Would Led Zeppelin DVD on Blue-Ray make sense?

donald

A question for people with some technical knowledge: Would a high definition re-release of Led Zeppelin DVD (from 2003) on Blue-Ray disc make any sense? Would it actually enhance the visual quality and sharpness? Or would it be pointless because much of the material is video and probably not very high resolution anyway (Earls Court, Knebworth)? On the other hand, some of the material was shot on film (Albert Hall, MSG, perhaps Denmarks radio) and should enable higher resolution. Or am I totally mixing things up here? Knebworth looks partly clearer than Albert Hall, so perhaps the assumption film > video is not necessarily true?

Anyway, would a high definition release bring a significant improvement?

DVD is a low-res format compared to these new HD things, of course the quality will be better as the image and sound is compressed less. All sources, whether they be film or video masters are compressed onto DVD.

If you have less compression you have higher resolution.

DVD is a low-res format compared to these new HD things, of course the quality will be better as the image and sound is compressed less. All sources, whether they be film or video masters are compressed onto DVD.

If you have less compression you have higher resolution.

Understand, thanks. Didn't know that image quality was limited that much by compression. So I guess sooner or later a Blue-ray version of Led Zeppelin DVD will be released.

Only if you have a 1080P DVD player hooked to a 1080P TV with HDMI cable will you any significant improvement. Thats the dirty secret about the HD - only video shot with HD full 1080P cameras will be true HD. That video is very limited right now as the amount of data is HUGE. SRTS was shot in 480i so the HD discs are just artificially enhanced by computer. Thats what the HD players and TVs do to the signal they just upconvert by artificially enhansing contrast, brigthness, limiting artifacts, etc . So I would advise only buying the HD discs if you already have a full HD setup - player and Tv at 1080P, not 720P, not 1080i. If not the regular disc shown on a 720P and 1080i set is just superb! Of course the best way to spend your money is on the BOSE surround sound systems that are out there driven by a high quality surround receiver!

Only if you have a 1080P DVD player hooked to a 1080P TV with HDMI cable will you any significant improvement. Thats the dirty secret about the HD - only video shot with HD full 1080P cameras will be true HD. That video is very limited right now as the amount of data is HUGE. SRTS was shot in 480i so the HD discs are just artificially enhanced by computer. Thats what the HD players and TVs do to the signal they just upconvert by artificially enhansing contrast, brigthness, limiting artifacts, etc . So I would advise only buying the HD discs if you already have a full HD setup - player and Tv at 1080P, not 720P, not 1080i. If not the regular disc shown on a 720P and 1080i set is just superb! Of course the best way to spend your money is on the BOSE surround sound systems that are out there driven by a high quality surround receiver!

Thanks. Sorry if this sounds stupid, I don't know much about these things, but I always thought TSRTS was shot on 35mm film. Wouldn't that be a perfect basis for extremely high resolution? Shouldn't this enable 1080P video mode? Not merely through digital optimization but through the use of higher resolution source material?

Thanks. Sorry if this sounds stupid, I don't know much about these things, but I always thought TSRTS was shot on 35mm film. Wouldn't that be a perfect basis for extremely high resolution? Shouldn't this enable 1080P video mode? Not merely through digital optimization but through the use of higher resolution source material?

Correct, TSRTS was shot on 35mm and 16mm (16mm for the behind the scenes).

There are 2 limiting factors to the resolution/quality of a home video release.

1. The state of the negative/print which is to be scanned. If there is dirt, scratches, hairs and colour fading in the stock, the image quality is reduced. This can be cleaned up by an expensive restoration process.

2. The resolution at which this print is scanned.

It is also correct that to get the full benefit of the HD, you need all of your components to be HD-compatable as well.

I think, however, that people are confused that to release something on Blu-Ray it needs to be of an HD quality. This is not correct, you could release a Chaplin film on Blu-Ray if you wanted. You won't see any real difference in the image quality, but there is no reason why it couldn't be done.

Correct, TSRTS was shot on 35mm and 16mm (16mm for the behind the scenes).

There are 2 limiting factors to the resolution/quality of a home video release.

1. The state of the negative/print which is to be scanned. If there is dirt, scratches, hairs and colour fading in the stock, the image quality is reduced. This can be cleaned up by an expensive restoration process.

2. The resolution at which this print is scanned.

It is also correct that to get the full benefit of the HD, you need all of your components to be HD-compatable as well.

I think, however, that people are confused that to release something on Blu-Ray it needs to be of an HD quality. This is not correct, you could release a Chaplin film on Blu-Ray if you wanted. You won't see any real difference in the image quality, but there is no reason why it couldn't be done.

Thanks again! I'm beginning to understand a few things...

Archived