Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

Found this on a Badfinger site, any info??

The Iveys

September 6, 1969 (Sunday)

City Hall

Wuppertall, Germany

with The New Yardbirds (Led Zeppelin)

Pete Ham's fuzz box was stolen

They must mean 1968.

Can't imagine them playing their first ever gig in the middle of Germany, they day before their first credited gigs in Denmark.

They must mean 1968.

Can't imagine them playing their first ever gig in the middle of Germany, they day before their first credited gigs in Denmark.

yes well the first gig was 7th Sept 68, so erm hmmm no Yardbirds gigs on the day before and nothing listed for '69'

Found this on a Badfinger site, any info??

The Iveys

September 6, 1969 (Sunday)

City Hall

Wuppertall, Germany

with The New Yardbirds (Led Zeppelin)

Pete Ham's fuzz box was stolen

This subtle insinuation that Page stole Pete Ham's fuzzbox seems to be someone's attempt at humor, If this gig and/or incident really happened it certainly did not involve The New Yardbirds.

I note that the band played in Boston on the 29th, but is listed here at Filmore East, any reason for the swap or is it yet another misinfo?

29 May 1969 Led Zeppelin, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie

30 May 1969 Led Zeppelin, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie

31 May 1969 Led Zeppelin, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie

Link to source

Source site

I note that the band played in Boston on the 29th, but is listed here at Filmore East, any reason for the swap or is it yet another misinfo?

29 May 1969 Led Zeppelin, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie

30 May 1969 Led Zeppelin, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie

31 May 1969 Led Zeppelin, Woody Herman & His Orchestra, Delaney & Bonnie

Link to source

Source site

The original handbill for the May 1969 Fillmore East shows included 3 dates (May 29, 30, & 31). The Boston Tea Party contract dated 5/6/69 listed the three Boston dates as 5/26, 5/27/ & 5/28. The band ultimately revised the schedule to play just two dates (4 total shows) in NYC (5/30 & 5/31), and moved the beginning of their three-day stint in Boston back a day, and actually played Boston on 5/29.

Edited by mikezep61

Steve, excluding Jason, do/did Led Zeppelin have real estate holdings in the United States?

A search turned up nada.

(If this has been covered previously, you may throw a brick through one of my windows. pm me for address.)

Steve, excluding Jason, do/did Led Zeppelin have real estate holdings in the United States?

A search turned up nada.

(If this has been covered previously, you may throw a brick through one of my windows. pm me for address.)

A house (perhaps two separate houses) were leased for Jimmy and Robert in the Malibu Beach Colony in Autumn 1975.

Jimmy purchased a home on Jupiter Island, FL circa 1991 (it became his primary residence for about four years) and leased an apartment in Ft. Lauderdale from December 1999 - 2000.

Robert allegedly purchased or leased a house in New Mexico state in the mid 90s but I have been unable to substantiate that beyond a reasonable doubt and personally find it to be unlikely.

I've heard Peter Grant may have briefly owned a home in the vicinity of Long Island, NY in the mid-70s but I have been unable to substantiate that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Interesting Atlantic promotional LP from 1970.... "Perfumed Garden"

post-5-046315800 1284910171_thumb.jpg

[click to view]

Have never seen a copy until now. Presumably a US release and incredibly rare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFUMED-GARDEN-Various-Rockers-/260630805606?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3caece7c66

Buy It Now for $35

TRACKLISTING:

SIDE 1

1. LED ZEPPELIN – Immigrant Song

2. IRON BUTTERFLY – Easy Rider

3. CACTUS - Let me swin

4. BLUES IMAGE - Love is the Answer

5. COLD BLOOD - Shop Talk

6. HAMMER - Tuane

7. DADA - Big Dipper

SIDE 2

1. COWBOY - Livin` in the Country

2. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND – Who loves the sun

3. HIGH MOUNTAIN HOEDOWN – Pickin` Berries

4. DELANEY & BONNIE - God knows I love you

5. JESSE DAVIS - Crazy Love

6. ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND – Revival

7. YES - Then

NICE tracklisting!

Steve, I was wondering if anyone in the band ever had "regular" jobs before music like the rest of us? My apologies if this has been previously covered.

Steve, I was wondering if anyone in the band ever had "regular" jobs before music like the rest of us? My apologies if this has been previously covered.

Yes, Robert and Bonzo held "regular" jobs. Robert was employed on a roadway construction crew. I believe Bonzo worked briefly in a clothing store and he also used to assist his father, Jack, who was in construction. If I'm not mistaken some of the fantasy segments of Bonzo in the film TSRTS were shot at one of his father's building sites. Of couse Bonzo had become rather famous by then and was just clowning around. Jimmy may have had a paper route in his early teens as I seem to recall him saying he used his earnings to purchase a guitar.

Very interesting Steve!! thanks for the quick reply.

"I can't be a panto artist, I'm not a 'Best-Of' type of guy. And if that's the only way to turn a dollar, or waste your time, y'know, I'd go back to tarmac laying. I once tarmaced the drive of Mandy Rice-Davis' school…"* Robert Plant interviewed on BBC Radio WM, April 2005.

*Footnote: Mandy Rice-Davis was a Birmingham girl involved in the Profumo scandal of 1963, when the Minister of War in the Tory government resigned after lying to Parliament about his involvement with a teenage topless dancer and call girl who was also seeing a KGB agent and Soviet Naval attache.

The name of the construction company Robert was employed with (circa '66-'67) for "only a few tuppences an hour" was Wimpey, owned by house-builder George Wimpey.

Robert was also employed at Woolworth's in Halesowen, but he found it to be "mind-numbing and tedious".

Finally, Robert worked as a production control manager in a steel factory but got fired after a mix-up. "I ordered enough steel to keep three factories going for about a year", he said.

Edited to add this from Jimmy Page:

“I don't think my parents understood at all what I was doing, but they certainly didn't sabotage any of it. My dad bought me my first guitar, which was an acoustic. After that I wanted to pay for my own, so I got a paper route and got an electric one.” - Jimmy Page, August 2009

Edited by SteveAJones

I've heard Peter Grant may have briefly owned a home in the vicinity of Long Island, NY in the mid-70s but I have been unable to substantiate that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Being from Long Island, NY, there's a local urban legend I remember hearing as a teenager that involved a limo pulling up to a kid and somebody with long, curly blond hair flipping a coin to the kid and saying, "here's a silver dollar from Led Zeppelin," before driving off. Supposedly this took place in Belle Terre, a wealthy community on the north shore and also right next to Port Jefferson where Foghat had a recording studio for a time. More recently, and possibly still, Ritchie Blackmore has lived in the area.

"I can't be a panto artist, I'm not a 'Best-Of' type of guy. And if that's the only way to turn a dollar, or waste your time, y'know, I'd go back to tarmac laying. I once tarmaced the drive of Mandy Rice-Davis' school…"* – Robert Plant interviewed on BBC Radio WM, April 2005.

*Footnote: Mandy Rice-Davis was a Birmingham girl involved in the Profumo scandal of 1963, when the Minister of War in the Tory government resigned after lying to Parliament about his involvement with a teenage topless dancer and call girl who was also seeing a KGB agent and Soviet Naval attache.

The name of the construction company Robert was employed with (circa '66-'67) for "only a few tuppences an hour" was Wimpey, owned by house-builder George Wimpey.

Robert was also employed at Woolworth's in Halesowen, but he found it to be "mind-numbing and tedious".

Finally, Robert worked as a production control manager in a steel factory but got fired after a mix-up. "I ordered enough steel to keep three factories going for about a year", he said.

Edited to add this from Jimmy Page:

“I don't think my parents understood at all what I was doing, but they certainly didn't sabotage any of it. My dad bought me my first guitar, which was an acoustic. After that I wanted to pay for my own, so I got a paper route and got an electric one.” - Jimmy Page, August 2009

Great info Steve as usual and very interesting. Thanks!

How the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Came to Be In Cleveland

by Tom Gorman

The next induction ceremony in Cleveland will take place in 2012.

Getting the Rock Hall built in Cleveland was a victory that wouldn't have happened without two unsung heroes.

Long before the campaigns, polls, and petition drives, he made the city's shot possible. His name appears in no histories and most Clevelander's wouldn't recognize it: Edgar S. Spizel.

We knew him as Eddie Spizel, an advertising guy whose agency represented Cook-United, the company that owned Uncle Bill's and J.P. Snodgrass. When Cook-United folded, he left town, moved to San Francisco, and built a successful agency there.

I hadn't seen him for years and was surprised when he called in 1984. Bill Graham, the famed rock promoter, was planning to build a rock & roll hall of fame in San Francisco, near Ghiradelli Square, which would honor mostly Bay Area performers.

He said he was coming to town and I set up a meeting of the minds, which included Denny Sanders, Kid Leo, and Bill Smith. To counter Graham's plans, we'd need the support of the music industry, specifically the labels.

GrantwithAtlanticGMGreenbergSeniorVPTuncErim.jpg

Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant converses with Atlantic

Records General Manager Jerry Greenberg and Senior

Vice President Tunc Erim

Enter the second unsung hero of the Rock Hall – Tunc Erim. He was head of promotion and marketing at Atlantic Records and right hand to Ahmet Ertegun, the label's founder. Tunc, a good friend and a wonderful guy with a thick Turkish accent knew Cleveland well. He knew it as a rock and roll city and was an ardent supporter of WMMS and loved going to Cleveland concerts and rock clubs.

I called him and explained the situation Spizel described – and asked him if he could get Ahmet's opinion.

"It's funny you bring this up, Erim said, "because Ahmet is starting a rock and roll hall of fame." He and Ertegun had picked out a site in Manhattan, and the mayor, Ed Koch, was arranging a tax abatement. Ertegun planned to house exhibits, a library, and historical artifacts in the building, and to hold induction ceremonies. He had set up a foundation for it back in 1983.

And it would be in New York unless – what? "Tunc," I said, "if it's in New York, it's just another building. If you put it in Cleveland, it's going to be a centerpiece. It's going to be the focal point."

He said he'd talk to Ertegun. He called back the following day and said. "Ahmet has one question: What will Cleveland do for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Our listeners provided the answer.

The complete story is in The Buzzard, Chapter 21 – The Rock Stops Here: http://buzzardbook.w...-photos/page/5/

Current Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Exhibits on Display in Cleveland:

201009RockHallofFame1.jpg

Led Zeppelin - John Paul Jones 1973 stage-worn clothing

Photo Credit: Fritz

201009RockHallofFame2.jpg

Led Zeppelin - John Paul Jones bass

Photo Credit: Fritz

Edited by SteveAJones

Jason Bonham Jamming with Whitesnake

I'm seeking to confirm the specific date, venue and location of Jason's jam with Whitesnake mentioned in the article below. I have confirmed the song was 'Ready An' Willing' and that it occured during their 1983 tour, however I have found no recordings, photographs, ticket stubs or press coverage to further substantiate this. Perhaps an avid Whitesnake enthusiast will see this post and be able to assist further.

Jason Bonham Jamming with Led Zeppelin

I'm seeking clarification of the comment in the same article below concerning Jason jamming with Led Zeppelin in the studio while they were recording 'Presence'. Does he mean he joined them in Sep/Oct '75 while they were rehearsing in Hollywood at Studio Instrument Rentals (SIR) Studios (6465 Sunset Boulevard 90028) or did he join them in Munich at the Arabella Hotel - Musicland Studios sometime between November 9-26 1975?

199005FacesRocks1.jpg

Faces Rocks! (May 19990) (USA)

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve - Jason, Rex, Robert, Maureen and Carmen attended a Whitesnake gig in Birmingham in December 1982 and an after show get-together at the hotel for Cozy Powell's 35th birthday, though that wasn't the "jamming" incident you are looking for . I can probably find out about the jam if you don't get an answer soon, would take a day or two though.

Edited by Knebby

Jason Bonham Jamming with Led Zeppelin

I'm seeking clarification of the comment in the same article below concerning Jason jamming with Led Zeppelin in the studio while they were recording 'Presence'. Does he mean he joined them in Sep/Oct '75 while they were rehearsing in Hollywood at Studio Instrument Rentals (SIR) Studios (6465 Sunset Boulevard 90028) or did he join them in Munich at the Arabella Hotel - Musicland Studios sometime between November 9-26 1975?

Munich

Many thanks, Knebby. I was aware of that public appearance at the Odeon in Birmingham in 1982 (apparently Carmen wore her hair in a short quiff and wore a 1950's dress) and the after-show but did not know which month nor where the after-show was held. So it was December 1982 and local hotel - got it! Should be easy for me to confirm the gig date now. If you should hear anything concerning Whitesnake's jam with Jason in 1983 please advise.

Many thanks, Sam. I think visiting Led Zeppelin in Munich whilst they were recording 'Presence' has got to be the coolest childhood memory anyone could possibly hope to have.

B)

Edited by SteveAJones

Would being there while recording PG be better? Although, it probably doesn't matter as you don't get to chose and just being there for any session would be amazing. Thanks Steve.

Would being there while recording PG be better? Although, it probably doesn't matter as you don't get to chose and just being there for any session would be amazing. Thanks Steve.

Speaking for myself I've always considered their recording sessions in Munich to be the most fascinating of them all, for as Jimmy Page stated so eloquently here was a band making a stand against time, the elements, chance, everything. Imagine

creeping down into the hotel's basement studio to find Led Zeppelin cooking up 'Achilles Last Stand' with a wheelchair-bound Robert wailing "Albion remains/sleeping now to rise again". Thirty-five years on such ideas still give me the shivers.

Speaking for myself I've always considered their recording sessions in Munich to be the most fascinating of them all, for as Jimmy Page stated so eloquently here was a band making a stand against time, the elements, chance, everything. Imagine

creeping down into the hotel's basement studio to find Led Zeppelin cooking up 'Achilles Last Stand' with a wheelchair-bound Robert wailing "Albion remains/sleeping now to rise again". Thirty-five years on such ideas still give me the shivers.

Well Steve, I don't think you could of summed that up any better! It would be very difficult to top that! Thanks and WOW!