Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Page/Plant Play Irish Wedding Reception:

August 6, 1998, Drumquinna Hotel in Kerry, Ireland

Jimmy, Robert and Michael Lee join a wedding band bassist and keyboardist to give an impromptu performance comprised of seven songs at Page/Plant tour lighting designer Tom Kenny's wedding.

August 26, 1998, Point Theatre in Dublin, Ireland

Robert allegedly made an onstage reference to (Kenny's wedding) during the concert.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unanswered Questions:

Where was the wedding ceremony held and did they attend that as well?

What were the seven songs they performed at the reception?

Is there a recording of the impromptu reception set in circulation?

Are there any photographs from the wedding or reception in circulation?

What if anything did Robert mention about it onstage in Dublin later that same month?

....I am not sure if you have seen this...

The tour has taken the band from clubs to arenas and even Kenny's own wedding reception, which took place in Ireland during a tour break in August. The rest of the tour's lighting crew includes crew chief Ian "Dobbo" Dobson, Icon programmer/technician Drew Findley, and dimmer technician Russell "Bits" Lyons. The tour will finish up in Europe this month.

link:

http://livedesignonline.com/mag/lighting_loading_everywhere/

A Fortunate Man

Nov 1, 2002 12:00 PM, Catherine McHugh

How One Thing Led to Another in LD Tom Kenny's Career

http://livedesignonline.com/mag/lighting_fortunate_man/

Edited by PlanetPage

....I am not sure if you have seen this...

Many thanks! I'd seen the first link years ago but forgot to right-click save. I've now done so for both links. I know the Kenny wedding was held in Ireland but I'm attempting to confirm the city and site as well as what, if anything, Robert said onstage in Dublin later that same month. All this had come up yesterday in a private discussion concerning another special occasion Jimmy attended in Ireland - the opening of a William Burges exhibition called "Conserving the Dream - Treasures of St. Fin Barre's Catheral" in Cork on October 6, 2005.

Edited by SteveAJones

I know the Kenny wedding was held in Ireland but I'm attempting to confirm the city and site as well as what, if anything, Robert said onstage in Dublin later that same month. All this had come up yesterday in a private discussion concerning another special occasion Jimmy attended in Irleand - the opening of a William Burges exhibition called "Conserving the Dream - Treasures of St. Fin Barre's Catheral" in Cork on October 6, 2005.

...this is all I can find further...

Later that year, after two tours of Europe and unbelievable tour of the US, I got married to my wife Laurie in Kenmare in the Kingdom of County Kerry, where — after a few days of celebrating and enjoying time with my daughter Aisling and my entire family of friends — Robert and Jimmy performed with a local band for the 80 people at the wedding.

It was amazing year for me with the start of a new life and the ever-stellar job I have as a lighting designer which has opened doors to Kings, Queens, Legends and Icons and that’s just the music business... I also have a few Presidents as clients.

Tom Kenny,

Lighting Designer

Where were you in '98?

http://www.tpimagazine.com/editors-choice/Tpi1998-2008/8834/where_were_you_in_98.html

......additional info..Possible Setlist...that I could find

August 6, 1998 - Drumquinna Hotel, Co. Kerry, Ireland - I've Got A Woman/Crossroads/Baby Please Don't Go/Rock n Roll/I'm Goin Down /Mystery Train

source Link:

http://robertplanthomepage.com/setlists/1998/august_6_1998.htm

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Q2vLCdjw9kgC&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162&dq=Drumquinna+Hotel,+Ireland++Tom+Kenny+reception&source=bl&ots=EiIwMVG-e8&sig=uUWarGqatWGYTWes5ukMjUh8q_E&hl=en&ei=3HnATJCiDZnLngeQmrHTCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Drumquinna%20Hotel%2C%20Ireland%20%20Tom%20Kenny%20reception&f=false

Edited by PlanetPage

...this is all I can find further...

Later that year, after two tours of Europe and unbelievable tour of the US, I got married to my wife Laurie in Kenmare in the Kingdom of County Kerry, where after a few days of celebrating and enjoying time with my daughter Aisling and my entire family of friends Robert and Jimmy performed with a local band for the 80 people at the wedding. It was amazing year for me with the start of a new life and the ever-stellar job I have as a lighting designer which has opened doors to Kings, Queens, Legends and Icons and that's just the music business... I also have a few Presidents as clients.

Tom Kenny,

Lighting Designer

Where were you in '98?

http://www.tpimagazi..._you_in_98.html

......additional info..Possible Setlist...that I could find

August 6, 1998 - Drumquinna Hotel, Co. Kerry, Ireland - I've Got A Woman/Crossroads/Baby Please Don't Go/Rock n Roll/I'm Goin Down /Mystery Train

source Link:

http://robertplantho...gust_6_1998.htm

http://books.google....ception&f=false

Outstanding! So the wedding was held in Kenmare, not Cork, which is apparently where Roy Harper resides these days. I note Kenny doesn't mention Robert & Jimmy having attended the actual wedding, nor Michael Lee having joined Robert & Jimmy for the wedding reception/celebration jam, though I was reliably informed Michael had joined them. I will reconfirm as much of this as possible to be true.

Edited by SteveAJones

All this had come up yesterday in a private discussion concerning another special occasion Jimmy attended in Ireland - the opening of a William Burges exhibition called "Conserving the Dream - Treasures of St. Fin Barre's Catheral" in Cork on October 6, 2005.

A brief clip of Jimmy's speech has been found:

Outstanding! So the wedding was held in Kenmare, not Cork, which is apparently where Roy Harper resides these days. I note Kenny doesn't mention Robert & Jimmy having attended the actual wedding, nor Michael Lee having joined Robert & Jimmy for the wedding reception/celebration jam, though I was reliably informed Michael had joined them. I will reconfirm as much of this as possible to be true.

....one more contact list, this is directly Tom Kenny Lighting Design:

http://www.kftv.com/company.asp?corporate-key=a5788105&search-location=gb

...hope this is helpful...

....tks. for the brief clip of Page so far....

Marilyn.jpg

This pic is recorded in the book called 'THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SONGS BY LED ZEPPELIN by DAVE LEWIS'.

The explanation of the pics are not recorded at all.

From the right side, Jimmy and Charlotte. This is correct.

But the woman with long hair who is standing on the left side.....who? :blink:

SOLVED

According to (name provided but withheld here for privacy) a close personal friend of both Richard Cole and the woman in question, the long-haired lady with her back to camera is Marilyn; she was from San Francisco and she had known Jimmy ever since he was in The Yardbirds.

Many thanks to kenog and the source for providing the forum this confirmation!

The Hot Dog promotional video. Why was it not included in the DVD? Was this not a actual pr video done by the band?

I don't think it was an official promo video, but I could be mistaken. There are a number of official and unofficial promo videos that were not included on the dvd.

It starts of with the words Led Zeppelin in a semi arc with the look that they used around the Knebworth shows with lights coming from behind the words, then into the performance of Hot Dog live at Knebworth, I am guessing the August 4th show, then it ends with a shot of the cover of the In Through The Out Door and the Swan Song logo in the bottom right hand corner. I remember reading that it was shown in record shops to promote the album. I do have the this video on VHS. I also previously posted that I had video of the Silverdome 77 show. I could not find that tape. I did find some other performances which I do not know where they are from. I need to get my lazy ass to make copies of these and pass them on to whom ever can decipher where they are from. Cheers!

It starts of with the words Led Zeppelin in a semi arc with the look that they used around the Knebworth shows with lights coming from behind the words, then into the performance of Hot Dog live at Knebworth, I am guessing the August 4th show, then it ends with a shot of the cover of the In Through The Out Door and the Swan Song logo in the bottom right hand corner. I remember reading that it was shown in record shops to promote the album.

Yes, I've seen it before but many years ago. I don't recall it ending with a shot of the cover and the logo but if so then it probably is an official promo video. I do recall official promo videos for Over The Hills And Far Away (1990), Traveling Riverside Blues (1990) and Whole Lotta Love (1997), among others.

Yes, I've seen it before but many years ago. I don't recall it ending with a shot of the cover and the logo but if so then it probably is an official promo video. I do recall official promo videos for Over The Hills And Far Away (1990), Traveling Riverside Blues (1990) and Whole Lotta Love (1997), among others.

As 1990 promo videos are mentioned when remasters came out, do you remember a TV spot at the time, of a shadow of a Zeppelin moving over

a crop circle then photos of each band member , only saw that once with no sound.?

Why did Whole Lotta Love promo (1997) come out that year, BBC sessions? not sure Steve.

As 1990 promo videos are mentioned when remasters came out, do you remember a TV spot at the time, of a shadow of a Zeppelin moving over a crop circle then photos of each band member? Only saw that once with no sound.

Why did Whole Lotta Love promo (1997) come out that year, BBC sessions? not sure Steve.

I don't recall seeing that particular tv spot but I'll look into it. I do recall and have two tv ads which aired to promote Remasters. They start with a voiceover (Alan Freed?) announcing that "Led (pause) Zeppelin (pause) Is (pause) Back (pause)".

Yes, the Whole Lotta Love video was produced to promote the BBC Sessions release. That same year Atlantic Records finally released an approved CD-single of 'Whole Lotta Love' where it reached Number 21 on the UK Singles Chart.

I don't think it was an official promo video, but I could be mistaken.

I believe it was an "official" video, in the sense that Atlantic sent video tapes to some record stores. But the video was never aired on any TV programs (this was in the pre-MTV days, when very few music videos were EVER broadcast on television) and the video pretty much disappeared.

I think

is it. I can see why they wouldn't have wanted this particular video to be released on the DVD. Or anything.

Thank you Steve. When you dated the promo to 1997 I was racking my brains as to why that year.

Just to clear things up that was the last promo released to date ?

It is the last full-length promo video they released. There have been a few television adverts produced, such as this one for Mothership:

Further to Tom Kenny's Kenmare, Co. Kerry wedding reception in 1998...

At the Page & Plant gig at The Point (now O2), Dublin in 1998, Plant made several references which went along the lines of: "Let's pretend we're all at a wedding reception in Co. Cork/Kerry/SW of Ireland" and like "it's a beautiful summer's days for a wedding in Ireland..." Stuff like that a few times throughout the gig.

It was initially a bit puzzling. "Another whacky Plantation." Until one figured out that it was some in-joke reference between Plant and friends.

The show, by the way, was ace. I'll always be thankful to the Italians right in front of me who kindly proffered me a doobie during the encores. Made Rock And Roll even more groovy, man. But of course, your honour, I didn't inhale. *cough*

B)

Steve,

During the Unledded sessions back in 1994 a number of songs were left off the original MTV broadcast, but included on the dvd release a number of years later. These included, "Levee", "WIAWSNB", "That's The Way" (included on the original cd) and "Rain Song". Do you know of any other songs that were performed and just left off the cd and dvd releases?

Steve,

During the Unledded sessions back in 1994 a number of songs were left off the original MTV broadcast, but included on the dvd release a number of years later. These included, "Levee", "WIAWSNB", "That's The Way" (included on the original cd) and "Rain Song". Do you know of any other songs that were performed and just left off the cd and dvd releases?

Tight But Loose fanzine #10 published in Sep 1994 contains moment by moment eyewitness accounts from both nights of filming. If I recall correctly there was at least one song they performed twice the same night ('That's The Way') but I don't think there were any songs omitted altogether from either the cd or dvd release. If I can dig out my copy of TBL #10 in the next couple of days I will post a more conclusive answer.

There are versions of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" (from the 8/26 concert in London) and "Gallows Pole" (from the slate quarry session in Wales) which have never been released.

Also, many of the songs are mixed differently on the CD vs. the DVD.

There are rumors that Page & Plant rehearsed versions of "Ramble On", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", "Night Flight", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Hot Dog", but I doubt that official recordings were made.