Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Speaking for myself I've always considered their recording sessions in Munich to be the most fascinating of them all, for as Jimmy Page stated so eloquently here was a band making a stand against time, the elements, chance, everything. Imagine

creeping down into the hotel's basement studio to find Led Zeppelin cooking up 'Achilles Last Stand' with a wheelchair-bound Robert wailing "Albion remains/sleeping now to rise again". Thirty-five years on such ideas still give me the shivers.

Right you are, Steve. Fabulous imagery.

C'mon Robert. Put your pen to paper and treat us to *your* lyrics.

And encompass your words within a frame of heavy rock or precious metals.

Jimmy Page (The Yardbirds)

Lakeview Park (Green's Pavilion)

Manitou Beach, MI USA

August 10, 1966

Suburban-Detroit based journalist reports in the August 26, 1966 Detroit Free Press she "recently traveled 65 miles" to meet The Yardbirds and hear them perform. Based upon The Yardbirds tour schedule for that summer she must have attended their August 10th 1966 gig at Manitou Beach, MI which is about 95 miles from downtown Detroit. I hope to find more photos from this gig thru a formal inquiry with the Detroit Free Press photographic archive. This was Jimmy's seventh performance in North America.

19660826DetroitFreePressPg1of2.jpg

19660826DetroitFreePressPg2of2.jpg

Venue memories: http://www.waterwint...x?id=313&Type=2

Scans courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve, was there a Atlantic sampler record with Hey Hey What Can I Do, on?

My definition of a sampler album is one that features tracks from one or various artists new albums. I'm unaware of any featuring that track.

There is at least one Atlantic Records compilation album featuring that track and it is still relatively easy to find and affordable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Age_of_Atlantic

My definition of a sampler album is one that features tracks from one or various artists new albums. I'm unaware of any featuring that track.

There is at least one Atlantic Records compilation album featuring that track and it is still relatively easy to find and affordable:

http://en.wikipedia....Age_of_Atlantic

Thank You, I forgot the title but "Age of Atlantic" that is the one, Not very easy to find, when I tried to find it circa 1980-1 or the Japanese single

for that matter.

John Paul Jones' Celebration Day Secret

This anecdote posted elsewhere has been verified as authentic and it further substantiates John Paul Jones' Celebration Day secret:

I met JPJ a few years ago when he was in NYC doing a gig on one of his solo tours. It was after the show when a few of us went backstage to say hello. My conversation with him was short but a great one.I had just recently read a copy of bass player magazine before seeing him where he gave a lengthy interview (cant remember which one). In the mag he mentions again his contribution to Zep's music and some of the riffs that were his, like Black Dog, Good Times, the heavy riff in In the Light, etc. But what absolutely blew me away in the article is when he was telling the interviewer how he liked to play lap steel in his hotel rooms when Zep were touring. The guy asked him if he ever played it with the band and he said not really except for the recording of Celebration day on Zep III, the opening riff.

As a long time guitar player and Page fanatic my jaw dropped when I realised that what I thought was one of Page's most incredible and inventive riffs wasnt even his!!!! Plus that explained to me the unusual tone and playing of that riff on the album and what sounded like slide but not quite like playing slide on a standard guitar.

Anyway, when I met John Paul the first thing I asked him (I still couldnt quite believe it) was if that was actually in fact him playing the opening riff on the album. And he says yes it was. And I say you mean the very beginning with heavily distorted guitar? And he says yeah and starts humming the opening riff just to verify what we're talking about. So I said to him 'John, I am blown away by that. Do you have any idea how many guitar players out there think that's Jimmy playing that? That is an incredible riff and you're telling me its you and not him?' So he then gives me that sly smile and says 'Well now you know why Jimmy could never play it right live'.

It still blows me away. Of course I happen to love how Jimmy does play it live, but it sure doesnt sound like the album......!

Hello my name is Juanvi, I´m a drummer from Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain) John Bohnam is my biggest inspiration.Useless to say how i love LZ music. you seem to have a big knowledge of Led Zep, could you tell me please why during 75 tour they stopped playing the Wanton Song and When The Levee Breaks? Have you ever been to any Led Zep gig?

Thanks Steve. Wow, that's pretty amazing! Once in a while an unknown secret is revealed and that certainly a pretty big one! :thumbsup:

Hello my name is Juanvi, I´m a drummer from Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain) John Bohnam is my biggest inspiration.Useless to say how i love LZ music. you seem to have a big knowledge of Led Zep, could you tell me please why during 75 tour they stopped playing the Wanton Song and When The Levee Breaks?

The Wanton Song was dropped, possibly because they did not have additional musicians in the group to play any of the overdubbed guitar and organ parts that are featured on the studio recording. Perhaps they just felt it wasn't a good fit within their setlist. It's interesting to note it became a standard opening song during the Page/Plant era.

When The Levee Breaks was dropped because it was a very difficult song to play live. The studio recording was heavily produced and the tempo is only seventy beats per minute. It’s hard to maintain a heavy groove playing that slow. Also, it’s impossible to replicate the pitch-shifted timbre acoustically.

John Paul Jones' Celebration Day Secret

This anecdote posted elsewhere has been verified as authentic and it further substantiates John Paul Jones' Celebration Day secret:

I met JPJ a few years ago when he was in NYC doing a gig on one of his solo tours. It was after the show when a few of us went backstage to say hello. My conversation with him was short but a great one.I had just recently read a copy of bass player magazine before seeing him where he gave a lengthy interview (cant remember which one). In the mag he mentions again his contribution to Zep's music and some of the riffs that were his, like Black Dog, Good Times, the heavy riff in In the Light, etc. But what absolutely blew me away in the article is when he was telling the interviewer how he liked to play lap steel in his hotel rooms when Zep were touring. The guy asked him if he ever played it with the band and he said not really except for the recording of Celebration day on Zep III, the opening riff.

As a long time guitar player and Page fanatic my jaw dropped when I realised that what I thought was one of Page's most incredible and inventive riffs wasnt even his!!!! Plus that explained to me the unusual tone and playing of that riff on the album and what sounded like slide but not quite like playing slide on a standard guitar.

Anyway, when I met John Paul the first thing I asked him (I still couldnt quite believe it) was if that was actually in fact him playing the opening riff on the album. And he says yes it was. And I say you mean the very beginning with heavily distorted guitar? And he says yeah and starts humming the opening riff just to verify what we're talking about. So I said to him 'John, I am blown away by that. Do you have any idea how many guitar players out there think that's Jimmy playing that? That is an incredible riff and you're telling me its you and not him?' So he then gives me that sly smile and says 'Well now you know why Jimmy could never play it right live'.

It still blows me away. Of course I happen to love how Jimmy does play it live, but it sure doesnt sound like the album......!

My face is cracked from smiling after reading and rereading this post.

Who'da thunk?!!

JPJ perched on top of an even higher pedestal.

My face is cracked from smiling after reading and rereading this post.

Who'da thunk?!!

JPJ perched on top of an even higher pedestal.

It's amazing what you can still find out about the band after all these years. Perhaps, there are even more secrets about their recordings?

ehhhh superdave, you know what? My very first thought about this was they dropped the song because they were scared of people riots, because both song are really heavy and demolishing.

The Wanton Song was dropped, possibly because they did not have additional musicians in the group to play any of the overdubbed guitar and organ parts that are featured on the studio recording. Perhaps they just felt it wasn't a good fit within their setlist. It's interesting to note it became a standard opening song during the Page/Plant era.

When The Levee Breaks was dropped because it was a very difficult song to play live. The studio recording was heavily produced and the tempo is only seventy beats per minute. It's hard to maintain a heavy groove playing that slow. Also, it's impossible to replicate the pitch-shifted timbre acoustically.

I´m sorry, thank you very much SteveA.Jones

When The Levee Breaks was dropped because it was a very difficult song to play live. The studio recording was heavily produced and the tempo is only seventy beats per minute. It's hard to maintain a heavy groove playing that slow. Also, it's impossible to replicate the pitch-shifted timbre acoustically.

It's amazing what you can still find out about the band after all these years. Perhaps, there are even more secrets about their recordings?

If there are more secrets, SuperDave, I'm confident SherlockAJones will uncover them.

Jason Bonham Jamming with Whitesnake

I'm seeking to confirm the specific date, venue and location of Jason's jam with Whitesnake mentioned in the article below. I have confirmed the song was 'Ready An' Willing' and that it occured during their 1983 tour, however I have found no recordings, photographs, ticket stubs or press coverage to further substantiate this. Perhaps an avid Whitesnake enthusiast will see this post and be able to assist further.

Jason Bonham Jamming with Led Zeppelin

I'm seeking clarification of the comment in the same article below concerning Jason jamming with Led Zeppelin in the studio while they were recording 'Presence'. Does he mean he joined them in Sep/Oct '75 while they were rehearsing in Hollywood at Studio Instrument Rentals (SIR) Studios (6465 Sunset Boulevard 90028) or did he join them in Munich at the Arabella Hotel - Musicland Studios sometime between November 9-26 1975?

199005FacesRocks1.jpg

Faces Rocks! (May 19990) (USA)

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Well, there's two great tales I'd never heard before - Bonzo making his assistant carry a bag of rocks everywhere, and the clock going off near the end of recording Kashmir. Great stuff, Jason! More! More!

:lol:

Untold secrets are nearly impossible to find thirty years after disbanding, but pursuit of the obscure and the trivial continues.

Definitely! I hear you. I hope you're up for the task as usual! I have the utmost confidence in you. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

This contribution concerns posts #3022 & 3023 of this thread (dated December 19, 2009) and comes courtesy of kenog. This article confirms the origins and motivations behind Auberon Waugh's flat refusal to sell furnishings to Jimmy Page. Ultimately Auberon did offer furnishings at auction, pitting Jimmy against another bidder. I have sought this information for over a decade. I am profoundly grateful for kenog's dedicated independent research efforts.

19760116SundayExpressUK.jpg

Sunday Times, January 16, 1976 (UK)

Supplemental Feature:

Edited by SteveAJones

This contribution concerns posts #3022 & 3023 of this thread (dated December 19, 2009) and comes courtesy of kenog. This article confirms the origins and motivations behind Auberon Waugh's flat refusal to sell furnishings to Jimmy Page. Ultimately Auberon did offer furnishings at auction, pitting Jimmy against another bidder. I have sought this information for over a decade. I am profoundly grateful for kenog's dedicated independent research efforts.

19760116SundayExpressUK.jpg

Sunday Times, January 16, 1976 (UK)

Supplemental Feature:

SAJ,

You are very welcome. I was happy that your 'mystery' was solved. If only all Zeppelin related 'mysteries' could be solved.:beer:

Hi Steve i have one question.

Do you know if Led Zep and Black Sabbath jammed together and when it was?

Also if there's recording of these sessions?

Thanks

The two bands never jammed together onstage but did cross paths throughout the 1960s-70s. Just a few examples:

In 1965 The Rest drummer Bill Ward (who would go on to drum with Black Sabbath) was among those in attendance at The Wharf in Worcestershire, England for a gig that featured John Bonham on drums. Bill recalled "he (Bonham) had a pint of bitter at his feet throughout…"

Black Sabbath opened for Led Zeppelin at the Onodaga War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse, NY on Sept 10, 1971 after the original support act fell through. They opened for them again the following night at the Memorial Auditorium in Rochester, NY.

On June 26, 1972 Plant and Bonham (some accounts include JPJ as well) allegedly dropped in on Black Sabbath at The Record Plant in Los Angeles to check on the progress of Black Sabbath's fourth album and jammed on their new song 'Supernaut' (this was allegedly not recorded).

In my archive I have a September 1980 BRMB (Birmingham, England) radio program that aired to mark the passing of John Bonham. Ozzy Osbourne is among the many Midlands-based rock stars who express their shock, disbelief and sadness.

In his recent autobiography, 'I Am Ozzy', he reflects on Led Zeppelin and recalls socializing with Plant and Bonham through the years.

Tony Iommi has claimed on at least one occasion to have Black Sabbath rehearsal recordings featuring members of Led Zeppelin in his private possession but offered no specific details.

A bit more concerning the bonds between Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin here:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31385

....Search function results indicate nothing on this .....

Hippopotamus in New York City was a Euro style club that one member wrote in to say; "They stopped making clubs like this one a long time ago."

The following information on the Hippopotamus was provided by DiscoMusic.com member, "amilkman" on September 17, 2009:

The Hippo had two locations over the years of its history. The first one was on 54th Street between 3rd. Ave and Lexington Ave, where the Citicorp Building now stands. The 2nd locatio was at 405 East 62nd Street (not 61st St.) which is now an apartment condominium.

The owner's name is Olivier Coquelin a Frenchman whose name was synonomous with the early Jet Set era. Olivier attracted a clientele of the most important names of the time, Frank Sinatra, Mick Jagger and Bianca, George Hamilton, George Plimpton, Oassis, Roy Cohn, Alan Jay Lerner, etc.

Talk about bringing back memories. I worked for Olivier Coquelin for many years ...from the time he open the ‘HIPPO’ at the old Arthur location that had been run by Sybil Burton, ex-wife of Richard Burton. It was a wonderful job meeting tons of great people and my manager Jerry Love who was then head of a and r at A and M records. True Jerry did have a reserved booth at the Hippopotomus. At the 54th Street location his booth was right in front of the disco booth where Eric was the DJ. May a night Jerry would be there with Paul Williams the gifted song writer and now President of ASCAP. I became a writer with Jerry music company Love/Zager and co-wrote with Michael Zager. Had an instrmental on the Afro Cuban Blue Band ...a song called ‘Jerry’s Theme,’ yes named for Jerry.....

So I am currently writing an auto biography and came upone this site. The second location of hippopotomus was 63rd between 1st and York. Another interesting look into the past....before HIPPO there was The Salvation at one Sheridan Square. I waited on the Beatles there and Paul paid the bill leaving me a $100 tip. That was a great place...Jimmy Page came in, Jimmy Hendricks, Frank Sinatra so many celebs. Anyway Olivier recruited a lot of his waitress from there. Many of us went to Nepentha first.

So happy I came across this site...so many memories.

Barbara

Link:

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/1968_0_6_0_C/

....I think I just found the answer, Jimmy did go to the Salvation, this is when Jimi Hendrix was "Not so Well"....it has been answered...

Edited by PlanetPage

....Search function results indicate nothing on this .....

before HIPPO there was The Salvation at one Sheridan Square. I waited on the Beatles there and Paul paid the bill leaving me a $100 tip. That was a great place...Jimmy Page came in, Jimmy Hendricks, Frank Sinatra so many celebs. Anyway Olivier recruited a lot of his waitress from there. Many of us went to Nepentha first.

So happy I came across this site...so many memories.

Barbara

Link:

http://www.discomusi...e/1968_0_6_0_C/

....I think I just found the answer, Jimmy did go to the Salvation, this is when Jimi Hendrix was "Not so Well"....it has been answered...

^^^

Yes, that is further substantiation of the findings below posted to this thread on August 8, 2009 (Post #2723) and August 25, 2009 (Posts #2794, 2795, & 2796).

Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know.

-- Jimmy Page

--------------------

Steve A. Jones Notes:

I'm fairly certain incident occured in October 1969, as Led Zeppelin stayed in New York for several nights.

Salvation was located in Greenwich Village, as was Jimi's apartment, and he only played twice with Gypsy Sun and Rainbows following their Woodstock Festival in August. One of those gigs was at Salvation. Apparently, he was there quite a bit during this time.

Steve A. Jones Hypothesis:

On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. On the night in question, a stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since performing at Woodstock that August. His band is breaking up and he's now under new management. For these reasons he is not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

It seems highly unlikely Jimmy would have completely forgotten having seen Jimi Hendrix perform if he had,

especially since he recalled a momentary crossing of paths in a New York nightclub.

Page/Plant Play Irish Wedding Reception:

August 6, 1998, Drumquinna Hotel in Kerry, Ireland

Jimmy, Robert and Michael Lee join a wedding band bassist and keyboardist to give an impromptu performance comprised of seven songs at Page/Plant tour lighting designer Tom Kenny's wedding.

August 26, 1998, Point Theatre in Dublin, Ireland

Robert allegedly made an onstage reference to (Kenny's wedding) during the concert.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unanswered Questions:

Where was the wedding ceremony held and did they attend that as well?

What were the seven songs they performed at the reception?

Is there a recording of the impromptu reception set in circulation?

Are there any photographs from the wedding or reception in circulation?

What if anything did Robert mention about it onstage in Dublin later that same month?