Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

have john paul jones and robert plant ever displayed their sigils/signs from IV on stage? bonzo and jimmy had them at every gig since their inception, didn't they?

and if not, why?

JPJ displayed his symbol during both of his most recent solo tours. The symbol was designed into the legwork of his stand-up lap steel guitar. You can probably find it in some tour photos on his website.

JPJ displayed his symbol during both of his most recent solo tours. The symbol was designed into the legwork of his stand-up lap steel guitar. You can probably find it in some tour photos on his website.

Yes, that's right Mark. It was also engraved on the back of at least one of his instruments used during those tours.

have john paul jones and robert plant ever displayed their sigils/signs from IV on stage? bonzo and jimmy had them at every gig since their inception, didn't they?

and if not, why?

The four symbols were created as part of the fourth Untitled album, however the earliest any of them were shown on stage was at the November 11, 1971 Newcastle City Hall show.

lz19711111_02.jpg

lz19711111_03.jpg

Presumably, Jimmy Page's Zoso symbol was on the Marshall straight cabinet on the same night but the earliest I could find a picture was 8 days later at London's Wembley Empire Pool show, on November 20, 1971.

lz19711120_16.jpg

Whether Robert Plant's symbol appeared at the same time is a bit of a mystery, however here is a picture of it from May 27, 1972 at Amsterdam's Oude Rai.

lz19720527_02.jpg

Who knows when it was ever used again? JPJ's symbol on the curtain in front of the Fender Rhodes piano disappeared after the 1972 Japan tour, John Bonham's symbol was retained through the 1975 Earls Court shows and Jimmy Page's Zoso symbol disappeared after the Knebworth warmup shows in Copenhagen on July 23-24, 1979.

The four symbols were created as part of the fourth Untitled album, however the earliest any of them were shown on stage was at the November 11, 1971 Newcastle City Hall show.

lz19711111_02.jpg

lz19711111_03.jpg

Presumably, Jimmy Page's Zoso symbol was on the Marshall straight cabinet on the same night but the earliest I could find a picture was 8 days later at London's Wembley Empire Pool show, on November 20, 1971.

lz19711120_16.jpg

Whether Robert Plant's symbol appeared at the same time is a bit of a mystery, however here is a picture of it from May 27, 1972 at Amsterdam's Oude Rai.

lz19720527_02.jpg

Who knows when it was ever used again? JPJ's symbol on the curtain in front of the Fender Rhodes piano disappeared after the 1972 Japan tour, John Bonham's symbol was retained through the 1975 Earls Court shows and Jimmy Page's Zoso symbol disappeared after the Knebworth warmup shows in Copenhagen on July 23-24, 1979.

thanks so much for this and all the other replies :)

i have never seen roberts symbol on stage before! anyone know why he didn't keep it? knebby? thankyou

Did he use it during the Page/Plant tours? I know it was on a lot of the flyers.

Anytime their sigils were used during the Page/Plant era (as a backdrop, for promotional items or merchandising)

they appeared together like this:

1995PagePlantTour2-1.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

Robbie Krieger Playing Jimmy Page Riff (2003 concert)

So I'm relaxing in my moated manor house this evening with the lights down low and I was watching this concert dvd - The Doors of the 21st Century: L.A. Woman Live. This was the Krieger - Manzarek - Astbury - Dennis - Barbera lineup. It was recorded in Houston back in 2003 but not on You Tube yet. Well, while they were doing their fourth song, Love Me Two Times (at 28:58 into the disc), Krieger scratches his head and then he delivers this Page-esque riff I've heard Jimmy crank out a hundred times. The damndest thing is I can't quite place it. I think it's something Jimmy usually did during No Quarter or Dazed And Confused on the '73 tour. I recognized it immediately as a standard Page riff, though it could also be a standard blues riff. He only plays it for about four seconds but nails it - same tone as Jimmy and everything. Anyway, if someone else out there has this dvd (and it is worth having) check it out and let me know what you think.

Edited by SteveAJones

I have a little question: I read some time ago, on this forum, some concert review where it was stated that about 90000 persons, according some police source, remained outside the venue because they could't get tickets. Is anyone remember what concert was that? Thanks a lot! :)

I have a little question: I read some time ago, on this forum, some concert review where it was stated that about 90000 persons, according some police source, remained outside the venue because they could't get tickets. Is anyone remember what concert was that? Thanks a lot! :)

Oakland seats 90 000 but they were inside

I have a little question: I read some time ago, on this forum, some concert review where it was stated that about 90000 persons, according some police source, remained outside the venue because they could't get tickets. Is anyone remember what concert was that? Thanks a lot!

Something must have been lost in translation as 90,000, let alone 9,000 is far too many ticket-less fans.

jpj19991016_13.jpg

October 16, 1999

New York, New York

Irving Plaza

Edited by dazedjeffy