Iron Maiden thread

solar

I'm sure there are plenty of Maiden fans and didn't see a thread dedicated to them, so I'll start one.

Here's some cool stuff going on in their world that I stumbled upon. Diehard fans (not one myself) may have heard of this, but it's pretty friggin sweet -- Bruce Dickinson's a pilot and will be your captain on tour:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?catego...2_articleid=725

Also here:

http://www.bruceair666.com

I'm sure there are plenty of Maiden fans and didn't see a thread dedicated to them, so I'll start one.

Here's some cool stuff going on in their world that I stumbled upon. Diehard fans (not one myself) may have heard of this, but it's pretty friggin sweet -- Bruce Dickinson's a pilot and will be your captain on tour:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/index.php?catego...2_articleid=725

Also here:

http://www.bruceair666.com

Yes I like them, I bought the first album when it came out way back in 1980, for me they never bettered it with Paul Dianno the original vocalist. It was a cross between metal but with a punk attitude.

I saw them in 1988 at Donington, 1990 in Poole and 2006 at London Earls Court !!

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ost&p=19175

Edited by leddy

I've been a fan of Iron Maiden for 25 years. When Number of The Beast first came out that was a great album for the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal movement back in the early 80's. That album stll holds up after all of these years. I saw them twice in the 80's and they were one of the best shows that any one could see at that time. I'm a big fan but I don't consider myself a die hard anymore. Maybe one of these days I'll go and see them in concert again. The Paul Di'Anno era was short lived but I have to say that Killers is one of my favorite albums to this day.

I still listen to them every once in awhile. I picked up a album of theirs at a used cd shop, -no prayer for the dying, think it was the first record when bruce dickinson came back. Its a good one, some really good songs on there. They lost me with the synths on the one from the 80s with the futuristic cover. I have burned copies of the latest two...brave new world and the last one, very good to hear them staying heavy on those, with their proven sound. I listen to a portion of an album at a time and move on to other music.

I saw them a couple of times with Paul Di'Anno but never with Bruce Dickinson. When he joined I felt the music changed and then they went to America and I lost interest in them. That said, they are an immensely talented band.

I saw them a couple of times with Paul Di'Anno but never with Bruce Dickinson. When he joined I felt the music changed and then they went to America and I lost interest in them. That said, they are an immensely talented band.

Every song on the first album is a classic, most of that album is on my ipod !!

Every song on the first album is a classic, most of that album is on my ipod !!

To right mate. :wave: Nessie used to have an original demo cassette of the first album given to her by someone to do with the band. Gowd knows where that’s gone! Probably in lifes dustbin! :boohoo:

To right mate. :wave: Nessie used to have an original demo cassette of the first album given to her by someone to do with the band. Gowd knows where that’s gone! Probably in lifes dustbin! :boohoo:

Oh noooooo !! who was it who gave it to her (maybe i should rephrase that :) ) !!

To this day I can't stop listening to Powerslave. Been a huge fan of Maiden since Brave New World . The six man lineup is by far the best.

:D

Isn't their new tour based around Powerslave music/ stage set up etc ??

When i saw them in 2006 they did the entire A Matter of Life and death album !! It was good !!

Edited by leddy

I still listen to them every once in awhile. I picked up a album of theirs at a used cd shop, -no prayer for the dying, think it was the first record when bruce dickinson came back.

"Brave New World" was the first one they did after Bruce Dickinson (& Adrian Smith) came back. "No Prayer For The Dying" came out in 1990.

I have burned copies of the latest two...brave new world and the last one, very good to hear them staying heavy on those, with their proven sound. I listen to a portion of an album at a time and move on to other music.

I think you've missed one somewhere. They've had two albums since "Brave New World", which are "Dance Of Death" & "A Matter Of Life & Death"

• 3 weeks later...
To this day I can't stop listening to Powerslave. Been a huge fan of Maiden since Brave New World . The six man lineup is by far the best.

:D

yeah! that's the one that did it for me, that song especially and "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" - awesome! up the irons! hee hee...even though i'm 44 now...i saw them in san diego a week before the "Live after Death" ablum/video shows in long beach. great show, sound NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!!

Same thing when i saw them STL '86 - great show, sound not loud enough.

I learned about iron maiden from my room mates in the service and it used to drive me crazy! I didn't like them because, well, as most of us know, there will really only be one true band for us...

but after hearing "Two minutes to midnight" a million times (along with all their other albums i was beginning to learn...i started to get it and began to learn how to live in the post zep world... :(

Edited by stonefreelee

Was really hoping to catch their second concert at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne next Thursday evening 7th Feb. Just found out the concert will have them on stage at 9.00 PM and my flight lands at 20.50 so no chance as far as I can see to be at the stadium in time... so much for my little bonus reason for being in Melbourne a day early to catch this one but probably wouldn't have scored a ticket outside the arena anyways. Nice thought though... saw them in NZ around '93... these guys know how to rock!

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the last half hour and the encores... and didn't have to pay! Incredible atmosphere in the Rod Laver Arena and the stage set up was a updated (and much better) version of the 84/85 World Slavery Tour as can be seen on the new 'Live After Death' DVD.

Anyone who gets the chance to see this tour will be absolutely blown away... this could be the best live act since Led Zep strutted the world stage... no kidding. As they say 'Up the Irons' you won't be disapointed with this excitement machine.

• 2 years later...

Allmusic.com review of The Final Frontier.

3.5/5

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:azfoxzedldje~T1

When Iron Maiden's classic lineup famously reunited in the year 2000, their first new album, the quite excellent Brave New World, neatly reconnected both musicians and fans with the band's heritage, while simultaneously promising a prosperous future still to come.

However, their next two efforts didn't fare quite as well, and whether Maiden was choosing to repeat the same moves without as much imagination or consistency on 2003's Dance of Death, or becoming bogged down in tiresome prog rock excess on 2006's desultory A Matter of Life and Death, it seemed that neither playing it safe nor taking risks was a surefire recipe for success anymore. And so the heavy metal icons took an extra year — for them, a record-breaking four — to work on their fourth post-reunion opus, and 15th career studio album overall, 2010's The Final Frontier, which, like many of their original mid-'80s classics, was recorded at legendary Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas, and aimed to reestablish an ideal balance of past and future, familiarity and freshness, complexity and immediacy.

By and large, this is accomplished, and we're not just saying that because of the futuristic themes spread across these songs, either — nor the science fiction imagery used throughout the album's artwork, including the latest metamorphosis of the band's inseparable mascot, Eddie, this time into a hulking, green alien predator. No, there really is an unquestionable freshness about the futuristic themes and novel sonics explored by the intriguing percussive warm-up, "Satellite 15," which leads straight into the anthemic, arena-friendly opening title track; the muscularly riffed "Mother of Mercy," which recalls Bruce Dickinson's better mid-'90s solo efforts; and the remarkable "Coming Home," which is easily Iron Maiden's most convincingly executed semi-ballad since Fear of the Dark's "Wasting Love," and probably better to boot. The album's first half is rounded out by the surprisingly complex and cerebral first single "El Dorado," which was clearly written with "2 Minutes to Midnight" as a template (but isn't that good), before finally striking out with the efficient but ultimately somewhat forgettable speedster "The Alchemist," yet, all in all, this is a very impressive start. Too bad The Final Frontier's second half doesn't hold up so well, being stacked in worrisome fashion with five straight, longish compositions ranging from eight to eleven minutes in length. Even by Maiden standards, this is a tall order for fans to cope with (again!), and, sure enough, top marks are only deserved by the evocative Arthurian fantasy "Isle of Avalon," which is first out of the gate and captures all of the majesty and power you'd expect of an Iron Maiden epic, despite being no "Hallowed Be Thy Name" or "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" — a "Paschendale," maybe. The remaining five-song monoliths produce only isolated moments of excellence and, amazingly, all begin in suspiciously similar fashion: via quietly plucked, déjà vu-inducing melodies framed by synthesizers before heading off on their individual, long-winded journeys.

The "moments" include a strikingly aggressive riff sequence and reminisces of Somewhere in Time contained on "Starblind," and the vaguely psychedelic harmonies nestled somewhere deep within "The Man Who Would Be King," whereas "The Talisman" and Gaelic-inspired "When the Wild Wind Blows" merely recycle spare parts, for the most part, cherry-picked and reassembled from across the Maiden canon. This late dip in quality at the mercy of the band's more-is-more philosophy definitely leaves one pining for the days when heavier, punchier, and just plain shorter songs held equal appeal for Steve Harris and company; but, in good ways and bad ways, by hook or by crook, The Final Frontier still brings Iron Maiden closer to their aesthetic legacy and triumphant year 2000 rebirth than its two predecessors. And, at this stage in their career, Iron Maiden knows that nothing is more important than giving fans — of all stripes — what they want and expect. Why mess with a winning team, after all? [The Final Frontier's special — aka "Mission" — Edition was delivered with bonus content in a deluxe package outfitted to resemble a spaceship porthole.]

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

Saw them in 80 & 81 with Di'Anno, fantastic in those days, liked Beast & some bits off their next few albums but really lost interest after 7th Son. But I saw them at Donington in 88, and went right down the front in the mud (where those 2 kids had died earlier on during Guns' set). I was sceptical at first, but the power they generated was AWESOME close-up. Quite possibly the loudest thing I''ve ever heard in my life. Never seen them again.

I just had the chance to see them perform at Pukkelpop in Belgium a few days ago, and it was a really great show.

Dickinson is an awesome singer, and despite his age of 52 still extremely athletic and strong voiced.

My sons went to an Iron Maiden concert in July.

They said it was a great show as well as great music.

They also were impressed with Bruce's vocals.

They rank him in their top five best rock singers.

They report that the newest Maiden album is fantastic. I haven't heard it yet as I am not such a big fan.

Just a note: Bruce made a comment about piloting his plane to this concert in Ohio (Blossom Music Center near Akron). He said that he can always tell when he is getting close to this airport when he sees the woods and farm scenery that he loves. They played there at Blossom last summer, too, so he is familiar with that airport.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC