Jump to content

Montreux 1971 second night mystery


duckman

Recommended Posts

For.a very brief period Amazon.uk had one of these grey market live cd's for sale ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Montreux-1971-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B0B5F1VH81/ref=rvi_sccl_1/261-6366955-3726215?pd_rd_w=6xcjv&content-id=amzn1.sym.febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_p=febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_r=BTXP7MY3YEH5QGPNTMHV&pd_rd_wg=XiXN7&pd_rd_r=5d53090e-e60f-4852-9a4f-f310c9d0e4fe&pd_rd_i=B0B5F1VH81&psc=1

Supposedly this second night at the Montreux casino was culled from a broadcast on Radio Suisse. However judging by the label (London Calling) I would tend to dismiss it as a hoax. 

Claude Nobs recorded his acts and some of them were indeed broadcasted (like the March 1970 show for instance). The Previous night  was documented on a fairly decent AUD recording. A superb performance, but given the borderline quality recording nothing that would appeal to casual fan. Now , the only reviewer on Amazon of this nifty looking release calls it 'the greatest Zp Live album ever'. The initial asking price -as with many of these off the air releases- was not exaggerated, so I would definitely give it a try....If it was available . Unfortunately it isn't.

Anyone else here who heard it or knows about the actual content? 

Edited by duckman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, duckman said:

For.a very brief period Amazon.uk had one of these grey market live cd's for sale ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Montreux-1971-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B0B5F1VH81/ref=rvi_sccl_1/261-6366955-3726215?pd_rd_w=6xcjv&content-id=amzn1.sym.febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_p=febd3956-4d60-4288-b8f2-cb468eb6674d&pf_rd_r=BTXP7MY3YEH5QGPNTMHV&pd_rd_wg=XiXN7&pd_rd_r=5d53090e-e60f-4852-9a4f-f310c9d0e4fe&pd_rd_i=B0B5F1VH81&psc=1

Supposedly this second night at the Montreux casino was culled from a broadcast on Radio Suisse. However judging by the label (London Calling) I would tend to dismiss it as a hoax. 

Claude Nobs recorded his acts and some of them were indeed broadcasted (like the March 1970 show for instance). The Previous night  was documented on a fairly decent AUD recording. A superb performance, but given the borderline quality recording nothing that would appeal to casual fan. Now , the only reviewer on Amazon of this nifty looking release calls it 'the greatest Zp Live album ever'. The initial asking price -as with many of these off the air releases- was not exaggerated, so I would definitely give it a try....If it was available . Unfortunately it isn't.

Anyone else here who heard it or knows about the actual content? 

I may be wrong but is this the show that was recorded outside the venue or was that the previous night?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Clearly a fake. The setlist is obviously the 1970 show.

According to a review on Amazon, "Actual track listing is
Disc 1: 1. Immigrant Song / 2. Heartbreaker / 3. Since I've Been Loving You / 4. Black Dog / 5. Dazed And Confused / 6. Stairway To Heaven.
Disc 2: 1. Going To California / 2. That's The Way / 3. Celebration Day / 4. Moby Dick / 5. Whole Lotta Love (medley)
as that listed in the amazon listing is incorrect"

If that list is correct, seems like this is from '71. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

According to a review on Amazon, "Actual track listing is
Disc 1: 1. Immigrant Song / 2. Heartbreaker / 3. Since I've Been Loving You / 4. Black Dog / 5. Dazed And Confused / 6. Stairway To Heaven.
Disc 2: 1. Going To California / 2. That's The Way / 3. Celebration Day / 4. Moby Dick / 5. Whole Lotta Love (medley)
as that listed in the amazon listing is incorrect"

If that list is correct, seems like this is from '71. 

Initially I thought; OK that's  March 1970. After seeing the review with the 71 setlist, I was thinking it could be the first night. (Albeit without Weekend). The greatest Live Zep album???? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, duckman said:

Initially I thought; OK that's  March 1970. After seeing the review with the 71 setlist, I was thinking it could be the first night. (Albeit without Weekend). The greatest Live Zep album???? 

The description on Amazon specifically mentions the second night. Who knows. Seems worth risking a fairly small amount of money on in case it's legit, although there currently aren't any copies available to purchase.

Edited by SteveZ98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Clearly a fake. The setlist is obviously the 1970 show.

No. The March 1970 show kicks off with We're Gonna Groove and is an excellent show. The set list was very similar to The Albert Hall Show earlier in the year. If it was from 1971 then they would have  opened with Immigrant Song

Edited by chillumpuffer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No. The March 1970 show kicks off with We're Gonna Groove and is an excellent show. The set list was very similar to The Albert Hall Show earlier in the year. If it was from 1971 then they would have  opened with Immigrant Song

 

On the main track listing, they have the 1970 tracklist:

Screenshot2023-02-23160529.thumb.png.0991aceaada95c64140a827dc0bf4efc.png

 

"About the artist" has the 71 tracklist. Either way, looks like a scam

Edited by zeplz71
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...