Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

6 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.

:thumbsup:  

Great to see confirmation it's authentic!

According to the April 1975 issue of Buddy magazine, Bonham remained behind at the Registry Hotel in Dallas each time the band was flown back to New Orleans from Dallas, which would indeed place this sometime between Feb 20-Mar 2 '75.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

What is the story behind Bonzo's Montreux in September 1976? Was Bonzo was there alone, and Jimmy later added his electronic treatments from his home studio for Coda, or was jimmy in Montreux with Bonzo? I wonder what inspired Bonzo to record this? Know all were tax exiles in 1976, think the Bonhams were in the South of France, so wondered why Bonzo made the trip to Switzerland, and the general story of recording this drum solo.

8 hours ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Steve,

What is the story behind Bonzo's Montreux in September 1976? Was Bonzo was there alone, and Jimmy later added his electronic treatments from his home studio for Coda, or was jimmy in Montreux with Bonzo? I wonder what inspired Bonzo to record this? Know all were tax exiles in 1976, think the Bonhams were in the South of France, so wondered why Bonzo made the trip to Switzerland, and the general story of recording this drum solo.

Jimmy Page was with him in Montreux, I read an interview quite recently with him where he discussed the trip briefly, it might've been in MOJO magazine.

Here it is...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/led-zeppelins-jimmy-page-john-bonhams-death-was-a-massive-loss-to-everybody/

Said Page: "[John] and I were really good pals. We were really, really close in our musical collaboration, if you want… the camaraderie. And just the sheer fact that, you know… 'Bonzo's Montreux' [the drum solo by John Bonham, which is the seventh track on the band's final studio album, 'Coda'] says it all, really. It was just the two of us working on it over there in the studio."

13 hours ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Steve,

Mook's posts provide the essential truth.

Aside from that, the South of France is not that far from Montreux so they could have easily agreed to meet up before returning to England.

• 2 weeks later...

Is someone hoarding a video of P/P playing in India?

Got this from a transcript between mega fans in Japan having a discussion (don't ask)

"Hidden image, problem ant" (Book) "Is India a video circle?" (Y) " 10 seconds! Eric has it" (E) "That's on air on CNN, only 10 seconds.     Jimmy is hardly seen, only Robert can see. Do you want it? " (Book) "I want it but 10 seconds or so (laugh)" (E) "After all, if it is called rare video , it is ○ ○ ○ ○ It is 73 years old? (Y) "It's 72 years, that's what you are doing an acoustic set" (E) "It's only about one minute, but it's sooooo good (laugh)" (Y) "Yes, I can not see anything !" (E) "I'm told to the owner" Do not trade ".     Wow, I do not want anyone to give out (laugh) (Book) "Do you understand it as ZEPP? With such picture quality" (Y) "I understand you have an acoustic guitar" (E) "I understand that there are four people (laugh), but I do not know who it is" (Book) " Brothers Four It is not supposed to be (laugh)" (Y) "There are 8 mm of ZEPP's 71-year visit to Japan, taken by a friend of Mr. Intermediate" (Middle) "Oh, that (laugh) Something, just a golden thing is just staggering " (All) "(Laughing)" (Book) "Is that the head of Robert?" (E) "Yeah, it's swanking (laugh)"

SAJ in Japanese if you want

『秘蔵映像、問題アリ』

(本)「そのインドって、Videoは出回っているんですか?」
(Y)「エリックが持ってます」
(E)「そ、CNNでオンエアしたの、10秒だけ。
    Jimmyはほとんど写ってなくて、見えるのはRobertだけ。欲しい?」
(本)「欲しい! けど、10秒か~(笑)」
(E)「あと、と言えば○○○○だネ。あれ、73年のかな?」
(Y)「72年だよ、あれ。アコースティックセットをやってるもの」
(E)「これ、1分くらいしかないんだけど、すっごくキタナ~い(笑)」
(Y)「そう、の!」
(E)「持ち主に『トレードに出さないで』って言われてるんだけど。
    いやー、出しても誰も欲しがらないって(笑)」
(本)「ZEPPだと分かるの?そんな画質で」
(Y)「アコースティック・ギターを持ってるのは分かるんですよ」
(E)「一応、4人いるのも分かる(笑)でも、誰が誰だか分からな~い」
(本)「かも知れないじゃない(笑)」
(Y)「中間さんの友達が撮った、ZEPPの71年来日公演の8ミリがあるんですって?」
(中)「あー、あれね(笑)なんか、だけっていう」
(全)「(爆笑)」
(本)「それってRobertの頭?」
(E)「そう、ピンボケまくりなの(笑)」

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this video on Reddit. The last 25 seconds feature Richard Cole and a concert promoter discussing payment for the show. The promoter opens what appears to be a briefcase full of cash, but then Cole shuts it, not wanting it to be shown on camera. My question is...why was this filmed in the first place? Why throw in this random bit when the rest of the video shows the band arriving at the gig and a brief performance from the gig? Why would the concert promoter demand the money transaction be filmed? It just seems rather odd.

15 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I came across this video on Reddit. The last 25 seconds feature Richard Cole and a concert promoter discussing payment for the show. The promoter opens what appears to be a briefcase full of cash, but then Cole shuts it, not wanting it to be shown on camera. My question is...why was this filmed in the first place? Why throw in this random bit when the rest of the video shows the band arriving at the gig and a brief performance from the gig? Why would the concert promoter demand the money transaction be filmed? It just seems rather odd.

Seems like it was for a piece of Dutch media probably news of them playing there. Very surprised they allowed this to be filmed. Must of been a contractual agreement as Cole doesn't seem keen to be on camera. Odd this and I've never come across the footage before, apart from the stage footage of course.

The Amsterdam footage can be seen without the sub titles on disc two of the Cosmic Energy dvd "Assemblage" from 2006.  One has to wonder what other lost footage is out there waiting to be discovered.

Robert

Hi Steve. Apologies if this had been asked before but what happened to Jimmy Page's handprints that were outside the Virgin Megastore in London?  Are they still there or were they sold on after the Megastore closed?

On 5/8/2017 at 5:20 AM, Jespin said:

Hi Steve. Apologies if this had been asked before but what happened to Jimmy Page's handprints that were outside the Virgin Megastore in London?  Are they still there or were they sold on after the Megastore closed?

Hello. Great question. I'll try to find out where they are now. Highly unlikely they are still there.

2 hours ago, JeffLZ said:

What was the real reason Robert split with Phil Johnstone?

There is probably more than one reason, but the most obvious (and diplomatic) is the Page/Plant collaboration beginning in Spring 1994. 

I have a Trivia Question I'd like to get an answer to. I know that Zep's first US Concert date was Dec. 26, 1968 in Denver. What date did they arrive in the US? Did they fly into NYC first? Then onto Denver by plane. Commercial or private??

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

I have a Trivia Question I'd like to get an answer to. I know that Zep's first US Concert date was Dec. 26, 1968 in Denver. What date did they arrive in the US? Did they fly into NYC first? Then onto Denver by plane. Commercial or private??

Per the official timeline: "Robert Plant, John Bonham and Jimmy Page travel to Los Angeles on December 23rd, while John Paul Jones meets up with them at the Denver show. Peter Grant would join them in San Francisco a couple of weeks later at the Fillmore West."

I have some additional details at home, to include JPJ's whereabouts on Christmas 1968, which I will post later. 

^^^...At home with my notes now...

I show they all departed Heathrow on a commercial flight Sunday, December 22, 1968.

When they landed at Newark International Airport JPJ and his wife Mo left the entourage to enjoy a few days off and the Christmas holiday with singer Madeline Bell's parents. (He rejoined them in Denver on December 26th).

Page, Plant, and Bonham continued on to Los Angeles, arriving December 23rd 1968. 

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Peter Grant would join them in San Francisco a couple of weeks later at the Fillmore West.

Ive always been under the impression PG never made it to the States for this tour. . Was this tour completely mapped out with them opening for various acts or was it a little more flying by the seat of our pants after the first couple weeks with the Fudge? They didnt open up for VF on the East Coast did they?

Edited by Bozoso73

2 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Ive always been under the impression PG never made it to the States for this tour. . Was this tour completely mapped out with them opening for various acts or was it a little more flying by the seat of our pants after the first couple weeks with the Fudge? They didnt open up for VF on the East Coast did they?

Peter joined them in San Francisco on January 9th and was at all the remaining shows on this tour from that point onward.

1/15/69 Iowa City/University of Iowa - Iowa Memorial Union (Main Lounge) was an added date booked to replace a cancelled Count Basie concert.

1/20/69 Wheaton/Wheaton Youth Center is allegedly an unadvertised date played for $250, possibly as a favor from Grant to the local promoter.

2/3-6/69 Manhattan/Steve Paul's Scene were cancelled so Bonzo could return to UK to attend to Jason who received stitches to his head.

They did not open for Vanilla Fudge on the East Coast, but were billed with them again in Chicago for two dates on 2/7-8/69. 

21 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

^^^...At home with my notes now...

I show they all departed Heathrow on a commercial flight Sunday, December 22, 1968.

When they landed at Newark International Airport JPJ and his wife Mo left the entourage to enjoy a few days off and the Christmas holiday with singer Madeline Bell's parents. (He rejoined them in Denver on December 26th).

Page, Plant, and Bonham continued on to Los Angeles, arriving December 23rd 1968. 

I'm actually very interested in how the Zeppelin machine moved about from gig to gig, the band, and the roadies. I think a book detailing the behind the scenes movements, of the band, and the road crew would sell a few copies. I'd certainly love reading about stuff like that ! The band has such mythology about it, that such details would help me to imagine being their on tour with them. And that's the kind of fantasies I like to imagine. I'll leave the mud sharks to them...

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, The Rover said:

I'm actually very interested in how the Zeppelin machine moved about from gig to gig, the band, and the roadies. I think a book detailing the behind the scenes movements, of the band, and the road crew would sell a few copies. I'd certainly love reading about stuff like that ! The band has such mythology about it, that such details would help me to imagine being their on tour with them. And that's the kind of fantasies I like to imagine. I'll leave the mud sharks to them...

Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole essentially serves this purpose. If you want to get into the minutiae of specific dates then forums and threads such as this are the best bet. 

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole essentially serves this purpose. If you want to get into the minutiae of specific dates then forums and threads such as this are the best bet. 

Yes, I want the minutiae, but just for Led Zeppelin. I could care less about any other band's movements on the road. I read Mr. Cole's book, but I guess I just didn't get enough info, particularly for their US tours. But it's been awhile, so maybe I need to take another look at it...

Steve, wikipedia has just had added a gig supposed played in 17/10/68 at Club Lafayette in Wolverhampton. This doesn't appear on the timeline on this site. 

Is there any info in your notes about this mythical gig? I don't remember seeing it in any of the obvious sources e.g. Dave Lewis' book of Zeppelin shows etc.