Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Hi everyone. Long time lurker.

I have a question about this. I was fortunate enough to be in the audience for these two dates, having been randomly selected from the TBL subscription list (as I understand). It was an absolute dream come true, and I can believe that it was 17 years ago. That's now actually half my life ago!

Anyway, as I recall the orchestra were there on both evenings, certainly on the first night. The reason I can remember this fairly clearly is that on the first time it was played Jimmy had a disaster with the end of The Rain Song, which was fully supported by the orchestra. I was sat in the middle of the audience for this, which was definitely on the first night. They had a strict dress policy which forbade jackets so I was simply wearing a green short sleeved shirt. On the second night I just wore my black denim jacket after realising that they would allow it. Also I sat in an entirely different location. That may seem like a silly point to make, but it it how I can differentiate the memories for night 1 versus night 2.

If I recall correctly they didn't play it again until the following night, at which point everyone game a rapturous applause midway through the ending, once he had got past the problem point. Look, its possible that they played it immediately afterwards to rectify, but I can't 100% recall, but in any case I'm almost certain that this was on the first night with the full orchestra. The set list was largely the same for both evenings, aside form a couple of repeats here and there. I wish I had kept a journal, or at least notes, for something like this as my memory is clearly not up to scratch!

I originally hypothesized with myself that the reasons for its exclusion on the 1994 broadcast was that the version from night 1 had a duff ending and the other version had the ending drowned out by a load of cheering idiots :-)

Can anyone else confirm or shoot down my memories?

In any case two absolutely fantastic days in London.

The orchestras were definitely there on the first night, as that's the only night I attended because I was flying to Athens the next day. I can spot myself in the second row during a few numbers, to further confirm this :)

Steve,

I just read in an article in Uncut that Ian Stewart (or Stu) played not only on Boogie with Stu but also on Rock and Roll. Is that true? Any idea why he wasn't credited?

Thanks

If I recall correctly that is true but you must remember Rock and Roll materialised in about fifteen minutes. If Stu wasn't present during that time then that would certainly explain why he did not receive a songwriter's credit.

I don't have access at the moment to books and things that could further substantiate Stu's involvement with Led Zeppelin at Headley Grange, but I did find this quote from a late 1970s interview with Lisa Robinson that suggests he didn't take the experience too seriously. Of course, that was always a big part of Stu's charm anyway.

Lisa Robinson: Who else have you played with? There's that Boogie With Stu on the Zep album?

Ian Stewart: They were probably scraping the bottom of the barrel, looking for material for a double album. I only played with the Yardbirds on one session when they had Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, and I also played on some Immediate things that were basically two guitar tapes with Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page...they came out in these British Blues re-issue series. There's a thing called the "London Howlin Wolf" Sessions which I got a little bit lumbered with. The producer came over and phoned me and asked me to help him set it all up. People do this. They come and pick your brains, they want you to help, and then say, "Well, if you do it, you can play piano". You know, rhubarb, rhubarb, so I played piano on all of that and then he went away and took the tapes to Chicago and got hold of Stevie Winwood and said "Would you overdub piano because there's no piano on it". Then I had a couple of things with BB King in London, and I've done things with smaller groups.

Edited by SteveAJones

I was under the impression that Stewart was at Headley Grange running the Stones' mobile recording truck while Zep recorded the fourth album. So he was available to jam and Rock N Roll was an improv that he joined on the piano.

So far as I know Jimmy has never placed Stu right at the piano during the fifteen minutes or so it took for Rock And Roll to first materialize, nor that it was recorded.

Edited to add: I've been in touch recently with a former member of the Stones camp (who became very good friends with Stu) concerning some Rolling Stones research I'm working on in anticipation of their 50th Anniversary. I will ask him if he has anything on file (quotes would be great) concerning Stu's involvement with Led Zeppelin at Headley Grange.

Edited by SteveAJones

Whatever happened to the 'Spider' t-shirt of Bonzo's. Seen in SRTS movie, and Bob Gruen'73 photos with the Starship? Someone made replicas of them, but the spider was silver, whereas in the original , the spider was crimson red.

Whatever happened to the 'Spider' t-shirt of Bonzo's. Seen in SRTS movie, and Bob Gruen'73 photos with the Starship? Someone made replicas of them, but the spider was silver, whereas in the original , the spider was crimson red.

It's whereabouts are unknown; it's quite likely it no longer exists.

How much did Zep contribute to the making of Monty Python's Holy Grail? Do they still get residuals?

Always wondered about that, seems like it was probably a great investment for them!

I found some notes. I show the film's budget was 150,000 GBP, but Grant and Page only provided a portion of that amount.

This may or may not have already been asked on this thread, however, I am going to ask anyway.

We all know that our John Bonham died on September 24/25, 1980 in Jimmy Page's Winsdor home. I have read that at that time that Bonzo actually died in the back seat of a moving vehicle (car). This is what I would actually consider a real mystery. How and why would there be reports of Bonzo dying in the back seat of a car when the "official" explanation was that he died in a bed in Jimmy's residence. If he really did die in a car, how and why would "they" place his death at Jimmy's house?

This may or may not have already been asked on this thread, however, I am going to ask anyway.

We all know that our John Bonham died on September 24/25, 1980 in Jimmy Page's Winsdor home. I have read that at that time that Bonzo actually died in the back seat of a moving vehicle (car). This is what I would actually consider a real mystery. How and why would there be reports of Bonzo dying in the back seat of a car when the "official" explanation was that he died in a bed in Jimmy's residence. If he really did die in a car, how and why would "they" place his death at Jimmy's house?

Rumors/reports of John Bonham having passed away in a car are completely false. Tabloids/newspapers often publish inaccurate details in their zeal to be the first to break a story or publish an exclusive. I actually have an article on file that reports there was no trace of drugs or alcohol in his system - go figure.

The fact is John Bonham passed away in one of the bedrooms at Old Mill House. Jason has said Jimmy was careful not to have him stay the night in the same room.

19801008LosAngelesTimes.jpg

Los Angeles Times (October 8th 1980)

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Hi Steve! :wave:

I picked up the BCC2 release and noticed that Chris Blackwell is listed in the lyrics credits. Both Chris and Jason Bonham are listed with Four Sticks Music. Would you happen to know if it's the same Chris Blackwell from Robert's solo years?

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

i was at the troubador in earls court this week and while i know of it's historic musical connections; hendrix, dylan and joni mitchell etc, i hadn't heard that zeppelin had supposedly played and/or partied there after one or more of their earls court gigs. i don't recall reading that before. is that so?

Hi Steve! :wave:

I picked up the BCC2 release and noticed that Chris Blackwell is listed in the lyrics credits. Both Chris and Jason Bonham are listed with Four Sticks Music. Would you happen to know if it's the same Chris Blackwell from Robert's solo years?

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Yes that is the same Chris Blackwell. He contributed to the track "Save Me", I believe.

Edited by Knebby

i was at the troubador in earls court this week and while i know of it's historic musical connections; hendrix, dylan and joni mitchell etc, i hadn't heard that zeppelin had supposedly played and/or partied there after one or more of their earls court gigs. i don't recall reading that before. is that so?

There's a few internet links reporting in cut and paste, word for word fashion they did but I don't have anything on file to substantiate it as a fact. I do know they went back to Blakes Hotel after the first show (May 17th) and partied in the bar. Jimmy skipped the post-gig revelry to talk occult theology in his room with two sinister looking men and listen to a tape of Charles Manson's creepy self-penned songs.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, did John Paul Jones debut his "secret weapon" (Plant's words for the triple neck) in Birmingham, May 18, 1977, when I saw Led Zeppelin? Seems like I read that somewhere, some time ago.

Or has my memory run amok once again?

Steve, did John Paul Jones debut his "secret weapon" (Plant's words for the triple neck) in Birmingham, May 18, 1977, when I saw Led Zeppelin? Seems like I read that somewhere, some time ago.

Or has my memory run amok once again?

Yes, although it was originally built in late 1974.

manson_triple_neck_guitar_11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So far as I know Jimmy has never placed Stu right at the piano during the fifteen minutes or so it took for Rock And Roll to first materialize, nor that it was recorded.

Edited to add: I've been in touch recently with a former member of the Stones camp (who became very good friends with Stu) concerning some Rolling Stones research I'm working on in anticipation of their 50th Anniversary. I will ask him if he has anything on file (quotes would be great) concerning Stu's involvement with Led Zeppelin at Headley Grange.

I just looked as his book and on page 27, Jimmy writes that Ian Stewart played on both "Boogie with Stu" and "Rock and Roll".

I just looked as his book and on page 27, Jimmy writes that Ian Stewart played on both "Boogie with Stu" and "Rock and Roll".

There's no question he played on both tracks but there is doubt he was playing during Rock And Roll's spontaneous inception.

Anyone know the exact date that Jimmy played with Ian Stewart's Rocket 88 in Nottingham in the 80s, and are there any recordings of it anywhere?

June 5, 1984 (Tue) Palais Nottingham, England

Jimmy Page joined Ian Stewart's perennial ad-hoc jam band Rocket 88 for an Alexis Korner Tribute Concert. Korner had died earlier that year.

Rocket 88 lineup: Ian Stewart (piano), Charlie Watts (drums), Jack Bruce (bass), Jimmy Page (guitar), Paul Jones (harmonica & vocals), Ruby Turner (vocals), John Picard (trombone), Willie Garnett (sax), Dick Heckstall-Smith (sax), Don Weller (sax)

There is a very good audience recording in circulation and it is available online as a free download:

"The Alexis Light Orchestra: A Tribute to Alexis Korner"

1. Bring It On Home

2. How Long How Long Blues

3. Blue Monday

4. band introductions/Stormy Monday Blues

5. Splanky

6. Big Boss Man

7. I Need A Man

8. Love and Money

9. Invitation

10. Waiting For A Call

11. Got My Mojo Working