Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve, could you date when the Tommy Vance Friday Rock show, played the bbc concert 1971 as a tribute to Bonzo?

Possibly Sept 26, 1980 (a Friday) but unconfirmed. I don't know if The Times (UK) online archives include the radio & television listings but I'll try to check. Otherwise this will just take someone pulling it up on microfilm at a UK library for confirmation.

Is there any mention (even a rumor) of these tracks being played live? It's possible either they were second encores and the tapers missed them or maybe the tapes didn't reach the public (or they were played at a show that wasn't taped). Can we take some of these off the list with reasonable certainty?

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Livin Lovin Maid

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Hats Off To (Roy) Harper

When The Levee Breaks (aside from the few 1975 performances)

The Battle Of Evermore (earlier than 1977)

Four Sticks (besides Copenhagen 1971)

D'yer Mak'er

Custard Pie

The Rover (complete)

Houses Of The Holy

In The Light

Down By The Seaside

Night Flight

Candy Store Rock

Edited by mrledhed

Is there any mention (even a rumor) of these tracks being played live? It's possible either they were second encores and the tapers missed them or maybe the tapes didn't reach the public (or they were played at a show that wasn't taped). Can we take some of these off the list with reasonable certainty?

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Livin Lovin Maid

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Hats Off To (Roy) Harper

When The Levee Breaks (aside from the few 1975 performances)

The Battle Of Evermore (earlier than 1977)

Four Sticks (besides Copenhagen 1971)

D'yer Mak'er

Custard Pie

The Rover (complete)

Houses Of The Holy

In The Light

Down By The Seaside

Night Flight

Candy Store Rock

Good Times Bad Times was performed during the band's debut tour of Scandinavia in 1968 and was occasionally part of a medley during the 6th US tour in 1970.

Your Time Is Gonna Come was performed a couple times during their very first tour only, and partially in some medleys in 1971.

Custard Pie - only snippets of the riff during Whole Lotta Love in 1972, and in 1977 a few riffs of it between The Song Remains The Same and Sick Again.

So far as can be determined these songs were never performed in concert by Led Zeppelin between 1968-1980:

Living Loving Maid

Hats Off To Roy Harper

Houses of the Holy

In The Light

Down By The Seaside

Night Flight

D'yer Mak'er

Boogie With Stu

For Your Life

Royal Orleans

Candy Store Rock

Hots On For Nowhere

Southbound Suarez

Fool In The Rain

Carouselambra

I'm Gonna Crawl

Poor Tom

Ozone Baby

Walter's Walk

Darlene

Bonzo's Montreux

Steve,

Do you have any info on the itinerary of LZ on their albeit short trip to Paris, France in June 1969 when the Tous En Scene was filmed? I've got some photos I'd like to place on this trip but I don't know the occasion for why they were where they were.

Thanks!

Steve,

Do you have any info on the itinerary of LZ on their albeit short trip to Paris, France in June 1969 when the Tous En Scene was filmed? I've got some photos I'd like to place on this trip but I don't know the occasion for why they were where they were.

Thanks!

Might want to check the "Timeline" section on this site for this.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/timeline/1969?page=3

Steve,

Thanks!

Paris, France June 19, 1969

Orly Airport - Arrived from London to appear on 'Tous En Scene'; met by executives from Barclay (Atlantic's French distributor)

Westminster Hotel - Checked into their hotel

Antenne Cultural du Kremlin Bicetre - Recorded a performance for 'Tous En Scene'...telecast on September 5th 1969

Radio France Inter - Radio interview for Jose Arthur's 'Pop Club'

Le Bilboquet - Group attended a reception organised by Eddie Barclay and they were to perform for television but couldn't get their gear in

Paris, France June 20, 1969

Orly Airport - Return flight to London and on to Newcastle for a performance that night

So i heard this story a while back when i was still getting into Zeppelin, and basically it said that during one of Zep's early concerts, the PA System died yet Plant was able to still audible over the other three instruments due to his large voice. Now, if this is a myth, then I know it may be dumb to ask this. But! Given that Plant's voice from 68-73 had such a range, I cant really doubt it too much.

Any confirmation on such an epic tale?blink.gif

So i heard this story a while back when i was still getting into Zeppelin, and basically it said that during one of Zep's early concerts, the PA System died yet Plant was able to still audible over the other three instruments due to his large voice. Now, if this is a myth, then I know it may be dumb to ask this. But! Given that Plant's voice from 68-73 had such a range, I cant really doubt it too much.

Any confirmation on such an epic tale?blink.gif

If I recall correctly Jimmy has said he distinctly remembers this having happened, but so far as I know the actual performance date, location, venue remain unconfirmed.

Some time ago someone inquired on where the rehearsals for the 02 show were held. This from "Big Mick" Hughes, who mixed the front of house sound for the concert:

Four weeks of rehearsals preceded the show. The first couple were done on a sound stage at Black Island Studios in London (where Hughes had an XL8 brought in). That was followed by two weeks of the fully staged set assembled at Shepperton Studios, a film sound stage in Littleton Park Manor, a 17th century manor house in Surrey, where the huge projection screen was set up, lighting was rigged and a scaled-back version of the PA was installed. "It was an army of lighting, video and laser guys in there."

As a by the way, in August 1974 Shepperton Studios was also used to film concert reenactments for The Song Remains The Same film.

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jun08/articles/ledzeppelin.htm

If I recall correctly Jimmy has said he distinctly remembers this having happened, but so far as I know the actual performance date, location, venue remain unconfirmed.

That's a Robert Plant urban legend that began in the Band Of Joy days and has been "updated" to have happened on multiple occasions, as to have been reported by Jimmy Page, crew members and members of the audience.

That's a Robert Plant urban legend that began in the Band Of Joy days and has been "updated" to have happened on multiple occasions, as to have been reported by Jimmy Page, crew members and members of the audience.

Yep. If you scroll through the Hobbstweedle thread, there is a newspaper clipping from 1967 which tells the same story.

Seems to me smoking had simply become one of many addictions he acquired as the '70s rolled on, and he continued to smoke onstage until the mid-'80s.

He smoked at the P&P show in 95 that I saw.

Thanks as always.

Next mystery question:

I read in one book, that when Bonzo jammed with Macca during the Rockestra sessions, Bonzo asked Macca about drumming for him.

Any truth to that story?

Wait a second. He could have purchased the master tapes for £3000, but instead he opted to pay £2600 just to copy them? (£2000 + 600 to rent the studio)

That's nuts. And kind of sad.

It sounds like he didn't want to buy them. There are inconsistencies in his story.

I read in one book, that when Bonzo jammed with Macca during the Rockestra sessions, Bonzo asked Macca about drumming for him. Any truth to that story?

I've not heard this before and though highly unlikely it's plausible Paul may have casually suggested the possibility of John lending his talents to him in the future. However, Paul's musical direction for his next album, McCartney II (released May 21, 1980) was New Wave and synth-pop, which Bonham seems to me ill-suited for. Four months later Bonham was gone.

• 3 weeks later...

To be a good little poster I will ask question here even though I wanted to ask in the tube thread. :unsure:

Was it ever said just what Robert's drink was spiked with in Vancouver or who did it?

*wonders if any Merry Pranksters were lurking about*

He still doesn't know who did it. :unsure:

To be a good little poster I will ask question here even though I wanted to ask in the tube thread. :unsure:

Was it ever said just what Robert's drink was spiked with in Vancouver or who did it?

*wonders if any Merry Pranksters were lurking about*

Hi Hotplant !

I've never heard and don't know anyone who has. As Knebby has stated, Robert doesn't seem to know either.

As I mentioned on the Tube thread, he seemed very tired right from the start of the show . I can only speculate as to why. It very well may have just been exhaustion but it has alway's been my opinion that whatever it was, it was there from the start . At the time, Vancouver's well documented reputation for crowd violence was a major concern and because of that, I happen to believe, rightly or wrongly, that the announcement of Robert being taken to hospital was as much a plea to the audience as anything else. I can tell you that prior to that announcement when the house lights came on, the crowd was about an inch away from tearing up the place.

Interesting. I don't think Robert wore sunglasses at Kezar Stadium. Besides, I'm almost positive Jimmy did not wear a bandana at any time during that gig. Please try to post

the photos again.

Edit: The Oct 1973 issue of 'Creem' featured Led Zeppelin on the cover, and the feature article was 'Led Zeppelin - Six Reasons Why They Are Bigger Than The Beatles'. I don't have a copy to review, but the reference to Beatles suggests record-breaking Tampa gig. Of course, this assumes this is the issue you are referring to.

Steve, I believe, that is, I remember the article 'Led Zeppelin - Six Reasons Why They Are Bigger Than The Beatles' as being published in CIRCUS magazine and not Creem. I had a subscription to Circus at the time.

I will say that is a shame to Circus that they did not get better and more pictures to publish of Led Zeppelin on Tour in ,73, 75, and '77.

When you look at how Circus magazine has covered bands like Slipknot over the years, with many, many articles and many, many photos through the years, the attention heaped on a band like that, as compared to what the editors gave one the world's truly great Rock'n'Roll bands, Led Zeppelin, is insulting, to this fan. Even if Circus couldn't get interviews as of ten as they'd like, they could certianly go to the concerts and report on them. It just shows how Circus was in some respects just one step above a publication like Hit Parader, imo.

----------------------------------------------------

I have a 1973 Starship Question:

When in 1973 did Zeppelin begin using the Starship?

In the Bonus footage found in TSRTS, the local news coverage of the 1973 Tampa event shows Zeppelin arriving in a small private jet, and not the Starship.