Houses of the Holy 50th anniversary, JP Posts rare Rain Song demo

zeplz71

'Houses of the Holy' by Led Zeppelin was released

On this day, 50 years ago to the day, ‘Houses of the Holy’ was released.

My original idea for the opening tracks for ‘Houses of the Holy’ was that a short overture would be a rousing instrumental introduction with layered electric guitars that would segue in to ’The Seasons’, later to be titled ‘The Rain Song’. Again there would be a contrasting acoustic guitar instrumental movement with melotron that could lead to the first vocal of the album and the first verse of the song.  

‘The Seasons’ was a memo to myself as a reminder of the sequence of the song and various ideas I’d had for it in its embryonic stage. I’d worked on it over one evening at home. During the routining of the overture now titled ‘The Plumpton and Worcester Races’, the half time section was born and the overture shaped in to the song, ‘The Song Remains The Same’.  These rehearsals were done in Puddle Town on the River Piddle in Dorset, UK.

The first set of recordings were done at Olympic Studios with George Chkiantz.

We then came to record at Stargroves, Sir Mick Jagger’s country home, and, like Headley Grange, with the Rolling Stones recording truck.

‘The Song Remains The Same’ was played on a Fender 12 string, the same one used on Becks Bolero, with my trusty Les Paul number 1 on overdubs in a standard turning.  The ‘Rain Song’ was an unorthodox tuning on acoustic and electric guitars.  On live shows, it became a work-out feature for the double neck.

Damn, wonderful listen! Love the part at 4:07 and to hear all the acoustic guitars so clearly. 

This makes me glad to be alive. I am 57 years old and been listening to Zep since I was 13 and they can still give me goosebumps. 

Thanks for the post my friend. 

From a 2014 interview with Jimmy Page:

Has any of this kind of material been lost over the years?

Yes. I had a home demo of The Rain Song (from Houses Of The Holy). but unfortunately the tapes have been lost. Which is a real bastard.

**Was this a fully formed version of the song?**

Yes. I literally had the full piece from beginning to end. I had the Mellotron idea and everything on it. But the version of The Rain Song on the new companion disk is a really cool one. It's got less piano on it, so you get more of the guitar textures. I really like the version that we did on (1976 live album) The Song Remains The Same. I thought we were working it really well. These songs, you see, they're recorded and they come out on an album, and then they were included in the live set, and they would start to mutate. That was what was so good about it. So the live version on The Song Remains The Same is quite different to how it is on the studio version.

**Does that explain why Led Zeppelin was a one-band bootleg industry?**

At one point I think it was (laughs). But that's the thing with doing concerts differently every night, you see.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/interview-jimmy-page

From a 2020 Rolling Stone interview:

Have you discovered any new recordings since completing the box-sets project?

I recently found a really early [personal demo] tape that had been missing for a long while, but it's got the full orchestration of "Rain Song." It goes all through to the very end, the same way that you know it, even with the bit in the middle where it goes a bit heavier, before it goes back the the light and caressing parts. It's all in there, the Mellotron and everything. And it's not played as well, like the John Paul Jones version, because I knew he could do a really good job on it. But it''s there, every part of it, every phrase is there, slightly different. And then you hear things that didn't get used.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jimmy-page-anthology-interview-bonham-led-zeppelin-1074825/

3 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Yes. I had a home demo of The Rain Song (from Houses Of The Holy). but unfortunately the tapes have been lost. Which is a real bastard.

Yes. I literally had the full piece from beginning to end. I had the Mellotron idea and everything on it. But the version of The Rain Song on the new companion disk is a really cool one. It's got less piano on it, so you get more of the guitar textures. I really like the version that we did on (1976 live album) The Song Remains The Same. I thought we were working it really well. These songs, you see, they're recorded and they come out on an album, and then they were included in the live set, and they would start to mutate. That was what was so good about it. So the live version on The Song Remains The Same is quite different to how it is on the studio version.

At one point I think it was (laughs). But that's the thing with doing concerts differently every night, you see.

I recently found a really early [personal demo] tape that had been missing for a long while, but it's got the full orchestration of "Rain Song." It goes all through to the very end, the same way that you know it, even with the bit in the middle where it goes a bit heavier, before it goes back the the light and caressing parts. It's all in there, the Mellotron and everything. And it's not played as well, like the John Paul Jones version, because I knew he could do a really good job on it. But it''s there, every part of it, every phrase is there, slightly different. And then you hear things that didn't get used.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jimmy-page-anthology-interview-bonham-led-zeppelin-1074825/

Great job, man. :goodpost:

Many times I feel HOTH is my favorite album but at other times I feel it's others. From my point of view all the band's studio albums are more than perfect, so my feeling of having a favorite one is like the wind: "they rise and fall".

14 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Well that explains it! Thanks for posting this. Glad Jimmy found the tape....

I must have listened to this a dozen times yesterday. I was so inspired that I immediately ran and made a play along video. I assume that's Jimmy playing the mellotron strings and flutes?

Edited by porgie66

10 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I must have listened to this a dozen times yesterday. I was so inspired that I immediately ran and made a play along video. I assume that's Jimmy playing the mellotron strings and flutes?

Yes, Jimmy is playing everything. It's a demo of the song he recorded at home while working on songs for the fifth album. That is why he was able to just put it out on his YouTube page. Because it is only Jimmy playing on the demo he didn't have to go through the red tape of getting permission from Plant, Jones, and the Bonham estate. The power of the veto is most likely the #1 reason keeping us from getting any archival live releases.

23 minutes ago, Strider said:

Yes, Jimmy is playing everything. It's a demo of the song he recorded at home while working on songs for the fifth album. That is why he was able to just put it out on his YouTube page. Because it is only Jimmy playing on the demo he didn't have to go through the red tape of getting permission from Plant, Jones, and the Bonham estate. The power of the veto is most likely the #1 reason keeping us from getting any archival live releases.

Thanks! Makes perfect sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 7:03 AM, Ian Smith said:

Damn, wonderful listen! Love the part at 4:07 and to hear all the acoustic guitars so clearly. 

This makes me glad to be alive. I am 57 years old and been listening to Zep since I was 13 and they can still give me goosebumps. 

Thanks for the post my friend. 

Man, that is amazing to read, and amazing to hear/know. I’m 46ish and started diving into them at about 12. Certainly as I grew up and was able to learn more about them my appreciation/obsession grew. But to read what you posted, or what Mr. Strider has posted has just been an inspiration. I was able to have my Mother and Father tell me stories of seeing them in 69-70 and 71. But, while they were absolutely fans, they were not as consumed as I was. I bring that up because to hear someone that is a decade older than myself, someone who has been dedicated and devoted. It is awesome to read your perspective of their maturations and changes. 

Have a great night, it’s pretty incredible that we have the amount of people that are devoted and invested in this group of men.

Thanks again. 

12 hours ago, Sped Spedding said:

What an album. 😍

Love your channel….. and I don’t even play guitar! Your lessons are really informative and I appreciate the cheeky sense of humour. Keep up the great work.👍

Here’s a great Houses of the Holy doc if you haven’t seen it yet. Well worth checking out. Cheers

On 4/8/2023 at 12:13 AM, Plant77 said:

Man, that is amazing to read, and amazing to hear/know. I’m 46ish and started diving into them at about 12. Certainly as I grew up and was able to learn more about them my appreciation/obsession grew. But to read what you posted, or what Mr. Strider has posted has just been an inspiration. I was able to have my Mother and Father tell me stories of seeing them in 69-70 and 71. But, while they were absolutely fans, they were not as consumed as I was. I bring that up because to hear someone that is a decade older than myself, someone who has been dedicated and devoted. It is awesome to read your perspective of their maturations and changes. 

Have a great night, it’s pretty incredible that we have the amount of people that are devoted and invested in this group of men.

Thanks again. 

You are very kind my friend, this made my day. 

I consider myself blessed that when I was 13 and heard Misty Mountain Hop my life was forever changed. When Bonham comes in I stood there stunned. I still remember that moment and can get it back everytime just by playing that song. 

And yep, they only get better. So many beautiful bootlegs out there as well. 

Have a great day and thanks again for your kindness. The world needs more of that. 

Few fave Zep tunes of yours? 

15 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

You are very kind my friend, this made my day. 

I consider myself blessed that when I was 13 and heard Misty Mountain Hop my life was forever changed. When Bonham comes in I stood there stunned. I still remember that moment and can get it back everytime just by playing that song. 

And yep, they only get better. So many beautiful bootlegs out there as well. 

Have a great day and thanks again for your kindness. The world needs more of that. 

Few fave Zep tunes of yours? 

Hello Sir, man, that is tough. It depends if it is studio or live. And the truth is, there isn’t a song I don’t love/like. When I say I am consumed by this band, I truly mean that. I suppose there are a few songs that are not my favorite. But really I absolutely love all of their songs. I am really into their later years right now. But next month I might be into the early years which is what I was introduced too. 

I am really into PG, and Presence and ITTOD right now as far as studio, and for live material, I am obsessed with anything Montreux and anything that is in SF which were my first Bootlegs I purchased. However, their 77 run in NY and LA is mind blowing and I love to throw that on and make my daughter listen to it. Sorry if I have not answered this question. But I am into all of it, no matter the year, and no matter the circumstances that they were under. I appreciate and love all of it.