Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

As far as I know there are none in circulation, and one would think if any were taken they would have surfaced by now.

Steve, are there any photos of the members meetings with Elvis?

I only know of these two photos (and none of them are together)....

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16945-when-did-led-zeppelin-meet-elvis-presley/?hl=%2Belvis+%2Bphotos#entry553324

May 23, 1995 - Portland International Airport

Jimmy Page, intoxicated, detained (but not arrested despite his request to be) upon arrival for smoking in the lavatory of United Airlines flight 2032 from San Francisco to Portland…faced $1,000 fine. He subsequently checked-in to The Riverplace hotel for one night and later that evening performed without incident at The Portland Memorial Coliseum.

Hey Stevie. Any reply to my question that about Jimmy Page being intoxicated and smoking on a United States domestic airline? Post #4630?

Edited by SteveAJones

Jimmy Page, intoxicated, detained (but not arrested despite his request to be) upon arrival for smoking in the lavatory of United Airlines flight 2032 from San Francisco to Portland…faced $1,000 fine. He subsequently checked-in to The Riverplace hotel for one night and later that evening performed without incident at The Portland Memorial Coliseum.

Okay. Thanks!.

SAJ,

I am wondering why Jimmy wanted to be arrested. Was he wanting to raise a point about being allowed to smoke on a plane? I am surprised at him asking to be arrested in the US, when you take into account the lengths (and lawyers' fees) he went to in the UK in order to avoid being barred from the US as a consequence of his British drug busts.

SAJ,

I am wondering why Jimmy wanted to be arrested. Was he wanting to raise a point about being allowed to smoke on a plane? I am surprised at him asking to be arrested in the US, when you take into account the lengths (and lawyers' fees) he went to in the UK in order to avoid being barred from the US as a consequence of his British drug busts.

Bear in mind Jimmy was intoxicated at the time.

That was an amusing read Steve.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...just because you were touring with Robert and having a bit too much to drink on a flight doesn't mean it is 1975 and you are on the Starship. You can't just light up. :slapface:

I have always wondered who would be brazen enough to smoke in an airplane lavatory. Now I know.

This guy

post-17244-0-56905400-1370627502_thumb.j

Edited by Texas Melanie

Melanie,

He must have been super pissed because I cannot recall ever having been so drunk that I would be requesting to be arrested.

That was an amusing read Steve.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...just because you were touring with Robert and having a bit too much to drink on a flight doesn't mean it is 1975 and you are on the Starship. You can't just light up. :slapface:

I have always wondered who would be brazen enough to smoke in an airplane lavatory. Now I know.

This guy

SAJ...

I am trying to shed light on a friend's stories about a road crew member named "Jimmy"...could be from Page/Plant or with the Plant road crew of the 80's.

From: http://www.tpimagazine.com/production-profiles/8623/led_zeppelin_the_ahmet_ertegun_tribute.html

Syncrolite’s vice president of marketing also watched the show from the mix riser, trying his best to refrain from telling old stories of his days on the road with Zeppelin in the ’70s as part of the Showco crew, and how sharing the same name as the lead guitarist led to much confusion with groupies.

The ‘other’ Jimmy Page said: “We describe our new SX10K-D as the ‘Hammer Of The Gods’, so it’s perfect for Zeppelin — it’s an incredibly bright f**ker!”

Melanie,

He must have been super pissed because I cannot recall ever having been so drunk that I would be requesting to be arrested.

And that flight isn't very long, maybe two hours if that. You would think he could go without for that long. In this post 9/11 world, he would have been arrested.

He would have to be quite intoxicated to have the balls to ignore the signs stating that an alarm will go off if smoke is detected. Of course being that drunk, one doesn't really care. :drunk:

Having to pay $1000, I hope that was one hell of a cigarette. :ohmy:

He's Jimmy Page and he can smoke anywhere he bloody well wants to! lol.

But seriously...in this day and age, he might want to go back to private planes and avoid the noxious non-smokers. ;-)

Even rock gods don't get to pollute my air with their cigarettes.

He very politely went to the loo so as not to pollute anyone's air. And he paid the fine without complaint. He even asked to be arrested, lol. Priceless.

The Independent (London)

June 2, 1995, Friday

BYLINE: Maryann Bird

SECTION: INTERNATIONAL; Page 13

Where's the justice when a rock star can't even get arrested? Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin's legendary founder, discovered that breaking the ban on in-flight smoking just isn't enough these days.

On a flight from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon, for a recent concert, Page locked himself in a toilet and lit a cigarette. The alarm sounded and the flight crew notified the authorities in Portland. A police report said the intoxicated rocker tried to persuade officers to arrest him, admitted to smoking and acknowledged he knew it was not allowed. But going to jail just isn't an option under the smoking ban. Page could still be fined up to $ 1,000 (around pounds 620) if he is prosecuted after the Federal Aviation Administration investigates further.

Yes, I posted this newspaper article on the Random Newspaper Articles Thread on 11 August 2011 Post 354.

He very politely went to the loo so as not to pollute anyone's air. And he paid the fine without complaint. He even asked to be arrested, lol. Priceless.

The Independent (London)

June 2, 1995, Friday

BYLINE: Maryann Bird

SECTION: INTERNATIONAL; Page 13

Where's the justice when a rock star can't even get arrested? Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin's legendary founder, discovered that breaking the ban on in-flight smoking just isn't enough these days.

On a flight from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon, for a recent concert, Page locked himself in a toilet and lit a cigarette. The alarm sounded and the flight crew notified the authorities in Portland. A police report said the intoxicated rocker tried to persuade officers to arrest him, admitted to smoking and acknowledged he knew it was not allowed. But going to jail just isn't an option under the smoking ban. Page could still be fined up to $ 1,000 (around pounds 620) if he is prosecuted after the Federal Aviation Administration investigates further.

Edited by kenog

SAJ,

I'm sure I read one version of events which described him as "daring" them to arrest him. So he might have said something like "go on then, arrest me" in bravado - but it wasn't actually what he wanted. Or he might have been more contrite, and said it in a "do what you have to do, I'll come quietly, get it over with" kind of a way. Like, insisting he didn't want special treatment or something - "you're just doing your job, if you have to do it, go ahead" kind of thing. But the idea that he WANTED to be arrested seems totally implausible. I mean, you can just about imagine how someone with a serious addiction problem - someone on hard drugs - might want that. Because they think it's the only way they're going to get help, they know they won't change their ways unless they're forced to, they fear they're going to kill themselves if they're not forcibly restrained from accessing the stuff etc. But I can't come up with any plausible reason at all why someone who was just pissed and smoking would actually want that.

The whole smoking ban on planes is kind of stupid. I mean, there's always going to be a certain percentage of people who are scared of flying (Jimmy definitely was at one point - don't know if it improved any with age), and a certain percentage of those will be smokers whose usual coping strategy when feeling jittery is to have a fag. If you deny them that, then they just self-medicate by drinking too much. Air rage incidents have shot up since the complete ban on smoking on planes, and so has the rate of people picking up infections on planes, because they're recycling the air (and any viruses and bacteria that are in it) more - when there's smoking on a plane, they legally have to completely change the air more frequently. Airlines would save themselves a lot of grief if they brought back smoking sections. Either that or make it standard practice to hand out nicotine sprays or something.

Hi Scylla, :wave:

I think we have to remember that altitude increases the effects of alcohol. Added to that, he may have taken some substance before boarding - we will never know! If the account is true, it sounds to me that there was more than one factor at play here. Presumably, the press would be getting their info from the cabin crew or passengers. Like you I can't understand why he would want to be arrested, particularly since US cops seem to be a lot stricter in their approach than ours in the UK.

I'm sure I read one version of events which described him as "daring" them to arrest him. So he might have said something like "go on then, arrest me" in bravado - but it wasn't actually what he wanted. Or he might have been more contrite, and said it in a "do what you have to do, I'll come quietly, get it over with" kind of a way. Like, insisting he didn't want special treatment or something - "you're just doing your job, if you have to do it, go ahead" kind of thing. But the idea that he WANTED to be arrested seems totally implausible. I mean, you can just about imagine how someone with a serious addiction problem - someone on hard drugs - might want that. Because they think it's the only way they're going to get help, they know they won't change their ways unless they're forced to, they fear they're going to kill themselves if they're not forcibly restrained from accessing the stuff etc. But I can't come up with any plausible reason at all why someone who was just pissed and smoking would actually want that.

The whole smoking ban on planes is kind of stupid. I mean, there's always going to be a certain percentage of people who are scared of flying (Jimmy definitely was at one point - don't know if it improved any with age), and a certain percentage of those will be smokers whose usual coping strategy when feeling jittery is to have a fag. If you deny them that, then they just self-medicate by drinking too much. Air rage incidents have shot up since the complete ban on smoking on planes, and so has the rate of people picking up infections on planes, because they're recycling the air (and any viruses and bacteria that are in it) more - when there's smoking on a plane, they legally have to completely change the air more frequently. Airlines would save themselves a lot of grief if they brought back smoking sections. Either that or make it standard practice to hand out nicotine sprays or something.

I'm not paying the ridiculous amounts they charge to fly and be forced to suck in nasty cigarette smoke because certain people have decided to become addicts. I remember as a kid when they did allow it, you could smell it around the plane PLUS if you had to use the john, they are usually in the back where the smokers sit. I have zero sympathy for them. F the smokers!

Anyone want to bring this back around to the thread at hand?

Hell why not me. I'm embarrassed to admit this, after 30 years of collecting and having seen a great deal, but I don't know why Plant always says "Ta", as in " thank you very much, ta". Anyone willing to clear that up for me?

Hell why not me. I'm embarrassed to admit this, after 30 years of collecting and having seen a great deal, but I don't know why Plant always says "Ta", as in " thank you very much, ta". Anyone willing to clear that up for me?

A slang word for Thanks.

The word is a result of the heavy Danish influence on the English language. Most people do not realize that the English language roots are really Danish or Jutland. Equiped with this knowledge this word is easy to decipher.

The Danish word for Thanks is tak. In Scotland and upper England it was common to drop the k at the end because of the way words were pronounced during the time of old English and Middle English. Hence the slang word "Ta" which should actually be pronounced "TA-k" but over time became "Ta" is really Tak meaning "Thanks"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ta

It's quite common to hear people in all parts of the UK saying "Ta very much", instead of "thanks very much".

...The whole smoking ban on planes is kind of stupid. I mean, there's always going to be a certain percentage of people who are scared of flying (Jimmy definitely was at one point - don't know if it improved any with age), and a certain percentage of those will be smokers whose usual coping strategy when feeling jittery is to have a fag. If you deny them that, then they just self-medicate by drinking too much. Air rage incidents have shot up since the complete ban on smoking on planes, and so has the rate of people picking up infections on planes, because they're recycling the air (and any viruses and bacteria that are in it) more - when there's smoking on a plane, they legally have to completely change the air more frequently. Airlines would save themselves a lot of grief if they brought back smoking sections. Either that or make it standard practice to hand out nicotine sprays or something...

The problem with smoking sections is that the cigarette smoke would invariably drift over to the non-smoking section and bother the rest of us. I'm not without sympathy for people who dread flying. However, they could probably find coping strategies that don't infringe on other people if they only asked their doctors.