Hear the Entire New James McMurtry Album

Jahfin

Thanks for the link. Can't recall I've ever heard of him (or his father). Sounds really good! First song has a swampy sound with some cool twangy rock'n'roll guitars. I will certainly check this album out.

Thanks for the link. Can't recall I've ever heard of him (or his father). Sounds really good! First song has a swampy sound with some cool twangy rock'n'roll guitars. I will certainly check this album out.

Glad to hear that you liked it.

I'm not sure if it aired in your neck of the woods but Lonesome Dove (with Robert Duvall along with an all star cast) was turned into a very successful made-for-TV miniseries several years back (he also wrote Brokeback Mountain which was also turned into a major motion picture). I don't throw words around like this very often but I have no problem saying Lonesome Dove is probably the best western I've ever seen. A prequel to Lonesome Dove called Commanche Moon will begin airing soon in the U.S. You can read more about it here:

http://www.cbs.com/specials/comanche_moon

Glad to hear that you liked it.

I'm not sure if it aired in your neck of the woods but Lonesome Dove (with Robert Duvall along with an all star cast) was turned into a very successful made-for-TV miniseries several years back (he also wrote Brokeback Mountain which was also turned into a major motion picture). I don't throw words around like this very often but I have no problem saying Lonesome Dove is probably the best western I've ever seen. A prequel to Lonesome Dove called Commanche Moon will begin airing soon in the U.S. You can read more about it here:

http://www.cbs.com/specials/comanche_moon

A-ha, I'm with ya now.. I think I know what serie you're talking about. Can't remember if I've seen it or not though. Robert Duvall is always great.

Haven't seen or read Brokeback Mountain, but I very well know about the movie at least.

Thanks for the new link.

I'm soon through the album, it all sounds great!

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

McMurtry turns frustration into songs

230-20080523-013817-pic-816565397.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

Storytelling songwriter James McMurtry airs his political views in his songs, including 'Cheney's Toy.'

BY ED CONDRAN, Correspondent

James McMurtry clearly hit his stride with his last album, 2005's "Childish Things." The veteran singer-songwriter connected with the angry, epic political anthem "We Can't Make It Here."

The loss of the American dream, outsourcing and the Iraq war are touched upon throughout the moving track.

"I got lucky with that song," McMurtry says during a telephone interview from his Austin home. "I was fortunate it didn't sound like a sermon. It turned into a song that I think people could relate to. I just got so frustrated and I wrote the song."

To read the rest of the article click here.

Archived