2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

53 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This doesn’t show regular season 

At the top of the page, where it now says "March", there's an arrow to the right. Click it and it will take you to April, then if you click it again, May and so forth.  

Edited by ebk

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm probably the only one catching on to this, but the balanced schedule doesn't mean more series with opponents outside of our division like I originally thought.

It just means the Mets will play more interleague series, which now has me agreeing with Sean that this seems very stupid. But then again, Manfred has come up with so many lame gimmicks for baseball the last several years, I really shouldn't be surprised... :rolleyes:

On 1/30/2023 at 8:01 PM, paul carruthers said:

I'm already wondering what the MLB online subscription package is going to cost and whether the games on Apple TV still won't be part of the package?

😒

I had purchased the MLB for last year on a monthly basis and canceled early.  So my credit card gets hit by an Apple purchase that my bank did not recognize and they declined it. Good thing. I looked into it, and canceled and replaced my card and found out that it was a $151 MLB season purchase through Apple for this year!!!!  Now I may still wind up buying it month by month, and depending on how well my Orioles do, keep it?  I have high hopes this season that we can at least get a Wild Card.  Why not with the lineup they have?  They have been rated as having the best young team around with prospects and all.  If Means comes back with no problems I like our rotation as well.  So there is your price based on last week.  $151 for the entire season. That is where you can access all the games on TV or on your cell phone.  Its pro rated so deals may be on the horizen based on how many subscriptions they sell?  They usually offer a free trial.  So you can jump on to see the opening day games, and then if it seems too pricey you can cancel and maybe get a better deal later on.

1 minute ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Let me be the first to pick the Baltimore Orioles to win the  AL East!!!!  Got it?

Somehow I sensed that coming. Btw, were you anticipating some sort of MLB contest, because I'm not doing it...

Anyway, I saw a blurb that said Manfred is keeping that stupid ass "free runner on 2nd base" rule--just adding to his legacy of dumb shit that keeps ruining this great game. I probably shouldn't say this, but Manfred is looking worse than when Bud fell asleep & roids fucked up the game...  :mad:

On 2/7/2023 at 6:19 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I had purchased the MLB for last year on a monthly basis and canceled early.  So my credit card gets hit by an Apple purchase that my bank did not recognize and they declined it. Good thing. I looked into it, and canceled and replaced my card and found out that it was a $151 MLB season purchase through Apple for this year!!!!  Now I may still wind up buying it month by month, and depending on how well my Orioles do, keep it?  I have high hopes this season that we can at least get a Wild Card.  Why not with the lineup they have?  They have been rated as having the best young team around with prospects and all.  If Means comes back with no problems I like our rotation as well.  So there is your price based on last week.  $151 for the entire season. That is where you can access all the games on TV or on your cell phone.  Its pro rated so deals may be on the horizen based on how many subscriptions they sell?  They usually offer a free trial.  So you can jump on to see the opening day games, and then if it seems too pricey you can cancel and maybe get a better deal later on.

I got an email from MLB a few days ago & it's definitely more affordable to pay by the month, only 25 bucks. Btw, I think I saw something in the fine print that all the games would be available, save for those blackout restrictions from local markets. Somehow, that affects me living in Jacksonville if the Mets ever travel to Tampa or Miami--I never get the games....  😑

On 2/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, paul carruthers said:

I got an email from MLB a few days ago & it's definitely more affordable to pay by the month, only 25 bucks. Btw, I think I saw something in the fine print that all the games would be available, save for those blackout restrictions from local markets. Somehow, that affects me living in Jacksonville if the Mets ever travel to Tampa or Miami--I never get the games....  😑

It makes no sense to me that they would black out the games there?  Its supposed to be a 100 mile radius.  As for your first question, no, it never crossed my mind about the contest.  I forgot about it to be honest.  Of course its much more work to do what Sean did in football.  In baseball I think we picked the division winners and wild cards?  

On 2/6/2023 at 11:13 AM, paul carruthers said:

Well, I'm probably the only one catching on to this, but the balanced schedule doesn't mean more series with opponents outside of our division like I originally thought.

It just means the Mets will play more interleague series, which now has me agreeing with Sean that this seems very stupid. But then again, Manfred has come up with so many lame gimmicks for baseball the last several years, I really shouldn't be surprised... :rolleyes:

That was exactly why I reacted negatively to the news. I want the Dodgers to play more games against division rivals (the Giants, Padres) and their historic National League rivals (Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Reds, etc.) than a bunch of stupid interleague games against the Angels, Rangers, Indians, etc. All of these interleague games dilute the fun and intrigue of the World Series, too. 

And no, I am not doing a baseball contest. I do not follow baseball closely enough to care to do a contest.

I was very optimistic about cutting down on division games if it meant seeing the Dodgers, Giants, or even the Cubs more often, but of course Manfred had to mess this one up too.

I don't know if I want to list all his blunders, but this will be up there with the free runner on 2nd base & the DH in the National League...

<_<

On 2/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, Strider said:

That was exactly why I reacted negatively to the news. I want the Dodgers to play more games against division rivals (the Giants, Padres) and their historic National League rivals (Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Reds, etc.) than a bunch of stupid interleague games against the Angels, Rangers, Indians, etc. All of these interleague games dilute the fun and intrigue of the World Series, too. 

And no, I am not doing a baseball contest. I do not follow baseball closely enough to care to do a contest.

I am going to disagree.  I think the interleague games are very interesting. Now I have not seen the schedule in depth.  I only checked the Orioles and it does not seem drastic in any way.  Have you noticed the NBA and how they are leaving teams in cities to play two games?  Likely to cut back on travel costs?  They have been doing it on a regular basis.  

Back to Pauls question on a contest?  Lets see a show of hands to how many are interested?  I doubt more than one will even read or see this post . We shall see.  SO   SHOW OF HANDS OF ANY INTERESTED IN A BASEBALL CONTEST PLEASE?  And that means all members of your family Walter.  LOL

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Well, not to repeat myself too much, but I think common sense would've been to play 2 more series with the Dodgers or Cardinals a year rather than playing every team from the AL. 

But again, Manfred seems full of shit ideas, like the new bases that look like pizza boxes... 📦 

Edited by paul carruthers

On 2/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, Strider said:

Exactly. I’d rather see more Yankees/Red Sox and Yankees/Astros games than dilute them with Yankees/Marlins and Yankees/Pirates games. Yuck. I don’t watch enough to pick anything at this point. I don’t even know how many teams actually make the playoffs anymore! 🤷🏻‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Walter said:

Exactly. I’d rather see more Yankees/Red Sox and Yankees/Astros games than dilute them with Yankees/Marlins and Yankees/Pirates games. Yuck. I don’t watch enough to pick anything at this point. I don’t even know how many teams actually make the playoffs anymore! 🤷🏻‍♂️

You and Strider are real good at sour grapes when your teams do not win.  You BOTH WATCH baseball. Come on. Please.  

But it looks like, NO CONTEST.  

I was thinking about that hole in the Mets lineup and whether or not it could be filled by a Shohei Ohtani? Or, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the new guys on the roster. This young catcher we called up is supposed to be good, so who knows...

I just know after last year not to get too hype about anything the Mets do until the final day of the regular season.... 🤔 

One of the saddest baseball episodes of my youth was watching Willie Mays at the end with the Mets.  I think watching Cabrera is worse.  I don't blame him for wanting to make an easy 30 mill.  I blame the Tigers for letting him do it.  He should have been paid off a year ago, and probably before if it wasn't for his quest for some milestones.  Now they're going to try and sell 'the farewell tour'.  The Tigers have done this in the past.  Victor Martinez, Trammel & Whitaker, and poor Carlos Guillen to name a few.  (Carlos would round 2nd base and you'd swear his leg was going to come off and end up in centerfield.)  Pay Miggy off and move on.

Verlander hits 40 just like Miggy, but with that smooth delivery, he's aging like fine wine.  I still never miss a chance to watch him pitch and had no doubt he was going to come back strong from that surgery.  Nothing's changed.  You might beat him, but you're going to hit a high 98 mph fastball in the 7th to do it.  I might even have to adopt the Mets this year.  Make millions playing a boy's game and go home and rest your head on Kate's pillows.  It's a hard, hard life. 

I had no idea Miggy was coming back for one more year. I thought he was going to pack it in last season like Pujols and the other Cardinals legends.

Bong-Man, you mentioned Mays with the Mets--and I'm sure I've come up with a few like that; Emmitt Smith with the Cardinals, or Shaq finishing his career with Cleveland & Boston. At least Albert went out on something of a high note with St. Louis. Not sure how Miggy is going to embarrass himself; can he even attempt to play 1st base anymore?

8 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

You and Strider are real good at sour grapes when your teams do not win.  You BOTH WATCH baseball. Come on. Please.  

But it looks like, NO CONTEST.  

It is more about that I don't want to spend my summer doing math. 

17 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I had no idea Miggy was coming back for one more year. I thought he was going to pack it in last season like Pujols and the other Cardinals legends.

Bong-Man, you mentioned Mays with the Mets--and I'm sure I've come up with a few like that; Emmitt Smith with the Cardinals, or Shaq finishing his career with Cleveland & Boston. At least Albert went out on something of a high note with St. Louis. Not sure how Miggy is going to embarrass himself; can he even attempt to play 1st base anymore?

Totally agree with you about Pujols.  He had 24 homers in only 109 games, and he saw the playoffs.  That's the way to go.  Miggy started out quite well last year, but his right knee is bone on bone, so he has no power left.  By June he blows out his hip and one of his biceps.  He also looks about 20 lbs. overweight.  They actually have betting pools around town as to when he'll first go on the disabled list.  This has been going on for 5 years now.  Considering his alimony payments and child support bills, he's not complaining.  

18 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

One of the saddest baseball episodes of my youth was watching Willie Mays at the end with the Mets.  I think watching Cabrera is worse.  I don't blame him for wanting to make an easy 30 mill.  I blame the Tigers for letting him do it.  He should have been paid off a year ago, and probably before if it wasn't for his quest for some milestones.  Now they're going to try and sell 'the farewell tour'.  The Tigers have done this in the past.  Victor Martinez, Trammel & Whitaker, and poor Carlos Guillen to name a few.  (Carlos would round 2nd base and you'd swear his leg was going to come off and end up in centerfield.)  Pay Miggy off and move on.

Verlander hits 40 just like Miggy, but with that smooth delivery, he's aging like fine wine.  I still never miss a chance to watch him pitch and had no doubt he was going to come back strong from that surgery.  Nothing's changed.  You might beat him, but you're going to hit a high 98 mph fastball in the 7th to do it.  I might even have to adopt the Mets this year.  Make millions playing a boy's game and go home and rest your head on Kate's pillows.  It's a hard, hard life. 

still remember during the stretch run old willie hit a pop up in the infield  and legged it out, maybe against the pirates, anyways mets kept winning