Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

IMG_20190101_210948766.thumb.jpg.8c1d9ff42efbf7d207e2cc51d71cd3ed.jpg

Any other photos of this session? Is this the only cliche "running through a field" shot there is of the group?

10 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Any other photos of this session? Is this the only cliche "running through a field" shot there is of the group?

No others photos come to mind.

I just watched virtual Zep and it made me wonder..... (qualifies as a SAJ Mystery????)

Did Peter/Jimmy ever get approached about film clips to their catalogue at any time? MTV and the music video thing was obviously after their time - BUT there are quite a number of really nice video's put together from way before 68/69. Communication Breakdown they did the promo clip for, TRB's had a clip put to it as well.

Apart from the odd promo clip (Kashmir using Earls Court footage - which I can't believe is a rarity! WLL I think) - none have been produced officially AFAIK, but was it ever discussed or considered?

When Jimmy did the re-release campaign should he have selected key tracks off each album and authorized some video? Bring Zep to TV's music channels??? He could have engaged top music video creators/producers - or whoever he wanted really. I don't see how anyone would turn down a gig like that and it could have added a dimension to tracks that take nothing else away from it if done right.

44 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I just watched virtual Zep and it made me wonder..... (qualifies as a SAJ Mystery????)

Did Peter/Jimmy ever get approached about film clips to their catalogue at any time? MTV and the music video thing was obviously after their time - BUT there are quite a number of really nice video's put together from way before 68/69. Communication Breakdown they did the promo clip for, TRB's had a clip put to it as well.

Apart from the odd promo clip (Kashmir using Earls Court footage - which I can't believe is a rarity! WLL I think) - none have been produced officially AFAIK, but was it ever discussed or considered?

When Jimmy did the re-release campaign should he have selected key tracks off each album and authorized some video? Bring Zep to TV's music channels??? He could have engaged top music video creators/producers - or whoever he wanted really. I don't see how anyone would turn down a gig like that and it could have added a dimension to tracks that take nothing else away from it if done right.

These sorts of things and more were scrapped together to produce official music videos for Traveling Riverside Blues (1990) and Whole Lotta Love (2007).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Now that is a holy grail lol

I don't think any of us have ever seen any of those have we?

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

These sorts of things and more were scrapped together to produce official music videos for Traveling Riverside Blues (1990) and Whole Lotta Love (2007).

Side q: Those shots of Jimmy at home in the Horus shirt we see during TRB, which I've always assumed is him making Ten Years Gone, who/where is that whole video

Lot of pics from this session too, why the whole "lets video you producing and take a load of pics"? Maybe it was going to be inserted into TSRTS?

Image result for jimmy page horus shirtec442948aa1cbb3efc1fa0e49cfc9408.thumb.jpg.591a5be605d8154841baa5cfc09e8f09.jpg

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

That's from the Teen-Clubs Copenhagen newsletter/programme, March 1969.  http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/march-15-1969
The photo was taken in Sept. '68.  We do have a print of it in the band's archive, but no others from this exact session that I recall.

There's also a few from this session, which is from generally the same time:

1968-lz_uk12s.jpg

5 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Side q: Those shots of Jimmy at home in the Horus shirt we see during TRB, which I've always assumed is him making Ten Years Gone, who/where is that whole video

Lot of pics from this session too, why the whole "lets video you producing and take a load of pics"? Maybe it was going to be inserted into TSRTS?

Yes, those are Jimmy in his home studio which was located in the upper level of Plumpton Place. It's the same shirt he's wearing in TSRTS so the footage was almost certainly filmed that same evening for possible inclusion in the film.

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Cheers. What about any time anyone discussed with them the possibilities of doing film clips to their music either during their reign or afterwards? Or if Page/Grant themselves ever discussed or considered it?

I don't recall seeing anyone ever (in interviews) bring this up. Surely it must have been broached at some point. Maybe early on and immediately ruled out??

19 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

That's from the Teen-Clubs Copenhagen newsletter/programme, March 1969.  http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/march-15-1969
The photo was taken in Sept. '68.  We do have a print of it in the band's archive, but no others from this exact session that I recall.

There's also a few from this session, which is from generally the same time:

1968-lz_uk12s.jpg

Bloody hell!

Are these newly found or something?!

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Cheers. What about any time anyone discussed with them the possibilities of doing film clips to their music either during their reign or afterwards? Or if Page/Grant themselves ever discussed or considered it?

I don't recall seeing anyone ever (in interviews) bring this up. Surely it must have been broached at some point. Maybe early on and immediately ruled out??

Highly doubt it, they didn't even want to video the 12 years barely

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Yes, those are Jimmy in his home studio which was located in the upper level of Plumpton Place. It's the same shirt he's wearing in TSRTS so the footage was almost certainly filmed that same evening for possible inclusion in the film.

So out there is a huge reel of Page @ Plumpton messing around...

Holy grail.

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

They did do some promo videos for the German and Japanese markets, but generally speaking they (Page & Grant) didn't have much confidence that television was a suitable medium for promoting the group. They preferred to build the band's reputation on mystique and word of mouth. Were it not for Plant's accident in 1975 there likely never would have been a film release either, at least in the 1970s.

41 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

So out there is a huge reel of Page @ Plumpton messing around...

There was also additional footage of Peter Grant at home I'd enjoy seeing one day if it still exists.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

They did do some promo videos for the German and Japanese markets, but generally speaking they (Page & Grant) didn't have much confidence that television was a suitable medium for promoting the group. They preferred to build the band's reputation on mystique and word of mouth. Were it not for Plant's accident in 1975 there likely never would have been a film release either, at least in the 1970s.

There was also additional footage of Peter Grant at home I'd enjoy seeing one day if it still exists.

Well and I assume Plant, Jones and Bonham's full video sessions

I wonder who has it all, Warner Bros, Massot hid it somewhere or Peter Clifton.

Considering that Page footage of him recording is on TRB I'm assuming Warner Brothers has the lot.

20 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Well and I assume Plant, Jones and Bonham's full video sessions

I wonder who has it all, Warner Bros, Massot hid it somewhere or Peter Clifton.

Considering that Page footage of him recording is on TRB I'm assuming Warner Brothers has the lot.

Warner Brothers did not finance the film, the band did. So the band would own any outtake footage, aside from whatever Joe Massot kept out of their possession. Grant did forcibly retrieve footage from him at one point, prior to bringing in Peter Clifton to complete the project.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Warner Brothers did not finance the film, the band did. So the band would own any outtake footage, aside from whatever Joe Massot kept out of their possession. Grant did forcibly retrieve footage from him at one point, prior to bringing in Peter Clifton to complete the project.

Not saying Warner Bro's did finance it. I'm saying that they own the footage and I'm assuming have that Page footage if it was on the TRB video.

2 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Not saying Warner Bro's did finance it. I'm saying that they own the footage and I'm assuming have that Page footage if it was on the TRB video.

I'm saying it's outtake footage they didn't "own", at least not until it was provided for use in TRB by Page. Ordinarily, they wouldn't own any of the outtake footage not used in the film or a promo video because they didn't finance it.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm saying it's outtake footage they didn't "own", at least not until it was provided for use in TRB by Page. Ordinarily, they wouldn't own any of the outtake footage not used in the film or a promo video because they didn't finance it.

Ah so you think Page lent it to them for TRB?

4 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Ah so you think Page lent it to them for TRB?

I'm suggesting he provided source material (outtakes) to them with the understanding their production department would incorporate it into a promotional music video for TRB, after which they would hold the copyright to the content of the video. The label doesn't retain any rights to any outtake footage not featured in the film or video(s).

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm suggesting he provided source material (outtakes) to them with the understanding their production department would incorporate it into a promotional music video for TRB, after which they would hold the copyright to the content of the video. The label doesn't retain any rights to any outtake footage not featured in the film or video(s).

We're in agreement here SAJ

So where's the rest?! Rewatching that it seems like there's bloody hours from Plumpton, Starship, Driving, Baltimore.

Bloody loads hanging about somewhere

WHERE

9 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

We're in agreement here SAJ

So where's the rest?! Rewatching that it seems like there's bloody hours from Plumpton, Starship, Driving, Baltimore.

Bloody loads hanging about somewhere

WHERE

In Jimmy's possession, aside from anything withheld by Massot and/or Clifton. I don't know about "hours" but there is a fair amount that wasn't used. However, the Plumpton Place footage was most likely shot in one day. I have a photo of Clifton and Melody Maker photographer Pennie Smith conversing with Jimmy at Plumpton Place on the day of the shoot and he's wearing the same shirt as in this scene. Additionally, it's the same shirt he's wearing in the home studio outtakes, which appear to have been filmed later that evening. My point is it seems it was a one day shoot that yielded all of the Plumpton Place footage.

See the discussion below on this topic from nearly ten years ago for more:

...also this...

http://ledzepnews.com/2018/06/17/director-peter-clifton-who-worked-on-the-song-remains-the-same-has-reportedly-died/

thA93LKSFM.jpg