Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Every single P/P show was archived on tape from the live-video/audio mix, recorded to Betacam video tape. Every one of these tapes was sent back to the Nochturne Video office in SF and stored in their vault. On occasion P/P called for certain tapes to be pulled out for news promo releases, etc...this is how the pro-shot Irvine '95, Hartford '95, etc. got out.

One of these days they are going to have to release a P/P live DVD. I know now is not the time because it might upset JPJ. Maybe if it becomes clear that there will be no more reunion activity there won't be any reason to hold back on these, as they played better on tour than they did for MTV.

The obvious candidate would be Dave Mattacks (Fairport Convention drummer who played on the DW2 soundtrack), but he didn't release any solo recordings in the early '80s.

That's the name I was trying to recall -- Dave Mattacks, but the other thing is the Death Wish II soundtrack was not released until well after Summer 1981. I should add I don't think Jimmy ever said he actually played guitar on any tracks outside of what may have been done for the Death Wish soundtrack so whatever record he put on perhaps he did so because he simply enjoyed it. I always thought if that was the case it may have been a Phil Collins solo album, which were quite popular.

According to an old issue of Yes magazine, Chris White & Alan Squire of Yes wrote and recorded about seven tracks for their Cinema project with Jimmy at his Sol Studio beginning on February 28th 1981. (Jimmy later used some of Squire's ideas for The Firm).

Bill Wyman did some recording at The Sol on March 7th 1981, sparking a "Page to Join

The Rolling Stones" rumor (!).

It was reported that George Harrison and Mick Fleetwood recorded at The Sol on March 30th 1981.

It would seem the mystery continues...

One of these days they are going to have to release a P/P live DVD. I know now is not the time because it might upset JPJ. Maybe if it becomes clear that there will be no more reunion activity there won't be any reason to hold back on these, as they played better on tour than they did for MTV.

The closest to a complete, pro-shot dvd from their first World Tour is Much Music's

1 hr 52 min 22 sec telecast of their January 26th 1996 concert at Serro Carril Stadium

in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The closest to a complete, pro-shot dvd from their second World Tour is WDR's

1 hr 30 min 56 sec telecast of their August 23rd 1998 concert at The 12th Annual

Bizarre Festival near Koln, Germany. This originally aired September 10th 1998.

I agree there should have been a Page/Plant live dvd release but it never happened.

Edited by SteveAJones

That's the name I was trying to recall -- Dave Mattacks, but the other thing is the Death Wish II soundtrack was not released until well after Summer 1981. I should add I don't think Jimmy ever said he actually played guitar on any tracks outside of what may have been done for the Death Wish soundtrack so whatever record he put on perhaps he did so because he simply enjoyed it. I always thought if that was the case it may have been a Phil Collins solo album, which were quite popular.

According to an old issue of Yes magazine, Chris White & Alan Squire of Yes wrote and recorded about seven tracks for their Cinema project with Jimmy at his Sol Studio beginning on February 28th 1981. (Jimmy later used some of Squire's ideas for The Firm).

Bill Wyman did some recording at The Sol on March 7th 1981, sparking a "Page to Join

The Rolling Stones" rumor (!).

It was reported that George Harrison and Mick Fleetwood recorded at The Sol on March 30th 1981.

It would seem the mystery continues...

Rat Scabies!!! :D

All right, I've got a question. I apologize if this has already been covered. You recently made a post that said that Jimmy Page made his American concert debut in Minneapolis on 8-5-66. (With the Yardbirds) My question: Was he the bass player on that gig?

All right, I've got a question. I apologize if this has already been covered. You recently made a post that said that Jimmy Page made his American concert debut in Minneapolis on 8-5-66. (With the Yardbirds) My question: Was he the bass player on that gig?

Yes, undoubtedly so. I've posted a link to photos of Jimmy performing a week later

in Monticello, Indiana on August 12th 1966 (the eighth gig of tour) and he's on bass.

Edited by SteveAJones

No, his jam with Rat Scabies at Nomis Studio in London was January 30, 1984...roughly

two and a half years after the August 30th 1981 incident in question.

I was only joking, being facetious!!! But glad you have the dates memories oh master! Speaking of Rat Scabies and Nomis...maybe that's the next one to put up for the Page completists!!

I was only joking, being facetious!!! But glad you have the dates memories oh master! Speaking of Rat Scabies and Nomis...maybe that's the next one to put up for the Page completists!!

Yes, I know. A previous post with that word will hopefully be deleted (as requested).

The recording of Jimmy jamming away with Rat Scabies has safely arrived, hasn't it? :o

Oh dear me, whatever will I think of next? Whatever it is you are the right man for the project. Contratulations on a successful, 100% non-profit release of Vancouver 1970

earlier today.

Okay, back to the mysteries! :)

This is not a trivia quiz thread, as the previous 368 posts make quite clear.

My sincere apology to you,SteveAJones,for being trivial for your mystery thread.

Just curious,did you know?

My sincere apology to you,SteveAJones,for being trivial for your mystery thread.

Just curious,did you know?

Apology accepted. If the person asking already knows the answer it's not a mystery! This thread is geared towards questions and topics which generally require collaboration.

Anyway, yes I did happen to know. Kingdom Come's hit single 'Get It On' debuted just

weeks before Robert was to launch his North American tour. In some markets there was even speculation it was a new Led Zeppelin single, depending upon how the radio hosts

presented it. Robert felt they went beyond the bounds of homage. For his part, singer Lenny Wolf made no apologies, saying something to the effect of "if I happen to sound like Robert Plant I take it as a compliment".

Now see the beauty here;you're detailed explanation tell of facts of which I was unaware.

Well, that's the essence of this thread: collaboration.

Kingdom Come and Whitesnake struck a nerve with a certain Robert Plant in 1988, who

was about to perform Led Zeppelin songs in concert for the first time as a solo artist.

Apology accepted. If the person asking already knows the answer it's not a mystery! This thread is geared towards questions and topics which generally require collaboration.

Anyway, yes I did happen to know. Kingdom Come's hit single 'Get It On' debuted just

weeks before Robert was to launch his North American tour. In some markets there was even speculation it was a new Led Zeppelin single, depending upon how the radio hosts

presented it. Robert felt they went beyond the bounds of homage. For his part, singer Lenny Wolf made no apologies, saying something to the effect of "if I happen to sound like Robert Plant I take it as a compliment".

And initially KC said that they had never heard Zeppelin. yeah right :blink:

OK,this one is a true mystery to me.If anything has been posted in the past,I've missed it.Tie my scurvy arse to the yardarm if so.

At the Atlantic 40th,at MSG,when Led Zeppelin was exiting the stage,a tall dude with outreached arms approached the band.It was like he was at some spiritual tent revival and had experienced a revelation.

Jason,Jimmy,and JPJ got out of the way damn quick.

As I recall,Robert stood his ground before security pounced on the guy.

Mystery:Who was this guy and how was security breached?Or was he supposed to be sidestage and just got carried away in the moment?Can you fill in the blanks?

Mystery:Who was this guy and how was security breached?Or was he supposed to be sidestage and just got carried away in the moment?Can you fill in the blanks?

Just an over zealous fan. People get onstage all the time despite the presence of security. Some months later Jimmy got blind-sided by some chick from the crowd in Nassau before the encore (Oct 28 1988).

A very memorable incident I can think of was during The Rolling Stones' pay-per-view telecast from Hampton Rhodes in Virginia (1981) when some nutter got onstage and ran about during 'Satisfaction'. Keith Richards took off his guitar and wielded it like an axe as the nut ran by. Years later he said something to the effect of "I nearly cut the mother down. You don't come up there when I'm trying to do my gig".

Back to the night in question, you have to remember the event had been going on

all afternoon and well past midnight so fatigue may also have been a factor. The

guy waited until the last possible moment.

Originally, I thought you were going to mention the older gentleman who hugged Robert Plant backstage after his solo set. That was the incomparable Eddie Kramer, who has

produced/engineered several Led Zeppelin albums.

Don't know if this was asked yet,...but whatever happened to Rodney Bingenheimer? I remember he had a bar or something. Last time I heard of him was a record realease for the Pretty Things or something of the sort.

And speaking of the Pretty Things,...

Don't know if this was asked yet,...but whatever happened to Rodney Bingenheimer? I remember he had a bar or something. Last time I heard of him was a record realease for the Pretty Things or something of the sort.

And speaking of the Pretty Things,...

Rodney's still around. Last I heard he was on the graveyard shift one night a week. They will never force him out completely; the guy's an institution. If you get the chance buy or rent 'The Mayor of the Sunset Strip', an excellent film which chronicles his life. Tales from the '70s Sunset Strip figure prominently of course. Led Zeppelin do not appear but they are mentioned. Kim Fowley says Rodney was getting more girls than Robert Plant!

:lol:

Don't speak of The Pretty Things; that's sure to take us well into the Off Topic Zone.

Edit: If your referring to Rodney's English Disco it closed years ago. It's a Kung Fu school now and it's featured in the film...then and now.

Edited by SteveAJones

This may have been asked and answered elsewhere but am not sure.

I recall reading an interview with Page and he said something to the effect that Plant was being considered to be replaced by another singer well after the first record and subsequent tours had happened, but kept his job by writing 'Thank You.' Can that be confirmed?

This is a post I submitted last month which had varying replies. I have found one source but not the one I remember about Page commenting on Robert Plant's future with Zeppelin. I will keep looking for that one.

The one I did find instead was of an interview with Danny Goldberg by Steven Rosen. This was in Guitar World, July 1986,Special Jimmy Page Edition, Vol.7, No.4 entitled Danny Goldberg's Hideaway

From p.47

Though Goldberg only worked with the band from 1973 to 1976, he did hear that in the beginning years, Plant was "happy to have the job" as vocalist in Zeppelin. He was not the first choice (Tery Reid almost landed the spot) and after the first tour there was serious talk over whether Robert should continue.

"So Robert had the odyssey of being the new kid, barely able to get and keep the job, through ultimately becoming the most successful solo member in the group."

Now like before, I'm just repeating this from an interview source and have no reason to believe it is true or not, just another tidbit if true, to add to the collective mindset regarding Zeppelins success

This is a post I submitted last month which had varying replies. I have found one source but not the one I remember about Page commenting on Robert Plant's future with Zeppelin. I will keep looking for that one.

The one I did find instead was of an interview with Danny Goldberg by Steven Rosen. This was in Guitar World, July 1986,Special Jimmy Page Edition, Vol.7, No.4 entitled Danny Goldberg's Hideaway

From p.47

Though Goldberg only worked with the band from 1973 to 1976, he did hear that in the beginning years, Plant was "happy to have the job" as vocalist in Zeppelin. He was not the first choice (Tery Reid almost landed the spot) and after the first tour there was serious talk over whether Robert should continue.

"So Robert had the odyssey of being the new kid, barely able to get and keep the job, through ultimately becoming the most successful solo member in the group."

Now like before, I'm just repeating this from an interview source and have no reason to believe it is true or not, just another tidbit if true, to add to the collective mindset regarding Zeppelins success

It is true Jimmy was well aware of Terry Reid and undoubtedly keen to arrange an audition, but I don't think Reid was interested. For starters, it was Reid himself who

phoned Jimmy recommending Robert after seeing Plant perform in Buxton with his

Band of Joy.

Weeks later, a penniless Plant, having sung a few gigs with Alexis Korner, now singing with Obstweedle and in town trying to collect money from his manager, encountered Reid on Oxford Street in London and accompanied him to Cambridge. It was during this time Reid informed Robert personally of the opportunity to work with Page.

In my opinon, the contents of page 47 as related by Goldberg are mere hearsay and hyperbole. Robert and John Bonham were both brought in on salary. If the first tour

is defined as Scandanavia, they were already in the studio recording the first album

within two weeks of returning, debunking this claim of "serious talk". The first tour

of America was a resounding success. Furthermore, Jimmy had to realize cutting the singer may well cost him the drummer as well.

I believe the affinity established between Jimmy and Robert in Pangbourne (August 1968) and the alchemical dynamics evident at 39 Gerrard Street in London (band rehearsal on August 12th 1968) ensured the collective leap of faith was going to be respected and upheld well past the contracturally-obligated Scandanavian tour in September '68.

I do appreciate you have identified at least one source for your original inquiry. Again,

I believe Goldberg's views and what he may or may not claim to have heard don't necessarily reflect Jimmy's views of Robert's status. Jimmy has said no one in the band

could be assured future success in the early days. He had the vision but it was a leap

of faith for all parties concerned.