Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Led Zeppelin at the House of Lewis

I am trying to confirm the date and location of these two photographs. They were allegedly taken while Peter Grant took them shopping in 1969, possibly in Boston. Exhaustive internet searching has provided no leads, with the exception of noting there is a 1538 3rd Avenue in New York.

1969HouseofLewis001.jpg

1969HouseofLewis002.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

I don't know for certain about these photos Steve, and have wondered about them a bit myself. I have huge copies of them both. I am absolutely sure they're both taken in April or May 1969. My guess is that the photographer is Charles Bonnay - and that they were taken in the windy city. If you look closely at an uncropped version it says Prudential Plaza above the House of Lewis sign. Another possibility is that Chuck Boyd took them in NYC.

Edited by Otto Masson

I don't know for certain about these photos Steve, and have wondered about them a bit myself. I have huge copies of them both. I am absolutely sure they're both taken in April or May 1969. My guess is that the photographer is Charles Bonnay - and that they were taken in the windy city. If you look closely at an uncropped version it says Prudential Plaza above the House of Lewis sign. Another possibility is that Chuck Boyd took them in NYC.

Hadn't seen the uncropped version. Prudential Plaza? That would strongly suggest Chicago. I wish I had known

this the last time I was in Chicago, I could have looked into it further. I am aquainted with one who has access

to Chicago newspaper archives and they have shown an inclination to do research in the past. I will contact

them to see what can be found to confirm a connection between the House of Lewis and Chicago.

This courtesy of mikezep61:

This photo was taken by Charles Bonnay of Time Life photos. Here's a bunch of photos he took in May 1969 on the US Tour from NYC, Boston, and Chicago (including the one in question):

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... st=Charles Bonnay#

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... st=Charles Bonnay#2

(Make sure you type in "Bonnay#" and "Bonnay#2" after "Charles" to get to the correct link.

The photo does not look like the lobby of the Fillmore East, so I think we could safely rule that one out as well.

Many of the photo descriptions appear to be wrong. I think the photo may have actually been taken in Chicago. It appears Page and Jones are wearing similar clothing (dark shirts) to the photo of them coming out of the "House of Lewis." This is 100% located in Chicago because it was at 1538 N. Wells St. Chicago, and you could see "1538" in the photo.

I'm not too sure of what the lobby of the Kinetic Circus in Chicago looked like, but maybe it was taken there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has also been pointed out it looks like Jimmy is holding the shirt that he wore at one of the Tea Party gigs in Boston (May 27-29 1969). Perhaps he just bought it?

All evidence suggests this photograph was taken in Chicago by Charles Bonnay on May 23rd or 24th 1969.

Hi all,

Question for the Zep-perts out there,...

Been reading the book: Room Full of Mirrors by Charles R. Cross a Jimi Hendrix biography(good read!)

It says that the Jimi Hendrix on Jan 11,1967 did a two shows at the Bag O' Nails and that Jimmy Page attended that show,................true?

Thanks for any help,KB

Hi all,

Been reading the book: Room Full of Mirrors by Charles R. Cross a Jimi Hendrix biography(good read!)

It says that the Jimi Hendrix on Jan 11,1967 did a two shows at the Bag O' Nails and that Jimmy Page attended that show,................true?

Thanks for any help,KB

Please check out this thread.

Jimi and Jimmy

Hi all,

Thanks for any help,KB

Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know.

Jimmy Page

--------------------

I'm fairly certain incident occured in October 1969, as Led Zeppelin stayed in New York for several nights.

Salvation was located in Greenwich Village, as was Jimi's apartment, and he only played twice with Gypsy Sun and Rainbows following their Woodstock Festival in August. One of those gigs was at Salvation. Apparently, he was there quite a bit during this time.

Hypothesis:

On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. On the night in question, a stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since performing at Woodstock that August. His band is breaking up and he's now under new management. For these reasons he is not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

It seems highly unlikely Jimmy would have completely forgotten having seen Jimi Hendrix perform if he had,

especially since he recalled a momentary crossing of paths in a New York nightclub.

Steve, I came across this quote from Stevie Winwood today:

I also played with Jimmy Page for a solo album of his after he'd left the Yardbirds. The music wasn't heavy like Led Zeppelin, as I recall, it was quite nice.

http://www.winwoodfans.com/articles/musician.htm

Any background info on this? I know there are recordings of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You that supposedly have Winwood on them but is this what Stevie was talking about?

Edited by thozil

Steve, I came across this quote from Stevie Winwood today:

http://www.winwoodfa...es/musician.htm

Any background info on this? I know there are recordings of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You that supposedly have Winwood on them but is this what Stevie was talking about?

Here's a repost of mine (#2670) from earlier in this thread:

Jimmy Page (about 1968)

In a 1982 interview published in Timothy White's book Rock Lives (1990), Steve Winwood said he "played with Jimmy Page for a solo album of his after he'd left the Yardbirds", then adds that "the music wasn't heavy like Led Zeppelin ... it was quite nice" (!).

A Led Zeppelin bootleg CD called Olympic Gold credits Steve as organist on two tracks, "Instrumental #1" (2:50) and "Instrumental #2" (5:05). The tracks are two takes of the same jam theme, recorded at Olympic studios (London) in September and October of 1968. Some say the organist on these tracks doesn't sound like Winwood though.

A Page / Winwood tape in circulation consists of eight takes working out a song on guitar and organ. Some people have described this as part of the "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" sessions, and some people attribute the organ part to John Paul Jones rather than Steve. (Thanks to Neil from SP 26-03, 3/96.)

It's interesting to note that in 1966, Page recorded several tracks with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood and others as The Powerhouse. Winwood and Page both contributed to Joe Cocker's 'With A Little Help From My Friends' album released in 1969. Is it at all possible one of these is the actual session Winwood recalled in 1990, 20+ years after the fact? In any event, so far as I know the answer to your question remains an unsolved mystery.

Jimmy Page and Steve Winwood both sessioned with Joe Cocker in June 1968 (one report has Winwood playing with Joe on June 17th and Jimmy showing up on June 18th). It's likely that Page & Winwood got together immediately afterward, as The Yardbirds were all but broken up and Traffic was on a break through July 26th.

One song is confirmed to have been recorded by Page & Winwood in 1968: "The Bells". It has been rumored that Winwood was the organist on the primitive guitar/keyboard instrumentals that surfaced on the bootleg Olympic Gold, but I think that rumor was based purely on speculation.

BTW, although some bootleg sources claim to contain as many as 11 takes of those guitar/keyboard instrumentals, there are actually only 7 takes in circulation. The rest are just repeats.

Jimmy Page and Steve Winwood both sessioned with Joe Cocker in June 1968 (one report has Winwood playing with Joe on June 17th and Jimmy showing up on June 18th). It's likely that Page & Winwood got together immediately afterward, as The Yardbirds were all but broken up and Traffic was on a break through July 26th.

One song is confirmed to have been recorded by Page & Winwood in 1968: "The Bells". It has been rumored that Winwood was the organist on the primitive guitar/keyboard instrumentals that surfaced on the bootleg Olympic Gold, but I think that rumor was based purely on speculation.

BTW, although some bootleg sources claim to contain as many as 11 takes of those guitar/keyboard instrumentals, there are actually only 7 takes in circulation. The rest are just repeats.

That's very interesting, Scott. I hadn't heard that before. It may shed light on something Bill Wyman said, that Jimmy played three unreleased Yardbirds tracks for him at Olympic Studios on 6/22/68. (Bill was producing The End). Most accounts have Jimmy departing New York for England on 6/13/68, and you have this session on the

18th. It seems to fit.

Bill Wyman also claimed that some of the same recordings from June 1968 ended up on the first Led Zeppelin album. Maybe it was "Black Mountain Side"? Or maybe Jimmy recorded bits of the middle sections of "Dazed And Confused" or "How Many More Times" in June and then recycled them in October? I don't detect any tape cuts but I wouldn't put it past Jimmy -- especially when you consider the famous story that it only took ~30 hours to record the first album. Maybe that's because part of the album was already recorded??

Bill Wyman also claimed that some of the same recordings from June 1968 ended up on the first Led Zeppelin album. Maybe it was "Black Mountain Side"? Or maybe Jimmy recorded bits of the middle sections of "Dazed And Confused" or "How Many More Times" in June and then recycled them in October? I don't detect any tape cuts but I wouldn't put it past Jimmy -- especially when you consider the famous story that it only took ~30 hours to record the first album. Maybe that's because part of the album was already recorded??

It's difficult to say for certain. We know it having taken 30 hours to record is substantiated by the studio bill Jimmy himself paid. If anything, we may have substantiated further when sessions with Winwood were held

- June 1968.

KFMB Channel 8 San Diego

Led Zeppelin Ticket Sales News Report

January 31, 1977

This vintage video link courtesy of Terry Stephenson:

http://www.cbs8.com/global/category.asp ... start=true

Note: Concert announced 1/25/77. Tickets on sale 1/31/77. Concert originally scheduled for 3/8/77.

Postponed 2/24/77 (Robert Plant tonsilitis). Concert held at San Diego Sports Arena 6/19/77.

Thanks for the video, brought back memories of what it was like:-)

This is consistent with what I believe to be the facts too. Enrolled in Sutton Art College circa Sept '60 after having left Neil Christian and the Crusaders following a bad bout of glandular fever. Tenure at art college also lasted about 18 months, but he continued to

be involved in music during this time, for example rehearsing with Cyril Davies and Nicky Hopkins for Davies band (Jimmy declined to join), accompanying beat poet Royston Ellis on accoustic guitar, and listening to records at home with Albert Lee. Jimmy developed

an affinity for Lee's sound (Gibson Les Paul Custom with Supro Amp) and bought a Supro of his own in 1961. Jeff and Jimmy were friends in art college, but attended different schools.

Ok, I stumbled across this while reading the presskit of It Might Get Loud on the officail site, it's in the part of "About the cast" and states "In 1963 Page enrolled in Sutton Art College in Surrey to pursue his other love, painting."

I don't know if the presskit simply takes information from some unspecified sources like we all do here, or does this piece of information actually come from Jimmy Page himself, since his art school time is shown in that movie.

This from M. Hender -

On Saturday, 9/24/05, my wife and I were out cruising on the Harley when we decided to stop off at one of our favorite restaurants in the Belltown area of Seattle, The Noodle Ranch. The hostess seated us and we were commenting that it wasn't very crowded for a Saturday night, as I scanned around the room. Off to my right, I noticed a table of guys. There were about 10-12 of them eating fairly quietly. I suddenly noticed that one of the guys was Robert Plant! Robert FREAKIN' Plant! Then I remembered that he was in town to do a show at Chateau Ste. Michelle winery the next night, so it really was him.

Now, I'm not all that easily starstruck, but Robert FREAKIN' Plant, holy crap! My wife now says: "Who?". I said, ROBERT FREAKIN' PLANT! She says, "Who's that?". Okay, I guess I really didn't expect her to know who he was by name, so I said: "Y'know, lead singer of LED FREAKIN' ZEPPELIN! To my surprise, she says: "What are some of their songs?". Okay, now I'm speachless. She should know better than that. So I said: "Uh, 'Stairway to Heaven'". She says, "Oh, I like that song". Then she asked me if I was going to go over and talk to him. I said: "Hell No!, I don't want to come off as some kind of pathetic, star struck loser".

We finished our dinner and the entourage was still in place talking quietly. No one had gone over to them at all, but several people obviously knew that was him, while others seemed oblivious. So we walked out the door and my wife said that she needed to go to the bathroom and that she would be right back. Well, I knew what she was up to. She was going to try to nab an autograph. So she goes up to him and asked him if he would be offended if she asked for an autograph. Luckily he said: "Not at all". She asked him if he would sign a napkin or something and he said he would sign anything she wanted him to. Okay, but I would have let Robert Plant sign anything on her as well. She asked him to sign her sweatshirt (which was really one of my Harley sweatshirts that she borrowed) and also a small piece of paper. He did, happily. She actually said: "I love Stairway to Heaven". Oh no she didn't. Yep, she did. He said: "Don't say it that way, it's such a sad song". Then she said that he said something about it being better with 3 aspirin and a glass of water, but I didn't really get that.

So anyway, we have Robert Plant autographs and I thought I would share one here:

20050924.jpg

Restaurant Review from Cook & Eat Blog:

Noodle Ranch

228 Second Ave.

Seattle, WA 98121

206-728-0463

The Noodle Ranch, in Belltown right next to Mamma’s Mexican Kitchen, is an eclectic combination of really tasty Vietnamese/Thai inspired Asian with a slightly grunge setting. It has a hole in the wall feel, a refreshing break from the overly stylized Asian restaurants you find outside of the ID, and the service while very casual, is quick and friendly.

This from M. Hender -

On Saturday, 9/24/05, my wife and I were out cruising on the Harley when we decided to stop off at one of our favorite restaurants in the Belltown area of Seattle, The Noodle Ranch. The hostess seated us and we were commenting that it wasn't very crowded for a Saturday night, as I scanned around the room. Off to my right, I noticed a table of guys. There were about 10-12 of them eating fairly quietly. I suddenly noticed that one of the guys was Robert Plant! Robert FREAKIN' Plant! Then I remembered that he was in town to do a show at Chateau Ste. Michelle winery the next night, so it really was him.

Now, I'm not all that easily starstruck, but Robert FREAKIN' Plant, holy crap! My wife now says: "Who?". I said, ROBERT FREAKIN' PLANT! She says, "Who's that?". Okay, I guess I really didn't expect her to know who he was by name, so I said: "Y'know, lead singer of LED FREAKIN' ZEPPELIN! To my surprise, she says: "What are some of their songs?". Okay, now I'm speachless. She should know better than that. So I said: "Uh, 'Stairway to Heaven'". She says, "Oh, I like that song". Then she asked me if I was going to go over and talk to him. I said: "Hell No!, I don't want to come off as some kind of pathetic, star struck loser".

We finished our dinner and the entourage was still in place talking quietly. No one had gone over to them at all, but several people obviously knew that was him, while others seemed oblivious. So we walked out the door and my wife said that she needed to go to the bathroom and that she would be right back. Well, I knew what she was up to. She was going to try to nab an autograph. So she goes up to him and asked him if he would be offended if she asked for an autograph. Luckily he said: "Not at all". She asked him if he would sign a napkin or something and he said he would sign anything she wanted him to. Okay, but I would have let Robert Plant sign anything on her as well. She asked him to sign her sweatshirt (which was really one of my Harley sweatshirts that she borrowed) and also a small piece of paper. He did, happily. She actually said: "I love Stairway to Heaven". Oh no she didn't. Yep, she did. He said: "Don't say it that way, it's such a sad song". Then she said that he said something about it being better with 3 aspirin and a glass of water, but I didn't really get that.

So anyway, we have Robert Plant autographs and I thought I would share one here:

20050924.jpg

Restaurant Review from Cook & Eat Blog:

Noodle Ranch

228 Second Ave.

Seattle, WA 98121

206-728-0463

The Noodle Ranch, in Belltown right next to Mamma’s Mexican Kitchen, is an eclectic combination of really tasty Vietnamese/Thai inspired Asian with a slightly grunge setting. It has a hole in the wall feel, a refreshing break from the overly stylized Asian restaurants you find outside of the ID, and the service while very casual, is quick and friendly.

This is one of the best stories...someone who doesn't know them walks right up for an autograph and me- who has loved them for 4 decades would not even dare.

Suprised at Robert's response to STH??

This is one of the best stories...someone who doesn't know them walks right up for an autograph and me- who has loved them for 4 decades would not even dare.

I have a hilarious film clip of a good-natured Robert walking right up to me. Not for an autograph of course, rather he noticed I was filming his arrival as he was filming Cadillac's 100th Birthday Celebration (2002). He

was thrilled to be there and delivered a terrific speech, gave two radio interviews to the local FM rock station and signed autographs for an hour or so before leaving. (No, that's not me in the pic).

cool.gif

robertplantcad4.jpg

PlantCadillac.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

I have a hilarious film clip of a good-natured Robert walking right up to me. Not for an autograph of course, rather he noticed I was filming his arrival as he was filming Cadillac's 100th Birthday Celebration (2002). He

was thrilled to be there and delivered a terrific speech, gave two radio interviews to the local FM rock station and signed autographs for an hour or so before leaving. (No, that's not me in the pic).

cool.gif

robertplantcad4.jpg

PlantCadillac.jpg

that was in detroit.i remeber that

Nice story

Ok, I stumbled across this while reading the presskit of It Might Get Loud on the officail site, it's in the part of "About the cast" and states "In 1963 Page enrolled in Sutton Art College in Surrey to pursue his other love, painting."

I don't know if the presskit simply takes information from some unspecified sources like we all do here, or does this piece of information actually come from Jimmy Page himself, since his art school time is shown in that movie.

They went beyond printed source material and actually consulted individuals, but I can't say for certain whom

said it was 1963 and if they substantiated it.

It's generally accepted he enrolled in art college after having left Neil Christian and The Crusaders, which I believe is closer to September 1960. Without repeating much of what has been said in this thread already,

Jimmy usually says he attended college "for about 18 months" but evidence has come to light thru the years

that suggests he may have taken at least one extended break from his studies and then returned, so this

could mean 18 months in total as opposed to consecutively.

Albert Lee said he met Jimmy in '61, and they would go to each others homes to listen to records. He said Jimmy developed an affinity for his (Albert's) sound (Gibson Les Paul Custom with Supro Amp) and bought a Supro of his own that year. I show Jimmy dropped out of college in '62 to become a studio musician and have also confirmed a number of session dates in early '63.

So again, I think he started circa Sept 60 and went for about 18 months in total, dropping out in '62. However,

this is not confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt (yet).

cool.gif

robertplantcad4.jpg

PlantCadillac.jpg

I remember that day, Steve. Luckily you brought your camcorder! I am excited about the crooked vultures w/JPJ coming to Detroit in October. Tix on sale 9/3. ( I wonder who currently owns that RP autographed edition Cadillac...???? whoops..another Zep mystery!)

Edited by otto48313