Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Strange that there's no connection made to Semitic roots in the link you provided...

...It was for script purposes only...

And just to clarify, I don't think anyone is assuming Page was wearing THE swastika symbol most commonly attributed to the Nazi regime, just that if it was A swastika or something that looked like it, then people would have made that negative connection regardless of what meaning it had to him.

tks for clarifying....but as you know various responses highly "suggest" so... :D :D

... :D :D

.....The Swastika is a origin of Hinduism Symbol, a symbol of Sun, first letter of Hindi Alphabet, the Letter KAH as in K....

I took over this thread from the magnified picture onward...as to whether it is a Swastika? or A Monster?...

For that matter, it could be anything else as you suggest, you may be right, but finally, I would say, it is not a Nazi Germany Symbol, representing the Swastika...as I understood...

Medhb...we are just trying to solve this...no disagreements... :D:D

thanks for helping...

Of course! No problems. It looks like it shall remain a mystery until someone gets a better view. Now I'm looking at it in different adjustments in PS and it appears it could be triskelion.... :slapface:

tks for clarifying....but as you know various responses highly "suggest" so... :D :D

... :D :D

Yeah "suggestions" in interpretations can be like musical chairs, especially here since JP's medallion doesn't conclusively look much like anything ("It's a man's face on Mars ZOMG there must be aliens sending us a message!!!). There's something to be said for a straight shooter sometimes

And as for your link, I was about to edit my previous post to add that yours is about language, whereas I was thinking of the alphabet, so nevermind :slapface:

Edited by Patrycja

Of course! No problems. It looks like it shall remain a mystery until someone gets a better view. Now I'm looking at it in different adjustments in PS and it appears it could be triskelion.... :slapface:

Interesting...

.....and thanks for the earlier Talisman Mystery you solved ...if you know any more details keep us posted....I enjoyed corresponding on this thread....

take care, and sorry for any confusion...and I think this mystery has appeared here before too...

(I think there could be another possibility of the said symbol...acquired in/around '67 Trip to India...I will look into this ancient dynasty symbol...later..

PlanetPage :D :D

Edited by PlanetPage

That would be a very cool thread indeed. It sounds as if there are many here who could enlighten us on symbols and semiotics.

I wasn't offended, for the record, nor am I imputing motives, merely used my first impression as an example of others' associations with a symbol. It's a learned response, so how people react is telling in and of itself and worthy of examination. That's the other side benefit of looking further into meanings, both of which I am open to learning more about.

Strange that there's no connection made to Semitic roots in the link you provided...

And just to clarify, I don't think anyone is assuming Page was wearing THE swastika symbol most commonly attributed to the Nazi regime, just that if it was A swastika or something that looked like it, then people would have made that negative connection regardless of what meaning it had to him.

Well said as always Patrycja! Thanks for clarifying my point for me in case it was misunderstood.

Interesting...

.....and thanks for the earlier Talisman Mystery you solved ...if you know any more details keep us posted....I enjoyed corresponding on this thread....

take care, and sorry for any confusion...and I think this mystery has appeared here before too...

(I think there could be another possibility of the said symbol...acquired in/around '67 Trip to India...I will look into this ancient dynasty symbol...later..

PlanetPage :D:D

Awesome! Maybe we'll get some ideas. Please share anything you can dig up. Maybe someone can get a clearer shot of the symbol for us! That would help tremendously :)

Steve "The Lemon" Sauer conducted a recent interview with Chris Squire of Yes, whom graciously cleared up some of the mystery surrounding the Spring 1981 XYZ sessions

with Jimmy:

http://lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/2009/0...nd-view-of.html

Friday, March 20, 2009

Members of The Syn expand the view of progressive rock

Today, I asked two members of a band called The Syn to define progressive rock for me. Their latest album, Big Sky, is slated for release on April 21 by Umbrello Records, hence the occasion for my speaking to them today. And my conversations with them also helped to tell some other stories regarding members of Led Zeppelin.

Jimmy Page's brush with Yes members

The Syn originated in England, with Chris Squire on bass just a few years before he formed Yes. Jimmy Page had a chance to work with Squire in what would have been his first band after the breakup of Led Zeppelin. At the time, Yes was on hiatus with its future up in the air, and Squire was keeping himself busy with other projects, usually involving other Yes members. He described in a recent interview how it came to be that he nearly formed the band XYZ with Page and drummer Alan White:

"That was not long after John Bonham had passed away, and I ran into Jimmy at a Christmas party, and he said, 'I'd really like to get back into playing, oh and by the way, I'm moving from my house to close to where you live.' And I said, 'OK, well, we'll get together.' So, he came over to my place, and he heard some of the stuff, and he said, 'Oh yeah! Let's do your songs!' He was like, 'I just wanna play and do some work and, you know, move on, really.' And it was funny at that time because he'd been so affected by John Bonham dying, he was even smoking cigarettes through a cigarette holder. Mr. Clean at the time! It was, like, quite peculiar. ...

"I once went down to Peter Grant's house to discuss the new project with him, and we were discussing it for about 96 hours straight, not really getting anywhere. It was quite funny because my dad, actually, while he was alive, knew I was involved in that project, and he said, 'Well, the obvious name for that project would be X-Y-Zed, you know, X-Y-Z. Ex-Yes-Zeppelin. So, there I was at Peter Grant's house saying to him, 'That's the natural name for this project! Yes is on hiatus. We're not sure what's going on with that. And Zeppelin, you know, is presumably not gonna be anymore.' And Peter Grant kept saying to me, 'Yeah, but I don't like the idea of Yes being before Zeppelin.' And I said, 'Well, Peter, it's the alphabet. X-Y-Z.' I said, 'X-Z-Y? I don't know.' And we had that same conversation for about 96 hours. ...

"The idea was that Robert was going to come and join in, but I think I heard Alan say that the music was too complicated. I don't think it was that. I think, um, it was just too soon for Robert. He didn't want to just jump back into another project. He was still upset, I guess, about John's death."

Squire's fellow founding member of The Syn, Steve Nardelli, recalls that he was working with Squire at the time of these XYZ sessions. In my interview with him today, Nardelli recounted many of the same details Squire had, adding on that XYZ rehearsal sessions took place both "at Jimmy's house and up at Squire's studio in Virginia Water." From Nardelli's perspective:

"The thing about that was they were hoping to get Robert Plant to sing, and then he wouldn't. ... It never quite got off the ground. I think in the studio they never quite, quite gelled. It didn't quite work."

Why, thank you, though it's rather alarming that you can see me through my computer. :unsure:

Why, your belt buckle is gorgeous, as I have no doubt you are. I can only see through your computer on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Other days, such as today, which (good god, it's Sunday already), things get a little cloudy. It's quite foggy on your end as I write this ...

Edited by Mercurious

Thank you. I posted the pic because of what Steve said about Jimmy's experience in Scotland. Beiing spat on. I didn't enjoy reading that. I ordered the buckle through a small celtic shop on Spring Garden Rd. The other one, that's a belt which has 3 German crosses with a celtic design I got in Little Mysteries on Barrington.

Are those places in England? I'm in the most German city in America, Milwaukee. I can tell you that the motor bikes the German army rode during WW II were made here (by Harley Davidson). I can also say that the Iron Cross, which Jimmy is wearing, has nothing to do with Nazis or the abominations that they visited upon the world. That's the symbol of the German regular army, not of the SS. If Scottish people were upset, it's perhaps because the Iron Cross was the symbol on the bombing planes that were over the British isles during WW II? Not that I'm opposed to holding a grudge.

The other thing that looks like the Loch Ness monster, it looks to me like Siva dancing or perhaps the letter K - which was Crowley's favorite letter. But I wondered why Jimmy doesn't wear Crowley's rose cross. Have you seen Yeats' rose cross? Those Golden Dawn members all designed their own crosses, and the ones I've seen are some of the most beautiful pieces of art I've ever seen. Maybe Jimmy doesn't want it out of the house?

I can't help but say that the woman holding the belt buckle is a treasure that the piece of metal she is holding could never equate. B)

Edited by Mercurious

Are those places in England? I'm in the most German city in America, Milwaukee. I can tell you that the motor bikes the German army rode during WW II were made here (by Harley Davidson). I can also say that the Iron Cross, which Jimmy is wearing, has nothing to do with Nazis or the abominations that they visited upon the world. That's the symbol of the German regular army, not of the SS. If Scottish people were upset, it's perhaps because the Iron Cross was the symbol on the bombing planes that were over the British isles during WW II? Not that I'm opposed to holding a grudge.

The other thing that looks like the Loch Ness monster, it looks to me like Siva dancing or perhaps the letter K - which was Crowley's favorite letter. But I wondered why Jimmy doesn't wear Crowley's rose cross. Have you seen Yeats' rose cross? Those Golden Dawn members all designed their own crosses, and the ones I've seen are some of the most beautiful pieces of art I've ever seen. Maybe Jimmy doesn't want it out of the house?

I can't help but say that the woman holding the belt buckle is a treasure that the piece of metal she is holding could never equate. B)

Sorry not to beat a dead horse, and not that JP was wearing THE cross, but that design is highly reminiscent of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which had several grades, and yes, worn by SS members as well. I have to leave for work now, but can post some more info later. Again, it's not whether JP meant it that way, but if people had a fit it's because of what they associated with it.

What's this about the belt buckle people keep referring to? Can't seem to find it...thanks

jimmyscrosses.jpg

There is a very clear image forming if you do try this technique at your computer/desk

1. Enlarge The picture to full image

2. While sitting at chair, bend your head to bottom of the screen, and the image will come quite clear, as the background ink/color all becomes solid, and the image is "carved"....

having looked at this, I am "Speculating" it is a Loc. Monster, given Jimmy's interest in it early on...

OR it could be another Mythical animal?

Finally, from this technique above, it is clear that it is NOT a symbol of any kind, but just an image of some "animal" related to Western Myths....

Edited by PlanetPage

Nurnburg, Germany 6/27/80

Background:

It's well established the 6/27/80 concert at Messehalle in Nurnberg, Germany was cut short and Bonzo was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. It is also known the band spent the next two nights (Fri & Sat) at the Grand Hotel on 1-3 Bahnhofstrasse downtown. Bonzo was released from hospital and returned to the hotel on Saturday afternoon and made the next gig in Zurich on Sunday night.

Inquiry:

A concert attendee claims the band partied at a disco in Roth (a small town in the vicinity of Nurnburg) prior to arriving for the concert. It seems to me they would not have had time to do so, seeing as they'd performed in Vienna the night before and would probably not have arrived until late afternoon. I seem to recall someone else (Dave Lewis?) saying the band did go to a club whilst in town, but it was sometime after the show.

Anyway, is there anyone out there who can substantiate the facts of the matter? Would be very interested to confirm the name of the disco and when they went, as it might have affected the show.

Edited by SteveAJones

There is a very clear image forming if you do try this technique at your computer/desk

1. Enlarge The picture to full image

2. While sitting at chair, bend your head to bottom of the screen, and the image will come quite clear, as the background ink/color all becomes solid, and the image is "carved"....

having looked at this, I am "Speculating" it is a Loc. Monster, given Jimmy's interest in it early on...

OR it could be another Mythical animal?

Finally, from this technique above, it is clear that it is NOT a symbol of any kind, but just an image of some "animal" related to Western Myths....

Looks like a dragon or gryphon

Sorry dude,

Harley Davidson did not make the motorcycles of the German Army. Most were made by BMW. That is not to say that there were not captured ones used. But for me to believe that Harley contracted out motorcycles to the Wehrmacht, I'd have to see your source.

Careful where you let that mind of your's wander.

OK,

This is how we tie it all together. We went from Jimmy Page's necklace pendant to swastikas, swasticas to harley davidsons in milwaukee, harleys to German Army motorcycles, motorcycles to coke a cola and fanta, fanta to Nazis. Stick with me on this:

Steve (doin' this from memory, correct where wrong):

Wasn't it in the 1977 tour that Jimmy Page wore a black Tshirt, German Army officer's hat, German Army Pants and Boots? That was in Chicago no?

Now fast forward to the 1996? 1998? Page and Plant shows. I couldn't get tickets for Chicago so I saw them in Milwaukee. When they played "How many more times" Plant introduced it by saying "how about some harley davidson jazz milwaukee?" (or something like that). The night ended with me eating white castle burgers in the backseat of a car while drinking, you guessed it; jack and coke.

Yes, this is a true story, don't remember the exact year though.

Steve (doin' this from memory, correct where wrong):

Wasn't it in the 1977 tour that Jimmy Page wore a black Tshirt, German Army officer's hat, German Army Pants and Boots? That was in Chicago no?

Now fast forward to the 1996? 1998? Page and Plant shows. I couldn't get tickets for Chicago so I saw them in Milwaukee. When they played "How many more times" Plant introduced it by saying "how about some harley davidson jazz milwaukee?" (or something like that). The night ended with me eating white castle burgers in the backseat of a car while drinking, you guessed it; jack and coke.

Yes, this is a true story, don't remember the exact year though.

Funny you should mention Chicago, 4/10/77. Not many realize it was an Easter Sunday

performance. There are plenty of photos in circulation concerning what he wore, so I

don't see the need to post any here.

Jimmy was quick to point out he didn't wear the complete uniform, just the boots, jodhpours and hat. Not many realize he also donned a white fedora during that concert. A white fedora...Nazi regalia... Chicago...it was as if he was paying homage to the cities' gangster reputation. Remember he said it was done as art and to shock.

The Milwaukee concert to which you refer was at the Bradley Center on 5/1/95.

That's it, 1995! I was gonna call the wife and ask her to start reading tshirts! to find out. Great Concert. If anyone has a chance to see a concert at the Bradley Center, do it. A very personal venue. Bands seem more informal there too. I saw the differences in the Stones one summer between the Chicago United Center and the Bradley center in Milwaukee. More fun in Milwaukee.

Thanks Steve.