2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

On 4/14/2023 at 12:27 AM, redrum said:

SF already off to mediocrity. 

What is going on with the Dodgers?   My O's are hanging tough but need their injured pitchers back asap.  Givens, Tate and most of all, Means

I see the Dodgers are 7-7 and in 2nd place, only 1 out of first and its early.  But last years early exit would set off alarms if I were there.  I would fire Roberts now. 

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

I'm just wondering how ugly today's Mets/A's game will be. Our pitcher has an ERA over 11, and the guy for Oakland has a 17.55 or something close to being that hideous. A sweep may definitely be in order for this series.

Btw, are all the sports team desperate to get out of Oakland because the city doesn't want to build new stadiums, or is there something else to it? Anyway, I guess it won't be long before there is a Las Vegas Athletics. Or maybe they will move to Montreal and become the new Expos...  :wacko:

Well, I guess it's official that the Athletics are finally going to leave that colossal dump in Oakland & move to Vegas. I guess Vegas is the new hotspot, since I hear they may be getting an NBA team in the future, to go along with all the other sports teams that city has been collecting. I always knew the A's played in a shit ballpark (no pun), but when I heard about the opossums, I knew they had to raise up & leave--maybe a few years too late....

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I guess it's official that the Athletics are finally going to leave that colossal dump in Oakland & move to Vegas. I guess Vegas is the new hotspot, since I hear they may be getting an NBA team in the future, to go along with all the other sports teams that city has been collecting. I always knew the A's played in a shit ballpark (no pun), but when I heard about the opossums, I knew they had to raise up & leave--maybe a few years too late....

Seriously?  A’s are moving to Vegas?  And why would you wave the white flag in April and concede the division to the Braves?  Yes they are good but so are the Mets and Buck.  I’m sure confident in my Orioles moving forward.  Bradish, Kramer, Wells, Gibson and Means when he is ready to me can be good enough given the loaded lineup we have! 

^^ I'm conceding the division because I know what team we have--major holes in the lineup as far as power & clutch hitting outside of Nimmo, Lindor and Alonso & now a very shaky starting rotation, what with Verlander still on the DL, Scherzer about to get popped with a 10 game suspension for the "rosin debacle," and the fact that outside of Senga, the new Japanese pitcher, the rest of the rotation is suspect (to say the least). 

Maybe the Mets can throw around some more money before the trade deadline to try & shore up some of those holes--but as presently constructed--there is no way we are beating the Braves; I'm just accepting reality.

Btw, here's a link to the A's story. According to this, they won't be the Las Vegas Athletics until 2025....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oakland-athletics-las-vegas-mlb-move-fee5bd0d

10 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

They probably can't afford the rent anymore and the crime  rate is #1. 

Before they made things worse for our community, yes, homicides did go down for a few years. Mayor Libby Schaaf wants to take credit for this as if she reduced crime, but in reality, she just priced the criminals out of Oakland with huge rent increases. It is not as surprising when you take in factors of the “New Oakland,” such as rent being too high for criminals and people being pushed out of Oakland to further away from cities like Tracy and Stockton. The fact that the murderers have already killed large numbers of each other off makes it understandable that we had a slight decrease in homicides for a few years as Oakland became unaffordable.

8 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ I'm conceding the division because I know what team we have--major holes in the lineup as far as power & clutch hitting outside of Nimmo, Lindor and Alonso & now a very shaky starting rotation, what with Verlander still on the DL, Scherzer about to get popped with a 10 game suspension for the "rosin debacle," and the fact that outside of Senga, the new Japanese pitcher, the rest of the rotation is suspect (to say the least). 

Maybe the Mets can throw around some more money before the trade deadline to try & shore up some of those holes--but as presently constructed--there is no way we are beating the Braves; I'm just accepting reality.

Btw, here's a link to the A's story. According to this, they won't be the Las Vegas Athletics until 2025....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oakland-athletics-las-vegas-mlb-move-fee5bd0d

Thanks Paul.  I had not heard of this.  They may be the worst team in baseball along with the Nats and maybe a couple others?  The Mets are expected to get a WC at least I would think. The Padres have problems too and so do the Dodgers all of a sudden.   What the hell is going on with Blake Snell in SD?  Not that I care about that Machado based team.  The Diamondbacks and Pirates are the early surprises in the NL and Texas has to be in the AL.  

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Damn, how many different cities have the Athletics represented?? 

One of my all time favorite matchups was Jim Palmer vs Vida Blue.  Vida Blue was some pitcher back in the 70s.  They had that series vs the Mets back then.  Did they not play the Mets twice in the series?  Maybe not.  I  know they played the Big Red Machine and upset them as did my Orioles in 70.  

11 minutes ago, ebk said:

Did they win?  It looks like a nice day - and great seats! 

No, the Shrimp lost the game 6-2, but the seats were excellent, especially later in the game when I got to move back a few rows to seats that were in the shade. Heat aside though, it was a good time...

37 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

No, the Shrimp lost the game 6-2, but the seats were excellent, especially later in the game when I got to move back a few rows to seats that were in the shade. Heat aside though, it was a good time...

Shade is very important!  I always try to get seats in the shade, although that's a tough one in a single-deck stadium.  

Glad you had a good time and hope you go again.  The season is just beginning!