What key is this song in?

Long time guitar player here and I wanna add this to a project but I can not hear what key it is in. Closest I can hear is D#/Eb. 

I have put it into some online key finders and they came up with 3 different keys. And the more I listen and jam with it the more confused I get. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nrIM6LfAGs&t=373s

17 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Long time guitar player here and I wanna add this to a project but I can not hear what key it is in. Closest I can hear is D#/Eb. 

I have put it into some online key finders and they came up with 3 different keys. And the more I listen and jam with it the more confused I get. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nrIM6LfAGs&t=373s

If you've posted the correct YouTube link... then you're asking what 'key' an hour and ten minutes of a drone is in?

It's pretty much one note, and that's an E.  The note starts very flat, and finally ends up almost settling on that E.... it's still pretty flat (compared to concert pitch) but it's still an E.

You can't really say it's in a 'key' because there's no other harmonic information..... if there was a G in there you could say it was E minor.  If there was a G# you could say it was in G major.
It's simply a drone, and you can add your own tonality to it by playing different scales or pitches over it.  Any diatonic scale or modal scale with E as the root will work equally well.

Maybe it does something else as it goes along..... but I'm not really prepared to listen to over an hour of a tonic drone just to hear if they add some major or minor information to it 😳

If you're obliquely asking about the apparent 'healing qualities' of the 852Hz & 963Hz stuff, be prepared to go down an absolute rabbit-hole of unevidenced and contradictory information. I'd strongly advise not wasting your time!
852Hz is about halfway between G# and A, so not really harmonically useful (especially as it's a couple of octaves above the drone note). 963Hz is about halfway between A# and B - again not useful harmonically in relation to E (it's almost the dominant... but that doesn't give you 'key' information), and it also creates a dissonant interval combined with 852Hz.

Edited by woz70

1 hour ago, woz70 said:

If you've posted the correct YouTube link... then you're asking what 'key' an hour and ten minutes of a drone is in?

It's pretty much one note, and that's an E.  The note starts very flat, and finally ends up almost settling on that E.... it's still pretty flat (compared to concert pitch) but it's still an E.

You can't really say it's in a 'key' because there's no other harmonic information..... if there was a G in there you could say it was E minor.  If there was a G# you could say it was in G major.
It's simply a drone, and you can add your own tonality to it by playing different scales or pitches over it.  Any diatonic scale or modal scale with E as the root will work equally well.

Maybe it does something else as it goes along..... but I'm not really prepared to listen to over an hour of a tonic drone just to hear if they add some major or minor information to it 😳

If you're obliquely asking about the apparent 'healing qualities' of the 852Hz & 963Hz stuff, be prepared to go down an absolute rabbit-hole of unevidenced and contradictory information. I'd strongly advise not wasting your time!
852Hz is about halfway between G# and A, so not really harmonically useful (especially as it's a couple of octaves above the drone note). 963Hz is about halfway between A# and B - again not useful harmonically in relation to E (it's almost the dominant... but that doesn't give you 'key' information), and it also creates a dissonant interval combined with 852Hz.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. I have been reading up what it is and the Solfeggio frequencies aka "The Holy Frequencies". I find this stuff truly fascinating. It is relieving to know the note fluctuates slightly cause I was struggling to get it. I find that jamming in B with it sounds pretty good. 

Ya learn something everyday. 

52 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

I have been reading up what it is and the Solfeggio frequencies aka "The Holy Frequencies".

The Solfeggio Frequencies (as opposed to Solfeggio which is the name given to the Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do system of denoting diatonic pitches, still used in teaching singing today) is a load of dodgy numerology, supposition, incorrect reapplication of terminology, conspiracy theory and downright misinformation, all leading to/from the idea that having A=440Hz as concert pitch is "designed" to be unhealthy for us. 

It's all (more then) a bit hokey.  There are much more useful things to waste your time on. Like playing the guitar.....😊

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Solfeggio_frequencies

Edited by woz70

On 3/9/2023 at 6:14 AM, woz70 said:

The Solfeggio Frequencies (as opposed to Solfeggio which is the name given to the Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do system of denoting diatonic pitches, still used in teaching singing today) is a load of dodgy numerology, supposition, incorrect reapplication of terminology, conspiracy theory and downright misinformation, all leading to/from the idea that having A=440Hz as concert pitch is "designed" to be unhealthy for us. 

It's all (more then) a bit hokey.  There are much more useful things to waste your time on. Like playing the guitar.....😊

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Solfeggio_frequencies

Your explanations are always so on point and well thought out. Thank you for explaining these things to a novice like myself when it comes to guitar. Shout out to Woz 70. Have a great weekend. 

8 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Your explanations are always so on point and well thought out. Thank you for explaining these things to a novice like myself when it comes to guitar. Shout out to Woz 70. Have a great weekend. 

Aw shucks *embarrassed face*.  Thank you.
Have great weekend yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 4:11 AM, woz70 said:

Aw shucks *embarrassed face*.  Thank you.
Have great weekend yourself.

Seriously, thank you for all the insight into how recordings and the process works. I have several musicians in my family. None of them explain it the way you do.