Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I spoke to Jason about the photo: He said it's from Ibiza 1986 and it was a jam with Chris Squire. They even played one of the "XYZ" songs.

Sam, many thanks for putting me out of my misery on the location, and the revelation that an XYZ track was played. However, knowing that much, I'd now like to counter-offer, if I may, with it having been taken in August 1985 as my notes show the following:

Jul or Aug 1985

Jimmy and Chris Squire went to Ibiza together on holiday

Aug 4, 1985 Heartbreak Hotel in Ibiza

Billed as Safe Sex, Page jams with Phil Carson and Jason Bonham in a local club (Jason was in Ibiza to record tracks for Virginia Wolf's debut album)

August 28, 1985 Sun Power Festival in Ibiza

Jimmy & Jason appear with Opus, Chris Squire of Yes, and Mick Thompson on vocals; 50 minute blues jam. This is the event I now believe the photograph was taken at. The placard behind them must certainly read "Opus", not bus or tour bus.

They key to placing Jimmy & Jason together in Ibiza in 1985 instead of 1986 is the Virginia Wolf debut album, which was recorded there, if I'm not mistaken, in Summer 1985. From what I have found, Jason arrived a week prior to those Virginia Wolf recording sessions on account of Page and Squire already being there on holiday together. The sessions themselves: Jason on drums, Nick Bold - guitar, Joey Burt - bass, Spike Edney - keyboards, Chris Ousey - vocals, and

Tessa Niles - vocals.

Link to Heartbreak Hotel setlist, gig photos and anecdotes (it claims 1986).

It shows the third song was an "instrumental" - quite likely it's the XYZ track.

http://www.stryder.de/SafeSex.html

Thinking.gif

Reminded of ALL these details, I hope either of you will reconfirm the year. I appreciate all assistance shown in this thread.

cool.gif

Edited by SteveAJones

If anyone knows of other confirmed Led Zeppelin/solo public appearances in New Orleans please post them

Update:

Wrangler's in Carencro, LA 4/20/07

Details:

This from www.travismatte.com

Also in 2007 the band got a surprise visit from Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin's lead singer and front man)! He came out and heard our group and stayed and danced the entire night and visited with us after the show and said how he hadn't danced in 10 years and how much he enjoyed the show and through word of mouth heard that he told several people how much he enjoyed the band! So, being a huge fan of Robert Plant it was one of those moments for the band that will never be forgotten!

...and this originally appeared on theadvertiser.com (Lafayette, LA)

Chance meeting leads to star's Carencro visit

Trevis R. Badeaux

Travis Matte couldn't believe it, either.

There, on the Wrangler's dance floor, was Robert Plant dancing to Matte and his Zydeco Kingpins. In Carencro.

"Our band was in awe and could not believe that the singer for the biggest rock band ever was actually sitting in Wrangler's to hear the Zydeco Kingpins! … He was a very humble guy and gave us great advice on our band, and I still didn't sleep since then!" Matte writes on his Web site, www.travismatte.com.

On Thursday, Matte, 33, still was astonished at the chance meeting with the former Led Zeppelin frontman that began with an April 21 trip to New Orleans to hear Plant sing at Tipitina's.

Plant was in New Orleans during the weekend recording his contribution to a Fats Domino tribute, according to Dean Howard with The Tipitina's Foundation, which is heading up the project.

The renowned singer jumped on stage at Tipitina's on April 21 to perform three impromptu songs with the Soweto Gospel Choir, the South African group that performed April 22 at the Heymann Performing Arts Center.

"Just the chance to hear him sing one song was worth the drive," Matte said.

A friend told Matte to leave Plant's name at the door at Wrangler's the following evening because the legendary rock singer would be interested in seeing him perform.

"I was like, yeah. Right. Robert Plant at Wrangler's in Carencro. That'll be the day," Matte said.

The next night, Matte was in the middle of performing when he noticed Plant dancing on the dance floor.

"I wanted to say on the mic, 'Robert Plant's in the house!,' but you can't do that," he said.

Just when Matte could not fathom his luck improving any further, Plant stuck around until the end of the set to shake his hand and offer advice.

Plant told Matte he had great potential to break out of the local music scene.

"He said he could see younger crowds digging what we're doing. He was really encouraging, said we had great original tunes. That's the biggest compliment I ever got," Matte said.

Alleged Robert Plant sightings have been reported this week at the Blue Moon Saloon, El Sido's and other local night spots.

However, Matte said there's nothing to the rumors.

"He left a few days ago," Matte said. "He's gone."

----------------------------------------------------------------

This From The Independent Weekly (September 25, 2007)

20070926-living-0101.jpg

A collaboration between Lafayette's Lil' Band O' Gold and legendary

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant is a highlight of a new

Fats Domino tribute CD.

Hail the Fat Man

Acadiana music circles were buzzing in late April because the Golden God was in town. He ate crawfish at McGee's Landing in Henderson, had dinner at Charley G's, popped into Dwyer's one morning, visited La Louisianne recording studio and checked out Travis Matte at Wrangler's in Carencro.

There was one reason for legendary Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant's extended Acadiana tour: Fats Domino. Plant and the Lafayette swamp pop supergroup Lil' Band O' Gold had just wrapped up recording a version of Domino's "It Keeps Raining" for Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino, a two-CD homage that hits stores this week. Goin' Home features Domino tracks played by heavyweights such as Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Elton John, Neil Young and the cream of the crop of New Orleans music royalty ' but "It Keeps Raining" has been chosen as the first single released from the album.

"It was certainly a career highlight for me," says LBOG's C.C. Adcock, who co-produced "It Keeps Raining" with Plant. "Culturally and musically, it was nice to have it come full circle. There have been lots of people who have always tried to define what swamp pop is, and [LBOG singer/drummer] Warren Storm always says, 'It's Fats Domino music.'"

The Plant/LBOG partnership clicked in just one day of fruitful recording, with the 70-year-old Storm providing a first-generation link to Domino's unprecedented impact on contemporary American music. "Warren had literally been practicing his whole life for that afternoon, and it was a really perfect fit," says Adcock. "And then to realize besides our own little pocket, Fats helped create things like Led Zeppelin. To realize what a profound effect that man and his music had, maybe even unknowingly, on the future of modern music ' Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were completely influenced by early rock and roll like Fats Domino, and then you think about all the modern bands influenced by Led Zeppelin, and the whole rock 'n' roll thing starts with Fats."

Edited by SteveAJones

When the first Firm album came out, did Atlantic publicize that "Midnight Moonlight" was an unrecorded Zep song ("Swan Song"), or did people find out from word of mouth, interviews, etc.?

Both Jimmy and Robert mentioned it personally to fans including myself prior to the release of the album, Robert was initially upset about it as the piece had always been intended to be Zeppelin's magnum opus, but as he was pursuing his own solo career at the time, it was a difficult complaint to make. ;)

Both Jimmy and Robert mentioned it personally to fans including myself prior to the release of the album, Robert was initially upset about it as the piece had always been intended to be Zeppelin's magnum opus, but as he was pursuing his own solo career at the time, it was a difficult complaint to make. wink.gif

Hello Knebby...as you know, it was also performed publicly by Page & Rodgers six times on the ARMS Tour in December 1983, about two months after Jimmy claimed he and Paul had started working on it together, and nearly a year prior to formation of The Firm.

Jimmy Page & Paul Rodgers, 'Midnight Moonlight', December 1983

Hijacking a quote from a different thread (because I think it's more relevant for this thread):

If I'm not mistaken, Peter Grant did not hook up with the Jeff Beck Tour in the U.S. until later in July 1968. Peter was definitely with Jimmy when the both of them went to see Robert Plant with Obstweedle at the West Midlands College of Higher Education in Walsall, England on 7/20/68 (the same day that the Jeff Beck Group was at the Fillmore West in San Francisco).

And, even though there are conflicting reports, it appears that Peter Grant did NOT see John Bonham play with Tim Rose at the Country Club in Hampstead, London on 7/31/68. I remember reading somewhere that Jimmy called Peter Grant, who was in the U.S. with Jeff Beck at the time, afterward to rave about Bonzo's ability. Peter was shocked that Jimmy, a notorious tightwad, called Peter on his OWN DIME for once, so Peter knew Bonzo must have been incredible.

Following up on this old post.......in Peter Grant's last recorded interview, he states that he was in San Francisco with Jeff Beck when Jimmy called him to rave about Bonham.

Just one problem: Jeff Beck was in San Francisco from July 18 through July 25th, 1968. So if Grant was really in San Francisco when Jimmy called, then Jimmy must have seen Bonham at least a week earlier than previous reports.

Meanwhile, Chris Welch's "The Man Who Led Zeppelin" says that Jimmy saw Bonzo at the Marquee, which would correspond to July 16th. I am not inclined to put much stock into Welch's info (the book is riddled with errors), but it does bring up the interesting possibility that Jimmy and Peter saw Robert much earlier in July, then Grant flew to the U.S., then Jimmy saw Bonham on the 16th, then called Grant on the 18th.

Hijacking a quote from a different thread (because I think it's more relevant for this thread):

Following up on this old post.......in Peter Grant's last recorded interview, he states that he was in San Francisco with Jeff Beck when Jimmy called him to rave about Bonham.

Just one problem: Jeff Beck was in San Francisco from July 18 through July 25th, 1968. So if Grant was really in San Francisco when Jimmy called, then Jimmy must have seen Bonham at least a week earlier than previous reports.

Meanwhile, Chris Welch's "The Man Who Led Zeppelin" says that Jimmy saw Bonzo at the Marquee, which would correspond to July 16th. I am not inclined to put much stock into Welch's info (the book is riddled with errors), but it does bring up the interesting possibility that Jimmy and Peter saw Robert much earlier in July, then Grant flew to the U.S., then Jimmy saw Bonham on the 16th, then called Grant on the 18th.

Page, Grant & Dreja had of course met Robert Plant prior to Page & Dreja meeting Bonham and I thought we had consensus the date they met Plant was July 20, 1968? If so, it further narrows the possibilities.

Page, Grant & Dreja had of course met Robert Plant prior to Page & Dreja meeting Bonham and I thought we had consensus the date they met Plant was July 20, 1968? If so, it further narrows the possibilities.

The July 20 date has yet to be confirmed. Over in the Hobbswteedle thread, Blocoboy discovered an advert for a show on 7/20 at the Connaught Hotel in Wolverhampton. But that's not a "teacher training college", so it can't be the show where Jimmy met Robert. In fact, no one has come up with ANY proof that Robert EVER played at ANY teacher training colleges in 1968.

There's a gap in Blocoboy's research between 6/28/68 and 7/13/68 so I'm starting to think that the teacher training gig must have occurred during those 2 weeks.

Question -

We have found sources which have The Yardbirds playing July 7/8, 1967 at the Garden Auditorium in Vancouver, while another has those dates at the Kerrisdale Arena.

Any proof or info ???

Thanks

Thanks for the memory jogger. I had first become aware of this discrepancy back in 2001 while collaborating with author Greg Russo on the Yardbirds concert chronology in his book 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave-Up! (3rd ed).

I believe the chronology shows The Yardbirds performed two evening shows at Kerrisdale Arena (41st Avenue & West Blvd.) in Vancouver on July 7 & 8 1967. Also on the bill was Magic Fern, Painted Ship, Family Tree and Tom Northcott. As I recall Greg's source was a vintage promotional poster or flyer.

If those dates are correct, these would have the opening dates of the tour before moving east to perform in Wisconsin on Jul 10th. However, a few years after the book was published I found the April 22, 1967 issue

of the UK's 'New Musical Express' reported The Yardbirds were scheduled to perform at the Kerrisdale Arena

on July 31, 1967 and at the Pacific National Exhibition Grounds - Garden Auditorium on August 1, 1967. These

dates would have followed several in California, which makes more sense from a tour routing standpoint.

There is the remote possibility all four dates are correct, but it's unlikely they would have played the Vancouver

market four times in less than a month. I suspect there was a date (and possibly venue) change for one reason or another. At this point I don't know for certain what the right answer is, but perhaps now that this has been

raised in this forum we can get it resolved thru further collaboration. Ally in Vancouver may be willing to take the

lead on this one as a simple newspaper archive search should be all that is required.

Not sure about any July Vancouver dates, but they did play Vancouver in November 1967 (10th and 11th). I have an ad somewhere.

Here's a ticket:

post-5-126581792215_thumb.jpg

[click thumbnail to enlarge]

Sam, that is quite a find! Neither date appears in the published chronology and it falls squarely within a period of unconfirmed gigging in North America in support of the 'Little Games' album released in US, Canada and Germany on Nov 3rd (UK release was delayed) and the first single released Nov 10.

During the Summer of Love in 1967, Tim Burge was a Boss Jock with Vancouver's CKLG-AM.

44153-13494.jpg?size=620x400

Burge became a DJ and also assumed music director duties at the station, whose new DJs would include Terry David Mulligan, John Tanner and J.B. Shayne.

"It really was a wonderful time in radio," recalls Burge, now known as Pamela Burge. "It was free form. I remember Jimmy Page, then with the Yardbirds [and later Led Zeppelin] coming into the studio with his guitar and playing."

any more info on this Steve?

During the Summer of Love in 1967, Tim Burge was a Boss Jock with Vancouver's CKLG-AM.

44153-13494.jpg?size=620x400

Burge became a DJ and also assumed music director duties at the station, whose new DJs would include Terry David Mulligan, John Tanner and J.B. Shayne.

"It really was a wonderful time in radio," recalls Burge, now known as Pamela Burge. "It was free form. I remember Jimmy Page, then with the Yardbirds [and later Led Zeppelin] coming into the studio with his guitar and playing."

any more info on this Steve?

That feature story was presented previously in this thread quite some time ago but unfortunately no further details (or an audio recording) have come to light as of yet.

Thanks for the memory jogger. I had first become aware of this discrepancy back in 2001 while collaborating with author Greg Russo on the Yardbirds concert chronology in his book 'Yardbirds - The Ultimate Rave-Up! (3rd ed).

I believe the chronology shows The Yardbirds performed two evening shows at Kerrisdale Arena (41st Avenue & West Blvd.) in Vancouver on July 7 & 8 1967. Also on the bill was Magic Fern, Painted Ship, Family Tree and Tom Northcott. As I recall Greg's source was a vintage promotional poster or flyer.

If those dates are correct, these would have the opening dates of the tour before moving east to perform in Wisconsin on Jul 10th. However, a few years after the book was published I found the April 22, 1967 issue

of the UK's 'New Musical Express' reported The Yardbirds were scheduled to perform at the Kerrisdale Arena

on July 31, 1967 and at the Pacific National Exhibition Grounds - Garden Auditorium on August 1, 1967. These

dates would have followed several in California, which makes more sense from a tour routing standpoint.

There is the remote possibility all four dates are correct, but it's unlikely they would have played the Vancouver

market four times in less than a month. I suspect there was a date (and possibly venue) change for one reason or another. At this point I don't know for certain what the right answer is, but perhaps now that this has been

raised in this forum we can get it resolved thru further collaboration. Ally in Vancouver may be willing to take the

lead on this one as a simple newspaper archive search should be all that is required.

I'll look into it Steve but for the moment, I've seen listings for July7/8 at the Gardens Aud ( 2 shows each night ).

July 31 Kerrisdale Arena ( 2 shows ) and Aug 1 Gardens Aud. A pic of the July 31 concert poster confirms that date but as of yet, no confirmation of the others. Sams ticket stub from Nov 10 Gardens Aud clearly shows that they did play or at least were scheduled to play Vancouver that night but so far I've not seen any listing for that gig. Sgt Lewis is on the case biggrin.gif

Poster for July 31 Kerrisdale Arena

yardbirds_bob-masse72.jpg

Ad for the Nov. '67 shows:

post-5-126582977979_thumb.jpg

[Click thumbnail to enlarge]

I have another ticket stub and possibly another ad/review.

Thanks Sam ! Two nights in Nov. then. I'm wondering if the July 7/8 shows were not rescheduled for July 31 and Aug 1.

Thanks Sam ! Two nights in Nov. then. I'm wondering if the July 7/8 shows were not rescheduled for July 31 and Aug 1.

It's certainly plausible given the routing they did go with, and if Kerrisdale Arena was not available for the rescheduled dates it may explain why two different venues were used July 31 & August 1.

It's certainly plausible given the routing they did go with, and if Kerrisdale Arena was not available for the rescheduled dates it may explain why two different venues were used July 31 & August 1.

The link below has them playing the Gardens on the 7/8 as opposed to Kerrisdale Arena. I gotta figure that the 7/8 where rescheduled and that the Aug 1 Gardens show never happened either. However, there's no doubt that they did play Kerrisdale Arena July 31. Sams ticket stub from Nov is the one that's got me thinking. This link shows them at The Village in NYC on that date ??? Every other list I've seen shows them there too. Clearly, all the lists I've seen are questionable...lol

http://www.intheligh...ccyardbirds.htm

Here's another link

http://www.chromeoxide.com/yardbird.htm

Edited by ally