Led Zeppelin - The Heaviest Band of all Time

JethroTull

I just read it a week ago. I think they meant Heavy as the 70's term of it, not Heavy as in music like Pantera or wieght like Oprah, but heavy as in thinking about the universe. It just means a serious and requiring concentration: requiring concentrated attention to be understood or appreciated. acording to a dictionary. There is more to them then whats on the records.

Marty McFly:

Wait a minute, Doc, are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?

Dr. Emmet Brown:

Precisely.

Marty McFly:

Whoa, this is heavy.

Dr. Emmet Brown:

There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

Jimmy Page: No Dr. Brown, it's because Led Zeppelin landed here !

Heavy may mean many things. For all that matters Beatles can be labeled as Heavy Pop band - with their wide styles of music. I love LZ - the first time I was exposed to LZ was a SuperShow where LZ played D&C I was so trilled to have that footage included in the DVD. I had a audio version that I had been listening to it for years. I thought it was the best version. And I guess I could call that 1969 performance heavy. I am a guitarist - there was always something about Jimmy's guitar that I couldn't get it down. I could do Blackmore, Iommi.. similar era.. but Jimmy's licks were always different.. was that his tuning, style? what ever.

Now this was before the times of Guitar Tab and printed music sheets.. I had to pick up and "copy" the music by ear. imagine that ha... now that is heavy.. I think it helped me to train my ears and be a better musician with good ears.

DP in it's height was pretty heavy band. and Black Sabbath is also very heavy. I went to Heaven Hell concert few month ago... and QueensRich and Alice Cooper openned up.. pretty rocking ... but when H&H came up.. with that thick heavy guitar riff... it scared me.. it puts all the Metallica/Pantera into shame. It felt like they were calling on the real devils. few weeks later I went to see Ozzy and Rob Zombie. Zombie was a joke,, and Zakke as good as he is can't come close to what Heaviness HH, BS, LZ, DP can bring.

Is this age thing (I am 50) and what I heard in youth is still clinging to my mind?

ghj

So I read the article again. Regarding Bonham....."on board the chartered Starship jet, he staggered out of the plane's bedroom cabin drunk, grabbed a stewardess and announced his intent to rape her. Grant and Cole had to pull him off."......"at L.A.'s most famous rock & roll bar, the Rainbow, drank ten black Russians in rapid fire, glowered around the room, and when a young woman publicist recognized him and smiled at him, he punched her in the face, then went back to his drinks."......

Here is a quote from Life journalist, Ellen Sanders who covered the bands 1969 US tour. At tours end, she stopped by the band's dressing room to say goodbye...."two members of the group attacked me. Shrieking and grabbing at my clothes, totally over the edge. I fought them off until Peter Grant rescued me, but not before they managed to tear my dress down the back...."

Two security people, Richard Cole and John Bindon, were particularly nasty and abusive. Why would anybody harass a 13 year old girl who came to the hotel looking for Plant's autograph?

Is This the Hammer of the gods thread? It does seemed the Rolling Stone just basically wrote a book report. I don't know how to phrase this but, there was bands that did alot more drugs, more women, they Zeppelin ever did. but it seemed like they did it to be better in a wierd kind of a way. thats what makes them heavy. Motley crue did more drugs and women, but they did it to have fun, Zeppelin did it to push the boundries. thats the way i see it. I remember hearing sombody say that ozzy was "into" the black magic, Page was Black "Magik".

Heavy refers to the heaviness of the guitar sound.I am not a player,but you know Black Sabbath was HEAVY,Led Zep.Deep Purple,Ect.Loud gut wrenching guitar haevy metal thunder thats what is all about .Led zepplin was in that heaviness,where they the heaviest band,probably not ,but probably the most well know heavy band,through fm radio .

Heavy refers to the heaviness of the guitar sound.I am not a player,but you know Black Sabbath was HEAVY,Led Zep.Deep Purple,Ect.Loud gut wrenching guitar haevy metal thunder thats what is all about .Led zepplin was in that heaviness,where they the heaviest band,probably not ,but probably the most well know heavy band,through fm radio .

I respectfully disagree with you on this, "Heavy" to me has nothing to do with the Guitar and or how loud or how low they are tuned or how much distortion/overdrive they are running.

Rolling Stone hit the nail on the head when they said Zeppelin are the heaviest band of all time because they are talking about their entire body of music and more importantly the "Vibe" one gets from listening to it.

RjK

its funny how everyone speaks for the reporters lol

from the get go Rolling stone never supported Zep, they trashed every album in reviews back then and i wouldnt expect any different now.... lack of talented reporters maybe?

I think a fair argument can be made that Zeppelin are the heaviest band ever in the heavy metal sense of the word. Yes, a band like Metallica or Pantera is "heavier", but are their riffs really heavier than Page's in and of themselves, or did they just turn up the distortion level on their equipment? Speaking of which, guitar sounds have gotten heavier, but NO ONE was ever heavier on drums than John Bonham. Not even close. Hence, heaviest band ever.

Discuss. :D

I respectfully disagree with you on this, "Heavy" to me has nothing to do with the Guitar and or how loud or how low they are tuned or how much distortion/overdrive they are running.

Rolling Stone hit the nail on the head when they said Zeppelin are the heaviest band of all time because they are talking about their entire body of music and more importantly the "Vibe" one gets from listening to it.

RjK

you may be right,I never read the article.What I was trying to make the point of is that back in the day zepplin was considered heavy because or their guitar[and probably drums too ] sound.There was a time when Heavy metal was just becomming a phrase to describe the new sound of band like Zep.And they were the most famos band,to the general public who maybe never heard a Black Sabbath which started a bit more underground.Heavy can have alot of meanings and your take is viable.as well.peace, love,rock and roll.

Archived