Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

16 hours ago, Mook said:

It's traditional grip he's using and to my eyes that looks like a 1972 hair cut.

Actually, it's quite possibly a February '70 haircut & beard.

Image result for john bonham june 1970
Edited by Mook

• Administrators
On 6/9/2017 at 10:21 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

SAJ

you have anything on this please?  Thank you.

jb.jpg

The band were each photographed at their homes in January 1970. These first appeared in Bravo magazine (Germany) in the March 1970 issue.

bravo70-zepathome_0.jpg

On 6/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, tyler19 said:

SAJ - Has it ever come up why Robert Plant was so against the medley and jam in Whole Lotta Love in LZ's latter years?

Of all the excesses that a Led Zeppelin live could have, I never thought this was one of them. I never thought it grew stale unlike the D&C jam, nor did it go on too long and be the bloated excess that No Quarter, Moby Dick and WS/BM and noise solo often were. I thought it paid homage to their influences in a very joyful way and really highlighted what an unstoppable unit they were on stage.

There was still a fair amount of jamming during Whole Lotta Love on the last tour.

Little did John Bonham know, may he rest in peace, that buying that kit for Jason at such a young age, and any lessons he may have given him at a young age, would be the #1 reason Led Zeppelin would reunite in 2007 with Jason on drums. Putting on a spectacular performance, even by Zeppelin's high standards. Theres no mystery about that one, folks. :) 

Its a Zeppelin mystery to me, and I'm sure many others, but what is the "horizontal lines" effect that happens with Earls Court, Knebworth, and Seattle '77 screen footage? All shows with screens present showing the video feed seem to have this, others with film cameras don't. Its briefly explained in the official 2003 DVD booklet, but doesn't make much sense to me. Is it along the lines of how a garage band can blow the breaker by playing loud, not always loud, but some notes/deep bass notes pull lots of power from the electric company? Hell if I know. I know I've blown a few breakers in my lifetime. Anyone who can explain this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated. Just gets my curiosity. The lines never have bothered me, or made any Zeppelin video less enjoyable, but I've wondered why... :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 10:59 AM, Dirty Work said:

Its a Zeppelin mystery to me, and I'm sure many others, but what is the "horizontal lines" effect that happens with Earls Court, Knebworth, and Seattle '77 screen footage? All shows with screens present showing the video feed seem to have this, others with film cameras don't. Its briefly explained in the official 2003 DVD booklet, but doesn't make much sense to me. Is it along the lines of how a garage band can blow the breaker by playing loud, not always loud, but some notes/deep bass notes pull lots of power from the electric company? Hell if I know. I know I've blown a few breakers in my lifetime. Anyone who can explain this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated. Just gets my curiosity. The lines never have bothered me, or made any Zeppelin video less enjoyable, but I've wondered why... :)

What is the explanation provided in the booklet?

I know, strange question, but a lot of Zeppelin's videos have them. I lost my booklet but by memory it says something similar to my original post? In the section talking about baking their film at 70-something degrees and all that. Weird stuff for a booklet, but got my curiosity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 6/13/2017 at 3:22 AM, Dirty Work said:

4.jpg

BTW... in the pic above, the guy holding the camera between RP and JP is Gilles Chateau (with whom I did the Led Zeppelin: The Montreux Concerts photo book). http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/august-8-1971

One of Gilles' photos:

montreux71-3_0.jpg

The banding is known as "microphony". To quote from Wikipedia - "The term may also be used to describe a video artifact common in older video cameras. Before the introduction of solid-state CCD sensors to produce the image, vacuum tubes performed this task. Loud noises in the studio, such as rock bands or gunshot effects would cause the tubes to vibrate, producing a characteristic undesirable horizontal banding in the image."

I remember reading an article about the official Live Aid DVD compilation which mentioned how microphony caused the same kind of horizontal banding from time to time.

Edited by nigelss

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2009 at 2:02 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I'm not too sure about the date, but it was definitely in Life magazine at some point around the late/mid-1980s.

Edit:

Here it is:

Elvis.com link

"Robert Plant made his second visit to Graceland this week. Plant's first visit was in 1987 for a LIFE Magazine photo shoot with other music stars for the magazine's feature commemorating the 10th anniversary of Elvis's passing."

I've learned a photo of Robert with Bernard Lansky was published in a book about the clothier (at 5:03 in video below). It seems to have been taken at their store at the Peabody Hotel circa 2007-08 when he was spending a lot time in Tennessee working with Alison Krauss. The book was published in 2010.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi SAJ:)

As Im browsing through this topic and seeing that its almost 10 years to the day since you started it, my question is since started, what "mysteries" are the ones that you remember most? 

THX

PS I saw something about a book RP was reading that influenced writing STH. . Any titles that he read that you could possibly recommend??

THX 2.0:))

Edited by Bozoso73

6 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi SAJ:)

As Im browsing through this topic and seeing that its almost 10 years to the day since you started it, my question is since started, what "mysteries" are the ones that you remember most? 

THX

PS I saw something about a book RP was reading that influenced writing STH. . Any titles that he read that you could possibly recommend??

THX 2.0:))

Hi Bozoso73,

With regard to lyrics for StH, Robert Plant has cited Magic Arts in Celtic Britain by Lewis Spence as a source of inspiration.  

As with any ten year adventure, we usually forget more than we remember. In that respect, scrolling through this thread, which I haven't done in awhile, would certainly be a cornucopia of memory joggers. It's funny but the ones I tend to recall the most are the silly and often still unresolved "mysteries" such as if Eddie Van Halen approached John Bonham at a club in Los Angeles in 1975 or if Jimmy was in New Orleans when the 1977 tour was postponed. All that said, the one mystery I recall the most isn't even in this thread (I don't think). I once sent an inquiry to Sam asking if he could put me out of my misery by asking JPJ if he'd confirm where his night time horse ride in TSRTS was filmed, specifically the scenes among the tombstones.  JPJ confirmed the location.

Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 5:06 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: re: led zep

Hi Steve,

I asked JPJ the questions you wanted to know:

He said he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the  
"Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he  
did for those songs. He recalled playing in Hamburg, but wasn't sure  
about any other dates.

Regarding the church in The Song Remains the Same - He recalls it  
being in Withyham, East Sussex, probably St. Michael's.

So there you have it!

all the best,
sam

--------------------------------

On 9/29/2017 at 9:23 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Got this from Howard Mylett years ago... This is supposedly a rehearsal at the Rainbow Theatre 1972

72-73-uk-soundcheck1.jpg

Mick Hinton's tour itinerary shows rehearsals at the Rainbow Theatre in London on Nov 27 & 28 1972. JPJ's coat and Jimmy's coat at far right match those in these photos taken just a few months later.

jacket 1.jpg

jacket 2.jpg

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Mick Hinton's tour itinerary shows rehearsals at the Rainbow Theatre in London on Nov 27 & 28 1972. JPJ's coat and Jimmy's coat at far right match those in these photos taken just a few months later.

yes, but JPJ didn't cut his hair short like that until about mid-December '72, before the Birmingham show. Looks like short hair in the rehearsal pic.

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Hi Bozoso73,

With regard to lyrics for StH, Robert Plant has cited Magic Arts in Celtic Britain by Lewis Spence as a source of inspiration.  

As with any ten year adventure, we usually forget more than we remember. In that respect, scrolling through this thread, which I haven't done in awhile, would certainly be a cornucopia of memory joggers. It's funny but the ones I tend to recall the most are the silly and often still unresolved "mysteries" such as if Eddie Van Halen approached John Bonham at a club in Los Angeles in 1975 or if Jimmy was in New Orleans when the 1977 tour was postponed. All that said, the one mystery I recall the most isn't even in this thread (I don't think). I once sent an inquiry to Sam asking if he could put me out of my misery by asking JPJ if he'd confirm where his night time horse ride in TSRTS was filmed, specifically the scenes among the tombstones.  JPJ confirmed the location.

Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 5:06 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: re: led zep

Hi Steve,

I asked JPJ the questions you wanted to know:

He said he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the  
"Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he  
did for those songs. He recalled playing in Hamburg, but wasn't sure  
about any other dates.

Regarding the church in The Song Remains the Same - He recalls it  
being in Withyham, East Sussex, probably St. Michael's.

So there you have it!

all the best,
sam

--------------------------------

Thanks Mr. Jones:) Its a fascinating thread that you started and the reading can go on for hours (as it did last night). . People really do dig out off the wall questions for you and I think "he wont know" but you do!:):) Thanks again for answering my off the wall questions:):)

PS One more question if I may The "Studio Magik Sessions" I have has 20 hours of outtakes (Im sure you have it as well). .Was this part of the fleecing of JP's house in the 80's? I searched for it and couldnt find any info. .Plus were the SBDs of 1977 taken from this as well? 

THX again:):)

Edited by Bozoso73

7 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

yes, but JPJ didn't cut his hair short like that until about mid-December '72, before the Birmingham show. Looks like short hair in the rehearsal pic.

I dunno, still looks long to me in that pic, isn't that hair on his shoulder? Anyway - cool photo

11 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Hmm. Well, I think you meant to say Brighton (12/20/72) which Howard did attend so perhaps he also meant to say Brighton.