Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve,

This one may be a bit of a stretch, sort of along the lines of the mysterious Iceland show set list from June 1970, and whether or not any of the newly recorded 3rd album songs were played at that show: I just read an interview Robert did with the local press in Holland, the day after Zep's first gig in 18 months (Rotterdam, January 11, 1975) and before the next warm up gig in Brussels on the 12th. Robert allegedly messed up the lyrics to Stairway in Rotterdam, and suggested in the interview that Zep played too many songs at the Rotterdam show (for the first live show in 18 months), and that Zep wouldn't or shouldn't play as many for Brussels the next night. Because Brussels was recorded, we know the set list. But Rotterdam, no live show exists, nor to our knowledge, a review with a set list.

As a result, this makes this request a stretch, so apologies in advance for the mystery question: would you possibly know if Zep played some songs in Rotterdam, that they did not play in Brussels, or maybe even the rest of the '75 US Tour? The other mystery adding to this question, is that unlike 1977, we don't have a tour rehearsal report on what songs were attempted prior to the start of the 1975 tour, other than what we have live on all 1975 shows (the exception being, I thought I read they tried Custard Pie in rehearsal, but never tried onstage, unless possibly Rotterdam).

A mini mystery that may go unsolved!

How about the supposed pact they made with the Devil, excluding John Paul Jones?

Hi ozzyIsDio.

I have mentioned in an earlier article that Jimmy signed a photo, for me, in 1975, featuring him in the Black Dragon suit and it reads:

??????????

GOD BLESS,

YOUR FRIEND,

JIMMY.

Which leads me to believe that the Devil theory was a clever additive to the already mysterious world of Led Zeppelin.

Edited by ZISH

Steve,

This one may be a bit of a stretch, sort of along the lines of the mysterious Iceland show set list from June 1970, and whether or not any of the newly recorded 3rd album songs were played at that show: I just read an interview Robert did with the local press in Holland, the day after Zep's first gig in 18 months (Rotterdam, January 11, 1975) and before the next warm up gig in Brussels on the 12th. Robert allegedly messed up the lyrics to Stairway in Rotterdam, and suggested in the interview that Zep played too many songs at the Rotterdam show (for the first live show in 18 months), and that Zep wouldn't or shouldn't play as many for Brussels the next night. Because Brussels was recorded, we know the set list. But Rotterdam, no live show exists, nor to our knowledge, a review with a set list.

As a result, this makes this request a stretch, so apologies in advance for the mystery question: would you possibly know if Zep played some songs in Rotterdam, that they did not play in Brussels, or maybe even the rest of the '75 US Tour? The other mystery adding to this question, is that unlike 1977, we don't have a tour rehearsal report on what songs were attempted prior to the start of the 1975 tour, other than what we have live on all 1975 shows (the exception being, I thought I read they tried Custard Pie in rehearsal, but never tried onstage, unless possibly Rotterdam).

A mini mystery that may go unsolved!

According to my notes a Rotterdam review was published in the January 29, 1975 issue of the Dutch music magazine MUZIEKKRANT OOR. However, I don't have it on file so I don't know if it discusses the songs performed...perhaps Roger Berlin can help us obtain it. One of the other reviews posted to the official timeline seems to confirm they did perform The Rain Song and Over The Hills And Far Away.

Tour rehearsals at Liveware in November 1974 typically went 3 to 10 pm, and Mike Corby of The Baby's jammed with them on and off for about ten days in November/December. He may recall some specifics as to what was being performed, but aside from that we'd have to delve into interviews and see if there are any relevant quotes to be found.

Steve,

"Freedom Song" on JPJ's Thundertheif, refers to New York City as "just a few hours away". Did JPJ have a house "a few hours away" from NYC at that time? I would have thought he only lived in the UK.

JPJ was residing in the UK. A few verses later he alludes to "calling in sick"..."taking a few days off"...and flying. To me the lyrics are not strictly self-referential, rather they express notions that many people can identify with.

According to my notes a Rotterdam review was published in the January 29, 1975 issue of the Dutch music magazine MUZIEKKRANT OOR. However, I don't have it on file so I don't know if it discusses the songs performed...perhaps Roger Berlin can help us obtain it. One of the other reviews posted to the official timeline seems to confirm they did perform The Rain Song and Over The Hills And Far Away.

I've been searching all week for a review I saw so I could post it here. It was a review about an early 1975 show and I'm not sure but it could have been one of the Chicago gigs, as the first half of the 21st of January show was not recorded, but I was trying to get the bootleg and on this website (I won't post links here, don't worry) they had a plethora of reviews before the links to the download, and I was skipping through the reviews and I remember seeing this "In The Light might be an internacional hit", or something very similiar and along those lines.

Now, I don't know what to make of this, but I know for sure that this concert was before Physical Graffiti was released, so I'm pretty sure it was from the 1st leg of the 1975 American Tour.

Another possibility is that Zeppelin could have handed a copy of the song to play on the radio before it was released and the reviewer heard it before the show, the rolling stones used to do that all the time.

I'm gonna keep looking for the damned review, as soon as I find it I'll post it here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Steve,

On this date, November 7, 1969, Zep played the 2nd of a 3 night stay at the infamous Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The opening act was The Bonzo Dog Band. I don't know anything about them (I'll look them up shortly), but their name got me thinking: could they, or their band name, be the source for John Bonham's Bonzo nickname? I don't recall when Bonzo received that nickname, but it makes me think if he didn't have this nickname by these concert dates in San Francisco, maybe someone close to the band saw this opening act name, and decided Bonham should have the nickname Bonzo? Little bit of a stretch, but thought I'd ask.

Steve,

On this date, November 7, 1969, Zep played the 2nd of a 3 night stay at the infamous Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The opening act was The Bonzo Dog Band. I don't know anything about them (I'll look them up shortly), but their name got me thinking: could they, or their band name, be the source for John Bonham's Bonzo nickname? I don't recall when Bonzo received that nickname, but it makes me think if he didn't have this nickname by these concert dates in San Francisco, maybe someone close to the band saw this opening act name, and decided Bonham should have the nickname Bonzo? Little bit of a stretch, but thought I'd ask.

Many sources claim Bonzo's nickname was given to him by Robert Plant well before Led Zeppelin formed and was inspired by the English comic strip dog of the same name:

http://www.goantiques.com/bonzo-the-dog-1636011

Uncertain if Robert has ever confirmed the comic strip dog was the inspiration for the nickname. My first thought was perhaps John's nickname was inspired by the 1951 film Bedtime for Bonzo, wherein a comedic attempt is made to teach morals to a chimp, however that is admittedly pure speculation on my part.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve, a question only you could awnser: I recently saw the Concert For Kampuchea performance by Mccartney & The Wings plus friends, and among others

Robert Plant, John Bonham and JPJ were performers, is there any particular reason as to why Jimmy wasn't invited or was not there?

I'll leave the link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzcFeTv1_-E

Also, in Lucille, Robert's playing Paul's Hofner bass, wich is something really cool.

Steve, a question only you could awnser: I recently saw the Concert For Kampuchea performance by Mccartney & The Wings plus friends, and among others Robert Plant, John Bonham and JPJ were performers, is there any particular reason as to why Jimmy wasn't invited or was not there?

Actually, I don't show a reason why he wasn't there. If I had to guess I'd say he may have been away on a Christmas/end of year holiday or didn't want Led Zeppelin to overshadow the event. Interestingly enough, earlier the very same month (Dec 2nd) Jimmy did attend the Wings concert in Brighton and afterward The McCartney's as well as Denny Laine stayed the night with him as guests at Plumpton Place.

Well this may not be exactly what you were looking for but I will at least pose the question. "Who stole the money from the safe deposit box at the drake Hotel?" I have heard MANY rumors but was it ever proven who stole it?

No criminal charges were ever filed and it has never been proven who stole the money. The theft has been discussed many times in other threads (search "Drake Hotel")

and you are quite right, there are many rumors concerning it. I have always maintained my belief it was an inside job (hotel staff and/or mob associates) and the fact that Led Zeppelin never stayed there again arguably suggests the band's management may have come to the same conclusion.

This happening was a result of a completely and perfectly directed (and orchestrated) "heist" from one of the Mafia "families" in NYC in 1973. I would not be any what surprised if Peter Grant and Steven Weiss had something to do with any of this.

If anyone should think or say otherwise, please say so.

I am Open to all thoughts, queries and opinions...

Edited by kingzoso

This happening was a result of a completely and perfectly directed (and orchestrated) "heist" from one of the Mafia "families" in NYC in 1973. I would not be any what surprised if Peter Grant and Steven Weiss had something to do with any of this.

If anyone should think or say otherwise, please say so.

I am Open to all thoughts, queries and opinions...

In order for Peter Grant and attorney Steven Weiss to have conspired to steal the band's own money Steven would have had to agree to put his professional reputation on the line. I can't see Steven Weiss risking disbarment from his profession for anyone, let alone for just a cut of approx one hundred eighty thousand dollars. Aside from that, it's my understanding both passed polygraph tests (lie detector tests).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IR8iDqrXy8

Many sources claim Bonzo's nickname was given to him by Robert Plant well before Led Zeppelin formed and was inspired by the English comic strip dog of the same name:

http://www.goantiques.com/bonzo-the-dog-1636011

Uncertain if Robert has ever confirmed the comic strip dog was the inspiration for the nickname. My first thought was perhaps John's nickname was inspired by the 1951 film Bedtime for Bonzo, wherein a comedic attempt is made to teach morals to a chimp, however that is admittedly pure speculation on my part.

Since that link has been taken down, here's a different link for my fellow Led Zeppelin board members convenience, George Studdy and Bonzo -- "This site takes you through the history behind Bonzo, the famous cartoon character created by George Studdy."

• 4 weeks later...

I propose two questions, not huge mysteries mind you:

1) I know Plant and Bonham didn't, but did Jones, Page or Grant ever return to the States between August 1977 and September 1980? If so for what reason or business?

2) I can't recall ever seeing any 1980 photos of Page and Plant in the "locked heads" position during the "ah ah" section of Achilles. Did they not do it during the song after 1977?

I propose two questions, not huge mysteries mind you:

1) I know Plant and Bonham didn't, but did Jones, Page or Grant ever return to the States between August 1977 and September 1980? If so for what reason or business?

2) I can't recall ever seeing any 1980 photos of Page and Plant in the "locked heads" position during the "ah ah" section of Achilles. Did they not do it during the song after 1977?

Answer to #1: Not to my knowledge. Having said that, it's not clear when Page & Jones departed the States following the brawl in Oakland, although it was probably by the end of July 1977, if not August 1977.

Answer to #2: Not to my knowledge, but a credible eyewitness account or photograph could prove otherwise.

Steve-

Wasn't this right around the time that a young man (full name escapes me...last name Hale?) who passed away at Plumpton Place?

You've asked Mr Jones for an answer, so my intention is not to stand on anyone's toes. There are a few sources on the internet concerning this tragic young man (Mr Hale). Obviously, I don't know if the answers on the internet to queries about Philip Hale are correct, but while you await an answer from Mr Jones, I shall copy the texts which I have found.

"...He moved out (of Plumpton Place) in 1980 after a local photographer named Philip Hale (aged 26) died of vomit inhalation during a party on October 24th 1979."

From allexperts.com backspace wrote at 2010-03-22 17:35:53

"To finally set the record straight: Page was indeed present that night. The "fan" to whom you refer was actually a neighbor who lived within walking distance of Plumpton Place and grew up in the village. His name was Philip Hale, he was 26 years old and a graduate of the Royal College of Art. Hale and Page became friends after meeting at the Ronnie Wood gig a few years before. He overdosed on heroin supplied to him by Page (Hale had not done heroin before). He was found dead in one of the guest bedrooms at Plumpton Place the following morning when a member of the household went to wake him with a cup of tea. There was a coroner's inquest which Page was required to attend and answer questions. Page and a distraught Charlotte attended Hale's funeral and moved out of the house shortly afterwards though it took a long time to actually sell it. Ironically, and more famously, a similar tragedy ocurred again the following year at their next house (in Windsor) when Led Zep drummer John Bonham was found dead following a night of binge drinking. "

Edited by 1973fan

Steve-

Wasn't this right around the time that a young man (full name escapes me...last name Hale?) who passed away at Plumpton Place?

Philip Churchill Hale, a photographer, designer and friend of Jimmy's was found dead at Plumpton Place the morning of October 25, 1979. As I recall, Jimmy testified he'd last seen Hale the night prior at Plumpton Place.

You've asked Mr Jones for an answer, so my intention is not to stand on anyone's toes. There are a few sources on the internet concerning this tragic young man (Mr Hale). Obviously, I don't know if the answers on the internet to queries about Philip Hale are correct, but while you await an answer from Mr Jones, I shall copy the texts which I have found.

"...He moved out (of Plumpton Place) in 1980 after a local photographer named Philip Hale (aged 26) died of vomit inhalation during a party on October 24th 1979."

From allexperts.com backspace wrote at 2010-03-22 17:35:53

"To finally set the record straight: Page was indeed present that night. The "fan" to whom you refer was actually a neighbor who lived within walking distance of Plumpton Place and grew up in the village. His name was Philip Hale, he was 26 years old and a graduate of the Royal College of Art. Hale and Page became friends after meeting at the Ronnie Wood gig a few years before. He overdosed on heroin supplied to him by Page (Hale had not done heroin before). He was found dead in one of the guest bedrooms at Plumpton Place the following morning when a member of the household went to wake him with a cup of tea. There was a coroner's inquest which Page was required to attend and answer questions. Page and a distraught Charlotte attended Hale's funeral and moved out of the house shortly afterwards though it took a long time to actually sell it. Ironically, and more famously, a similar tragedy ocurred again the following year at their next house (in Windsor) when Led Zep drummer John Bonham was found dead following a night of binge drinking. "

Page having provided Hale with heroin was never proven in any court of law, so I'm not sure why anyone would state that as a fact. Hale's death having been the reason for Jimmy to move out is unfounded conjecture to me. Certainly, he did not move out of Old Mill House after John's death.

Edited by SteveAJones