Not sure if this has been discussed here or not,  David Bowie's song "Dead Man Walking" that Jimmy Page contributed the 'basic' guitar part for. I've always wondered what he thought of the finished song. The YT links to Bowie and Reeves Gabrels discussing the song are below.

I also wonder why JP never found his own "Alison Krauss" to work and perform with over the years for his acoustic material. There's always Roy Harper I guess.

Reeves Gabrels talks about the third single from David Bowies 'Earthling' album. “Dead Man Walking’ and the guitar part Jimmy Page gave Bowie.

David Bowie telling the story of the song “Dead Man Walking” on Conan O’brien.

Yes, Jimmy played guitar on the session for I Pity The Fool, one of Bowie's early attempts at an r 'n' b 7", in 1965. One of the first times Jimmy used a fuzzbox on a recording, apparently. He casually gave Bowie a riff, which he eventually used on The Supermen in 1970. Bowie sings it like Norman Wisdom if he'd been in PiL, but it's a classic metal riff - unfortunately, Mick Ronson's guitar is buried so low in the mix, you can barely hear it! Even on the recent remix, you have to strain to pick it out - frustrating as all hell because Ronson's sound is glorious. Why can't the rhythm part be as loud as the little Beck-style lead line he plays near the end? Grrrr. There's also the rearranged version that they did for the Glastonbury Fayre album in 1971 - Ronno's a bit louder on that (but still nowhere near enough!), but it doesn't have the stabbing riff under the verses.  Why Bowie re-used the riff on Dead Man Walking decades later, I dunno.

Edited by Brigante

The controversial  “cowboy” album cover, with DB’s US record company not quite ready to promote him in a dress… Only then for all the cowboys to show up to a gig and watch him on stage in lipstick and eye makeup dry humping Ronson’s guitar. (His Gibson does sound incredible)

I have to admit not really knowing Norman Wisdom but did enjoy 1965 “Pity The Fool”  Thanks for sharing.

No worries, mate. Norman Wisdom was a little cheeky chappie comic actor whose voice used to get really histrionic when he got panicky. According to Visconti, when they all lived at Haddon Hall, Ronson once had too many shandies when they were in the pub and took the piss, laughing that Bowie was singing a song like Norman Wisdom! The only thing I think it could be is The Supermen - the 'turn to mould' verse on TMWSTW version is a deadringer for Norman! Did Bowie take it all in good part and go along with the joke? Not really... 

Edited by Brigante

Indeed. Ronson was an arranger, rather than a writer, but as Ian Hunter said: 'Mick made any song better.' 
There's a really good documentary about Ronno called 'Beside Bowie' - good place to start.

Edited by Brigante