Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

John Paul Jones Acoustic 360 Bass Amp

Imagine a bass amp so special that people just want to touch it, inhale the dust, and have their picture taken next to it. Any Acoustic 360 from the 1960's is a rare find, but this one's iconic. John Paul Jones used this amp and cabinet on stage with Led Zeppelin as early as the Bath Festival on June 28, 1969, continuing until 1976. You can see the stack in the Led Zeppelin 1976 concert movie "The Song Remains The Same," chronicling the band's 1973 Houses of the Holy tour.

Acoustic Amplification snagged this beauty at a recent (July 2008) Christie's auction. We were fortunate to be there to capture the uncrating on video.

Sammy Moir

Guitar Center, Los Angeles

The Christies Auction Advert:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_det...bjectID=5101185

The Purchase Press Release:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressReleas...2008+MW20080711

This film clip documents the unpacking of the crate:

Edited by SteveAJones

Imagine a bass amp so special that people just want to touch it, inhale the dust, and have their picture taken next to it. Any Acoustic 360 from the 1960's is a rare find, but this one's iconic. John Paul Jones used this amp and cabinet on stage with Led Zeppelin as early as the Bath Festival on June 28, 1969, continuing until 1976. You can see the stack in the Led Zeppelin 1976 concert movie "The Song Remains The Same," chronicling the band's 1973 Houses of the Holy tour.

Acoustic Amplification snagged this beauty at a recent (July 2008) Christie's auction. We were fortunate to be there to capture the uncrating on video.

Sammy Moir

Wonderful, thanks Steve :)

John Paul Jones / Foo Fighters

The 50th Annual Grammy Awards Rehearsal

February 7, 2008 Los Angeles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJrl8I8vnHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RXAlQWHfCc...feature=related

The 50th Annual Grammy Awards Soundcheck

February 8, 2008 Staples Center Los Angeles:

News Report and Interview:

The 50th Annual Grammy Awards Performance

February 10, 2008 Staples Center Los Angeles:

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve,

while browsing this thread I've found that Led Zeppelin attended Abbey Road Studios twice or more to record their first album. More likely these sessions were attributed to Olympic Sound Studios. Can you pu a little light on it and tell, which place is correct? Did they only overdubbed material in Olympic and recorded all the stuff in Abbey Road or they did use both studios at the same time?

Also, can we have detailed dates related to other sessions? In Dave Lewis' book "The Concert File" (2nd ed ad 2005) only some of sessions are attributed to exact dates.

Thanks in advance,

AA

Edited by Argenteum Astrum

Steve,

while browsing this thread I've found that Led Zeppelin attended Abbey Road Studios twice or more to record their first album. More likely these sessions were attributed to Olympic Sound Studios. Can you put a little light on it and tell, which place is correct? Did they only overdubbed material in Olympic and recorded all the stuff in Abbey Road or they did use both studios at the same time? Also, can we have detailed dates related to other sessions? In Dave Lewis' book "The Concert File" (2nd ed ad 2005) only some of sessions are attributed to exact dates.

Thanks in advance,

AA

AA,

Most of the finer details of the Led Zeppelin sessions remain undocumented. There is

no book for them similar to Mark Lewisohn's Complete Beatles Recording Sessions.

Even so, I can shed some light here with a loose overview:

August 1968 Landsdowne Studios

Jones books the other three Led Zeppelin members in on his PJ Proby session as it was a good way to earn money

Fri 9/27/68 Abbey Road Studios

Page/Plant/Bonham/Jones lineup conducts its first album recording session...they record 'Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You' and 'You Shook Me'.

Thu, 10/10/68 Abbey Road Studios

Page/Plant/Bonham/Jones lineup conducts its second album recording session…two takes of 'Tribute To Bert Burns'

October 1968 Olympic Studios

'Led Zeppelin' album is recorded here after a total of 30 hours in this studio

Wed, 3/19/69 BBC Maida Vale Studio

Recording session between 5:30pm and 9pm. 'I Can't Quit You', 'You Shook Me' and 'Sunshine Woman'

Fri, 3/21/69 BBC Lime Grove Studios - Studio G

Short-notice repalcements for The Flying Burrito Brothers; 5:45pm recording session of 'Communication Breakdown' for How Late It Is' telecast at 10:50pm

4/29-30 & 5/1/69 Mirror Sound and/or Gold Star Los Angeles

Studio sessions for second album; a total of six tracks are recorded by the end of their stint in Los Angeles

Sat, 5/10/69 "a hut" (according to Jimmy) Vancouver

Studio session for second album to record harmonica tracks…Page commented in 1977 that he recalled they went there to record vocal overdubs

Mon, 5/19/69 New York

A&R Studios (or) Juggy Sound Studios (or) Mayfair Studios (or) Groove Sound (an eight-track r&b studio)

Studio session for second album

5/20-22/69 A&R Studios (or) Juggy Sound Studios (or) Mayfair Studios

Studio session for second album

5/26/69 A&R Studios (or) Juggy Sound Studios (or) Mayfair Studios

Short-notice studio session for second album in order to catch the fall market

Aug 69 Los Angeles

Page, Bonham & Jones (?) spend a few days in studio with Lord Sutch

8/12/69 A&R Studios New York

Page and Eddie Kramer complete the mixing of 'Bring It On Home' and playback 'Living Loving Maid', 'Heartbreaker' and 'What Is And What Should Never Be'

??? 69 England

Page records "about four takes one afternoon" (according to Harper) of his solo for 'Same Old Rock' on 'Stormcock'…credited as S. Flavious Mercurius

November 1969 Olympic Studios

Tentative recording sessions for third album…'Jennings Farm Blues'

Wed, 5/6/70 Olympic Studios

'Poor Tom' is recorded…it is not mixed until chosen for inclusion on 'CODA'

July-Aug 70 Island Studios - Studio One London

Final recording sessions for 'Led Zeppelin III' begin in July, completed in August

8/18 (or 19) /70 Ardent Studios Memphis, TN

Page completes additional mixing of 'Led Zeppelin III' with engineer Terry Manning

12/70 Island Studios

Led Zeppelin return to this studio to begin work on their fourth album…but fail to achieve results...Page visits upstairs studio as Jethro Tull guitarist Martin Barre performs the second take of 'Aqualung'

Jan/Feb 71 Headley Grange

Recording sessions for the fourth album

4/2/71 Paris Cinema London

Page and Plant return to supervise the editing of last night's BBC Radio 'In Concert' performance into the one-hour format

Tue, 5/11/71 Kensington House - BBC Transcription Studios Shepherds Bush

Page oversees the mono two-track to stereo mixing of their April 1st 'In Concert' performance

3/72 EMI Studios Bombay, India

Page and Plant record 'Four Sticks' and 'Friends' with Bombay Symphony Orchestra

??? 72

Page studio session for Brian Auger's album 'Second Wind' (Polydor 2383 104); guitarist on two tracks

Apr (?) 1972 Olympic Studios

Page is interviewed while in the studio by Ritchie Yorke of Toronto, Canada's 'Rainbow' magazine…he has shaven off his beard and is battling laryngitis…he commutes to and from the studio from his boathouse in Pangbourne...Robert has become a father

May 72 Olympic Studios

Studio sessions for 'Houses Of The Holy'

June 72

Mixing of the material recorded in May at Olympic Studio and 'Houses of the Holy' is recorded

Nov 73 Headley Grange

Recording sessions for the sixth album begin but are cut short on account of Jones becoming ill

2/74 Headley Grange

Recording sessions for the sixth album resume…Plant and Bonham opt to stay in a luxury hotel instead

Spring 74 Stargroves Newbury, Berkshire, England

Studio recording sessions continue with engineer Eddie Kramer and his studio hand Ron Nevison

??? 74 Startling Studios Ascot, Berkshire, England

Page performs solos on 'If You Don't Know' and 'Comin' On Strong' for Maggie Bell's upcoming 'Suicide Sal'

Aug 74 Shepperton Studios Shepperton, Middlesex, England

One week of onstage reenactments with director Peter Clifton for The Song Remains The Same'

10/15/74 Olympic Studios

Page, Keith Richards, Rich Grech and drummer Rich Rowland record one track 'Scarlet', during an all-night session (Page provides solos at 8am)

11/74

Final mixing of 'Physical Graffiti'

8/75 London

Page resumes work on the film 'The Song Remains The Same'

9/75 Studio Instrument Rentals (SIR) Studios Hollywood, CA

Page and Plant are joined by Bonham and Jones for three weeks of on and off rehearsal

sessions for the new album...studio sessions at this location continue through the 1975 World Series (Boston vs. Cincinnati)

11/9-26/75 Arabella Hotel - Musicland Studios Munich, Germany

Led Zeppelin studio sessions for their 'Presence' album are completed the day before Thanksgiving

12/75 Electric Ladyland New York

Page flies to New York City during the Christmas holidays to direct the editing of 'The Song Remains The Same' film and soundtrack

1/76 Electric Ladyland New York

Page produces mixes of the soundtrack for 'The Song Remains The Same'

8/76 Trident Sound Studios Soho, London

Page completes the mixing of 'The Soundtrack for the Film - The Song Remains The Same'

9/12/76 Mountain Studios Montreux, Switzerland

Page produces 'Bonzo's Montreux' and also plays A.R.P. synthesiser and guitar on the track

11/6/78

Flight departure to Stockholm for a series of Monday through Friday sessions

11/14/78 Polar Studios Stockholm, Sweden

'Ozone Baby' is recorded

11/21/78 Polar Studios Stockholm, Sweden

'Wearing And Tearing' is recorded...sessions would result in their album 'In Through The Out Door' / 10 tracks mixed and ready for release by January

2/79 Polar Studios Stockholm, Sweden

Mixing sessions for the new album

Just one more question: do you know anything that can be related with session where a couple of instrumental tunes were recorded and commonly attributed as played by Page and Winwood?

Jimmy Page (about 1968)

In a 1982 interview published in Timothy White's book Rock Lives (1990), Steve Winwood said he "played with Jimmy Page for a solo album of his after he'd left the Yardbirds", then adds that "the music wasn't heavy like Led Zeppelin ... it was quite nice" (!).

A Led Zeppelin bootleg CD called Olympic Gold credits Steve as organist on two tracks, "Instrumental #1" (2:50) and "Instrumental #2" (5:05). The tracks are two takes of the same jam theme, recorded at Olympic studios (London) in September and October of 1968. Some say the organist on these tracks doesn't sound like Winwood though.

A Page / Winwood tape in circulation consists of eight takes working out a song on guitar and organ. Some people have described this as part of the "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" sessions, and some people attribute the organ part to John Paul Jones

rather than Steve. (Thanks to Neil from SP 26-03, 3/96.)

It's interesting to note that in 1966, Page recorded several tracks with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood and others as The Powerhouse. Winwood and Page both contributed

to Joe Cocker's 'With A Little Help From My Friends' album released in 1969. Is it at all possible one of these is the actual session Winwood recalled in 1990, 20+ years after the fact? In any event, so far as I know the answer to your question remains an unsolved mystery.

So they recorded 1st album at Abbey Road and rehearsed with other musicians at Olympic? There's a little mess with these dates. Every boots attributed entire sessions from the 1st album to Olympic but you listed them as Abbey Road.

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, they recorded as indicated above at Abbey Road first and then Olympic. Jimmy knows it was 30 hours at Olympic because he paid the studio bill. Could be nothing recorded at Abbey Road actually made it onto the first album...today those recordings exist as outtakes.

Do you know from which studio all these outtakes came? We have a sessions, where Babe I'm Gonna leave You, You Shook Me and Tribute to Bert Berns survived as almost finished tracks. First 2 songs can be attributed to Sept 27th session, Tribute to Bert Berns to Oct 10. I wish to know exact studio for these if possible.

I think those Abbey Road sessions in Sept '68 should read Olympic, then again I don't remember. My notes show Abbey Road according to Greg Russo's 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave-Up!' (3rd edition). Jimmy did do a lot of recording there with The

Yardbirds but I think Greg could be mistaken concerning these Led Zeppelin sessions.

Baby Come On Home

"Baby Come On Home" is a song by English rock band Led Zeppelin. It was recorded during sessions for the band's debut album but remained unreleased until appearing on the 1993 compilation Boxed Set 2.

The track stems from an old master reel labeled 'Yardbirds. October 10, 1968' (Led Zeppelin were called the "New Yardbirds" during their first months of existence). The master tape went missing for a number of years and allegedly turned up in a refuse bin outside Olympic Studios in 1991.[1] It was mixed by Mike Fraser for a much belated release in 1993, with a single to promote the Boxed Set 2.

The song was originally recorded under the title "Tribute To Bert Berns", in honor of the American songwriter and producer who had died in December 1967.[1] It is loosely based on two slightly different songs Berns had written and produced for Hoagy Lands (1964) and Solomon Burke (1965),[citation needed] although the lyrics were completely re-written for Led Zeppelin's version.

On this track, guitarist Jimmy Page played a Leslie guitar and John Paul Jones played piano and a Hammond organ.[1]

"Baby Come On Home" was never performed live by Led Zeppelin or by any of its members.

Edited by SteveAJones

So it's very possible that the band recorded them at Abbey Road first and overdubbed/finished at Olympic and all outtakes are came from final mixing sessions if I am correct.

Only if Russo's book is correct, otherwise everything was recorded at Olympic. I am seeking to get this cleared up.

Sammy Moir

I used to have an Acoustic sub cabinet like the one in that un-boxing video for Jone's old rig. My cabinet had a Cerwin-Vega speaker instead of the stock one that came in the Acoustic.

Powered it with a Roland 200 watt rack mount power amp, what a refrigerator it was! But It was a great cabinet for getting all the sub frequencies that I needed for my Bass guitar and Midi-Step foot pedal's.

I sold it about a year or two later to a DJ after I finished college in 1997, sure he made good use of it!

That would have been a good thing for Jone's to autograph for my own little John Paul Jone's keep sake!

Sammy Moir

acoustic360-361PP_01.jpg

I think those Abbey Road sessions in Sept '68 should read Olympic, then again I don't remember. My notes show Abbey Road according to Greg Russo's 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave-Up!' (3rd edition).

I thought Russo's book claimed that "Baby Come On Home" was recorded at Olympic? And didn't JPJ once say that he used Olympic's house organ for that song?

Dave Lewis speculates that "Baby Come On Home" might be from late 1969, although it certainly sounds like 1968 to me. They'd already given up on the group harmony vocals by 1969!

Do you know from which studio all these outtakes came? We have a sessions, where Babe I'm Gonna leave You, You Shook Me and Tribute to Bert Berns survived as almost finished tracks. First 2 songs can be attributed to Sept 27th session, Tribute to Bert Berns to Oct 10. I wish to know exact studio for these if possible.

UPDATE:

The sessions for the first album began on September 27th, 1968 at Olympic Studio where according to studio records they recorded under the name The Yardbirds. The first two tracks are full band run through of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". "You Shook Me" is the very first take according to the voice of engineer Glyn Johns. It lasts for almost eight minutes and cuts out at the very end. There are three takes of "Tribute To Bert Burns", which surfaced in 1993 as "Baby Come On Home." This dates from the final day of recording. What follows is a half hour of guitar and organ exercises. It's

origin and purpose is a mystery and when they first surfaced it was claimed the organ player was Steve Winwood.

Bottom line: let's change the sessions from Abbey Road to Olympic.

UPDATE:

The sessions for the first album began on September 27th, 1968 at Olympic Studio where according to studio records they recorded under the name The Yardbirds. The first two tracks are full band run through of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". "You Shook Me" is the very first take according to the voice of engineer Glyn Johns. It lasts for almost eight minutes and cuts out at the very end. There are three takes of "Tribute To Bert Burns", which surfaced in 1993 as "Baby Come On Home." This dates from the final day of recording. What follows is a half hour of guitar and organ exercises. It's

origin and purpose is a mystery and when they first surfaced it was claimed the organ player was Steve Winwood.

Bottom line: let's change the sessions from Abbey Road to Olympic.

This line's up with what I've read and heard, the only exception is of the final day of the recording session's. I remember seeing an interview with Robert Plant saying that they where in the studio for about a month for the project so the start date of 9/27/68 and end date of 10/10/68 would be a bit unclear.

Unless, the end date is referring to the end of tracking before going on to any edit, overdub, processing and then finish mixing, the rest of that time frame being what Mr. Plant was talking about.

Jimmy Page Jam with Poison

University of Nevada - Lawlor Events Center

May 14, 1991

Previously in this thread we investigated a Coverdale/Page jam session with Poison back in 1991. Since there is no confirmed press coverage all I've had to go on was word of mouth that it was during the encore, that both Coverdale and Page jammed on 'Rock And Roll', 'The Rover', and 'Stairway To Heaven' and that Jimmy did indeed fall into a hole on the stage.

Now, singer Bret Michaels clarifies the events of that evening:

It was lead guitarist C.C. DeVille's birthday. Jimmy Page came onstage with me and I had always been a Zeppelin freak. The place went insane. I was unbelievably excited, getting to play Rock And Roll with Page. And on top of that, he was going to play my brand-new Les Paul (Gibson guitar). It was the greatest day of my life.

There were these huge holes on stage to hold the fireworks. Page began moving toward one and it was like one of those scenes in a movie with the character going slow motion to try to stop a disaster. 'Nooooooo,' I was yelling, but he went down, luckily not landing on the fireworks, luckily not injuring himself, even though he fell 6 to 8 feet. My Les Paul snapped in half, but he got back up and continued to play with us. Still, even with that memory, I love to play Reno.

So it would seem this jam was limited to just Jimmy on 'Rock And Roll'. The search for

press coverage/photographs continues.

Edited by SteveAJones

Jimmy Page Jam with Poison

University of Nevada - Lawlor Events Center

May 14, 1991

Previously in this thread we investigated a Coverdale/Page jam session with Poison back in 1991. Since there is no confirmed press coverage all I've had to go on was word of mouth that it was during the encore, that both Coverdale and Page jammed on 'Rock And Roll', 'The Rover', and 'Stairway To Heaven' and that Jimmy did indeed fall into a hole on the stage.

Now, singer Bret Michaels clarifies the events of that evening:

It was lead guitarist C.C. DeVille's birthday. Jimmy Page came onstage with me and I had always been a Zeppelin freak. The place went insane. I was unbelievably excited, getting to play Rock And Roll with Page. And on top of that, he was going to play my brand-new Les Paul (Gibson guitar). It was the greatest day of my life.

There were these huge holes on stage to hold the fireworks. Page began moving toward one and it was like one of those scenes in a movie with the character going slow motion to try to stop a disaster. 'Nooooooo,' I was yelling, but he went down, luckily not landing on the fireworks, luckily not injuring himself, even though he fell 6 to 8 feet. My Les Paul snapped in half, but he got back up and continued to play with us. Still, even with that memory, I love to play Reno.

So it would seem this jam was limited to just Jimmy on 'Rock And Roll'. The search for

press coverage/photographs continues.

So the guitar snapped in two! I can see Jimmy getting up and calling to a stage hand for a new guitar! "Another axe please".

That would be a good one for the kid's when he get's old, yes sir, Jimmy Page broke my brand new guitar on that night. Or how about explaining it to the Gibson guy he get's his guitar's from .... I don't know man, it just broke in two! Ha Ha!

It's a good thing Jimmy didn't brake in two form the fall! :D

Edited by BonzoLikeDrumer

And 29 years on, it still looks the same, more or less. Surprising it hasn't faded more.

...Tks Steve for posting this Picture along with everything else, truly truly appreciated beyond words........

I also remember from Hot Pictures of Robert Thread, Knebby mentioned, while ago that Robert cannot fully extend his arm to date........

Edited by PlanetPage