2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

On 3/13/2023 at 7:24 PM, paul carruthers said:

^^ Yeah, I'm going to really hate the new "balanced schedule," if I don't already....  :angry:

I cant believe my eyes. With all of the travel saving measures the NBA and NHL have implemented, keeping teams in a city for a second game to save on travel, I see at least 6 or 7 INTERLEAGUE  series on the schedule for my team!!!!!  And vs multiple divisions!!!  Unreal.  We have to play the Dodgers, Mets and Cardinals for Gods sake!!!!  That means less games vs Yankees and Red Sox of course.  It makes for interesting baseball I believe.  But I see more travel.  So is the DH rule now permanent in the National League?  Do you know?  Does anyone know?  

This pitch clock will be good.  Likely helps the offense.  Expect more runs.  Maybe. I really would like to have an experiment comparing a baseball from lest say 1975 to now?  Are they really juiced?

I like the pitch clock.  Now maybe baseball will be more exciting to watch than golf.  Not buying their logic on increasing the base size.  People will cut the corner rounding 2nd no matter how big or small you make it.  The bigger the base, the easier it is to jam a finger.  

They brought the centerfield fence at Comerica Park from 420ft. to 412ft., and also lowered the fence. This is the 2nd modification since the stadium was opened in 1999.  This will allow the Tigers to lose 12-5 as opposed to 10-3, and Miggy to hit 9 homers instead of 7. 

To answer one of your questions Rick, yes the DH is permanent in the NL. I wish they would just get rid of the damn thing in both leagues, but what does wishing get you?

I'm still a little worried about the clock if it means the trend of a lot of high scoring games will continue once the real season starts. Something about 10-8, or 12-5 ballgames that just never appealed to me....  :unsure:

Edited by paul carruthers

I just read that Rob Manfred is looking into speeding up the time it takes batboys and batgirls to retrieve balls and bats during the 2023 MLB season (and beyond).  Apparently, if it takes them too long to retrieve balls and bats he is thinking about asking teams to replace them with kids that can do a faster job.  Basically, he wants teams to "fire" the kids if he feels they are slowing down the game.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, it's just something I read.  

11 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

I just read that Rob Manfred is looking into speeding up the time it takes batboys and batgirls to retrieve balls and bats during the 2023 MLB season (and beyond).  Apparently, if it takes them too long to retrieve balls and bats he is thinking about asking teams to replace them with kids that can do a faster job.  Basically, he wants teams to "fire" the kids if he feels they are slowing down the game.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, it's just something I read.  

Never let a stupid idea interfere with Rob's job as MLB commisioner. That's been proven more than once....  :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Just bought box seats for Orioles at Tampa in June.  Ill be at Treasure Island also.  I am not sure Im crazy about these electronic tickets though.

E-tickets are great! Save them in your Apple Wallet and they are so easy to retrieve as you enter the event. Love Treasure Island! Have a great time, Rick.

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Never let a stupid idea interfere with Rob's job as MLB commisioner. That's been proven more than once....  :rolleyes:

This is because the commissioner hates baseball.  

21 hours ago, Walter said:

E-tickets are great! Save them in your Apple Wallet and they are so easy to retrieve as you enter the event. Love Treasure Island! Have a great time, Rick.

Thanks for advice.  Even though I have I phone and Apple laptop I have never used Apple pay?  I assume that is what you mean?  I have the tickets in my saved folder and on the MLB App.  I actually might have the chance to see two games as I will be on Treasure Island the night before when the Orioles are playing a night game.   My wife isnt going to two. No way.  The one we have the tickets for are box's.  It says "behind netting" on all seats behind the Orioles dugout.  I would have paid like $133 a ticket to be right behind the dugout.  Only two seats were left.  But I am only a few rows up and its like $65 a ticket instead.  So I settled for those.  Should be fine.  Never been to that stadium

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Thanks for advice.  Even though I have I phone and Apple laptop I have never used Apple pay?  I assume that is what you mean?  I have the tickets in my saved folder and on the MLB App.  I actually might have the chance to see two games as I will be on Treasure Island the night before when the Orioles are playing a night game.   My wife isnt going to two. No way.  The one we have the tickets for are box's.  It says "behind netting" on all seats behind the Orioles dugout.  I would have paid like $133 a ticket to be right behind the dugout.  Only two seats were left.  But I am only a few rows up and its like $65 a ticket instead.  So I settled for those.  Should be fine.  Never been to that stadium

All my tickets are in the MLB Ballpark app.  Works great.  

And all of the seats in the lower deck at all stadiums are now behind netting.  The nets go from foul pole to foul pole.  I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!

On 3/24/2023 at 7:44 PM, ebk said:

All my tickets are in the MLB Ballpark app.  Works great.  

And all of the seats in the lower deck at all stadiums are now behind netting.  The nets go from foul pole to foul pole.  I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!

Thanks Esther.  I will be in the box seats on June 21.  12:15 afternoon game.  The night before its possible I drive over and just get grandstand tickets?  Ill see how it goes.  Its not far at all from Treasure Island but not sure about tolls and all that stuff?  Clearwater was on our list but its farther than we thought.  To the northwest. We are going to Ocala straight from the airport.  To visit her parents for 3 nights.  Yuck.  The mother said, "only 3 nights?".  3 nights too long.  I can tolerate her much easier than him.   And guess what.  Direct flight there.  One stop on return flight.  Guess where?  Baltimore!!   But its an off day for O's.  They host the Mariners the after.  They are playing very well in these late stage pre season games. And the retired sports writer I have on my friends list, is actually predicting that the Orioles will finish "no worse than third in the division".  From the always pessimist, these words are very telling.  He believes they have a shot.  And for better than third.  I dare to say, who knows, they might be the surprise team in the big leagues this year?  Means not scheduled to pitch until July they say.  I am hoping maybe he is ready sooner.  But regardless, we can score. We just have to hope the pitching holds up.  If so, the sky is the limit.  Ill post a pic from the stadium for sure

Well, thanks to my cell service, I was able to get a free subscription of this year's MLB package. Of course, nothing is ever totally free, as I had to download the MLB app & pay 25 bucks a month for that. Beyond that, I can't complain--can't wait for Thursday....

On 3/27/2023 at 7:34 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Thanks Esther.  I will be in the box seats on June 21.  12:15 afternoon game.  The night before its possible I drive over and just get grandstand tickets?  Ill see how it goes.  Its not far at all from Treasure Island but not sure about tolls and all that stuff?  Clearwater was on our list but its farther than we thought.  To the northwest. We are going to Ocala straight from the airport.  To visit her parents for 3 nights.  Yuck.  The mother said, "only 3 nights?".  3 nights too long.  I can tolerate her much easier than him. 

:lol:

Are you flying into Tampa or Orlando? Clearwater isn't that far from Treasure Island, but you might just hit Clearwater on your trip from Ocala to Treasure Island, as it is close to downtown Tampa and easier than taking I-275 to St Pete. Downtown St Pete isn't that far from Treasure Island, it's pretty much due west from that part of the gulf coast. You shouldn't need to do any toll roads.

I remember when we drove out to St. Pete Beach, there was a small bridge that charged a toll.  So I guess it depends on how he gets off the island part and into St Pete proper. 

I agree that Clearwater isn't far from anything.  I just don't know why he (or anyone) would want to go to Clearwater after spring training is over...  ;) 

1 hour ago, ebk said:

I remember when we drove out to St. Pete Beach, there was a small bridge that charged a toll.  So I guess it depends on how he gets off the island part and into St Pete proper. 

I agree that Clearwater isn't far from anything.  I just don't know why he (or anyone) would want to go to Clearwater after spring training is over...  ;) 

St Pete beach is south of Treasure Island so you do have to take that toll bridge. As far as Clearwater, I love their beaches…it’s overpriced for sure. But, The Columbia restaurant is fab there! 

1 hour ago, Walter said:

St Pete beach is south of Treasure Island so you do have to take that toll bridge. As far as Clearwater, I love their beaches…it’s overpriced for sure. But, The Columbia restaurant is fab there! 

Haven't been to the one in Clearwater, but the original Columbia in Ybor City is incredible! We usually stop there for lunch on our way to the airport when we leave.  Someday, we will do that again...