Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Possibly makeup artist Tom Smith, who applied the paint to the kids (this after listening to Stefan Gates' BBC doc). And I'm Really Out To Fucking Lunch, Oh Lord, over that acronym of yours, Steve. That's a mystery right there.

Sorry, Po is simply Powell's nickname.

Edited to add: ROTFLOL? Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

Edited by SteveAJones

Sorry, Po is simply Powell's nickname.

Edited to add: ROTFLOL? Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.

Yeah, I knew about Aubrey "Po" Powell's nickname. Perhaps he's an unlikely candidate as the HOTH gatefold man because he's Rather On The Fat Line Of Life.

According to the Stefan Gates radio clip, there was initially a whole family of people set to pose at Giant's Causeway (two adults and the two kids). Gates says they were sprayed with paint to achieve a luminous effect (which didn't work anyway, and the photos were tinted afterwards), and that the guy doing the spraying was the same guy who did it for the James Bond movie Goldfinger. Considering the familiarity of the cover image, it's surprising more people haven't asked about the identity of the one grownup among the two children.

If I recall correctly didn't the Zoso sigil make it's last appearance on the amp the first night? Or was it still on for the second?

Check out pictures from Dave Lewis' Knebworth book. The ZOSO sigil disappeared between the setup/rehearsal on Aug. 02 and the first show on Aug. 4.

You are correct - weird it is here (photo) for the soundcheck on 8-2-79 but gone for the first Knebworth 8-4-79. That still doesn't help me on what clothes they wore for the second night in Copenhagen 7-24-79. :(

1979-08-XX_RP_Knebworth_soundcheck_by_John_Harrison-11.jpg

Edited by DavidZoso

• 3 weeks later...

Question...Is there a list of ALL of the different instruments JPJ has and can play?

Probably not complete...but it's a start:

JPJ Gear

Bass guitars

Mandolins

• Gibson mandolin, used in live acoustic performances.
  • Andy Manson custom Triple Neck Mandolin, 12 string & 6 string acoustic (used in live performances)

Keyboard instruments

From Wikipedia...

post-16971-0-47388400-1303179335_thumb.j

Why were the France dates cancelled off the 80 Tour itinerary?

I show only one French date was announced and subsequently cancelled: Palais des Sports in Paris on Sat, June 14, 1980. Eight other dates were rescheduled after a promotional poster had been produced and tickets had already gone on sale to at least one of those dates (Brussels).

Intensive tour rehearsals which began at Shepperton on May 18th is the most likely reason. Rehearsals at The Rainbow in London had been held earlier that same month so the more intensive rehearsal sessions may have been unforeseen at the time the tour was originally arranged. Perhaps Paris was simply a casualty of the reconfigured routing but I don't know for certain.

I show only one French date was announced and subsequently cancelled: Palais des Sports in Paris on Sat, June 14, 1980. Eight other dates were rescheduled after a promotional poster had been produced and tickets had already gone on sale to at least one of those dates (Brussels).

Intensive tour rehearsals which began at Shepperton on May 18th is the most likely reason. Rehearsals at The Rainbow in London had been held earlier that same month so the more intensive rehearsal sessions may have been unforeseen at the time the tour was originally arranged. Perhaps Paris was simply a casualty of the reconfigured routing but I don't know for certain.

Steve , why did the 1980 tour reheasrals., move to another[ venue, did the fans get to hear of the Victoria rehearsals,,,, never understood that one.

Edited by Cecil.

Steve,

My CD jacket for the 4th album says that all songs were recorded in either Headley Grange or Island Studios in 1971, with no month/day mention. For some reason, I thought they came into those initial recording sessions in early Dec '70, with material ready to record. I was thinking they even recorded in December. Any idea of the 4th album timeline of what was created and ready to record first, of the 8 album selections? Thanks!

Steve, why did the 1980 tour reheasrals move to another venue, did the fans get to hear of the Victoria rehearsals...never understood that one.

First, a point of clarification - I just realized I had erroneously typed Rainbow Theatre instead of New Victoria Theatre.

The lease on The New Victoria Theatre changed hands in 1980 and the venue underwent extensive renovations - front of house redecorated, foyer chandeliers, new dressing rooms. It's possible this development necessitated moving the Led Zeppelin tour rehearsals to Shepperton.

Steve,

My CD jacket for the 4th album says that all songs were recorded in either Headley Grange or Island Studios in 1971, with no month/day mention. For some reason, I thought they came into those initial recording sessions in early Dec '70, with material ready to record. I was thinking they even recorded in December. Any idea of the 4th album timeline of what was created and ready to record first, of the 8 album selections? Thanks!

Led Zeppelin did initially convene at Island Studios in December 1970 to begin work on their fourth album…but failed to achieve results. It would take me some time to compile all my notes so suffice to say there are two books on this topic, 'When The Levee Breaks - The Making of Led Zeppelin IV' by Andy Fyfe (c-1993, Chicago Review Press, Inc.) and 'Led Zeppelin IV' by Barney Hoskyns (c-2006, Rodale Books) in addition to Jimmy's public comments in numerous press interviews.

First, a point of clarification - I just realized I had erroneously typed Rainbow Theatre instead of New Victoria Theatre.

The lease on The New Victoria Theatre changed hands in 1980 and the venue underwent extensive renovations - front of house redecorated, foyer chandeliers, new dressing rooms. It's possible this development necessitated moving the Led Zeppelin tour rehearsals to Shepperton.

Thank you, never knew about the Rainbow..

• 2 weeks later...

billboard_LA1972.jpg

What happened to this? I would like it in my garden

Most advertisements such as this were put together like wallpaper, meaning they were glued to the billboard itself. It would have remained on display for however long the space was paid for before being scraped or plastered over by the next advertisement.

I'm aware there was also a billboard promoting Physical Graffiti near the Continental Hyatt House and one promoting Coda near Tower Records on the Sunset Strip. Los Angeles remains an important market for billboard advertising.

Aug 25, 1994: London Television Centre - London Studios Limited (Upper Ground London SE1 9LT)

Recording and filming without orchestras in front of a select audience for 'MTV Unledded' telecast

Aug 26, 1994: London Television Centre - London Studios Limited (Upper Ground London SE1 9LT)

Recording and filming with orchestras in front of a select audience for 'MTV Unledded' telecast

Hi everyone. Long time lurker.

I have a question about this. I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for these two dates, having been randomly selected from the TBL subscription list (as I understand). It was an absolute dream come true, and I can believe that it was 17 years ago. That's now actually half my life ago!

Anyway, as I recall the orchestra were there on both evenings, certainly on the first night. The reason I can remember this fairly clearly is that on the first time it was played Jimmy had a disaster with the end of The Rain Song, which was fully supported by the orchestra. I was sat in the middle of the audience for this, which was definitely on the first night. They had a strict dress policy which forbade jackets so I was simply wearing a green short sleeved shirt. On the second night I just wore my black denim jacket after realising that they would allow it. Also I sat in an entirely different location. That may seem like a silly point to make, but it it how I can differentiate the memories for night 1 versus night 2.

If I recall correctly they didn't play it again until the following night, at which point everyone game a rapturous applause midway through the ending, once he had got past the problem point. Look, its possible that they played it immediately afterwards to rectify, but I can't 100% recall, but in any case I'm almost certain that this was on the first night with the full orchestra. The set list was largely the same for both evenings, aside form a couple of repeats here and there. I wish I had kept a journal, or at least notes, for something like this as my memory is clearly not up to scratch!

I originally hypothesized with myself that the reasons for its exclusion on the 1994 broadcast was that the version from night 1 had a duff ending and the other version had the ending drowned out by a load of cheering idiots :-)

Can anyone else confirm or shoot down my memories?

In any case two absolutely fantastic days in London.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker.

I have a question about this. I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for these two dates, having been randomly selected from the TBL subscription list (as I understand). It was an absolute dream come true, and I can believe that it was 17 years ago. That's now actually half my life ago!

Anyway, as I recall the orchestra were there on both evenings, certainly on the first night. The reason I can remember this fairly clearly is that on the first time it was played Jimmy had a disaster with the end of The Rain Song, which was fully supported by the orchestra. I was sat in the middle of the audience for this, which was definitely on the first night. They had a strict dress policy which forbade jackets so I was simply wearing a green short sleeved shirt. On the second night I just wore my black denim jacket after realising that they would allow it. Also I sat in an entirely different location. That may seem like a silly point to make, but it it how I can differentiate the memories for night 1 versus night 2.

If I recall correctly they didn't play it again until the following night, at which point everyone game a rapturous applause midway through the ending, once he had got past the problem point. Look, its possible that they played it immediately afterwards to rectify, but I can't 100% recall, but in any case I'm almost certain that this was on the first night with the full orchestra. The set list was largely the same for both evenings, aside form a couple of repeats here and there. I wish I had kept a journal, or at least notes, for something like this as my memory is clearly not up to scratch!

I originally hypothesized with myself that the reasons for its exclusion on the 1994 broadcast was that the version from night 1 had a duff ending and the other version had the ending drowned out by a load of cheering idiots :-)

Can anyone else confirm or shoot down my memories?

In any case two absolutely fantastic days in London.

Tight But Loose fanzine (#10) December 1994) provides the complete song-by-song performance review of both nights you now wish you had written at the time. I shall have to retrieve my copy from storage to confirm or deny your recollections. It's

quite possible copies of Tight But Loose #10 are still available for purchase at www.tighbutloose.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...