More geeky info re o2 gig from Front of House Mag

From Front of House Magazine

Av fun guys

Andy

Led Zeppelin Performs for Sold-Out Crowd with Meyer Sound

LONDON – Eighteen thousand fans packed London’s O2 Arena for the most anticipated concert in recent history. John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, Jason Bonham (son of original band member, John Bonham) and Jimmy Page played a two-hour, 16-song set through a Meyer Sound MILO system provided by UK-based sound rental company, Major Tom Ltd. At front of house, Big Mick mixed the band, while Roy Williams handled Plant’s vocal.

Major Tom Ltd., headed by Lars Brogaard, deployed a sound system comprised of 72 MILO high-power curvilinear loudspeakers, with a center hang of six MICA high power curvilinear loudspeakers, and 10 flown 700-HP subwoofers per side. Ground stacks included nine 700-HPs per side, and four MICAs per side for outfill. In addition, one MICA per side along with eight UPA-1Ps were strung across the stage lip for front fills. Three Galileo loudspeaker management systems handled 36 outputs, and a SIMÒ 3 audio analyzer was used by Meyer Sound’s Director of European Technical Support Luke Jenks to tune the system.

“It was an honor and privilege to participate in this iconic event,” says Brogaard. “There was a lot of pressure, but it’s always reassuring for us to know we’re working with the best sound equipment in the business. The entire crew from the engineers to the guys running the PA did a tremendous job.”

The 18,000 “chosen” (upwards of one million people registered a lottery for a chance to buy the 18,000 tickets at $255 a piece) began lining up outside the arena on the Friday before.

The sheer impact of Led Zeppelin’s influence on rock ‘n’ roll is echoed by the popularity among generations of fans who weren’t even born when the band first played, and also by the 300 million albums that have been sold to date. Monday’s crowd was a drop in the bucket compared to the estimated 400,000 people who attended their last two UK concerts, but their enthusiasm was no less contagious as the world’s greatest rock band played “Good Times Bad Times,” “Misty Mountain Hop,” “Stairway to Heaven,” “Dazed and Confused,” and “Whole Lotta Love” to the world’s most enthusiastic crowd, through the world’s greatest sound system.

For information, please visit www.meyersound.com.

Go here for more, um, "geeky" info:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ost&p=74158

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ost&p=75375

<_<

The link provided in this thread by KB is a promotional video from Meyer Sound (California, USA), manufacture of the line array system deployed at the O2 for the reunion gig.

If you look at the links on the Meyer promotion, you can sign up to get one of their groovy T-Shirts.

Enjoy the links provided in the thread copied above. Some nice photos of the FOH board available at the Meyer site. The thread itself was full of robust conversation about "the worst sound ever".

:blink:

"Geeky", indeed.

I was looking at the promotional video from Meyer Sound and wondering if Mick Hughes mixes things brightly to cut though all that hair and beard. Now that I know Robert had his own dedicated soundman and mixing desk with an output to the band desk, I can understand and forgive all the vocal feedback. I don't think this is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. I think this is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. This doesn't explain why it took so long to get Jimmy into every speaker in the house. Some locations you can hear both GTBT guitar solos, other locations you can hear neither. In any case, I think the vocals dominated the guitar the whole night.

From Front of House Magazine

Av fun guys

Andy

Led Zeppelin Performs for Sold-Out Crowd with Meyer Sound

LONDON – Eighteen thousand fans packed London’s O2 Arena for the most anticipated concert in recent history. John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, Jason Bonham (son of original band member, John Bonham) and Jimmy Page played a two-hour, 16-song set through a Meyer Sound MILO system provided by UK-based sound rental company, Major Tom Ltd. At front of house, Big Mick mixed the band, while Roy Williams handled Plant’s vocal.

Major Tom Ltd., headed by Lars Brogaard, deployed a sound system comprised of 72 MILO high-power curvilinear loudspeakers, with a center hang of six MICA high power curvilinear loudspeakers, and 10 flown 700-HP subwoofers per side. Ground stacks included nine 700-HPs per side, and four MICAs per side for outfill. In addition, one MICA per side along with eight UPA-1Ps were strung across the stage lip for front fills. Three Galileo loudspeaker management systems handled 36 outputs, and a SIMÒ 3 audio analyzer was used by Meyer Sound’s Director of European Technical Support Luke Jenks to tune the system.

“It was an honor and privilege to participate in this iconic event,” says Brogaard. “There was a lot of pressure, but it’s always reassuring for us to know we’re working with the best sound equipment in the business. The entire crew from the engineers to the guys running the PA did a tremendous job.”

The 18,000 “chosen” (upwards of one million people registered a lottery for a chance to buy the 18,000 tickets at $255 a piece) began lining up outside the arena on the Friday before.

The sheer impact of Led Zeppelin’s influence on rock ‘n’ roll is echoed by the popularity among generations of fans who weren’t even born when the band first played, and also by the 300 million albums that have been sold to date. Monday’s crowd was a drop in the bucket compared to the estimated 400,000 people who attended their last two UK concerts, but their enthusiasm was no less contagious as the world’s greatest rock band played “Good Times Bad Times,” “Misty Mountain Hop,” “Stairway to Heaven,” “Dazed and Confused,” and “Whole Lotta Love” to the world’s most enthusiastic crowd, through the world’s greatest sound system.

For information, please visit www.meyersound.com.

Nice info !!

http://www.wholelottamilo.com/

link "courtesy of Knebby's archive." ;)

Thanks Knebworth B :)

• 2 weeks later...
Now that I know Robert had his own dedicated soundman and mixing desk with an output to the band desk, I can understand and forgive all the vocal feedback. I don't think this is a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. I think this is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

Most likely the monitor engineer contributed to the feedback from vocals, it had probably been a while since Plant had played on stage with that much volume, and would be trying to push the foldback for as much power to maintain his pitching.

Archived