Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

And there's a little Skip James in Robert Johnson. Not even he was above a little "borrowing".

And there is also a whole lotta Gary Johnson in Robert Johnson!....yes it is true, his older cousin was the original one who spoke of meeting the Devil at the crossroads, and selling him his soul...

and lets not forget the greatest of them all LeadBelly. without him there would be no Elvis/Dylan and even Zeppelin for that matter .LeadBelly was the real King!.... a true songster.

Edited by Fresh Garbage

Hello Cecil,

Swandown may be able to nail this one a bit better as far as the specifics but basically it is the name of someone who was involved in the manufacturing of the album on vinyl.

Many Thanks.......Cecil

Bill Ward claims to have been on good terms with Bonzo. I think the hard separation between LZ and "heavy metal" bands is a little artificial and frankly, snobbish. In reality a lot of these guys grew up in the same area and had the same musical influences.

I agree :D

I am not positive on this one. but pretty darn sure, that John Bonham was the best man for Toni Iommi. sometime in the mid-70's....

There's no particular significance to his wearing of the Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

He wore the same shirt on several of the other dates during that last leg of the USA

tour. The Led Zeppelin Boxed Set had been released that Autumn and I believe that

shirt was also recently released to coincide with it. I believe the shirt was licensed

thru Winterland Productions. My point is it was not a bootleg or fan-made shirt.

I've never heard anything concerning a food fight in Birmingham, Alabama. Please share

your story with the board or email me privately thru my profile page. Thanks!

Are you talking about the Jimmy Page shirt that has Jimmy from a side view with a cigarette in his mouth?.....because I used to have that shirt. and when I seen him at Alpine Valley that Summer he wore it for the encores...I thought of wearing it that night as well, but wore my Manic Nirvana shirt instead....lol

I seen Plant later that winter when TBC opened for him. and the show was great and all, but that show he did at Alpine Valley was one of the best concerts I have ever attended! that show will remain in my mind forever :D

Edited by Fresh Garbage

What's Phil Carson up to these days? Is he still alive?

And did he ever play onstage with Zep after,....Japan?? doing Whole lotta Love on bass?

Phil Carson is alive and well. He is a senior executive with Atlantic Records.

He joined Led Zeppelin on bass for 'Money' at Festhalle in Frankfurt on June 30th 1980.

He also joined The Firm on tour for a jam session as well as on holiday with Jimmy in

Ibiza.

I have no doubt in my mind that the 73 NYC robbery was Mob related. I read ton's of Mafia books. and sooner or later one of these guys in protective custody will come out and spill the beans.... I just a matter of when.

I have no doubt in my mind that the 73 NYC robbery was Mob related. I read ton's of Mafia books. and sooner or later one of these guys in protective custody will come out and spill the beans.... I just a matter of when.

Yes, almost certainly an inside job amongst the hotel staff. Peter Grant made sure they never stay at The Drake Hotel again and that says a lot as far as I'm concerned.

Phil Carson is alive and well. He is a senior executive with Atlantic Records.

He joined Led Zeppelin on bass for 'Money' at Festhalle in Frankfurt on June 30th 1980.

He also joined The Firm on tour for a jam session as well as on holiday with Jimmy in

Ibiza.

Phil Carson hasn't worked for Atlantic Records for quite some time.

Press release for American Masters (2007) - "Atlantic Records: The House That Ahmet Built"

Production Bios

AMERICAN MASTERS Atlantic Records: The House That Ahmet Built

PHIL CARSON

Music Executive

In a career that has spanned four decades, Phil Carson is firmly established as one of the most influential forces in rock music. After a successful career as a recording and touring musician, he was appointed senior vice president at Atlantic Records and was a major contributor at the label in the development of its trio of English mega bands: Led Zeppelin, Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer. He signed such multi-platinum artists as AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Gary Numan and Abba to Atlantic, brought Phil Collins to Warner Music Group, America to Warner Brothers, and co-produced the multi-platinum Honeydrippers CD with Robert Plant and Ahmet Ertegun. He was also responsible for bringing Virgin Records to the United States by signing a deal with Richard Branson, giving Atlantic distribution rights to the Virgin label for several years. The first release under that agreement was the multi-platinum "Tubular Bells," a groundbreaking piece of music used for the soundtrack of The Exorcist.

As president of the music division of JVC, he developed the classic rock-oriented Victory Music label. He earned a Grammy nomination for the acclaimed Muddy Water Blues album from Paul Rodgers and scored chart positions with new albums by David Bowie, Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

He is the president of Phil Carson Associates, a management and music company whose client list has included Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers, Yes, Motorhead, Asia, Foreigner, Ben E. King, Bad Company, The Who (for tour sponsorship) Twisted Sister, Jason Bonham, and Ronnie Wood. Recent projects include AMERICAN MASTERS Good Rockin' Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records, a documentary and soundtrack album that he produced with Ahmet Ertegun. The film premiered on PBS and the Billboard chart soundtrack CD featured newly-recorded tracks from such luminaries as Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Elton John, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Tom Petty, Kid Rock, and Sheryl Crow. He also serves as president of the North American division of DVDplus International, the company that developed the invertible hybrid DVD/CD disc technology known as DualDisc and DVDplus.

Phil Carson hasn't worked for Atlantic Records for quite some time.

Thanks for the update, Nine Lives! The last I heard he was working for Atlantic in the European market. It's not clear when he may have left but he shows no signs of slowing down in the music industry.

Thanks for the update, Nine Lives! The last I heard he was working for Atlantic in the European market. It's not clear when he may have left but he shows no signs of slowing down in the music industry.

He wasn't there by 1990, at least not actively, that I do know so I'm assuming sometime in the 80s.

Wasn't Phil Carson the Producer for "The House That Ahmet Built" in 2007....I always thought he was still working with or for Atlantic records as well......wow :huh:

It is to late for me to check now. maybe tomorrow...

He wasn't there by 1990, at least not actively, that I do know so I'm assuming sometime in the 80s.

That's the thing about those senior executive positions. Phil could have walked in one

day a week, staying just long enough to gut a fish at his desk and no one would have noticed. I believe he was on the Atlantic Records payroll far more recently than 1990

but I do not know.

Wasn't Phil Carson the Producer for "The House That Ahmet Built" in 2007....I always thought he was still working with or for Atlantic records as well......wow :huh:

It is to late for me to check now. maybe tomorrow...

Yes - see my post above for a copy of his bio :)

"In all the threads in all the forums in the world she walks into mine".

Humphrey Bogart fans will know what film I've adapted that line from. Someone impress me...quick.

Casablanca.

"In all the gin joints in all the world she walks into mine".

In '67, Traffic recorded 'Dear Mr.Fantasy.' Although Dave Mason was guitarist for Traffic, the solo played sounds remarkably like Jimmy Page and even has a few signature riffs of Page's that show up later in live versions of 'Thank You'

I know Jimmy was on tons of sessions at the time, one favourite being Joe Cocker's 'With A Little Help From My Friends.'

Any way Jimmy may have layed down that solo in Dear Mr. Fantasy for Traffic?

Very doubtful. Such a session would be too "high profile" for it to go unreported for 40 years.

good one kids....I never thought of it that uway until now. and yes it does sound like Page. one riff kinda reminds me of the live For Your Love- from the 10th of January 1969....Nice :D