Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve, perhaps you have answered this one but I am not going waster my time scrolling through 174 pages to find it. Why did Zeppelin stop playing Moby Dick in 1977? Did Bonzo get sick of playing it after 9 years?

Not trying to steal Steve's thunder here, but I'd guess it was a combination of (1) physical deterioration and (2) modernisation/streamlining of the set. After all, Moby Dick/Over the Top often lasted longer than certain punk bands' entire sets.

I for one was pleasantly surprised that there was no drum solo at Knebworth. I'd take 4 or 5 extra 'proper' songs over a Bonzo snore-athon anytime. Sorry, Bonzo.

Edited by Tripmender

Interesting, here's a little more

If you listen carefully, it sounds like the bootlegger carefully spliced the tape to make it sound like the kid was actually counting his ABCs just before the band plays.

Either way, I'm not sure if the timeline works for any of Zep's kids. If it was recorded in late 1973, then it couldn't have been Carmen Plant, Jason Bonham or Jacinda Jones (they'd be too old for their ABCs by then). Karac Plant would be too young. Scarlet Page would have been 2 1/2, which might work. Or maybe it was JPJ's youngest daughter, who looks about 3 years old in "The Song Remains The Same".

If you listen carefully, it sounds like the bootlegger carefully spliced the tape to make it sound like the kid was actually counting his ABCs just before the band plays.

Either way, I'm not sure if the timeline works for any of Zep's kids. If it was recorded in late 1973, then it couldn't have been Carmen Plant, Jason Bonham or Jacinda Jones (they'd be too old for their ABCs by then). Karac Plant would be too young. Scarlet Page would have been 2 1/2, which might work. Or maybe it was JPJ's youngest daughter, who looks about 3 years old in "The Song Remains The Same".

It does sound cut, I agree, I think the date is Jan/Feb 1974

I recall reading a bootleg guide somewhere (maybe it was Robert Godwin's Collector's Guide?) which claimed that this was taken from another band's bootleg album and that it had nothing to do with Zep.

I recall this as well, that it has nothing at all to do with Led Zeppelin (or their children).

Not trying to steal Steve's thunder here, but I'd guess it was a combination of (1) physical deterioration and (2) modernisation/streamlining of the set. After all, Moby Dick/Over the Top often lasted longer than certain punk bands' entire sets.

I for one was pleasantly surprised that there was no drum solo at Knebworth. I'd take 4 or 5 extra 'proper' songs over a Bonzo snore-athon anytime. Sorry, Bonzo.

Perhaps the band could have made the song shorter and maybe only do 5 to 10 minute drum solo. That wouldn't be so bad and then they could have left it in the setlist if they desired.

Hi Steve,

I don't think this has been covered before in this thread: I got to thinking about all the well documented bad Zeppelin live shows in America (Greensboro 75, Tempe 77 as examples), but I don't think I have ever seen anything written about what would be considered bad Zeppelin shows performed in England? What are your thoughts? Were there any considered to be bad live shows? I wouldn't think so, other than maybe the second Knebworth show, since Zep toured England when they were at the top of their game, and only had the two live shows in England post Earls Court 1975.

Hi Steve,

I don't think this has been covered before in this thread: I got to thinking about all the well documented bad Zeppelin live shows in America (Greensboro 75, Tempe 77 as examples), but I don't think I have ever seen anything written about what would be considered bad Zeppelin shows performed in England? What are your thoughts? Were there any considered to be bad live shows? I wouldn't think so, other than maybe the second Knebworth show, since Zep toured England when they were at the top of their game, and only had the two live shows in England post Earls Court 1975.

There are no recordings in circulation for many of their Great Britain gigs making it difficult to discern what the off-nights were and we can't rely upon the critics for objective reviews. I don't knock the second Knebworth date because although they weren't at the top of their game musically the spirit and intent was valiant.

Steve,

Do you know what year Big Head Todd and the Monsters opened for Robert Plant in N. America? I think it was 1993, but I cannot find my ticket to confirm.

Thanks, Dave

P.S. They were horrible!

Edited by 3hrsoflunacy

Steve,

Do you know what year Big Head Todd and the Monsters opened for Robert Plant in N. America? I think it was 1993, but I cannot find my ticket to confirm.

Thanks, Dave

P.S. They were horrible!

1993 ! That I can confirm....smile.gif

I have a quick question. I heard once on my local radio station, (Q107 in Toronto) that Robert Plant wept after watching the footage of the band at the Royal Albert Hall after it was shown at the DVD premiere. The station said/thought that it was because his vocals were so strong and he was overwhelmed. Any truth to that?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question. I heard once on my local radio station, (Q107 in Toronto) that Robert Plant wept after watching the footage of the band at the Royal Albert Hall after it was shown at the DVD premiere. The station said/thought that it was because his vocals were so strong and he was overwhelmed. Any truth to that?

I have seen that report circulating on the internet as well but I have my doubts about it.

The 1977 Mid-Tour Break

On April 30, 1977 Led Zeppelin set a single-act world record when they performed for approximately 77,229 at the Pontiac Silverdome. This was the last date of the first leg of their 1977 North American tour. It's known they arrived at Detroit Metropolitan Airport in Romulus, MI the day of the concert and took a chartered bus to the Silverdome, having declined the venue's offer to transport them directly to the site using helicopters. They arrived at the venue at 9:10pm and the concert ran 9:30pm - 1am, to include a second three minute encore.

The May 2nd 1977 'Detroit News' reported they were immediately flown toward their two-week break, however I have obtained a photograph which proves they remained in the local area for at least several hours following the concert. I am attempting to secure the release of all additional photographs taken by the photographer after their record-breaking concert.

1977TroyHiltonafterconcert.jpg

Robert Plant at the Troy Hilton in Troy, Michigan on May 1st 1977

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

"This is one of my favorite pics that I took at the Troy Hilton after the Led Zep show at the Silverdome back in '77. Got to hang out with Page & Plant that late evening. Bonham was totally messed up, resting his head on the bar downstairs, drunk as hell. What a memory; so cool!" - Photographer

Edited by SteveAJones

This may not be a real mystery, but rather some logical issue that I haven't been able to figure out yet:

I bought The Complete Led Zeppelin off iTunes and I was wondering why the display on the iPod for some select songs isn't the normal cover sleeve, but rather the black Complete Led Zeppelin cover sleeve instead. For example, "What Is and What Should Never Be," "Bring it on Home," "For Your Life," have that black sleeve with their symbols rather than the LZII and Presence covers. Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

This may not be a real mystery, but rather some logical issue that I haven't been able to figure out yet:

I bought The Complete Led Zeppelin off iTunes and I was wondering why the display on the iPod for some select songs isn't the normal cover sleeve, but rather the black Complete Led Zeppelin cover sleeve instead. For example, "What Is and What Should Never Be," "Bring it on Home," "For Your Life," have that black sleeve with their symbols rather than the LZII and Presence covers. Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking the iTunes cover art gallery leaves a lot to be desired.

If you are looking for a solution, Tuneup Media may be for you. It only takes two seconds for Tuneup Media to analyze the first few moments of a song before it matches it to information on its vast database. With it, you can easily get your iTunes tags fixed, recover omitted song titles and album names as well as find your missing iTunes cover art. It cost $29.95. You will no longer have to suffer the embarrassment of having little or no cover art for your iTunes Cover Flow display. You will never have to endure having problems with missing or mismatched song titles or unknown album names. Tuneup Media solves all of these complicated and annoying problems for you in just a matter of a few clicks.

If you are still apprehensive about the background and reputation of Tuneup Media try looking for product reviews. You would probably be surprised upon seeing the likes of MTV and New York Times giving this nifty little plug-in a round of applause. Yes, that's right. The NY times gave it a thumbs up for its ability to recover iTunes missing cover art, song titles, and album names, and so did MTV.

iTunes missing cover art is now a thing of the past because of Tuneup Media. You don't have to manually sort out your iTunes in this day and age. Let this application help you out and get you your dream organized iTunes digital media collection now.

If you would like to learn more about Tuneup than you can read my an in-depth review here: http://www.squidoo.com/tuneup-media-review

The 1977 Mid-Tour Break

On April 30, 1977 Led Zeppelin set a single-act world record when they performed for approximately 77,229 at the Pontiac Silverdome. This was the last date of the first leg of their 1977 North American tour. It's known they arrived at Detroit Metropolitan Airport in Romulus, MI the day of the concert and took a chartered bus to the Silverdome, having declined the venue's offer to transport them directly to the site using helicopters. They arrived at the venue at 9:10pm and the concert ran 9:30pm - 1am, to include a second three minute encore.

The May 2nd 1977 'Detroit News' reported they were immediately flown toward their two-week break, however I have obtained a photograph which proves they remained in the local area for at least several hours following the concert. I am attempting to secure the release of all additional photographs taken by the photographer after their record-breaking concert.

1977TroyHiltonafterconcert.jpg

Robert Plant at the Troy Hilton in Troy, Michigan on May 1st 1977

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

"This is one of my favorite pics that I took at the Troy Hilton after the Led Zep show at the Silverdome back in '77. Got to hang out with Page & Plant that late evening. Bonham was totally messed up, resting his head on the bar downstairs, drunk as hell. What a memory; so cool!" - Photographer

I always read that the "official" attendance at this record-breaking concert was 76,229. Not 77,229. I am pretty sure that 76,229 is correct becuase I have that number etched into my brain since I first read about this concert more than 20 years ago. 76,229 is the official number but who knows how many other people managed to obtain entry to this concert. I do not know the exact number of seats the Pontiac Silverdome actually held, but I would not be surprised if the figure was not higher than the official count. Probably or possibly over 80,000?

Edited by lzzoso