Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

June 5, 1984 (Tue) Palais Nottingham, England

Jimmy Page joined Ian Stewart's perennial ad-hoc jam band Rocket 88 for an Alexis Korner Tribute Concert. Korner had died earlier that year.

Rocket 88 lineup: Ian Stewart (piano), Charlie Watts (drums), Jack Bruce (bass), Jimmy Page (guitar), Paul Jones (harmonica & vocals), Ruby Turner (vocals), John Picard (trombone), Willie Garnett (sax), Dick Heckstall-Smith (sax), Don Weller (sax)

There is a very good audience recording in circulation and it is available online as a free download

A professional-grade recording was aired on a radio special in 1984.

It's possible this radio broadcast is in fact the "very good audience recording" to which I referred. I don't have a recording of this performance and the Stones archivists I've contacted can't say for certain if there's any audience sources in circulation. I will attempt to confirm which station broadcast it and on what date.

Edited by SteveAJones

It's possible this radio broadcast is in fact the "very good audience recording" to which I referred. I don't have a recording of this performance and the Stones archivists I've contacted can't say for certain if there's any audience sources in circulation. I will attempt to confirm which station broadcast it and on what date.

Steve -- there were actually TWO Alexis Korner tribute shows (both of which featured Jimmy). The first one was 6/5/84 in Nottingham and it was aired on Radio Trent.

The second one was 7/16/84 in Pistoia, Italy. This is the show for which an audience recording is in circulation.

BTW, almost every website has the wrong setlist for the Nottingham show (track 7 is "My Country Man", track 8 is "Million Dollar Secret", and track 9 is "River's Invitation").

Steve -- there were actually TWO Alexis Korner tribute shows (both of which featured Jimmy). The first one was 6/5/84 in Nottingham and it was aired on Radio Trent.

The second one was 7/16/84 in Pistoia, Italy. This is the show for which an audience recording is in circulation.

BTW, almost every website has the wrong setlist for the Nottingham show (track 7 is "My Country Man", track 8 is "Million Dollar Secret", and track 9 is "River's Invitation").

I think you've got it sorted; I only have a recording from a third event (at Buxton Opera House with Page/Plant in 1994).

Thanks for correcting the setlist. I thought to myself WTF when I saw online track seven was allegedly I Need A Man. :lol:

1994 !!! I went to this show. They were fantastic. The whole place was buzzing, and if you have ever been inside that Opera House you can understand why. It's a beautiful building designed by Frank Matcham ( i have attached a pic of the place) and i recall it was put on by Noman Beaker - a Stockport based bluesman. I can't be 100% sure but was this the first time Page & Plant had got together on stage since Live Aid?

post-4226-0-30828100-1310491983_thumb.jp

1994 !!! I went to this show. They were fantastic. The whole place was buzzing, and if you have ever been inside that Opera House you can understand why. It's a beautiful building designed by Frank Matcham ( i have attached a pic of the place) and i recall it was put on by Noman Beaker - a Stockport based bluesman. I can't be 100% sure but was this the first time Page & Plant had got together on stage since Live Aid?

No it wasn't :) Great show though.

3 pics from the 7/16/84 Pistoia Blues Festival, shot by yours truly. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I was travelling around Europe, walking through a train station in Italy & saw a poster for this. When I saw that a: Jimmy Page was playing and b: it was the NEXT DAY, I couldn't believe it! To this day, I can still hear the screams of "Jeemay, Jeemay!" in those Italian accents! :D

Jimmy_Page_Pistoia84-3.jpg

Jimmy_Page_Pistoia84-2.jpg

Jimmy_Page_Pistoia84-1.jpg

Date: July 16, 1984

Venue: Pistoia Blues Festival, Piazza del Duomo

1. Keep Your Mouth Shut

2. Gypsy

3. Train Kept A-Rollin'

4. Instrumental

5. Sitting Up Here

6. Mercy

7. Bring It On Home

8. See Me Coming

Jimmy Page - Guitar

Ginger Baker - Drums

Jon Hiseman - Drums

Dick Heckstall-Smith - Sax

Barbara Thompson - Flute / Tenor Sax

Georgie Fame - Hammond organ

3 pics from the 7/16/84 Pistoia Blues Festival, shot by yours truly. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I was travelling around Europe, walking through a train station in Italy & saw a poster for this. When I saw that a: Jimmy Page was playing and b: it was the NEXT DAY, I couldn't believe it! To this day, I can still hear the screams of "Jeemay, Jeemay!" in those Italian accents! :D

Great pictures and great memory for you - thanks!

Going To See The King

On May 11, 1974, Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham) attended Elvis Presley's evening concert at the Los Angeles Forum. During the concert, Elvis stopped a song and jokingly said: 'Wait a minute... If we can start together fellas, because we've got Led Zeppelin out there... let's try to look like we know what we're doing, whether we do or not'.

Their mutual promoter at the time, Jerry Weintraub, took Jimmy Page and Robert Plant up to Presley's hotel suite. For the first few minutes, Elvis ignored them.

Jimmy Page—who had first picked up a guitar after hearing 'Baby Let's Play House' on overseas radio—began to fidget. What was going on? Did he really want to meet them? Should they say something? Elvis finally turned to them. 'Is it true', he said, 'these stories about you boys on the road?' Plant answered, 'Of course not. We're family men. I get the most pleasure out of walking the hotel corridors, singing your songs'. Plant offered his best Elvis impersonation. 'Treat me like a fool, treat me mean and cruuuuel, but looooove me...'. For a moment Elvis Presley eyed them both very carefully. Then he burst out laughing. Then his bodyguards burst out laughing. For two hours he entertained them in his suite. He had never heard their records, he said, except for when his stepbrother played him 'Stairway to Heaven'. 'I liked it', said Presley. Later, walking down the hallway from the hotel room, Page and Plant congratulated themselves on a two-hour meeting with the King. 'Hey', came a voice from behind them. Presley had poked his head out the door. 'Treat me like fooool...'.

ELVISledzep.jpg

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, May 11th 1974

The group's bassist, John Paul Jones did not attend the concert and had never to this point met Elvis. Richard Cole, the band's manager, organised another meeting via Jerry Schilling.

Elvis said it would be okay for them to come by the house.

Jerry Schilling was there on the night of the planned meeting and was 'a little surprised to see that Elvis was in pajamas and robe - he and Sheila Ryan (appears on front cover, Oct '73 issue of Playboy magazine) were getting ready to go upstairs. Jerry reminded Elvis that Richard and John were coming and Elvis remained downstairs to wait for them.

The following excerpt is from the book, Me And A Guy Named Elvis.

From the moment Richard stepped into the house, he was loud and profane, packing an amazing number of f-words into everything he said. 'You know', Elvis said to him. 'I'd appreciate it if you'd watch your language in front of my lady'. Things got very quiet. Everybody sat down and it stayed quiet. Then Elvis decided to break the ice, and asked if he could see the fancy watch that Richard was wearing. Richard handed the watch over, and when Elvis put it on, Richard quickly said that if Elvis wanted the watch, he could keep it.

'Does it have any special meaning to you?' Elvis asked.

'Well, a bit. Atlantic Records gave them to the group', said Richard.

'OK, thanks', said Elvis.

I don't know if Richard expected to lose his watch that easily, but about twenty minutes later Elvis went upstairs and came back down with another watch, a real piece of jewelry, covered in diamonds - a wristwatch you could trade in for a car. Maybe a couple of cars. 'Here', he said to Richard. 'Take this one'. A very stunned Richard accepted. From then on the night was nothing but fun, with a lot of laughs and a lot of quoting Monty Python routines (Elvis was the first Monty Python fanatic I ever knew). Elvis and Richard obviously shared a sense of humor. And I could tell Elvis also liked the much quieter John. At one point, Elvis excused himself, went back upstairs, and retuned with an equally impressive watch for the bassist. Before the evening was over, Elvis said he wanted to make another exchange. He was out of watches, but had another bit of fashion in mind. So he stood, eyed John, and said, 'Let's swap pants', while simultaneously, in expert Python fashion, letting his pajama bottoms drop beneath his robe. The loud Richard was shocked into silence, while quiet Sheila and John burst out laughing. Nobody accepted Elvis' offer, but it was a great note to end the night on.

The concert they attended was released some time ago on the Elvis Live In L.A. Book & CD Set:

ELVISbook_live_in_la.jpg

Live in L.A. features more than 200 photos of Elvis at his various Los Angeles shows. The main focus is on the evening concert at Inglewood Forum May 11, 1974. The CD is an informal 'soundboard' recording of that particular show with a few songs from other shows.

Includes about 20 photos of Elvis live in the 50s in L.A.

Track List: 1. Also Sprach Zarathustra ; 2. See See Rider ; 3. I Got A Woman / Amen ; 4. Love Me ; 5. Trying To Get To You ; 6. All Shook Up ; 7. Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel ; 8. Love Me Tender ; 9. Steamroller Blues ; 10. Hound Dog ; 11. Fever ; 12. Polk Salad Annie ; 13. Why Me Lord ; 14. Suspicious Minds ; 15. Introductions ; 16. I Can't Stop Loving You ; 17. Help Me ; 18. An American Trilogy ; 19. Let Me Be There ; 20. Funny How Time Slips Away ; 21. Big Boss Man ; 22. Can't Help Falling In Love ; Bonus Song: 23. You Can Have Her Tracks 1–20 recorded May 11th, 1974, evening show at Forum Of Inglewood, Los Angles, CA.

Tracks 21+22 recorded May 10th at Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA.

Track 23 recorded May 11th, 1974, afternoon show at Forum Of Inglewood, Los Angles, CA.

This is a soundboard recording, except track 23, which is an audience recording.

ELVIS2.jpg

Joe Esposito (Presley's life-long friend and tour manager) wearing an orange 1975 Led Zeppelin Tour T-Shirt outside of Room 105 at the Holiday Inn hotel in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, 6:30pm on Sept 7, 1976. ELVIS3.jpg

Joe Esposito (Presley's life-long friend and tour manager) wearing an orange 1975 Led Zeppelin Tour T-Shirt outside of Room 105 at the Holiday Inn hotel in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, 6:30pm on Sept 7, 1976.

ELVISjoe_esposito_led_zeppelin_shir.jpg

Joe Esposito (Presley's life-long friend and tour manager) wearing an orange 1975 Led Zeppelin Tour T-Shirt outside of Room 105 at the Holiday Inn hotel in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, 6:30pm on Sept 7, 1976.

Steve, I am not sure if this has been posted, but this video about 6:20 minutes in is where Elvis talks about Led Zeppelin being in the audience.

elvis live in L .A 11/may/1974 afternoon show #6

This was the Alexis Korner Benefit June 5th, 1984. I've had this around on a tape since the 80's. Mr. Page posting a bit of it on his site the other day prompted me to pull it out and digitalize the show. It's a great performance and a very good sound quality recording.

Anyone know the exact date that Jimmy played with Ian Stewart's Rocket 88 in Nottingham in the 80s, and are there any recordings of it anywhere?

Are there any photos out there of Robert introducing Roy Harper at his St Valentine's day Massacre gig at the Rainbow in London on February 14th 1974?

Hi Knebby, this video has a picture..wished we could find this live on you tube, If I find anything additional I'll post them, unless someone else can find them :peace:

Thanks so much for that Deb, sadly it's not what I was hoping for, I've always wanted to see how he looked when he introduced him onstage as he recalled that he was wearing leopard print drapes and had his hair in a quiff and someone mistook him for one of the New York Dolls! :bravo:

Thanks so much for that Deb, sadly it's not what I was hoping for, I've always wanted to see how he looked when he introduced him onstage as he recalled that he was wearing leopard print drapes and had his hair in a quiff and someone mistook him for one of the New York Dolls! :bravo:

This one about 4 minutes in:-)

Roy Harper - South Africa [Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivion] 1974 (It's the backside of Robert, I'll keep looking:-)

June 5, 1984 (Tue) Palais Nottingham, England

Jimmy Page joined Ian Stewart's perennial ad-hoc jam band Rocket 88 for an Alexis Korner Tribute Concert. Korner had died earlier that year.

Rocket 88 lineup: Ian Stewart (piano), Charlie Watts (drums), Jack Bruce (bass), Jimmy Page (guitar), Paul Jones (harmonica & vocals), Ruby Turner (vocals), John Picard (trombone), Willie Garnett (sax), Dick Heckstall-Smith (sax), Don Weller (sax)

Hi Steve, just sent a reply to UNCUT mag as i was the sound engineer that recorded the AK tribute at The Palais, Nottingham UK on 5/6/1984.

The concert was transmitted by Radio Trent (not the BBC) with a little AK introduction.

I have all the tapes which were mixed straight down to 10" NAB reels, its looks like there might be renewed interest in them and might even get released.

also took a few photos, which i might find one day. Look out for Aug/Sept Uncut mag and my letter, hope this helps your info. John Moon

Hi, have let Steve know, but i recorded the concert when i worked for Radio Trent,

this is the TX lineup, as there were quite a few rough songs, i have just refound all uncut tapes which have been in storage,

and hopfully they might get officially released, if not perhaps another way. It was broadcast on the station,

so some folks out ther, might have a lower grade FM radio copys, thanks john moon

Hi Steve, just sent a reply to UNCUT mag as i was the sound engineer that recorded the AK tribute at The Palais, Nottingham UK on 5/6/1984. The concert was transmitted by Radio Trent (not the BBC) with a little AK introduction. I have all the tapes which were mixed straight down to 10" NAB reels, its looks like there might be renewed interest in them and might even get released.also took a few photos, which i might find one day. Look out for Aug/Sept Uncut mag and my letter, hope this helps your info. John Moon

Many thanks, John for documenting rock history live as it happened then & sharing your insights with the official forum now.

I will update my database to reflect these details. Hopefully there will be a proper release one way or another.