Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

There are versions of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" (from the 8/26 concert in London) and "Gallows Pole" (from the slate quarry session in Wales) which have never been released.

Also, many of the songs are mixed differently on the CD vs. the DVD.

There are rumors that Page & Plant rehearsed versions of "Ramble On", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", "Night Flight", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Hot Dog", but I doubt that official recordings were made.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

How many times did Led Zeppelin play in 2007. Once at the full house 02, once for a full dress rehearsal, anymore?

Thanks

The three surviving members of Led Zeppelin accompanied by Jason Bonham performed at the 02 Arena in London on Dec 10, 2007. Initial rehearsals began in June 2007. They were on and off, lasting approximately six weeks in total. Shepperton Studios was the primary if not only venue used. A full dress rehearsal was held the night prior.

--------------------------

"That first rehearsal this month was just amazing. It took us back to that first meeting in '68. So we decided to go ahead and we will be putting in some serious rehearsal sessions right up until the show itself."

"The only trouble we had at the first rehearsal last week was remembering in some songs 'did it go this way, or was there another chorus?'" "I don't want to be on stage at the [O2 arena] thinking like that. I want to be just so familiar with the material - so that we can give a proper performance rather than just remember how this or that song went."

"Initially I was invited to join in a memorial concert for Ahmet in New York performing with the likes of Ben E King last January. Then Robert let it be known that he would rather do something for Ahmet in England".

"Originally we were going to play the Royal Albert Hall, along with another night with some other acts. Then the Royal Albert was deemed too small and it moved to the [O2 arena]."

"At first, we would be playing 40 minutes, then it went to an hour. I was a bit reluctant along the way because I wasn't sure whether I wanted to part of getting that whole circus on the road again. But I was persuaded to try out a rehearsal to see if we really wanted to play together."

--John Paul Jones (June 2007)

--------------------------

"The hardest thing of having anything to do with Led Zeppelin is getting together and rehearsing without anybody finding out about it. We wanted to see how well we'd be playing together and once we played it was without doubt we wanted to do it" .

--Jimmy Page (November 2007)

Edited by SteveAJones

Popping the Cork on Jimmy Page / Jeff Martin Project ?

Last month in this thread we examined more closely Jimmy Page's personal connections to Ireland. Today I received this from Richard Allcock via For Badgeholders Only, The Led Zeppelin Mailing List:

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010

Subject: (potentially) interesting find - Jam session.........

Hi All,

OK, story time. Today's story comes from a young man I work with in Perth, Western Australia, who happens to have impeccable connections to the Perth music scene (It's a small, inbred place!). I have no reason to doubt his motives in telling me the story, but maybe we can do some fact-checking with the assistance of the list and who knows, maybe I'll be able to source a completely unknown, unheard recording. Ok, to the story.

Former Tea Party frontman Jeff Martin, spends a fair bit of time here in Perth because he married a local. He's forged links in the local music scene and is a huge Page fan, to point of name his son Django James Patrick. My young colleague tells me that in conversation recently with some Perth musos, someone played him a recording of a semi-acoustic track that sounded "amazing". When he asked who it was, he was told it was Jeff Martin, recorded in Ireland (where Martin maintains a studio), WITH JIMMY PAGE. Someone had apparently noticed this "old, grey-haired bloke, hanging around the house" and later asked Martin about the music he'd heard and Martin apparently told him it was Page. He then gave the guy a recording - I presume this might be a recording engineer who travels between Perth and Ireland with Jeff Martin. Anyway, my colleague claims to have heard this track (and makes no claim that he thinks its Page - he says he wouldn't know how to tell, which is very honest of him). He's going to go back to the guy and ask if there's any chance of a copy. Who knows. I'll post again if anything comes of it.

1. Can anyone reliably place Page in Ireland in the last 2 years. The song was apparently recorded in that period. I'm going to try and narrow the timing down.

2. Whilst Jeff Martin is a huge Page fan, can anyone point to any interaction between them? Didn't the Tea Party open for Page/Plant in the 90s in Canada?? Anyone know anything more recent than that.

Richard

-------------------------------------------

To which I replied:

I show Jimmy's last confirmed public appearance in Ireland was Oct 6, 2005. He opened a William Burges exhibition called "Conserving the Dream - Treasures of St. Fin Barre's Catheral" in Cork. However, I will forward a private email to you reporting a more recent unconfirmed citing in Cork.

Note there is also this from former Tea Party vocalist Jeff Martin in March 2006:

"Michael (Lee) and I spoke a couple of days ago to Page; he was in Los Angeles, and the reason being is because Michael and Jimmy wrote 16 songs together in a rehearsal space about a year and a half ago, and the purpose of it was to woo ROBERT PLANT back into the band, but Robert didn't really want any part of it. So I started to think about lyrics and vocal melodies for it, and after Exile In The Kingdom is said and done, we're probably going to put that together and maybe take it on the road."

I can confirm Jimmy was in Los Angeles from Feb 28th to March 3rd 2006. (Coincidentally, Robert Plant was also in Los Angeles during this time). However, the original Page/Lee rehearsal sessions were held from July to Autumn 1999, from which the instrumental track 'Domino" was spawned. Jimmy hasn't confirmed just how much, if any, writing and recording with Michael Lee was done after 1999 but Jeff Martin's comments in March 2006 suggest he believed there was some.

Michael Lee contributed to Martin's Exile In The Kingdom album, but sadly he passed away on November 24, 2008.

Edited by SteveAJones

...Jimmy Page / Jeff Martin...(April 2010)

LMM: I've read that you're lucky enough to call Jimmy Page a friend. Has there ever been talk of collaboration?

JM: There have been moments in the past, but the man is very busy and he's the keeper of the flame as far as the Zeppelin legacy is concerned. I just have all the respect in the world for him and he knows perfectly well that if he ever needed anything from me, it's just a phone call away.

LMM: You haven't been tempted to try and fly him over here for one of your own records?

JM: (Laughs) See, the thing about Jimmy now is that he's a big family man. So he's a busy boy.

http://lifemusicmedia.com/?p=8141

Edited by SteveAJones

Very interesting. Hopefully you can find out more specific and details of Jimmy and Jeff on this. You're a great detective so I think you're up to the task.

The Tea Party opened for Page/Plant in Canada and during the performance Jeff Martin bowed his guitar a la Jimmy Page. It's rumored Page was to have been Jeff Martin's best man when he married in 2004 but his schedule did not permit it. It is true Martin's son is named after Django Reinhardt and Jimmy Page. Some say Martin's comments in 2006 were nothing more than his using Michael Lee's previous connection to Page to generate interest in his first solo album. His comments from April 2010 that I posted earlier in this thread are non-committal regarding having ever collaborated with Page. I find it very hard to believe any of the principles involved - Page, Lee or Martin - would leak any recordings from the original Page/Lee sessions, but we'll see.

Edited by SteveAJones

I remember there being talk of Page, Martin, and Lee collaborating a few years ago, and I think I heard that Roy Harper had introduced Jeff and Jimmy as Roy and Jeff live near each other in the Cork area of Ireland.

Roy Harper & Jeff Martin did live near each other in the Cork area of Ireland for several years. Martin has since moved to Australia, but maintains a studio in Cork.

Could anyone confirm on what date in 1981 The Honeydrippers played at The General Wolfe Pub in Coventry?

Had a look on RP.com. and search engines and turned up nothing,

I believe the date remains unconfirmed, but as I recall there are photographs in circulation proving it did occur.

My notes show a December 23, 1982 gig at the same venue was cancelled, probably on account of ongoing studio sessions for his second solo album and/or Robert's reluctance to resume touring.

I believe the date remains unconfirmed, but as I recall there are photographs in circulation proving it did occur.

My notes show a December 23, 1982 gig at the same venue was cancelled, probably on account of ongoing studio sessions for his second solo album and/or Robert's reluctance to resume touring.

Steve, that December gig would be Tyne Tees The Tube show for new year (which was not broadcast!).The gig most have been before November 1981, I met a old college chum

yesterday, we both lived in the Midlands at the time, and were chatting about the local music scene and this came up. Is there a comprehensive list of Honeydrippers gigs?

Steve, that December gig would be Tyne Tees The Tube show for new year (which was not broadcast!).The gig most have been before November 1981, I met a old college chum

yesterday, we both lived in the Midlands at the time, and were chatting about the local music scene and this came up. Is there a comprehensive list of Honeydrippers gigs?

Actually that performance for The Tube was recorded June 22, 1983 at the Tyne Tees Television Studio in Newcastle. Robert did halt it's airing and purchase the mastertapes.

I agree that the General Wolfe Pub gig was in '81, probably between March and May. Sometimes it takes someone with a stub or an advert to confirm the date. That has certainly held true for some.

Myself and others are attempting to chronicle all of his post-Led Zeppelin performances and the findings thus far are here: http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30908

It doesn't show rescheduled dates or cancellations but I have them on file.

Steve, that Tube show was New Years Eve 1982 Robert pulled the show at last minute, knebworhbabe I recall had the full story

I would have thought Robert first shows post Zeppelin would have been big news, as I recall it was roll up pay your £1.50-£2. and hope for the best.

Maybe May -June 1981

Steve, that Tube show was New Years Eve 1982 Robert pulled the show at last minute, knebworhbabe I recall had the full story

I would have thought Robert first shows post Zeppelin would have been big news, as I recall it was roll up pay your £1.50-£2. and hope for the best.

Maybe May -June 1981

Hi Cecil - The Tube gig wasn't New Year's Eve, it was actually recorded for a "Midsummer Night's Tube" and SAJ is correct on the dates - we had a long look into this previously when I discussed my attendance with him and also posted my copy of a poster advertising the event. I actually once had a hundred tickets for that gig in my possession, can't believe I didn't even keep one of them!

Hope you're well ;)

QUOTE (Darth Zoso @ Nov 22 2007, 12:25 AM) post_snapback.gif

Years ago, I was once told that the band was to play at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena, CA but the show was canceled when Bonham passed away. True?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swan Song announced plans for a 33 date US tour on July 7th 1975; it would have included a performance at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena on Sat, Sept. 6th. However, as a consequence of Robert Plant's car crash on Aug 4th their rehearsals (to have taken place in France from Aug 10-20) were cancelled while all touring was postponed (and ultimately cancelled).

These dates were announced for the ill-fated first leg of the 1980 North American tour:

Oct 17 80 Montreal, Canada The Forum

Oct 19 80 Landover, MD USA Capitol Centre

Oct 21 80 Landover, MD USA Capitol Centre

Oct 22 80 Philadelphia, PA USA Spectrum

Oct 23 80 Landover, MD USA Capitol Centre

Oct 26 80 Richfield, OH USA Richfield Coliseum

Oct 27 80 Richfield, OH USA Richfield Coliseum

Oct 29 80 Detroit, MI USA Joe Louis Sports Arena

Oct 30 80 Detroit, MI USA Joe Louis Sports Arena

Nov 1 80 Buffalo, NY USA War Memorial Auditorium

Nov 3 80 Philadelphia, PA USA Spectrum

Nov 4 80 Philadelphia, PA USA Spectrum

Nov 6 80 Pittsburgh, PA USA Civic Arena

Nov 7 80 Pittsburgh, PA USA Civic Arena

Nov 9 80 St. Paul, MN USA Civic Center

Nov 10 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium

Nov 12 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium

Nov 13 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium

Nov 15 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium

And if I remember my advertisement history correctly, Whitesnake was going to be the opening act on that tour. How ironic.

Actually that performance for The Tube was recorded June 22, 1983 at the Tyne Tees Television Studio in Newcastle. Robert did halt it's airing and purchase the mastertapes.

I agree that the General Wolfe Pub gig was in '81, probably between March and May. Sometimes it takes someone with a stub or an advert to confirm the date. That has certainly held true for some.

Myself and others are attempting to chronicle all of his post-Led Zeppelin performances and the findings thus far are here: http://www.royal-orl...hp?f=11&t=30908

It doesn't show rescheduled dates or cancellations but I have them on file.

steve, i'm pretty sure i have a review of that general wolfe gig somewhere, i'll have a dig out. he played there a couple of times around that time. none of them were ever properly advertised as robert plant, gigs as such and were very low key. the local paper (coventry telegraph) used to make vague references to a possible show by him in their thursday music column. twice i went there on a suggestion and he didnt arrive. i think he also once got up and played with a local band, the travelling riverside blues band, there on a whim.

it was a great little venue. if there were 100 people there it worked, if there were 200 it was rammed. it was a very important spot in coventry in the late 70s and early 80s.

steve, i'm pretty sure i have a review of that general wolfe gig somewhere, i'll have a dig out. he played there a couple of times around that time. none of them were ever properly advertised as robert plant, gigs as such and were very low key. the local paper (coventry telegraph) used to make vague references to a possible show by him in their thursday music column. twice i went there on a suggestion and he didnt arrive. i think he also once got up and played with a local band, the travelling riverside blues band, there on a whim.

it was a great little venue. if there were 100 people there it worked, if there were 200 it was rammed. it was a very important spot in coventry in the late 70s and early 80s.

I would appreciate anything you can share concerning those performances. We have no confirmed details aside from a couple of photos with "General Wolfe Pub" as

the stage backdrop and even that is only if my memory serves correct.

I would appreciate anything you can share concerning those performances. We have no confirmed details aside from a couple of photos with "General Wolfe Pub" as

the stage backdrop and even that is only if my memory serves correct.

i found the newspaper cutting from the day after 1 of the general wolfe gigs. unfortunately theres no date attached. i'll be happy to send it to you if you want it. i'll do some researching on local sites to see if i can find any further info on the date of the gig/s as i'm curious myself

i found the newspaper cutting from the day after 1 of the general wolfe gigs. unfortunately theres no date attached. i'll be happy to send it to you if you want it. i'll do some researching on local sites to see if i can find any further info on the date of the gig/s as i'm curious myself

Yes please, absolutely. A scan posted here would be terrific. Alternatively I can PM my email address to you.

Hi Cecil - The Tube gig wasn't New Year's Eve, it was actually recorded for a "Midsummer Night's Tube" and SAJ is correct on the dates - we had a long look into this previously when I discussed my attendance with him and also posted my copy of a poster advertising the event. I actually once had a hundred tickets for that gig in my possession, can't believe I didn't even keep one of them!

Hope you're well ;)

I always get this shows air date wrong. for some reason, I'm getting old.....

Thanks Knebby...