Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Do the members of Led Zeppelin hang on to to the gold/silver/platinum records or do they end up auction? If so what comes up at auction if you get my drift.

I don't recall seeing any gold/silver/platinum album awards presented to Page,Plant, Bonham or Jones up for auction.

Bonham had many of his displayed on the walls of his music room at home. There have been a few band-member owned items auctioned off thru the years, these come immediately to mind: the blue shirt Jimmy wore onstage at the 1979 Knebworth Festival, two or three of Jimmy's (offstage) shirts from the 70s, John Bonham's hat, John Bonham (worn) and Robert Plant's (unworn) 1980 tour robes, one of Jimmy's cars, some of Bonham's cars, Peter Grant's assorted household goods and furnishings. There are certainly other items but these come to mind.

I apologize if this has been posted somewhere that I overlooked, but when Peter Grant passed away (RIP), was their ever an official statement released from Jimmy, Robert and JPJ?

I distinctly recall a quote from Jimmy was published, I believe one from Robert as well. I will post it when found.

Both attended Peter's funeral service at St. Peter & St. Paul's Parish Church in Hellingly and the wake afterward

at Worth Farm in Little Horsted on December 4, 1980.

I distinctly recall a quote from Jimmy was published, I believe one from Robert as well. I will post it when found.

Both attended Peter's funeral service at St. Peter & St. Paul's Parish Church in Hellingly and the wake afterward

at Worth Farm in Little Horsted on December 4, 1980.

December 4, 1995

Found this, it says there is a Zep interview in the issue, know anything about it anyone?

image155.jpg

it54 April 11 - 24 1969: Art Lab-otomy ; an interview with Diggers spokesman Emmet Grogan called "There Is A Great Deal To Be Silent About"; Berlin – The Politics of Acid; Vinoba Bhave; "Nothing is Forever In History" by Herbert Marcuse ; Plug & Socket music section: Country Joe McDonald interview; Robert Plant / Led Zeppelin interview; Hard Meat; Edgar Broughton Band and Forest. John Peel's Perfumed Garden; Simon Stable; articles on 'Head Light' light shows and the Turquoise Pantomime. 28pp Garden; Simon Stable; articles on 'Head Light' light shows and the Turquoise Pantomime. 28pp

Also found this from this issue?

image151.jpg

The End and Led Zeppelin at Klooks Kleek

This one has Interview with Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

image159.jpg

Edited by Conneyfogle

Found this, it says there is a Zep interview in the issue, know anything about it anyone?

The good news is I've got all these issues of IT, the bad news is they're in an attic on the other side of the Atlantic! I may be able to be reunited with them fairly soon though, and if so will post what I find.

Thanks so much for these scans, Knebby! It's from Rock et Folk (Feb 1984) (France) and I have been searching for it.

This interview was conducted at one of the two Manchester Apollo gigs on December 9 & 10 1983. If someone could kindly translate the content from French to English we'll be all set. Otherwise, I will have to do it myself. Thank you!

My French is a bit rusty but I would be happy to take a stab at it if nobody else is working on it. Feel free to PM. thx.

I had a shot at it, Virginia, but it wasn't large enough to read it all. :( Perhaps you can enlarge it further.

I couldn't figure out how to enlarge it enough to read either unfortunately :( Knebby, if it is convenient for you to send a copy via email I will see if I can enlarge it (if so, I will send you my email by pm). thanks

Hey wondering if anyone has the bootleg of zurich 1980? Its consiered their best 1980 show except kashmir. I want to hear the kashmir so if anyone has a link thatd be great.

Conneyfogle has several posted on you tube from that event but I could not find Kashmir...maybe he has it?

Edited by Deborah J

Yah i looked at some of those. Anyway steve settle a bet me vs my dad. In cronological order not including session work it was the band he was in at

14, the band he was in at around 17 or so sorry i cant remember the names as they are not very well known, art college, the yardbirds, then led zeppelin. My dad insists that there was a band inbetween the yardbirds and led zeppelin. He says he read it on wikipedia or something. But is there a band that is mystery to me or is my dad dreaming? If there are any other bands he was with prior to zep please tell me! Thanks!

Yah i looked at some of those. Anyway steve settle a bet me vs my dad. In cronological order not including session work it was the band he was in at 14, the band he was in at around 17 or so sorry i cant remember the names as they are not very well known, art college, the yardbirds, then led zeppelin. My dad insists that there was a band inbetween the yardbirds and led zeppelin. He says he read it on wikipedia or something. But is there a band that is mystery to me or is my dad dreaming? If there are any other bands he was with prior to zep please tell me! Thanks!

No. Jimmy was in The Yardbirds until July 7 1968, then he spent most of the summer of 1968 planning for Zeppelin, which came together in August. He was not a member of any other group in 1968.

Yah i looked at some of those. Anyway steve settle a bet me vs my dad. In cronological order not including session work it was the band he was in at 14, the band he was in at around 17 or so sorry i cant remember the names as they are not very well known, art college, the yardbirds, then led zeppelin. My dad insists that there was a band in between the yardbirds and led zeppelin. He says he read it on wikipedia or something. But is there a band that is mystery to me or is my dad dreaming? If there are any other bands he was with prior to zep please tell me! Thanks!

The short answer is Jimmy transitioned from The Yardbirds directly into Led Zeppelin.

The one caveat to this is that JPJ did bring the other three into a session commitment he already held for PJ Proby's 'Three Week Hero' album prior to their Scandanavian tour and Led Zeppelin album recording sessions. This absolutely should not be miscontrued by anyone as an "in between" band. It was them - having already formed as a band - working together on a PJ Proby album session.

I've presented a brief overview of Jimmy's pre-Led Zeppelin band involvement and performances here:

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32752

Insofar as the naming/billing transition from The Yardbirds, to The New Yardbirds to Led Zeppelin I have already

covered that in this forum ad nauseum and I believe there is still at least one dedicated thread I contributed to focusing specifically on this topic. Entering "George Hardie" or "The New Yardbirds" in the search function should get you there.

As a by the way, have yet to see any irrefutable evidence to substantiate The Yardbirds performed in Luton on July 7, 1968 nor that Led Zeppelin really was billed on that one occasion as The Nobs.

Wasn't Led Zeppelin referred to as "The New Yardbirds" for a short period to fullfill previous obligations and commitments that Peter Grant/Jimmy had with the Yardbirds? Maybe that is what your dad is referring to, LedZep 101?

Not to start a semantic argument with you my friend, but I think you meant to say they were billed/reffered to as The New Yardbirds while fulfilling The Yardbirds' contractually-obliged Scandanavian tour arranged by Peter Grant. It wasn't necessary to do so, though most if not all of the promoters did do so to highlight new lineup.

Steve, do you have any information on why Tony Thompson was selected to be the drummer for Zep for Live Aid. He didn't drum for Plant on any of his solo ventures, so his selection is a mystery to me. Apologies if this has been addressed earlier in the thread.