Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Jimmy Page & Royston Ellis (Late 1960-July 1961)

Jimmy_Page_1960wRoystonEllis.jpg

Photo courtesy of Royston Ellis

This from Royston Ellis:

"I did performances of rock and roll poetry - rocketry - with the future founding member of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page from Late 1960 to July 1961. Jimmy took over from The Shadows who became in demand after the success of their single “Apache”. Only three of these performances have been confirmed within those nine months:

• TV show with Jimmy, late 1960, on Southern Television (from Southampton, with Julian Pettifer)

• 4 March 1961, HERETICS society of Cambridge University

• Sunday 23 July 1961, the Mermaid Theatre, London"

“I gave Jimmy Page his first stage and TV shows when he backed me reading my poetry...”

“This was after my stage and TV appearances with The Shadows, because they became so in demand, I had to find other musicians…”

“I appeared on television with Jimmy on Southern Television from Southampton, with Julian Pettifer, in late 1960.”

(In fact, Jimmy Page already appeared on television with The J.G. Skiffle Group, performing two Skiffle numbers on Huw Wheldon's 'All Your Own' talent quest programme).

“We did other shows together, too, in the 1960s…there was one to the HERETICS society of Cambridge University on 4 March 1961 and another at the Mermaid Theatre, London, on Sunday 23 July 1961 which was just Jimmy and myself on stage as part of an evening of poets and actors (Ralph Richardson, Flora Robson, etc) reading works…”

“I used to appear with Jimmy alone (not with the group in which he played then, the Red Cats and managed by Chris Tidmarsh who later emerged as Neil Christian) although I think we may have recruited a bongo player for some dates…”

“Jimmy was sitting down in the background while I was lecturing.”

About that time, Jimmy Page was lead guitarist in a rock 'n' roll band called Red-E Lewis & The Red Caps and that was managed by Chris Tidmarsh who later emerged as singer “Neil Christian” fronting his Crusaders that also included Page on guitar. Tidmarsh was the guy who had shown Ellis how to use the Vick inhaler (see Royston Ellis & The Be"A"tles)…

“Yes, the Vick inhaler story has become part of drug legend. I was shown how to do that by a singer who later became Neil Christian and his guitarist, who used to accompany me in those days, Jimmy Page.”

The previous line up of the Red Caps left Red-E Lewis to team up with black singer Cuddy Duddley then emerged as the new version of Johnny Kidd’s Pirates from July 1961 to early 1962 and featuring lead guitarist Johnny Patto, bass player Johnny Spence and drummer Frank Farley.

By 1961, the “New Red Caps” were Jimmy Page on guitar (using the stage name of

“Nelson Storm” after the 18th century admiral), “Jumbo” Spicer on electric bass and Jim “Tornado” Evans on drums.

In addition to being the lead guitarist of the Red Caps, Page used to back Royston Ellis in a different way from his illustrious predessors, The Shadows and The Beatles. Page and Ellis were just accompanied on stage with a bongo player. This couple of musicians backed Ellis reading sequences of poems from his first book “Jiving To Gyp” and “Rave”, released in 1961.

“Jimmy composed his own music to back my poems - usually ones from JIVING TO GYP although I might have been performing the one with the line "Easy, easy, break me in easy" from RAVE. The Mermaid show was the peak - and possibly the final one - of our stage performances.”

After their final stage performance together, at the Mermaid Theatre, London, in July 1961, they finally parted company and Jimmy Page toured throughout Britain with the Red Caps who had fallen out with Red-E Lewis and then became The Crusaders backing Chris Tidmarsh aka “Neil Christian”. Page began his career of recording session musician with Neil Christian & The Crusaders, on their first singles, released in late 1962 and summer 1963, just after he left them because of his delicate health. Jimmy Page met up Royston Ellis once again in Guernesey in 1963…

“I remember that Jimmy visited me when I was in Guernsey in early 1963 and we did a TV interview on Channel TV….We are still in touch and have met several times during the past decades... we are still firm friends...”

Outstanding post!

To this day I am still amazed by the amount of antique shopping and "treasure hunting" Jimmy undertook in those days while on tour. I'd not heard of this particular one before.

It's been duly added to his chronology (with the caveat he could have been kidding!).

Add to the caveat the unlikelihood of Jimmy saying "'Ere, come and 'ave a look at this, mate" to anybody. Have YOU ever heard him talk like that?

Jimmy Page & Royston Ellis (Late 1960-July 1961)

Jimmy_Page_1960wRoystonEllis.jpg

Photo courtesy of Royston Ellis

Although it wasn't said specifically that the photo was part of any of the groups listed in that post, here is the full picture

JimmyPage.jpg

located at: http://www.the-presidents.org.uk/Photo%20Gallery.htm

(Interesting fact is that JP is playing what he has said to be his first guitar - a 1957 Selmer Grazioso)

and an email from Tony Busson, the bass player of The Presidents (the guy in the light sweater)

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 03:55

To: dazedjeffy

Subject: Re: Question about that Jimmy Page picture

Hello Jeff,

The photo you found on the website I think was around 1958? I was around 16/17 years old at the time and I think Jimmy was 16?

It is one of four pics from my private collection, in the days when we were all starting to form 'Groups' and copy the likes of Cliff and Elvis.

Tony.

-------

He said that he had licensed out the photo for use in the "It Might Get Loud" movie.

Edited by dazedjeffy

Lots of interesting stuff here, Steve. Thanks. I'd like to track down those TV appearances in 1960 and 1963.

I as well. It's a longshot, but perhaps we can narrow it down to the actual station(s) and start making inquiries with whomever maintains the tape vaults, if in fact they

still exist. It reminds me that Mick Jagger's father was a physical education instructor and there is a late 50s clip of he and Mick demonstrating athletic techniques. It has

been found, as I recall.

Although it wasn't said specifically that the photo was part of any of the groups listed in that post, here is the full picture

Thanks as always, Jeff. I didn't know where Royston got the photo from, but it seemed to me it wasn't taken while they were performing together given the presence of the

other stringed instrument.

Boleskine House

19970604003.jpg

Boleskine Burial Ground

19970604002.jpg

Photographed June 4, 1987

Photo Credits: Steve A. Jones

Thanks for posting these photos, Steve. It looks beautiful. I will be visiting Loch Ness this summer and I hope to get a peek at the environs.

Thanks for posting these photos, Steve. It looks beautiful. I will be visiting Loch Ness this summer and I hope to get a peek at the environs.

A visit to Loch Ness is sheer bliss! An abundance of tranquility to be found if you know where to look. Boleskine House itself is much more accessible nowadays, in fact it has been operating as a bed and breakfast of late. Also be sure to visit Foyers Falls and Urquart Castle.

Add to the caveat the unlikelihood of Jimmy saying "'Ere, come and 'ave a look at this, mate" to anybody. Have YOU ever heard him talk like that?

Well, yes, I have.

The dropped "h" and the word "mate' does not mean you are a cockney..it could apply to most of England.

I'm from Manchester and if someone was quoting me saying that phrase it would be printed exactly as it was when Jimmy said it. It's your assumption it was said in an over the top cockney accent.

A visit to Loch Ness is sheer bliss! An abundance of tranquility to be found if you know where to look. Boleskine House itself is much more accessible nowadays, in fact it has been operating as a bed and breakfast of late. Also be sure to visit Foyers Falls and Urquart Castle.

I will be visiting with a tour so I hope it won't be too frantic.

I as well. It's a longshot, but perhaps we can narrow it down to the actual station(s) and start making inquiries with whomever maintains the tape vaults, if in fact they

still exist. It reminds me that Mick Jagger's father was a physical education instructor and there is a late 50s clip of he and Mick demonstrating athletic techniques. It has

been found, as I recall.

That clip was on British TV several times, decades ago--must have been, because I was still living there.

The clip was filmed so long ago that Jagger was still known as Mike!

Edited by Aquamarine

I will be visiting with a tour so I hope it won't be too frantic.

Have done so as well and enjoyed it but not as much as venturing out on my own.

I must say the driver on the group trip I was on told the most outlandish stories about Crowley as well as Jimmy during the brief Boleskine House stop. For example,

he said Crowley had an underground passage to the burial grounds and would steal bodies. He also said Jimmy was having some work done on the property and a pile of bones was unearthed. When Jimmy contacted the local authorities as to what

he should do they allegedly sent back a two word reply: "bury them".

On another occasion I hired a cab to take me to Boleskine, and I was very amused

that the female driver would neither stop nor stay anywhere near "that evil house".

She said she was a local and knew of which she spoke. Anyway, I was not amused

to trek the remainder of the way on foot but tipped her quite well nonetheless.

Well, yes, I have.

The dropped "h" and the word "mate' does not mean you are a cockney..it could apply to most of England.

I'm from Manchester and if someone was quoting me saying that phrase it would be printed exactly as it was when Jimmy said it. It's your assumption it was said in an over the top cockney accent.

Nice to see you again, too. Jeez. :huh:

(You're making quite a few assumptions about my post yourself, btw.)

Edited by Aquamarine

JimmyPage.jpg

(Interesting fact is that JP is playing what he has said to be his first guitar - a 1957 Selmer Grazioso)

and an email from Tony Busson, the bass player of The Presidents (the guy in the light sweater)

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 03:55

To: dazedjeffy

Subject: Re: Question about that Jimmy Page picture

Hello Jeff,

The photo you found on the website I think was around 1958? I was around 16/17 years old at the time and I think Jimmy was 16?

It is one of four pics from my private collection, in the days when we were all starting to form 'Groups' and copy the likes of Cliff and Elvis.

Tony.

-------

He said that he had licensed out the photo for use in the "It Might Get Loud" movie.

It might be my sense of humour but they remind me of the Thunderbirds!

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/local/...erry_Lee_Lewis/

A MUSICIAN who played with legends such as Jerry Lee Lewis and Robert Plant died after a short illness.

Johnny Caldicott, who lived in Tenbury Wells, died in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, and his death was described as an enormous loss to his family.

He was known as John or Johnny to his family but it was Johnny C in the music industry.

In 1991, Johnny really came to the front, when he performed almost 100 shows with Mike Sanchez and The Hoola Boola Boys, even being joined on stage on occasions by Robert Plant.

------------

What date(s) were these?

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/local/...erry_Lee_Lewis/

In 1991, Johnny really came to the front, when he performed almost 100 shows with Mike Sanchez and The Hoola Boola Boys, even being joined on stage on occasions by Robert Plant.

------------

What date(s) were these?

Jeff, sorry to hear of the death of Johnny Caldicott. Unfortunately, I have nothing on file concerning jams he may have had with Robert Plant. However, the search is on.

O.k Steve, I got one for ya. My father and I were having our usual discussions about Zeppelin when he mentioned that Jimmy, JPJ, and Bonzo were included in the recording of The Hurdy Gurdy Man. Now don't let me come off as a Donovan fan because the only song I would be able to recognize is Mellow Yellow. But my question is, could this be the first instance of the boys working together, and later forming Zep. Seeing as Jimmy was still in The Yardbirds and even trying to keep the band alive at that time.

O.k Steve, I got one for ya. My father and I were having our usual discussions about Zeppelin when he mentioned that Jimmy, JPJ, and Bonzo were included in the recording of The Hurdy Gurdy Man. Now don't let me come off as a Donovan fan because the only song I would be able to recognize is Mellow Yellow. But my question is, could this be the first instance of the boys working together, and later forming Zep. Seeing as Jimmy was still in The Yardbirds and even trying to keep the band alive at that time.

I remember this was discussed somewhere on the forum before, and the conclusion was most probably Bonzo couldn't have been included. Jimmy didn't know him til later through Robert Plant.

John Paul Jones and Clem Cattini have both stated that Jimmy Page and John Bonham did NOT play on "Hurdy Gurdy Man". However, even if they're both wrong, consider this:

"Hurdy Gurdy Man" was released on May 3, 1968. The Yardbirds hadn't even broken up yet. John Bonham was still 3 months away from meeting Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones.

It is virtually impossible for John Bonham to have played on that session.

John Paul Jones and Clem Cattini have both stated that Jimmy Page and John Bonham did NOT play on "Hurdy Gurdy Man". However, even if they're both wrong, consider this:

"Hurdy Gurdy Man" was released on May 3, 1968. The Yardbirds hadn't even broken up yet. John Bonham was still 3 months away from meeting Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones.

It is virtually impossible for John Bonham to have played on that session.

Scott is absolutely correct, and neither Donovan nor Jimmy have ever suggested Bonzo was on this session either. The first session featuring Jimmy, JPJ w/Bonzo (and Robert) was for PJ Proby's 'Three Week Hero' album.