Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Knebby,

Many thanks for the information! In lieu of the ticket stub you've still provided me some

additional leads by sharing the names of others who were there and may recall it or

said something along the way in the UK press. It's good to hear there may be a newsclip from the royal reception that could shed more light on that event. In the mid-80s Jimmy kept two photos displayed side by side in his living room; one of him with Prince Charles and the the other of him with Lady Diana. If I had to guess I'd say they were taken at

that reception for British rockers but I'm seeking to confirm it.

I am not writing a book at the moment, though many have encouraged me to do so.

In this digital age a book may not be the best way to share Led Zeppelin's legacy. Sam has launched this incredible website, for example, but clearly could have done a book as well. So, in closing, I'd say that right now I'm still just on a quest for more knowledge. If I ever do get books together I'd hope to emulate Peter Guralnick's 'Elvis Last Train to Memphis' or Bill Wyman's 'Rolling With The Stones'.

I suppose there are those who view this as mere trivia, and I won't argue the point,

but this thread is just getting started. Who knows what mysteries are to come. I'm

hoping others will post their unsolved Zeppelin mysteries in this thread too.

Yours Sincerely,

Steve A. Jones

Steve...don't pass over the chance to write a book. There is something about a Hard Back that .pdf can never match. I hate reading too much on the PC...gimme paper!! There are a lot of Zep books out there...some are great, some are good, others are just regurgitation. Go for writing the book mate!! Kenny

Steve...don't pass over the chance to write a book. There is something about a Hard Back that .pdf can never match. I hate reading too much on the PC...gimme paper!! There are a lot of Zep books out there...some are great, some are good, others are just regurgitation. Go for writing the book mate!! Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. A well-written book can bring credibility, permanence, even a sense of immortality to an author, as opposed to using zeros and ones which can be vaporized in an instant. There have been so many books written about Led Zeppelin, yet relatively few when compared to many other popular music groups. I do have concerns any book(s) I'd wish to write are not the books others would wish to read - it's become a big picture world and you may notice I am prone to examine even the finest details of a particular event or era. I am also

extremely hesitant to write anything which has not been substantiated as fact beyond all reasonable doubt.

Generally speaking, rock music books are filled with inaccuracies and conjecture. Even so, I haven't ruled out doing a book, though there are always other projects imposing demands upon my time.

"They're all inaccurate you know" - Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin books

"Heroes are in books - old books" - Robert Plant

you may notice I am prone to examine even the finest details of a particular event or era. I am also

extremely hesitant to write anything which has not been substantiated as fact beyond all reasonable doubt.

"They're all inaccurate you know" - Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin books

"Heroes are in books - old books" - Robert Plant

...noted, very well on my part...your top priority...

Jimmy's Jukebox

November 17

The King with his jukebox and his photo of the kings - look closely and work it out. - Ross Halfin

Photo Link: http://www.rosshalfi...vember-2009.php

My Response:

The photo hanging over Jimmy's jukebox shows Elvis "The King" Presley meeting the King of Thailand on May 21, 1960. It was taken in Hollywood on the set for his film 'G.I. Blues'.

ElvisThailand.jpg

I wonder if THIS has anything to do with Ross' cryptic comments about January and that Elvis photo?

I wonder if THIS has anything to do with Ross' cryptic comments about January and that Elvis photo?

Nice! wink.gif

If Elvis were still alive, he would turn 75 years old on January 8, 2010. So the party plans are starting with several events planned to commemorate the date, including a CD package, special concerts at Graceland in Memphis, and a Cirque du Soleil tribute show.

Note the Presley song 'Baby Let's Play House' is cited by Jimmy as being his inspiration to play the guitar!

Hey Steve, I have read that Eddie Kramer refused to record the '77 tour because of the sheer amount of drugs the band were doing? Do you have anything confirming this?

This canard has circulated for some time. He was rather busy producing 'Alive II' for Kiss, among other projects, throughout 1977.

The origins of "Alive II" go back to early 1977 when Kiss manager Bill Aucoin, had the idea to have Eddie Kramer record a live album during the evening show at Budokan Hall in Tokyo on April 2, 1977. Led Zeppelin's 1977 North American tour began the night prior.

Kramer finished work on the album, but Casablanca Records and KISS deemed it unusable, and the band forged ahead with the 'Love Gun' sessions, which Kramer also produced in addition to a reattempt of 'Alive II' with new concert recordings he produced later that year.

As a by the way, there will be an extensive interview with Eddie Kramer presented in the December 2009 issue of Dave Lewis' 'Tight But Loose' fanzine:

http://www.tightbutl...ag=eddie-kramer

Edited by SteveAJones

John Paul Jones with Herbie Goins and The Nightimers (1960s)

In the Led Zeppelin book 'The Origin of the Species' by Adam Clayson, he states (pg 73) that John Paul Jones used to play organ for Herbie Goins and the Nightimers to let off steam after his studio sessions. Seeking

further specifics/confirmation of this via anedotes, gig advertisements, photographs and so forth. I put this inquiry forward today to Mr. Goins in Rome and am awaiting a reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American singer Herbie Goins found himself in London after leaving the US armed forces in 1963. In 1964 he formed a band called the Nightimers and set about bringing soul music to the UK.

Goins' first documented recordings are believed to be a guest spot as a featured vocalist on Alexis Korner's "Live At The Cavern" LP from 64. Goins' "No.1 In Your Heart" LP was the only full length the band released, although there is a 7″ EP & at least 2-3 45s as well. The album features tracks recorded both in 1966 & 1967, they are a mix of covers & originals. They are all really great soul & the album appears to have been released or re-released under a couple of different titles: "Soul Soul Soul" & "Soultime". There seems to be some speculation as to if the LP features John McLaughlin on guitar or not, because although he was the original guitarist in the Nightimers, he left the band in late 1966. One of his compositions "Cruisin'" still appears on the LP.

This from HerbieGoins.com:

After some years with Alexis Korner Herbie forms his own group, The Nightimers, and orients himself mostly towards Rhythm and Blues. Once again he has in his band great talent musicians like John Mc Laughlin at the guitar, just to tell one name. It is an immediate success. Herbie becomes one of the favourite singers of the Mods, a movement really very important in England at that time. They follow him in all the historical London Clubs, such as Flamingo, Marquee, Sylibles. His song “Number One in Your Heart” becomes Mods’ hymn. EMI engages him and his records enter in the charts in most of the European countries and, after years, will become great demand for collectors of rare records.

During this time, memorable are the jam sessions of Herbie with Otis Redding (in concert at the Scoth Club of London), with John Lee Hooker (in concert at the Norwick Jazz Club at Norwick), and with Jimi Hendrix, still unknown and present at the Blaises Club in London every Monday for the appointment with Herbie’s concert.

One of the great fans of Herbie Goins was a young Robert Plant, who, today, still remembers his songs word by word (also Robert Plant, after time, became part of the Alexis Korner Blues Incorporated).

This from forum member swandown:

My notes show that this took place in 1966, when John McLaughlin was a member of the Night Timers (Jones and McLaughlin had previously played together in Jet Harris & Tony Meehan's backing band, and McLaughlin subsequently invited Jones to jam with the Night Timers).

Edited by SteveAJones

I have this quote from Mick Fleetwood's bio:

Since the Cheynes worked out of the Gunnel brothers' agency, we played the same circuit as their other bands - Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, Ronnie Jones and the Night-Timers (with John Paul Jones on bass and Johnny McLaughlin on guitar) and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Same band?

I have this quote from Mick Fleetwood's bio:

Same band?

Hmm...this from Alexis-Korner.net

...these qualities were enshrined in Blues Incorporated even before Heckstall-Smith joined. He noted, “Unlike a lot of groups, it was a band – it had a unity and dynamic music character of its own which transcended the individuals in it. That was rare and it had to be nurtured.” But Dick forsook his role as district nurse when he left Blues Inc. in August 1963. It seems Alexis had sensed he would rather be with the Graham Bond Organisation, along with fellow former Blues Inc’ers Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Dick reckoned he resigned three minutes before Alexis got round to sacking him. He was replaced by altoist Dave Castle, with Malcom Saul from the Eric Delaney Band coming in on organ.

That left the important role of lead vocalist. Alexis knew he was little more than adequate as a singer at that stage (he’d identified himself as “appalling” in a 1959 radio interview). He had a limited range and often wasn’t comfortable singing in the keys most amenable to band performance. In the early Autumn of 1963 he had his eye on another black American ex-serviceman, Herbie Goins, to replace the outgoing Ronnie Jones, but his next recruit was George Bruno Money, known professionally as Zoot. The flamboyant singer and keyboard player had already created the prototype for his Big Roll Band back in 1961 but with his band’s approval, he jumped at the chance of hitting the big-time in London, with Blues Inc. “I was ready for London,“ Money told Mel Wright. “I’d done all the gigs that there were to do in Bournemouth. I was known in Southampton and around the south coast. Played the best gigs with local players hating the shit out of you.”

He arrived at the Korner home in Moscow Road in his mate Pete’s Buick, to discover his first gig was that night. “The talk that we had between his house and the pub (The Six Bells, in Chelsea) was as much of a rehearsal that I ever had with Alexis.” Presumably their reception was similar to the one Money remembers at a gig on the outskirts of Manchester. “It was a pub at a crossroads, “ he told Harry Shapiro, “you’d look at the outside and think, no, no way. And then a half-hour or so before show time you’d get this incredibly well-informed raving crowd turning up who all knew what they were listening to.” This held true during the two months Money spent with Blues Inc., like his predecessor Graham Bond, playing solo sets in the intervals.

With big ambitions of his own, Zoot wasn’t unhappy when Herbie Goins was finally able to join the band in late October 1963. Goins had been born in Florida and gained some stage savvy singing with his high school group, The Teen Kings. By the time the US Army sent him to Germany, he’d already sung with B.B.King and Bobby Bland. With Edwin Starr in his unit, it didn’t take them long to get a band going. Gigging around the bases, he met bandleader Eric Delaney, who invited him to England to sing with his group. Goins had modelled himself on Basie band singer Joe Williams, but there weren’t many Jump Blues songs in the bandbook. So when Alexis asked him to join Blues Inc., Goins jumped (after working his notice) at the chance.

This from johnpauljones.com:

1961 - formed bands at school, played U.S. Airforce bases in England

1962 - turned professional, various bands touring clubs, theatres, U.S. bases, etc.

It seems entirely possible JPJ performed with the Nightimers with Ronnie Jones ('62-'63) as well as Herbie Goins ('63-'66) in the lineup. This is getting very interesting...

Ronnie Jones left Korner to form his own band, which was the Nightimers. You can find references to this in the literature on the British blues scene.

19650102MelodyMaker.jpg

Melody Maker, January 2, 1965

This from CarnabyStreetTheMusical.com:

Ronnie Jones was born in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1937, but a career in the US Air Force brought him over to the UK in 1961. He was discovered by Alexis Korner, although Jones himself credits Georgie Fame with giving him his first taste of performing live, by allowing him to step up and sing with his band during an all-nighter at the Flamingo club. Joining Korner’s Blues Incorporated, Jones would share the mic with the likes of Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry and Mick Jagger. After leaving the military, Jones returned to London, where he formed first the Nightimers, with a line-up that included guitarist John McLaughlin, and then the Blue Jays, a band which toured Europe and performed at the Marquee. His next band, the Q-Set, broke up after a three-month tour of Italy, but Jones stayed on, winning a part in the seminal Sixties musical ‘Hair’. He settled in Italy, becoming a well-known club DJ and recording disco albums during the Eighties. However, he has returned to his roots with the recently released ‘Again’, which features Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, drummer Billy Cobham and saxophonist Bill Evans.

Nice! wink.gif

If Elvis were still alive, he would turn 75 years old on January 8, 2010. So the party plans are starting with several events planned to commemorate the date, including a CD package, special concerts at Graceland in Memphis, and a Cirque du Soleil tribute show.

Note the Presley song 'Baby Let's Play House' is cited by Jimmy as being his inspiration to play the guitar!

Jack White, The Edge, Jimmy Page film release date set

'It Might Get Loud' will premiere in the UK next year

'It Might Get Loud', the forthcoming documentary featuring Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page, has got a release date.

The 97-minute film, which trails how the guitarists developed their trademark styles by using different approaches to playing the electric guitar, will get its official theatrical release on January 8.

(Elvis Presley's 75th Birthday)

I have a few "unsolved mysteries":

- Did they ever play 3/02/75 which has long been listed as "Bent Harbor TN"? This date has never been proved or disproved.

- Were 7/23/73 Baltimore and 7/24/73 Pittsburgh multitracked? This was a rumor for a long time.

- Was any 1977 show multitracked?

I have a few "unsolved mysteries":

- Did they ever play 3/02/75 which has long been listed as "Bent Harbor TN"? This date has never been proved or disproved.

- Were 7/23/73 Baltimore and 7/24/73 Pittsburgh multitracked? This was a rumor for a long time.

- Was any 1977 show multitracked?

So far as I know 3/02/75 Bent Harbor, TN never appeared on any version of the tour itinerary, and there is no

press coverage whatsoever to support a Led Zeppelin concert was held there on that date (or any other). This seems to be another "internet error" found at Wikipedia, etc. I've also seen the date attributed to Knoxville

but regardless the evidence suggests this was an off day for the band.

When Jimmy was selecting material for the 'Led Zeppelin DVD' he was unable to find any multitrack concert recordings from their 1977 North American tour and none from '77 have been confirmed to exist elsewhere.

Rumors of 7/23/73 & 7/24/73 multirack recordings remain only that - rumors - fueled in part by the knowledge that camera crews for their concert film were present at both shows.

If I am mistaken on any point or someone has anything to add to this please feel free to do so.

Jack White, The Edge, Jimmy Page film release date set

'It Might Get Loud' will premiere in the UK next year

'It Might Get Loud', the forthcoming documentary featuring Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page, has got a release date.

The 97-minute film, which trails how the guitarists developed their trademark styles by using different approaches to playing the electric guitar, will get its official theatrical release on January 8.

(Elvis Presley's 75th Birthday)

About bloody time too! :rolleyes:

Hi Steve!

Here's some newer questions for you. biggrin.gif

1.) Since the last couple of pages in this thread deal with the necklace, didn't Chris Farlowe own / or still own a WWII memorabilia store? If so, when did Chris open / purchase the store? Perhaps some of Jimmy's articles of clothing / jewelry was purchased from Chris' store?

Robert, wanted to pass along an update of sorts. You may recall I explained Farlowe started selling from a table and eventually opened a store. Another merchant who enjoyed an association with Jimmy during the Led Zeppelin era has been featured:

Lunch with the "Wild Man"

by John L. Crow August 4, 2007

This afternoon I had the opportunity to have lunch with "Wild Man" Dent Myers. We were joined by Marjorie Lyon, who works with Dent, and John Cooke, long time friend of Myers. Dent is a well known, enigmatic figure in the local North Georgia area. He owns and operates a civil war history and memorabilia store in the heart of Kennesaw, Georgia. Often maligned for his political views about race and government, few people know that Myers was an early investigator and practitioner of Thelema and magick. In fact, the O.T.O. archive has four pages of correspondence between Myers and others cataloged. He corresponded with the Germers, both Karl and Sascha, Somerset Maugham, John Symonds, and had a large correspondence with Israel Regardie throughout all the 1960s into 1970. Since Myers was such an early figure in the magical revival in the 1960s, I thought it would be important to meet with him and spend some time learning about his past, how he became involved with occultism and in particular, Thelema and Crowley.

Dent Myers was born in White County, Georgia on January 29, 1931. (It may be just an interesting coincidence, but White County, Georgia is also where Peter Davidson, of the Hermetic Brotherhood of Light, tried to establish his commune based on the ideas of the HBL and Max Theon.) Nevertheless, the son of share croppers, Dent grew up in rural Georgia attending school up to college where, for two years, he attended off campus courses from the University of Georgia in the field of abnormal psychology. His interest in the occult started in high school where he started purchasing books about spells and magic from Johnson Smith & Company out of Detroit, Michigan. As Myers matured, he purchased other books about occultism and it was in a John Symonds book that Myers first read about Aleister Crowley and Thelema. In particular, it was Liber AL vel Legis that really caught Myers attention. After that, Myers began corresponding with the authors and figures he read about in attempts to acquire the very scarce Crowley books available at the time. Many of the books were very difficult to acquire, but Myers feels that Crowley himself wanted him to have the books and assistend him in getting them. Some of the books he had were first editions of the Book of Thoth, and the tarot cards made Germer. Myers purchased as much as he could from all the Crowley publishers in the states and England. He told of the time that Samuel Weiser sent him the whole first volume of the Equinox unannounced and then allowed him to make payments on it as the upfront cost for the set was considerable, even at that time.

Myers also told me of a time that during a ceremony he placed his girlfriend of the time into a mesmeric state. He instructed her to contact Aleister Crowley directly which she did. She described the environment as a library in the netherworld filled with volume after volume. In it sat Crowley in a white robe. An aspect Myers stressed was that while there Crowley was appearing to decrease in age. The reason for the meeting was that Myers wanted a particular book that was hard to come by. Crowley told him how to get it. After the ceremony Myers followed Crowley's instruction and was, indeed, able to acquire the book.

Being that the active and serious Thelemic/occult world was relatively small in the 1960s and 1970s, Myers had the opportunity to correspond and meet many figures considered historically important today. Also, having started collecting the books and material in high school, Myers had an extensive collection that many early occultists admired. One of the figures eager to meet Myers and see his book collection was Led Zeppelin guitarist and Crowley collector, Jimmy Page. Myers has a number of photographs with him and Page in front of his massive book collection.

Myers tells of how the meeting came about. As the Crowley collecting community was relatively small, his collection came to the attention of Jimmy Page and while performing a Led Zeppelin show in Atlanta, Page called Myers and asked to see the books. Unfortunately the timing was not right; Myers was just leaving to attend a gun show. The next stop for Zeppelin was in Florida so Page made arrangements to fly back to Atlanta after the show so he could peruse Myers' collection. Myers and Page stayed in contact over the years. Myers showed me postcards and letters sent to him by Jimmy Page wishing Myers well and hoping to be able to visit Myers again in the near future.

One very nice example is a large format, black and white card with an Austin Spare print on the front and in the inside, hand written is:

Dent, Many moons since I saw you. Should be in the U.S. in perhaps January & February. We could meet. With the Seasons Greetings, Jimmy Page.

The cards has "Jimmy Page, Plumpton Place, Plumpton, Sussex" printed at the bottom. In addition to the Crowley collection, Myers also had other books like a first edition Abramelin the Mage, first editions of Regardie books, and more. Myers even stated that Regardie used to send him manuscripts to review before publication.

Myers also showed me a curious letter from Eric Hill sent on May 13, 1974. Hill was a friend of Page's who with Page opened Equinox Books (if I recall correctly) in London. The letter states that they wanted a Confederate flag "for obvious reasons of heritage" for their shop.

Another person who knew Myers and was also involved with Crowley collecting was Michael Bertiaux student and William Breeze teacher, Jack Hogg. Concerned about the welfare off the collection after a flood nearly destroyed his home, Myers contacted Hogg who, with the help of Breeze and another, probably Anthony Iannotti, took Myers' Crowley collection along with a few others books and letters and added them to the Ordo Templi Orientis archive. The items turned over to the O.T.O. archive also included a pipe Myers had that was previous owned by Crowley.

Since then Myers has continued to practice, but not in a ceremonial fashion. He stated that once you start in occultism, it is hard to leave and that once you have been practicing a long time, it becomes part of you and you no longer have to perform a ceremony, you can simply will things to happen. Myers said that this is how it is with him and he joked that he has to make sure he does not lose his temper or else he loses control and things just happen!

The afternoon was informative and entertaining. Myers has a great sense of humor that comes from a life filled with adventure and mishaps. While I don't share many of his political views, I do think his story is worth knowing and preserving. I think there are a lot of early occultists and Thelemites from the 1950s through the 1980's that all have important and interesting stories and these should be recorded and documented. I hope to continue the discussion with Myers over the next few weeks before I leave for Amsterdam and learn more about the early days when the magical revival was just starting.

Photo Gallery of Mr. Myers and his store:

http://www.flickr.co...57601220585415/

Link to Mr. Myers store:

http://www.wildmans-shop.com/

Comment by amillay

2007-08-21 00:19:07 I enjoyed your post on the Wild Man since it brought back some memories. When I was about 18 years old, before I had joined the O.T.O. or knew anyone involved with Crowley's work, someone recommended that I visit his store since he had a section in the back with Crowley books. I went there and spent some time looking at his collection of books for sale and dusty bottles of herbs, and purchased a book on the Tarot by Crowley. Myers showed me some photos of he and Pageoverall an entertaining afternoon, and interesting to see the Old South so well preserved.

Edited by SteveAJones

The Mysterious Woman Featured in Robert Plant's Heaven Knows

A band member confirmed her name is Alice Gee and that she may have been a model as opposed to as an actress.

Alas, she seems to have vanished into the mists of history. I'm seeking any additional information as to how she

came to be selected for this project, examples of her other work and her whereabouts today for an interview.

AliceGee5.jpg

...is also the mysterious woman in The Firm's promo video for All The King's Horses!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lHACHGERfmk[

Edited by SteveAJones

Here's one I'm sure many people can answer. It's been long time since I've seen TSRTS (sounds like a good song lyric in there - better save that one), but is there not a brief shot in the film of RP walking offstage and blatantly puffing a joint that's been thrown from the fans? Or am I misremembering it?

Here's one I'm sure many people can answer. It's been long time since I've seen TSRTS (sounds like a good song lyric in there - better save that one), but is there not a brief shot in the film of RP walking offstage and blatantly puffing a joint that's been thrown from the fans? Or am I misremembering it?

I don't remember that - could have been a cigarette though. I do remember he picks up the joint and has a big smile on his face :D

Do You Remember... Vintage Led Zeppelin T-Shirts

1977HobartIndianaHighSchool.jpg

1977 Hobart, Indiana High School Yearbook Photo

Possibly a t-shirt purchased through national music magazines such as Circus, Hit Parader or Creem

1982DuncanvilleTXHighSchool.jpg

1982 Duncanville, TX High School Yearbook Photo

T-shirt of unknown origin..."Led Zeppelin rules America 1977"...appears to depict a Sleestak (humanoid/lizard) from the popular Land of the Lost television series which aired from 1974-77 and then entered syndication. This is almost certainly unlicensed clothing.

LandoftheLost.jpg

Sleestaks