2023 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

Tigers are on a bit of an unexpected roll.  Lol....sure was some lousy balls and strikes called last night, mostly against the Cardinals.  Looked like the fans behind the plate were about to storm the field in protest, but the Cards Manager did the honors for them.   

I never tire of watching these old clips.

https://www.detroitnews.com/videos/news/local/michigan-history/2023/05/06/1928-newsreel-tigers-take-series-yankees-first-time-5-years/11798703002/

Edited by Bong-Man

9 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Tigers are on a bit of an unexpected roll.  Lol....sure was some lousy balls and strikes called last night, mostly against the Cardinals.  Looked like the fans behind the plate were about to storm the field in protest, but the Cards Manager did the honors for them.   

I never tire of watching these old clips.

https://www.detroitnews.com/videos/news/local/michigan-history/2023/05/06/1928-newsreel-tigers-take-series-yankees-first-time-5-years/11798703002/

The horses sure get the mob to move. 

11 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

How refreshing it is watching this Orioles/Braves game. 2 teams with winning records & something to play for....

I am hoping we take this series today with Wells pitching.  Boston has somehow managed to win 8 in a row.  The Pirates have turned back into the same old Pirates.  The Yankees finally beat Tampa.  They needed that and I am actually happy they won.  We have Tampa coming in Monday.  Orioles have yet to lose an opening game of any series. Today I expect them to win with Wells.  Middle relievers Givens and Tate should be ready to go.  Rehabs done.   I see the Mets lost again. What is going on there?. 

They have John Means expected return date in mid July.  I am hoping sooner and I would think he is anxious to join his  team given the fabulous start.  If he is the same Means, he gives us a real shot in the arm.  Gives us a solid 5 man rotation.  But that is July.  Wells is pitching great and it would be nice to beat Atlanta and then Tampa

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

^^ The Mets offense is in a major slump & the starting rotation is beyond garbage, so far. Basically, all the fears I had about the Mets going into the season have come true so far. The best money you can buy if Mets management wanted a .500 ballclub....  :(

9 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Finally, the Saint Louis Cardinals are on a winning streak.   2 games.  Only 9 games out of first place.  (This post is meant to be funny, however, the Cardinals did win 2 games in a row).  

And we have lost 3 in  row.  All tough loss's.  One in extra innings vs Atlanta where our closer made one mistake and it killed us.  Last night we get great pitching from Gibson and lose a low scoring game.  Hopefully the kid, the rookie pitcher does well tonight. Tampa has everything bouncing their way right now.  Im not sure the Cardinals can overcome this?  But it is early.  The bigger concern is their pitching.  I would think?

My Tigers take 2 of 3 from Cleveland on the road and are actually entertaining to watch.  2 games under .500, and 2 games from the divisional lead in a lousy division.  I hope they wait until at least July 1st to see how things play out before trading their best pitcher.  I'm also becoming a big fan of 2hour and 15-minute games.

49 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

I just started watching the Padres/Twins game & one smart decision the Mets front office made was not paying out a huge contract to Carlos Correa....

Given the cheating in 2017 any Astro stats from that year are suspect.   In 2017 Correa hit a career high .315.  HIs career avg is .276 and it is only .270 with 2017 not included.   

Altuve fared about the same.  In 2017 he hit .346.  His career avg is .307, and .303 if you do not include 2017.

So for both of them, the 2017 avg was .039 higher than the career avg.

They are the two Astros cheaters from 2017 who had the largest benefit from cheating.

Mets getting shutout by the Nationals, now I just sit through these Mets games with snack food & try not to elevate my blood pressure too much. The Mets and common sense don't seem to be 2 things that go together often, so they will never call up Vientos and Mauricio from Triple A & try to give the offense the swift kick in the ass it needs...

:mad:

Edited by paul carruthers

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I guess the Pittsburgh Pirates have reverted back to type, being a mediocre franchise. I guess in that weak division, the Cardinals could get hot & chase down whoever is in 1st place....   

Obviously, being a Saint Louis Cardinals I really hope this happens.  However, at the moment, I am somewhat skeptical this will happen.  It seems that the Cardinals came into the season with a strong lineup, but their starting pitching has been very unreliable and extremely inconsistent.  That also includes their bullpen.  Alot of blown leads and saves.  I will give it to the All-Star break and reevaluate.  If the Cardinals pitching is still the way they have been, I will not have much hope for the remainder of the season.  However, I will always remain an adamant and staunch supporter of the Saint Louis Cardinals, win or lose.  15 consecutive years with a winning record/season for the Cardinals is still an impressive accomplishment.  The Cardinals rank 3rd with a winning record since the year 2000 (behind the Yankees and the Dodgers).  In my mind the season is still early enough that anything is possible for any team except the Oakland A's.  

There have been a few early surprises, the Texas Rangers and Ricks and ebk's Baltimore Orioles being two of them.  

GO CARDINALS!!!

6 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Obviously, being a Saint Louis Cardinals I really hope this happens.  However, at the moment, I am somewhat skeptical this will happen.  It seems that the Cardinals came into the season with a strong lineup, but their starting pitching has been very unreliable and extremely inconsistent.  That also includes their bullpen.  Alot of blown leads and saves.  I will give it to the All-Star break and reevaluate.  If the Cardinals pitching is still the way they have been, I will not have much hope for the remainder of the season.  However, I will always remain an adamant and staunch supporter of the Saint Louis Cardinals, win or lose.  15 consecutive years with a winning record/season for the Cardinals is still an impressive accomplishment.  The Cardinals rank 3rd with a winning record since the year 2000 (behind the Yankees and the Dodgers).  In my mind the season is still early enough that anything is possible for any team except the Oakland A's.  

There have been a few early surprises, the Texas Rangers and Ricks and ebk's Baltimore Orioles being two of them.  

GO CARDINALS!!!

Nice back to back wins in Boston King!  Thanks for the help.  We will try to return the favor vs the Pirates .

19 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Nice back to back wins in Boston King!  Thanks for the help.  We will try to return the favor vs the Pirates .

Glad to help even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it.  (Again, trying to be funny).  As I mentioned earlier, the Cardinals need all the help they can get at this point.  Most notably from themselves.  Another 2 game winning streak now puts the Cards at 15-25 just 7 games out of 1st.  For this year and this year only, anytime the Orioles play any team in the NL Central I will be rooting for your Orioles.  

51 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

Glad to help even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it.  (Again, trying to be funny).  As I mentioned earlier, the Cardinals need all the help they can get at this point.  Most notably from themselves.  Another 2 game winning streak now puts the Cards at 15-25 just 7 games out of 1st.  For this year and this year only, anytime the Orioles play any team in the NL Central I will be rooting for your Orioles.  

The Orioles have a good young team.  We are in a tough division.  I have box seats to see them in Tampa in June

6 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The Orioles have a good young team.  We are in a tough division.  I have box seats to see them in Tampa in June

Yes, you do.  Yes, you are.  The Cardinals are coming to Arlington, Texas to play the Rangers next month, June 5th, 6th and 7th.  I am going to go to at least one of those games.  Possibly two.  Regardless of the Cardinals record at that time, I will be wearing one of a myriad of my Saint Louis Cardinals t-shirts or my Molina jersey.  It has been a few years since the Cardinals came to Texas to play the Rangers.  Good luck and have fun seeing the Orioles in Tampa.  

13 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

Yes, you do.  Yes, you are.  The Cardinals are coming to Arlington, Texas to play the Rangers next month, June 5th, 6th and 7th.  I am going to go to at least one of those games.  Possibly two.  Regardless of the Cardinals record at that time, I will be wearing one of a myriad of my Saint Louis Cardinals t-shirts or my Molina jersey.  It has been a few years since the Cardinals came to Texas to play the Rangers.  Good luck and have fun seeing the Orioles in Tampa.  

And Texas May have a shot in West.  So far so good. 2-0 Orioles in the 7 th.  One hitter for Wells.  We are going to get Means back at some point.  They say July.  Young staff hanging tough.  Have fun in Texas.  I may have the chance to see 2 in Tampa.  Will be a tough series.  Hotel booked

7 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Orioles win.  2-0 shutout gets them to 26-13.  2nd best in baseball.  Only 3 back.  Tampa beat in slugfest by Yankees

2 good games!  I'm sure they'll lose tomorrow when I'm there...