Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Actually man, I asked this in a thread a while back because i was curious too. Did some research, Howlin' Wolf did a album in the 60's remaking his own songs. Giving them a pshycadelic fell to them. That riff is in the redone version of Smokestack Lightning. Now, i'm not sure if that is where Page got it from because back then riffs repeated so much, hard telling where it came from, but note for note, that's where i found it.

Here is the track, released in early 1969. There is a faction of Led Zeppelin fans who believe that this song was John Paul Jones' inspiration for the "Black Dog" riff. (Although I personally think Jones got it from

)

Steve,

When did Jimmy visit Portugal? I know he came while on vacation and bought the portuguese guitar, but I need to know the year and approximate date of

the visit. Are there any photos?

Jimmy reportedly took his family on a one month holiday to Portugal in August 1983.

Jimmy returned to Lisbon in July 1987 to purchase a custom-made guitar from Serhor Gracio at his factory for $1,500.00

I don't recall seeing any photographs in circulation from either visit to Portugal.

Jimmy reportedly took his family on a one month holiday to Portugal in August 1983.

Jimmy returned to Lisbon in July 1987 to purchase a custom-made guitar from Serhor Gracio at his factory for $1,500.00

I don't recall seeing any photographs in circulation from either visit to Portugal.

Ok then. This is already plenty of info right here. It's just that I was having an argument with a buddy of mine that Jimmy did infact come to Portugal to spend some vacations with his family but he wouldn't believe me. Thanks.

Here is the track, released in early 1969. There is a faction of Led Zeppelin fans who believe that this song was John Paul Jones' inspiration for the "Black Dog" riff. (Although I personally think Jones got it from

)

I agree with you. The Howlin' Wolf riff is what Zep used for live versions of The Killing Floor (Lemon Song). It doesn't sound lihe the inspiration for Black Dog to me. The Muddy Waters riff sounds closer.

Ok then. This is already plenty of info right here. It's just that I was having an argument with a buddy of mine that Jimmy did infact come to Portugal to spend some vacations with his family but he wouldn't believe me. Thanks.

Sometimes I can't read my own handwriting...it looks like Serhor Gracio but is probably Senor Gracio. Anyway, this is the guy I'm referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilberto_Gr%C3%A1cio_(Portuguese_Guitar_Manufacturer)

Sometimes I can't read my own handwriting...it looks like Serhor Gracio but is probably Senor Gracio. Anyway, this is the guy I'm referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilberto_Gr%C3%A1cio_(Portuguese_Guitar_Manufacturer)

Ah, that makes more sense!! Well, since we're on the topic, he's portuguese and Senor is spanish form for Senhor in portuguese,wich actualy means "Mr.", so he should be

refered to as Mr. Grácio. Just some portugese trivia ;)

Edited by magerogue

Gloria was the wife of an Atlantic Record's executive that was part of the 1980 tour entourage. Bonham pointed out that he really liked Gloria's sunglasses and asked her if he could wear them on stage in Berlin. The glasses can be seen on Bonzo throughout the final gig. They would be an amazing artifact if they could be found.

Jonesy can also be seen wearing the glasses in a backstage photo taken with Bonham on either July 5th or 6th. Bonzo is sans beard in the photo.

The Atlantic executive is interviewed as part of Dave Lewis' book "Feather in the Wind".

Gloria was the wife of an Atlantic Record's executive that was part of the 1980 tour entourage. Bonham pointed out that he really liked Gloria's sunglasses and asked her if he could wear them on stage in Berlin. The glasses can be seen on Bonzo throughout the final gig. They would be an amazing artifact if they could be found.

Jonesy can also be seen wearing the glasses in a backstage photo taken with Bonham on either July 5th or 6th. Bonzo is sans beard in the photo.

The Atlantic executive is interviewed as part of Dave Lewis' book "Feather in the Wind".

There are backstage photos for the 1980 tour? Please, do post!!

Jimmy Page's 2008 Japanese Media Itinerary (Tentative)

Unsure where to share this so I thought I'd post it here...while organizing some files earlier tonight I encountered what was sent to me as Jimmy's tentative media itinerary for Japan in 2008. I'm seeking confirmation of each, specifically recordings of the radio interviews and digital scans of the press coverage:

Interviewer media date of release
===========================
Saitama NACK5 radio 28 Jan - 1 Feb
bayfm INTER X-PRESS radio 12, 14 Feb
Live Soup video 8 Feb
Shukan Shincho mag 7 Feb
Shukan Post mag 15 Feb
Shukan Asahi mag 15 Feb
Shukan Playboy mag 18 Feb
SPA! mag 12 Feb
NHK Eigode Shabera Night TV 25 Feb. Mon 11:00
TV Asahi Midnight Mini Programme Ontama! TV
25 - 29 Feb. 24:10 - (5 night series of brief appearances)
TBS News 23 Special TV 29 Feb. 11:00 -
bayfm Seisoku Ito's Jimmy Page Interview Special radio 2 Feb.
FM Yokohama RADO DOCK radio 1 Feb. 17:00-

In addition to these, there was daily quality national newspaper coverage
but I am not sure if they did exclusive interviews or not:

Asahi News paper 30 Jan
Nikkei News paper 31 Jan
Mainichi News paper 2 Feb
Sankei News paper 3 Feb

Steve,

Did Jimmy appear on Eigo De Shabera naito ?

The national press coverage will usually be the same interview doing the rounds.

Do you know the date of Jimmys visit.?

Eigo De Shabera naito? (Can You Speak English?) was a Japanese talk show on NHK from 2003-2009. It's not on his promotional duties list and to my knowledge he did not appear on the program.

Jimmy arrived in Tokyo circa January 27, 2008 for about a week. He was in Bangkok on February 3, 2008, also for about a week at leisure.

It's said that a picture often speaks a thousand words. Take a good look at this one

submitted to me by Horselunges and posted to the board by Mr. Zoso:

Jimmy Page and his companion Charlotte Martin upon arrival, Dorval Airport in Montreal. They look so pissed off! Here's why:

The April 18th 1970 edition of The Montreal Gazette reported Led Zeppelin departed Minneapolis for Montreal at 6am the day of the show. They transited Milwaukee before arriving in Toronto, where they encountered a very frustrating delay to clear customs.

Ultimately, they arrived in Montreal frazzled, with a show to perform that same night!

Another interesting mystery concerning Montreal 1970 is they actually returned a couple days after their Montreal Forum concert. Jimmy went browsing thru the antique district looking for a Tiffany lamp on April 15th.

More on this submitted to me from Grandmeaulne:

There is indeed an antique shopping district just a few blocks south of the old Montreal Forum. It's located on Notre-Dame street, roughly between Atwater and Guy streets.

I kick myself for throwing out my older-brother's copy of a French-language weekly entertainment paper. He attended the concert and it covered the 1970 concert straight from the moment the band landed at the Dorval airport (with pictures of the band in the arrival area) to gossips about what they did and where they went. And there was a pic of Jimmy with Charlotte waiting for their luggage!

I also remember the story because it detailed how the concert was a marketing break-through for the promoter, Donald K. Donald. Back then (and still today, to a much lesser degree) the city of Montreal was divided into two hermeticaly closed communities: English and French. While French Canadians bought records, they rarely attended concerts at the Forum (located in the English part of town) with marketing limited to the English-language press and radio. But the reviewer wrote that for once, French-Canadians did attend the show en-masse, which probably led to its record attendance for a rock concert.

I think the paper was Echo-Vedette. It still exists today as a sort of star-oriented supermarket tabloid. I'm tempted to convince the publisher to dig into his archives for that copy.

Steve, I just want to thank you for your contributions on this forum. It's good to have a devoted connaisseur who hasn't moved to a more specialized board.

I know this is old, but would this also be when Jimmy found out his Les Paul did not arrive at the airport? Thanks Steve.

I know this is old, but would this also be when Jimmy found out his Les Paul did not arrive at the airport? Thanks Steve.

Actually, I've been meaning to confirm if he used it at The Forum in Montreal that night and if so, if he used it in Ottawa. He's given at least two different accounts of what happened...one suggests it was stolen enroute to Canada, the other possibly suggests enroute to the states from Canada.

Guitar World January 1991: "Which guitar did you use on Whole Lotta Love?

Page: The Les Paul. I had been using a Black Beauty, which got nicked (stolen) in the States. It disappeared in airports, somewhere between Boston and Montreal. A lot of my studio work had been done with that guitar. I didn't want to take it out of the house. Funny that once I did take it out, it got nicked!

(Note: The next gig after Montreal was Ottawa on 4/14 and the next gig after that was Evansville, IN on 4/16. He was in Montreal on 4/15 and went antique shopping that evening...perhaps flight to Evansville on 4/16 had a connection/change in planes in Boston? Or did he mean to say between Bloomington and Montreal, which would correlate to what I suggested earlier about the theft occurring on 4/13/70?) --SAJ

----

Usually I never took that on the road, because it was so precious. But things were going so well for us that I eventually took it over and it suddenly went.

It had a big tremlo arm and Joe Jammer custom wired it for me. I was starting to use it more than anything else. It got nicked off the truck at the airport. We were on our way to Canada. Somewhere there was a flight change and it disappeared. It just never arrived at the other end. I advertised for it in Rolling Stone. Just a photograph -no name- and a reward. No luck though, even though it was very recognizable for all the custom work that Joe Jammer done on it.

-- Jimmy Page

----

Royal Albert Hall London January 9, 1970

GibsonLPBlackBeauty1RAH.jpg

Curtis Hickson Hall Tampa, FL April 9, 1970

GibsonLPBlackBeauty1Florida1970.jpg

Thanks Steve, I've always wondered every time I see that picture if he was waiting to hear where is guitar had gone. Speaking of guitars, I heard a really wild story on a Les Paul Forum that apparently Eric Clapton's stolen Beano Les Paul is actually Jimmy's 59 that he received from Joe Walsh. Sounds a bit odd but I thought maybe you would have some insight to this extravagant rumor. Thanks.

There are a million stories around the beano paul. Nobody knows where the guitar is, but I can garantee you that it's no Page's, the Beano, at least from the 2 photos available, seems to be a '58, and JP's #1 is a '59. There's also a rumour that the les paul that was used on that specific album isn't the les paul we reckon Clapton used on it. Frankly, Clapton was on so many drugs at the time, he even said it's impossible to pin the guitar, or it's specifics down because he used a lot of guitars during a small period of time. Clapton is very confused when it comes to his gear. The beano paul was supposadly nicked in Greece when Cream were doing a tour there, hence the change to the SG, but Clapton already stated he's not sure if that was the one he used on the Beano album because he had two at the time. When Eric was asked bout the Lucy Les Paul that he gave to Harrison when the Beatles were recording the white album, he said he came back from the States with that Les Paul but he already had one so he gave it to Harrison, that sort of prooves the theory that he infact had another one, but not two, as he changed to SG's in late '67 and the White Album was being recorded throughout 1968.

I also heard the story that Eric knows the guy who has it, but won't do anything. He sold Brownie and his ES-335, why would he care about a Les Paul he used on one record. It wasn't a special guitar to him, probably asked for a roadie to go get a guitar that sort of stayed in tune and wasn't very expensive. I mean, if he let the truth out, how would gibson capitalize on the Beano Les Paul? There's that too.

The Beano is a 59 for sure and is 100% not the guitar from Greece or Bernie Marsden's. He did buy a 1960 Burst from Andy Summers of the Police after his was stolen and also borrowed Kieth Richards Burst with the Bigsby. Apparently there are a handful of people close to Eric who know where the guitar is and that it is in fact still in London. Just wanted to know if Steve had heard this rumor and maybe had some insight. I personally don't believe it, but any information would be cool either way.