Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Wheaton

(Not sure if it's been discussed or not or wether it's worth discussing but here goes anyway)

Heavy, Wheaton

A Faithful Few Insist They Saw Led Zeppelin Play a Local Gig in 1969, but the Details Are Hazy

By David Montgomery

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, March 9, 2009

Somestories sound preposterous, if delightfully so -- like the one aboutthe night Led Zeppelin played the Wheaton Youth Center.

Robert Plant doing a whole lotta lovin' on Georgia Avenue? Jimmy Page climbing a stairway to suburbia?

Noticket stubs, posters, pictures or news clippings of the gig are knownto exist. Yet some people passionately insist they saw the performance.Zeppelin-in-Wheaton is Washington's own rock-and-roll Loch NessMonster. Could it possibly be real?

Yes. No way. Depends whom you ask.

Toappreciate the monumental improbability, you had to be there Saturdayafternoon, amid the motley crowd of graying Zeppelinheads -- with theirT-shirts, ticket stubs and precious original LPs -- gathered for anearnest experiment in the nature of truth, myth, memory and dreams.

It was a reunion -- a reunion of people who attended an event that may not have occurred.

Apparenteyewitness testimony was recorded for posterity. Skeptics were listenedto. In the absence of physical evidence, any totemic link to the fabledshow was deemed potentially worthy. Then veteran local musicians tookthe stage and everybody totally rocked out.

"They weredefinitely here," said Anne Marie Pemberton, a computer systemsengineer who was 17, she said, when she saw the show. She paced the gymfloor Saturday, marking specific spots, occasionally wielding an airguitar.

"Page was over here. John Paul Jones was over there.Plant the showman was right here. And right behind was John Bonham withhis hellacious drum set."

Tom McAleer, a liquor salesman whogrew up near the center, carried a grocery bag containing the batteredwhite Chuck Taylor high-tops he says he was wearing that night 40 yearsago when he and a friend sneaked in to see Led Zeppelin. "My girlfriendgives me a hard time because I save everything," he said.

ButSharon Ward Ellis, the former director of the youth center, who canrecall telling Iggy Pop to stop smearing peanut butter on his chestduring his Wheaton concert, has no recollection of Led Zeppelin. Andformer teen center fan Ruth Lynn Youngwirth brought her scrapbookdocumenting scores of concerts from 1967 to 1972. Curiously, the logdoes not include the Wheaton Zeppelin show.

"If Led Zeppelin was here, I don't remember," Youngwirth said.

Hmm.

Wayup Georgia, next to the public library and the townhouses, the WheatonCommunity Center, as it's called now, is one of those bright, smileyconcrete-block havens built by society to keep the kids out of trouble.It's got a trippy, wavy roof to remind you it dates from the 1960s.

Thenas now, the space was operated by the Montgomery County Department ofRecreation. Today the main floor is a basketball court. Back then, kidsroller-skated on that floor. Today there are DJ classes, teen dances,art lessons and computer labs. But once upon a time, the rec departmentfound itself in the unlikely role of rock concert co-promoter, and theWheaton Youth Center was almost unbelievably cool.

Iggy Pop,Alice Cooper, Dr. John, Rod Stewart, Rare Earth, Bob Seger and localboy Nils Lofgren with his national act Grin: They played Wheaton.

But Led Zeppelin?

Theshow supposedly took place the evening of Jan. 20, 1969, the day ofRichard Nixon's first inauguration. Zeppelin was on its first U.S.tour. The band's first album had just been released. Hardly anybody hadever heard of the group, though Jimmy Page was sort of famous forhaving been in the Yardbirds.

Zeppelin-in-Wheaton is a weirdsubcultural enigma on the blurry frontier between the absurd and thesublime -- which means it's a perfect assignment for Jeff Krulik, thelocal filmmaker whose body of work roams this frontier, going back tohis cult classic, "Heavy Metal Parking Lot," the documentary aboutbig-haired heavy metal fanatics shot with John Heyn in the parking lotof the old Capital Centre in Landover before a Judas Priest concert in1986.

Krulik put out the call: If you attended the maybe mythic show, come to a reunion at the Wheaton Community Center.

Healso invited anyone connected to the regional teen center scene of thetime. The centers were vital venues for youth culture and music as the1960s burned out. The modern rock concert industry had yet to be born,there was no Ticketmaster or Live Nation, and a ticket to a Zeppelinshow at Merriweather Post Pavilion (where the band definitely did playin May 1969) cost $5.75 -- while a ticket for a show at Wheaton cost adollar or two.

More than a hundred people showed up Saturday --a bigger crowd than the 50 or 60 who are said to have attended theZeppelin show. About a half-dozen at the reunion said they had attendedthe concert. The rest were fans who had seen other shows in Wheaton, orthey were musicians who had played in bands on the teen center circuit.

Inthe end, it wasn't just a reunion of a storied Zeppelin show. It was areunion of people who had even more in common -- having been young atthe same time, when music was the crucial soundtrack to importantdreams.

Krulik ran around the gym like a madman with a camera,doing interviews. The working title for his documentary-in-progress,about the birth of the local concert scene, is "Led Zeppelin PlayedHere."

"Please talk me out of ideas like this!" he hollered in passing, clearly delighted with the chaos.

BrianKnapp, a leading collector of Zeppelin memorabilia, from Alexandria,sidled around the room in faux snakeskin boots, showing off an album ofartifacts, hoping to acquire more. He showed Pemberton a Polaroid ofPage playing a Fender Telecaster with a psychedelic paint job.

"I saw that guitar!" said Pemberton, who thinks Page may have played it at Wheaton.

SubsequentLed Zeppelin performances are well documented, including the band'sappearance at the Laurel Pop Festival in July 1969. The Post sent CarlBernstein to review the show. He was unimpressed with Zeppelin: "Mildlyinteresting, if not musically original," he said, and he lamented thatthe popularity and success of Zeppelin and other British power groups"make it unpleasant to contemplate where rock is going."

TheWheaton show has remained mysterious. Despite the clear recollectionsof several who say they were there, it is puzzling that so many otherswho were regulars at the Wheaton center never heard of the show at thetime.

Those who did say they were there seemed to possess aspecial aura. They were avatars from the creation, that brief momentbefore Zeppelin was Zeppelin. Imagine being one of the privileged 50 or60 in the room that inauguration night! Those who were not there beggedto be transported back.

"They did a great version of 'Train Kept A-Rollin',' " said Tom Grooms, public affairs director and DJ with WJZW.

"Ijust remember it was noisy and I didn't understand what it was allabout," said Marc Elrich, the Montgomery County Council member whoplayed guitar and sang in a band called Franklin Park Zoo.

"Ithink they were wondering where everyone was," said Pemberton. "Youjust sort of walked in. They were setting up. Next thing you know, bam,'Good Times Bad Times' and whoa!"

Do surviving members ofZeppelin remember the show? Messages sent through their representativesyielded no response. The band's former touring manager, Richard Cole,does not recall the Wheaton show now, according to Sam Rapallo, thewebmaster of the authoritative Web site ledzeppelin.com.

However, the site does list the Wheaton show in the chronology of all the band's gigs. Aha!

Thesource for that reference, Rapallo said by e-mail, is the book "CapitolRock," an encyclopedic record of the local music scene by MarkOpsasnick. Opsasnick was at the reunion. He got the story from BarryRichards, the ambitious young DJ and promoter who brought numerous actsto Wheaton.

Reached by telephone in Los Angeles, Richards saidZeppelin really did play Wheaton. It was a last-minute gig to fill anoff night for the band between dates in Detroit and Pittsburgh.Richards didn't have much time to promote it.

Richards said theband's manager, Peter Grant, who died in 1995, was bitterlydisappointed in the turnout, and blamed him for it.

"He was [angry]," Richards says. Out in the parking lot, "he got in my face." Richards thought Grant was going to beat him up.

Instead, Richards handed over $100 for gas money, and that's how Led Zeppelin left Wheaton -- so the story goes.

When the first Firm album came out, did Atlantic publicize that "Midnight Moonlight" was an unrecorded Zep song ("Swan Song"), or did people find out from word of mouth, interviews, etc.?

Edited by Wolfman

When the first Firm album came out, did Atlantic publicize that "Midnight Moonlight" was an unrecorded Zep song ("Swan Song"), or did people find out from word of mouth, interviews, etc.?

Atlantic did not mention it at all, and Jimmy only referenced it a couple times. Keep in mind that in 1985 the bootleg versions of "Swan Song" had not been widely circulated, so the fans did not know what "Swan Song" sounded like except for the brief snippets that Jimmy occasionally incorporated into "White Summer".

Jimmy said it was the first song he and Paul Rodgers wrote together (in Sep/Oct 1983) and it was performed live

for the first time at the Reunion Arena in Dallas, TX on Nov 28, 1983. While touring, Jimmy would occasionally refer to this song onstage as Bird On The Wing even after it was released in 1985 on the The Firm's first album as Midnight Moonlight. I believe Bird on The Wing may have been it's original working title.

Where and When, Exactly?

1985.jpg

Photo credit: Jason Bonham's official fan Facebook page

Jimmy's scarf and shirt were worn at Live Aid (July 15, 1985) as well as performances with The Firm earlier that year, but there were only three UK dates - Birmingham (5/18), Edinburgh (5/20) & Wembley (5/22). Robert had

gone to the Birmingham gig but didn't mention Jason being there and I believe Jimmy wore a green shirt for the

Edinburgh concert. So was this taken in Wembley, Philadelphia or perhaps even Ibiza in August (though I don't

think a tour bus was used there)? USA?

Question, can anyone shed any light on the most frenquent places they would have went to while in The Big Easy? Stories to share, photos?

Concert-Length Performances

Municipal Auditorium 8/29/71

Municipal Auditorium 5/14/73

Municipal Auditorium (?) Aug/Sep 75 (Postponed August 8th following Plant's auto accident…ultimately cancelled)

Superdome 7/30/77 (Cancelled 7/27/77)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 3/24/85 (Last show of The Firm's 1st leg)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 4/25/86 (The Firm; support from Mason Ruffner)

Municipal Auditorium 9/24/88 (Page)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 6/6/88 (Plant)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 10/26/90 (Plant)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 10/30/93 (Plant)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 3/10/95 (Page/Plant)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 3/11/95 (Page/Plant)

Jimmy's Music Club 5/20/97 (Jason Bonham)

Jimmy's Music Club 2/14/98 (Jason Bonham)

University of New Orleans - Kiefner Lakefront Arena (6801 Franklin Avenue) 10/1/98 (Page/Plant)

House of Blues 3/14/00 (Jones)

Fairgrounds Racetrack - Acura Stage New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 4/25/08 (Plant & Krauss)

Public Appearances

Royal Orleans 5/14/73

The band are booked into this hotel prior to tonight's concert; Page & Plant conduct their first interview with Lisa Robinson by the rooftop pool

Gateway (Bourbon & Iverville) 5/15/73

The band attend a gig by 1950's crooner Frankie Ford (early morning hours)

Deja Vu 5/15/73

The band move on to this club where the owner asks them to imprint their hands in cement...journalist Lisa Robinson was there and remembered there was a full moon (early morning hours)

Royal Orleans 5/15/73

Page, Cole, Grant, Phil Carson, security people, drag queens and members of the entourage gather at the pool (early morning hours)

Later in the day, Page gave an interview to Chris Donovan of 'Disc'

Cosimo's Recording Studio 5/15/73

Ahmet Ertegun hosts a party for the group with entertainment by Ernie K. Doe, Professor Longhair, Snooks Eaglin

Royal Orleans 4/1/77

Led Zeppelin returned to New Orleans via The Starship after their performance in Dallas, TX

Maison Dupuy Hotel (1001 Rue Toulouse) 5/21/77

Bonham and the entourage gather in the Lautrec lounge in the mid-afternoon...fly to Houston, TX and back via Starship

7/26/77

Flight arrival onboard Ceasar's Chariot

Maison Dupuy Hotel (1001 Rue Toulouse) 7/26/77

Led Zeppelin check in to their hotel rooms on the 2nd of 5 days off; Plant is informed via telephone that his son has died

Maison Dupuy Hotel (1001 Rue Toulouse) 7/27/77

Peter Grant announces the cancellation of Saturday's concert at Superdome, as well as the shows for Chicago and Buffalo...the remainder were cancelled about a week later

Old Absynthe House (Bourbon Street) 3/85

Page and Tony Franklin walk in during Mason Ruffner's set; introduces himself but turns down invitation to jam... and gives him tickets to The Firm's show

In Through The Out Door 3/24/85

Post-performance get together at a local bar

Unconfirmed hotel 3/25/85

Page grants an interview to Don McLeese of 'The Boston Herald'

Page joins Mason Ruffner for an onstage jam

Page joins Mason Ruffner for an onstage jam for the second night in a row

Old Absynthe House (Bourbon Street) 4/25/86

Page is seen here following The Firm's concert

Moisant Field 6/5/88

Flight arrival of chartered aircraft from St. Louis (Plant)

Windsor Court (300 Gavier Street 70140) 6/5-7/88

(Plant check-in 6/5, check out 6/7)

Moisant Field 6/7/88

Flight departure of chartered aircraft for Houston, TX (Plant)

Page and Phil Carlo are flown from NYC to New Orleans (end of tour) 11/14/88

Muddy Waters Club 2/19/93

(Page jams with Mason Ruffner)

The Howlin' Wolf 907 South Peters Street 70130

(Page jams with Mason Ruffner again)

Lakefront Airport 3/8/95

(Page & Plant's flight arrival from Orlando, FL)

Windsor Court (300 Gavier Street 70140) 3/8-13/95

(Page & Plant check-in 3/8, day off 3/9, check out 3/13)

Lakefront Airport 3/13/95

(Page & Plant's flight departure for Austin, TX)

Circa Mar/Apr/May 96

Page took a post-World Tour break to visit his son

8/98

Page & his son James arrive from London Heathrow

Page conducts a telephone interview with 'Kerrang!' at 5:30am from the New Orleans hotel he is staying at

Lakefront Airport 10/1/98

(Page & Plant's flight arrival from Houston, TX)

Windsor Court (300 Gavier Street 70140) 3/8-13/95

(Page & Plant check-in 10/1, check out 10/2)

Lakefront Airport 10/2/98

(Page & Plant's flight departure for Memphis, TN)

Lousiana Music Factory 3/14/00

Jones had planned to stop here prior to his show to search for old time waltzes and the music of Chevy Bergeron, a little known Louisiana pedal steel player

Lakefront Airport 4/19/07

(Plant's flight arrival from New York, NY)

Music Shed 4/19/07

Plant arrived around noon with one woman from his management company.…He and Lil' Band O' Gold recorded 'It Keeps Raining' first

for a Fats Domino tribute album with proceeds to Tipitina Foundation at this converted warehouse studio in the Lower Garden District

Lousiana Music Factory 4/19/07

Having arrived in New Orleans with the intent to shop here, Plant stocks up on books, dvds and local cds

Mid-City Lanes Rock 'n' Bowl 4/19/07

Plant attends a Mamou Playboys gig featuring Steve Riley

Dick & Jenny's 4/19/07

Plant dines in this restaurant

Tipitina's 4/19/07

Plant attends a Soweto Gospel Choir gig, listening at first from the balcony (closed to the public) but eventually mingling with the crowd alongside the bar

The Maple Leaf 4/19/07

Plant's night ends here with keyboardist Ivan Neville, drummer Johnny Vidacovich and Meters basssist George Porter Jr.

Music Shed 4/20/07

Plant cuts 'Valley Of Tears' with the Soweto Gospel Choir

Music Shed 4/21/07

Plant meets Fats Domino

Tipitina's 4/21/07

Plant and Lil' Band O' Gold perform a six-song set of classic rock n' roll oldies

The Spotted Cat (Frenchman Street) 4/21/07

Plant makes a brief appearance following his performance earlier

Lafayette, LA & New Orleans, LA 4/22-26/07

Plant spends two days (4/22-23) in Lafayette with C.C. Adcock, organizer of the Fats Domino tribute album...flys back to England on 4/26

If anyone knows of other confirmed Led Zeppelin/solo public appearances in New Orleans please post them

Edited by SteveAJones

Hard Rock Cafe ....24th Sept 1988. Jimmy plus wife and Jason eat and hang out at the Hard Rock Cafe after that nights show. ( I only know this because I was there)

Thanks, Dave. This public appearance has been added to my database. By the way, my notes show that end of leg concert was originally planned for Sept 25th but rescheduled for Sept 24th. It's possible change was made

out of respect for John Bonham (or indeed, Jason). Do you recall the date being changed? Was it discussed at all that night? It may have been changed before tickets even went on sale.

Thanks, Dave. This public appearance has been added to my database. By the way, my notes show that end of leg concert was originally planned for Sept 25th but rescheduled for Sept 24th. It's possible change was made

out of respect for John Bonham (or indeed, Jason). Do you recall the date being changed? Was it discussed at all that night? It may have been changed before tickets even went on sale.

Indeed it was changed Steve. When I arrived in New Orleans on 23rd I was expecting a show on 25th at a different arena ( Lakefront?). Luckily I was in the Old Absinthe Bar on the night of 23rd and hooked up with hard core USA Zep fans and photographer Frank Melfi who told me of the change of venue...it was not due to respect for Bonzo but due to slow ticket sales and so moved to a smaller arena. Disappointing initially...but the atmosphere in the smaller arena (ie, full) made the night better than a less than full larger venue.

Frank got me in for nothing.....and we ended up in the Hard Rock with the band afterwards. Bless him. I also crashed in his hotel room......we also partied hard at the Old Absinthe bar and I ended up crashing out there for a few days (Frank had gone home) after the gig with the wonderful staff there. Aaaa memories.!

Indeed it was changed Steve. When I arrived in New Orleans on 23rd I was expecting a show on 25th at a different arena ( Lakefront?). Luckily I was in the Old Absinthe Bar on the night of 23rd and hooked up with hard core USA Zep fans and photographer Frank Melfi who told me of the change of venue...it was not due to respect for Bonzo but due to slow ticket sales and so moved to a smaller arena. Disappointing initially...but the atmosphere in the smaller arena (ie, full) made the night better than a less than full larger venue.

Frank got me in for nothing.....and we ended up in the Hard Rock with the band afterwards. Bless him. I also crashed in his hotel room......we also partied hard at the Old Absinthe bar and I ended up crashing out there for a few days (Frank had gone home) after the gig with the wonderful staff there. Aaaa memories.!

Many thanks for the details. Perhaps a ticket stub, ad, news item or newspaper review will surface to confirm the original venue was Lakefront Arena, which has a seating capacity of approx 10,000 vs. approx 6,000 at Municipal Auditorium. Municipal Auditorium faces an uncertain future:

Municipal Auditorium still festers, despite renovation next door

By Michelle Krupa, The Times-Picayune

January 07, 2009, 9:55PM

As throngs of music lovers pour into the refurbished Mahalia Jackson Theater of the Performing Arts tonight for the playhouse's first show since Hurricane Katrina, another once-grand, city-owned gathering space at Louis Armstrong Park will remain dark.

More than three years after the flood, the Morris F.X. Jeff Sr. Municipal Auditorium remains a ruined shell of the Italian Renaissance Revival structure that for decades played host to some of New Orleans' most important events, from operas and dance recitals to graduation ceremonies and Carnival balls. City officials shy away from suggesting when it might reopen.

Though the 6,000-seat auditorium sits on high ground in Treme, its basement, like the ground floor of the Mahalia Jackson Theater, flooded in Katrina, causing major damage to electrical and mechanical equipment, said Cynthia Sylvain-Lear, the city's deputy chief administrative officer. A retaining wall also buckled in the storm, allowing rain to pour in through the roof, she said.

"There was water from below and water from above, " Sylvain-Lear said.

Though city officials quickly tapped $200,000 in federal money to stop further deterioration of the crippled building, efforts toward its full restoration have lagged as other recovery projects took precedence, Sylvain-Lear said.

"We prioritized public safety first, " including police stations and firehouses, she said, adding that community buildings like libraries came next. "The theater had specific priority because the performing arts groups just didn't have other options, and for them to survive, they really needed the expanded ticket sales."

Architects and engineers hired to plan the restoration of public facilities across the city have continued working on plans for the Municipal Auditorium, Sylvain-Lear said, but the project remains far from the top of the list. She declined to speculate on how soon the curtain may rise again.

As the auditorium has festered, the Mahalia Jackson Theater has seen $22 million in renovations, including installation of a cutting-edge sound system, a digital cinema screen, enhanced lighting, a new orchestra shell and a state-of-the-art ballet floor.

Tonight's New Orleans all-star revue, featuring the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Kermit Ruffins, Ingrid Lucia and others, kicks off a week of performances by artists including songwriter and producer Allen Toussaint with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, trumpeter Irvin Mayfield and gospel singer Yolanda Adams with the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, violinist Itzhak Perlman and Spanish tenor Placido Domingo.

In addition to the revival of the Mahalia Jackson Theater, about $5 million has been pumped into replacing lighting and restoring the grounds of Louis Armstrong Park, the 32-acre sanctuary of lawns and lagoons off North Rampart Street at the edge of the French Quarter.

Though the festivities mark the culmination of the restoration effort, quarreling continues over who will foot the bill. Local tax dollars have paid for the bulk of the work, and Mayor Ray Nagin has said the Federal Emergency Management Agency owes the city about $20 million in reimbursements.

But so far, FEMA has committed to pay only about $9.5 million. Under federal law, the agency must repay local governments for the cost of returning facilities damaged in disasters to their prestorm function, though not for upgrades.

Very early estimates for repairing the Municipal Auditorium set the cost at $7.9 million, Sylvain-Lear said. But she cautioned that structural and electrical damage to the building far exceeded that at the Mahalia Jackson Theater. As architects and engineers dig deeper into its problems, the sum is likely to grow and probably will eclipse the theater's price tag, she said.

FEMA has earmarked just more than $4 million to repair the auditorium, including the initial mitigation money, spokesman Andrew Thomas said. FEMA will consider all requests by City Hall for reimbursements, he said.

Built in 1929 for $2.5 million, the Municipal Auditorium was intended as a memorial to World War I veterans. Its elegant gathering spaces soon became a center of civic life. Rex and Comus hosted concurrent balls there, and their courts held the traditional Mardi Gras night meeting there.

Through the years, the building also welcomed auto shows, hockey games and conventions. Along with nearby Congo Square, it hosted the music festival that grew into the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and in 1996, it served as the temporary predecessor to Harrah's New Orleans Casino.

Known originally as the Municipal Auditorium and Exhibition Hall, the building was renamed in 1994 for Morris F.X. Jeff, a teacher and coach who established recreational and educational programs for black children before integration of the city's public buildings and programs.

Edited by SteveAJones

Peter Grant, I imagine.

I'm sure he was there for most of them, but was he able to see all the shows, I tend to think of Peter out back somewhere taking care of the bootleggers and arguing with promoters. I think it may be a soundman, lighting engineer or roadie perhaps, Richard Cole perhaps, but in his own admission i doubt he'd remember them

Where and When, Exactly?

1985.jpg

Photo credit: Jason Bonham's official fan Facebook page

Jimmy's scarf and shirt were worn at Live Aid (July 15, 1985) as well as performances with The Firm earlier that year, but there were only three UK dates - Birmingham (5/18), Edinburgh (5/20) & Wembley (5/22). Robert had

gone to the Birmingham gig but didn't mention Jason being there and I believe Jimmy wore a green shirt for the

Edinburgh concert. So was this taken in Wembley, Philadelphia or perhaps even Ibiza in August (though I don't

think a tour bus was used there)? USA?

For what it's worth, I know Jimmy wore that "Live Aid" outfit onstage for a guest appearance with Robert Plant at NJ in the Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford not too long after Live Aid. He joined him for a couple of encores...

For what it's worth, I know Jimmy wore that "Live Aid" outfit onstage for a guest appearance with Robert Plant at NJ in the Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford not too long after Live Aid. He joined him for a couple of encores...

Yes, but I've never seen anything to suggest Jason Bonham went to the states in 1985, when Jimmy wore it the most. If this was taken in 1986 then perhaps it was while on tour in the states, as Virginia Wolf (Jason on drums) was their

opening act from Mar-Apr '86.