Git

california girl

It's an English term, & it isn't particularly offensive.

Not just meaning an idiot, it can also mean nasty - a "gittish thing to do" is something very mean.

It does have a hard sound to it - you can really spit it out - and because of that it can sometimes be used when you want to add emphasis, but don't want to resort to anything stronger.

Does anyone know what this word means? I don't want to use it if it's a bad word. I heard Jimmy say it in an interview when he was talking about the person who, "nipped my guitar at the airport".

Isn't English slang wonderful (but complex)?! :D

Yes, Lady Raven has the definition of "git " spot on. - Although I haven't heard the interview myself, as a fellow English person, I'm sure Jimmy wouldn't have said "nipped" when talking about something that had been stolen - what he would have said is "nicked". (To nick something means to steal it.)

Thanks for startting this topic lilith. I had wondered what a git was since reading a tour guide of the Black Country and someone was commenting on restaurants. They called Robert Plant "a loud mouth git" who frequented restaurants in the area. :lol:

Yes, Lady Raven has the definition of "git " spot on. - Although I haven't heard the interview myself, as a fellow English person, I'm sure Jimmy wouldn't have said "nipped" when talking about something that had been stolen - what he would have said is "nicked". (To nick something means to steal it.)

Thank-you. I think that's the word I was looking for.

Thank-you. I will now proceed to use it, because I know a lot of Gits. I'm already using his other words such as, "Shambolic", and "Mondo Bazarro". Thanks guys for the language lesson.

Nice one, California Girl! I like the idea of you using "Jimmy Speak" as a subset of American English! :lol: I bet it confuses people, eh?!

If there are any other idiomatic or slang words used by our Zep heroes that you need explaining, this is the place to come ... there's bound to be someone on the boards who knows what they mean!!!

Nice one, California Girl! I like the idea of you using "Jimmy Speak" as a subset of American English! :lol: I bet it confuses people, eh?!

If there are any other idiomatic or slang words used by our Zep heroes that you need explaining, this is the place to come ... there's bound to be someone on the boards who knows what they mean!!!

Actually, when I said Shambolic to another oerson here, he knew what it meant, and he laughed. I must say, though, that my daughter knows what a "lemon" means, thanks to Robert. And "Garden " has a whole new meaning.too. So when I tell her to "watch out for those lemons", she blushes. Then we start talking about "lemonade", then it gets funny. Thanks Robert.

And, thanks for the offer. I'll surely ask.

I like it when people get confused.

I don't care what these people say!

• 2 months later...

Thanks, lilith, for setting me straight. I hate to "butcher" someone else's language. So, do you think us "yanks" speak 'slang" english. since we have a melting pot of cultures over here, we added a little bit of everything to the language over the years.

This is very educational. What do you say when you're frustrated with a situation or a person who "butts in" to your business?

This is very educational. What do you say when you're frustrated with a situation or a person who "butts in" to your business?

Piss off you stupid prat? I don't know if there's a slang term for that sort of situation, it's mostly just words.

I like phrases like:

Me old man's banged up in the nick

&

'ere, that frog don't half know about grub

Hmm ... if I'm frustrated with a situation, I'd probably say "Oh, bollocks!", or if I was in polite company, "Oh, sugar!" ("Sugar". said with venom, is a euphemism for "shit" in UK English.)

If someone is butting in, I'd probably say "Oi! Keep your nose out!". However, in polite company, I'd probably just lower my eyebrows and give them a hard stare ... that usually shuts them up!

I love the English language, in all its' forms and variations - I have picked up some US slang or colloquialisms from this board, which I love! :D

If someone is butting in, I'd probably say "Oi! Keep your nose out!". However, in polite company, I'd probably just lower my eyebrows and give them a hard stare ... that usually shuts them up!

On yer bike, yer dirty toe-rag...

Thank-you. I will now proceed to use it, because I know a lot of Gits. I'm already using his other words such as, "Shambolic", and "Mondo Bazarro". Thanks guys for the language lesson.

That is why I used that word for my name. I guess I'm a little : U.K. disorderly or chaotic: poorly organized and in a messy or chaotic state :rolleyes: I guess Jimmy used it one time in a statement so I took a fancy to it!

Lyrics from "I'm So Tired" by The Beatles...

I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset

Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette

And curse Sir Walter Raleigh.

He was such a stupid git.

And not forgetting The Monkees song ~ Randy Scouse Git

Prat, git and sod really crack me up. I don't know why.

:lol: you silly Americans and you're bad grasp of Irish/English slang is funny!

"Twat",the word actually means "pregnant goldfish" and is a favourite light-insult,git though,means nothing,you're all gits,it's not offensive at all.

A weird Irish expression?"Happy as Larry",no one knows who Larry is,but he's happy.

Archived