Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I don't know if this is a mystery per se, but what is that absolute last known photograph ever taken of Bonzo while he was alive? I've never seen a post 80 Tour photo of him, there must be one somewhere.

There was evidently lots of home movies and photographs from the Bonham estate used in the Jason Bonham Led Zeppelin Experience shows so I'm guessing if there is any such thing, it would be in possession of the family.

I don't know if this is a mystery per se, but what is that absolute last known photograph ever taken of Bonzo while he was alive? I've never seen a post 80 Tour photo of him, there must be one somewhere.

To my knowledge there are still no confirmed public appearances of John Bonham between the end of the Over Europe '80 tour on July 7th and the first (and final) North American tour rehearsal on Sept 24th. Accordingly, any photographs of Bonham taken during that time would be private (family and friends) and I do not know of any in circulation at this time.

Edited by SteveAJones

I can agree with that- I will say they really extended the Trampled Underfoot, Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta LOve at that last show in Berlin though so time doesn't seem to be at the upmost thought lol.

I was in Berlin .

I think it was a spontanious decision of Jimmy talking to Robert.But not the best one cause his guitar was out of tune and he was helpless onstage at this moment.

• Administrators

There is family home movie footage of John, about a week or so before he passed away.

There is family home movie footage of John, about a week or so before he passed away.

Yes, I attended Jason Bonham's Led Zep Experience last November, and early in the show, he showed a short video of John, and Jason said the video was taken exactly one week before he passed. He did have his full beard in the video (which he had shaved off right before the Munich show in July).

Also, thought I read the family went to South of France in August 1980, so I'm sure there are private photos and videos of that trip as well.

Do you remember if it was the photo of him smiling with a sunset in the background right as the band started The Rain Song? I remember that photo vividly but cant remember if Jason said that was taken just prior to his father's passing. I was at the NYC show and sometimes it was difficult to hear him when he was speaking, also didnt help that i had seats al the way in the back. Anyway, Im just curious. I appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Yes, I attended Jason Bonham's Led Zep Experience last November, and early in the show, he showed a short video of John, and Jason said the video was taken exactly one week before he passed. He did have his full beard in the video (which he had shaved off right before the Munich show in July).

Also, thought I read the family went to South of France in August 1980, so I'm sure there are private photos and videos of that trip as well.

To my knowledge there are still no confirmed public appearances of John Bonham between the end of the Over Europe '80 tour on July 7th and the first (and final) North American tour rehearsal on Sept 24th. Accordingly, any photographs of Bonham taken during that time would be private (family and friends) and I do not know of any in circulation at this time.

This from Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose fanzine:

On Thursday July 24th I phoned him at Cutnall Green. We had a long conversation. John was very happy with the way the Europe tour had gone and was now looking forward to a holiday. He told me there was a group meeting due the next day to discuss what was to happen next. He said to call during August for more news. During that second call in late August, John strongly hinted they would be returning to America in the autumn.

Do you remember if it was the photo of him smiling with a sunset in the background right as the band started The Rain Song? I remember that photo vividly but cant remember if Jason said that was taken just prior to his father's passing. I was at the NYC show and sometimes it was difficult to hear him when he was speaking, also didnt help that i had seats al the way in the back. Anyway, Im just curious. I appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Actually, it was a short video of John. Seemed like it was taken outside, underneath some sort of animal shelter canopy (like covered horse stables). John was smiling, made a funny face or two. Think it ran for about 10-15 seconds. It came right after the opening trio of Rock and Roll/Celebration Day/Black Dog, when Jason first spoke to the audience, and shared his first set of video memories with his introduction of the evening and dedication of the show to his Dad.

There were definitely still shots as well in the first set of photos and videos, ranging from John as a young boy to this video clip of John one week before he passed. Jason said that the video was taken the week before he passed as well.

I think the actual video of Jason's introduction at one of the early shows was posted in the Jason Bonham show reviews thread in this Forum...I remember seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve! :wave:

I posted this on R-O but I thought I'd post it here as well. I was checking for information on the web regarding Led Zeppelin works and decided to check out ASCAP's search feature. While Lost In Space and St. Tristan's Sword are not listed, other registered works were. I checked and Embyro No 1 is listed with variation No 2 mentioned through the Publisher / Administrator Succubus Music Inc. which is a recent Publisher / Administrator for Jimmy. Upon reading the various lists pertaining to Led Zeppelin and it's members some interesting works appear. The following are listed under writer James Patrick Page with the Publisher / Administrator being Flames Of Albion Music Inc.:

HYPNOTISING WAYS (credited to James Patrick Page)

HUMAN GRAFTIN (credited to John Baldwin / John Bonham / James Patrick Page / R A Plant)

IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR (credited to James Patrick Page)

SONG REMAINS THE SAME CUES (THE) (credited to James Patrick Page) - This is Autumn Lake

The following are listed under writer James Patrick Page with the Publisher / Administrator being SUPERHYPE PUBL INC.:

IMITATION LEATHER JACKET (John Baldwin / John Bonham / James Butler / Graham Cupples / James Patrick Page / R A Plant / Darren Till / Steve Woods)

TROUT (Hoyt Axton / John Baldwin / John Bonham / Memphis Minnie / James Patrick Page / R A Plant) I thought Trout would be Levee but Levee has it's own listing and credits Minnie Lawlers

When searching to see what was listed under John Bonham the following appear:

ME LOVE (credited to John Baldwin / John Bonham / James Patrick Page / R A Plant)

There's a couple of others to such as the following listed under performers:

WHEN DAY IS DONE - I think of In The Evening with this title.

I'm guessing some of these are working titles that eventually changed? If you or anyone can shed some light on these titles I'd appreciate it.

Robert

Edited by Sems Fir

Hi Steve! :wave:

I posted this on R-O but I thought I'd post it here as well. I was checking for information on the web regarding Led Zeppelin works and decided to check out ASCAP's search feature. While Lost In Space and St. Tristan's Sword are not listed, other registered works were. I checked and Embyro No 1 is listed with variation No 2 mentioned through the Publisher / Administrator Succubus Music Inc. which is a recent Publisher / Administrator for Jimmy. Upon reading the various lists pertaining to Led Zeppelin and it's members some interesting works appear. The following are listed under writer James Patrick Page with the Publisher / Administrator being Flames Of Albion Music Inc.:

HYPNOTISING WAYS (credited to James Patrick Page)

HUMAN GRAFTIN (credited to John Baldwin / John Bonham / James Patrick Page / R A Plant)

IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR (credited to James Patrick Page)

SONG REMAINS THE SAME CUES (THE) (credited to James Patrick Page) - This is Autumn Lake

The following are listed under writer James Patrick Page with the Publisher / Administrator being SUPERHYPE PUBL INC.:

IMITATION LEATHER JACKET (John Baldwin / John Bonham / James Butler / Graham Cupples / James Patrick Page / R A Plant / Darren Till / Steve Woods)

TROUT (Hoyt Axton / John Baldwin / John Bonham / Memphis Minnie / James Patrick Page / R A Plant) I thought Trout would be Levee but Levee has it's own listing and credits Minnie Lawlers

When searching to see what was listed under John Bonham the following appear:

ME LOVE (credited to John Baldwin / John Bonham / James Patrick Page / R A Plant)

There's a couple of others to such as the following listed under performers:

WHEN DAY IS DONE - I think of In The Evening with this title.

I'm guessing some of these are working titles that eventually changed? If you or anyone can shed some light on these titles I'd appreciate it.

Robert

I have a feeling Scott Swanson is going to chime in on these soon. Off the top of my head I believe Hypnotising Ways is an instrumental track from the Death Wish II Soundtrack (or sessions). That album was released on Swan Song Records in 1982. Me Love is probably a typo (All My Love from ITTOD). Agreed on When Day Is Done. If Scott doesn't post here soon I will see what else I have on file concerning these. Great question as always.

I have a feeling Scott Swanson is going to chime in on these soon. Off the top of my head I believe Hypnotising Ways is an instrumental track from the Death Wish II Soundtrack (or sessions). That album was released on Swan Song Records in 1982. Me Love is probably a typo (All My Love from ITTOD). Agreed on When Day Is Done. If Scott doesn't post here soon I will see what else I have on file concerning these. Great question as always.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Yes, Scott responded on R-O. I forgot that Hypnotising Ways was on the DW2 soundtrack. Learn something new everyday. It never hurts to ask!

Robert

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Yes, Scott responded on R-O. I forgot that Hypnotising Ways was on the DW2 soundtrack. Learn something new everyday. It never hurts to ask!

Robert

Just to close the loop, this from Scott Swanson:

"Hypnotising Ways" is from the Death Wish 2 soundtrack.

"Imitation Leather Jacket", "Trout", and "Me Love" are songs by other artists that sample Rock And Roll, When The Levee Breaks and D'yer Mak'er.

I'm not sure about "When Day Is Done". Perhaps Robert sung a couple lines of that song during a medley? Or maybe the publishers sued Zep over a minor similarity and got a settlement? Or maybe it's just a typo (those things are quite common on the ASCAP website).

• 2 weeks later...

OK I would like someone to tell me if at the Copenhagen warm up shows in 1979 at the Falkoner Teatret on July 23 and 24 -did they wear the same clothes like at the two Knebworth shows. I know that the clothes I have seen-

Jimmy in a orange shirt like the one from Knebworth and docker style slacks with the blue shoes.

Robert in a pale blue dress upshirt(long sleeve) with blue jeans and those white boots like he wore at Knebworth.

John Paul Jones in dark baggy pants with a white t-shirt and converse all stars sneakers(dark color-with white trim)

John Bonham is wearing what looks like that shirt that he wore in those famous outdoors shots taken on the Knebworth grounds( the pants are not blue jeans like the outdoors shot but maybe white light colored slacks.

Anyway I received no doubt about it pics with the ticket stub from the first show on the 23rd from a guy who went to the show. So I know that this is what they wore on the first night but every other photo I have seen they are wearing the same clothes. I have studied stuff on the stage etc and can't figure out any difference- one pic would do it for sure- a pic of them playing Ten Years Gone on the second night-as they only played it at the 2nd in Copenhagen and the first night in Knebworth.

I am eventually going to do one of my photo threads of these shows but not until I know for certina what the second night's clothes look like- any help, photos etc would help.

Here are two shows from another site claiming to be from the first night. I am not gonna post the pics the guy gave me as they are unseen and I want to wait for the photo thread to share them with everyone. So these pics will at least let you see what clothes I have described above look like- Just affirmation on the second night's clothes. Thanks everyone.

Nobody's Fault but Mine

2183.jpg

Either Black Dog or Over the Hills and Far Away

2181.jpg

2182.jpg

If I recall correctly didn't the Zoso sigil make it's last appearance on the amp the first night? Or was it still on for the second?

I had read that too- I think in Dave Lewis's concert book but can't remember which night it was haha also most of these that are dated 7-23 I believe as they were only using half the lights the first night.

We've heard lots about the Gates siblings Simon and Samantha and their involvement with the HOTH cover shoot. But has anyone ever identified the adult man in the album's gatefold? Could it be Hipgnosis's Aubrey Powell himself, or a professional model? I've been scouring high and low, but nobody's come forward. Thoughts or facts, anyone?

We've heard lots about the Gates siblings Simon and Samantha and their involvement with the HOTH cover shoot. But has anyone ever identified the adult man in the album's gatefold? Could it be Hipgnosis's Aubrey Powell himself, or a professional model? I've been scouring high and low, but nobody's come forward. Thoughts or facts, anyone?

No answer comes to mind. I think Po is ROTFLOL. If it was Po he aged considerably between then and when he collaborated with The Firm from '84-'86.

No answer comes to mind. I think Po is ROTFLOL. If it was Po he aged considerably between then and when he collaborated with The Firm from '84-'86.

Possibly makeup artist Tom Smith, who applied the paint to the kids (this after listening to Stefan Gates' BBC doc). And I'm Really Out To Fucking Lunch, Oh Lord, over that acronym of yours, Steve. That's a mystery right there.

If I recall correctly didn't the Zoso sigil make it's last appearance on the amp the first night? Or was it still on for the second?

Check out pictures from Dave Lewis' Knebworth book. The ZOSO sigil disappeared between the setup/rehearsal on Aug. 02 and the first show on Aug. 4.