Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I can NOT confirm that the following statement (from a webstite entitled UK Rock Festivals) is true, and this is a very old statement (older than five years), but:

There is a company in L.A. who has six hours of colour film of Bath, including 30 mins of Led Zeppelin and about a year ago they tried to sell it to Jimmy Page,but they were asking too much for it and he refused to buy it. They have no rights to the film ,whatsoever, so it was a bit cheeky trying to sell it to Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page's archives researcher, who knows all about this film, is ringing me next week with all the details, so hopefully we can track them down. As it is in colour it could be part of the Gentle Ghost film - if they took it off the screen it would be in black and white. The other film which was the one Led Zeppelin commissioned was filmed by someone named Paul Whitehead, who now works for the BBC and according to the researcher he used the wrong exposure and only 3 mins was of any use.

About that company in LA -- I seriously wonder where they acquired the footage. Do you have any details on the company or the footage itself? 8mm or 16mm? Proshot? What's the position it was shot from? Maybe we could send a couple of e-mails?

Also, I'm assuming that the guy filming in this photo is Paul Whitehead.

8ae44608d1f3354b5785c8a6a70c6304.jpg

Edited by Geezer

It has surfaced for a while, since 2011:

And I think this "Paul Whitehead" dude is refering to Peter Whitehead, who was the supposed director for the abandoned Led Zeppelin 1970 documentary.

And as I said, I got that from the UK Rock Festivals. And don't get too hyped up, as I don't know the name of the company, the type of film, contact, or anything like that. I doubt that anything would surface at all if we even tried. I am certain that there were cameras rolling at Zep's act (other than Jochen's) but the whereabouts of the reels are unknown.

Edited by ledzepfilm

Was it actually John Entwistle who came up with the term "lead zeppelin" and not Keith Moon? Was it "lead balloon" or "lead zeppelin"?

Entwistle claims it was his idea, but Richard Cole says it was Moon's idea. Here's what Entwistle said in a 1972 interview:

"Led Zeppelin is a good name, isn't it? I made it up. Everybody says Keith Moon made it up, but he didn't. About four years ago I was really getting fed up with the Who. And I was talking with a fellow who is the production manager for the Led Zeppelin now [Richard Cole]. I was talking to him down in a club in New York. And I said, 'Yeah, I'm thinking of leaving the group and forming my own group. I'm going to call the group Lead Zeppelin. And I'm going to have a an LP cover with like the Hindenburg going down in flames, and, you know, this whole business.' And like two months later he was working for Jimmy Page and, like, they were looking for a name, and so he suggested Led Zeppelin, and Page liked it, and they came out with the same LP cover that I'd planned."

And here's what Cole said in his book:

"It was a name that had emerged from a conversation I had months earlier with Keith Moon and John Entwistle in New York while I was touring with the Yardbirds. Moon and Entwistle were growing weary of the Who and were kidding about starting a new band with Jimmy Page. Moon joked, 'I've got a good name for it. Let's call it Lead Zeppelin, 'cause it'll go over like a lead balloon."

^JPJ about 8:05 in talks about the name and may somewhat give you an answer...Then you have to laugh at his comment. Mr. Class Act Party Of One..the man is just so cool IMHO!!

Edit: spelling

Thanks Ms. Deb!

Awesome interview from a lovely, musical genius!

It made me pull out Zooma!

It is shocking how fresh that album still sounds today! I will have to put it on the home rotation more!

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, this came up in another thread...I seem to recall reading somewhere that Plant's appearance with Rockpile at the Concerts for Kampuchea was unplanned. He was there as a guest and then asked to participate. Or was it planned all along? It would explain the way the song ended...

Steve, this came up in another thread...I seem to recall reading somewhere that Plant's appearance with Rockpile at the Concerts for Kampuchea was unplanned. He was there as a guest and then asked to participate. Or was it planned all along? It would explain the way the song ended...

Fairly certain it was planned all along but I'm still searching for quotes from the principles to substantiate this. I vaguely recall he, JPJ & Bonham participated in rehearsals for the show. I'm not convinced he was the one who sang the words "Little Sister" after the song had already ended, because the manner in which his arm is swung first in the video below suggests he knew the song had ended and he had stopped singing.

Too Loud from Shaken 'n Stirred.

Am I dreaming or was Black Sabbath War Pigs sampled at the end of Too Loud from RP's 3rd album, Shaken 'n Stirred.

When listening to it on vinyl back in the day, my mind was etched with the last 5 seconds of Black Sabbath's War Pigs (section at end where the tape speeds up).

Listened to it today on CD and this ending was not there. Maybe I am losing it.

I no longer have the vinyl, so am wondering if anyone can confirm the song did end with a bit of Sabbath sampling?

Listen starting at about 7:40 in and that was the ending to Too Loud as I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZCyOWLrRTE

Edited by surfinsam

Like I said, it was planned. Forgive me because I don't know your age or history as a fan, but I was around when this took place and remember the sequence of events. It can be frustrating as a fan to be asked to come up with "proof" of something when the proof was just LIVING it. Steve collects records re the band and files things in order, but he's not the ultimate Zep expert - many of us here may not have the files and data, just the experience.

If it makes it easier for you to accept my word, check out Dave Lewis' "Tight But Loose" fanzine issue number 4, from April 1980 - it carries a double page feature on the event which confirms that Robert decided to join in the proceedings with Bonzo and Jonesy once he knew that Rockpile (one of his favourite bands) were on the bill - way in advance of the show itself.

Edited by Knebby

Am I dreaming or was Black Sabbath War Pigs sampled at the end of Too Loud from RP's 3rd album, Shaken 'n Stirred. I no longer have the vinyl, so am wondering if anyone can confirm the song did end with a bit of Sabbath sampling?

Some may hear similarities, but frankly I don't. Regardless, so far as I know Robert Plant has never claimed it was sampled.