Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Many thanks, John for documenting rock history live as it happened then & sharing your insights with the official forum now.

I will update my database to reflect these details. Hopefully there will be a proper release one way or another.

Thanks Steve for quick reply, and will keep you posted, lets hope all all artists involved, still do charity work................

john moon

• Administrators

Not sure if this has been covered before..... There's a Beatles book which chronicles all the rehearsal & studio tapes and I found this interesting reference to Zeppelin / John Bonham.

-- January 22, 1969 --

Someone asks George if he already listened to the new record by Jimmy Page. "Jimmy Page", wasn't he the one who was in the Yardbirds?", he asks. The answer if affirmative, so George is told.

The conversation continues: The largest group is talking at the table. The new band of Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, is briefly discussed. "John Paul Jones on bass, he is very young", someone says. And a kid called John Bonham on drums. He is unbelievable. Fantastic to hear this."

post-5-0-16933100-1311257580_thumb.jpg

Not sure if this has been covered before..... There's a Beatles book which chronicles all the rehearsal & studio tapes and I found this interesting reference to Zeppelin / John Bonham.

Quite cool. So amazing in less than four years they'd become bigger than The Beatles!

That's interesting that he even knew who John Bonham was since the first album wouldn't have been released in the UK for another 2 months. Harrison must have heard an advanced cut of LZ or been in attendance at perhaps one of the Marquee shows?

I'm curious to know what happened to the material that was supposed to be on Outrider as part of the double album that Jimmy had talked about. I know that tapes were stolen from his home around that time but, what about the songs? Has Jimmy ever mentioned bringing the ideas to his project with David Coverdale or Robert when they did Clarksdale or did he just abandon the Outrider outtakes?

I'm curious to know what happened to the material that was supposed to be on Outrider as part of the double album that Jimmy had talked about. I know that tapes were stolen from his home around that time but, what about the songs? Has Jimmy ever mentioned bringing the ideas to his project with David Coverdale or Robert when they did Clarksdale or did he just abandon the Outrider outtakes?

As I understand it the Outrider material that was stolen was merely rough instrumental sketches, not completed songs as such. I do have one outtake, titled Judas Touch, that is complete with vocals but I don't believe it was among the material that was stolen, rather it seems it was deliberately left off of the album. Insofar as bringing old ideas or material to C/P or WIC he has said the opening riff to Shake My Tree was an idea dating back to the ITTOD sessions which wasn't used at the time.

Edited by SteveAJones

As I understand it the Outrider material that was stolen was merely rough instrumental sketches, not completed songs as such. I do have one outtake, titled Judas Touch, that is complete with vocals but I don't believe it was among the material that was stolen, rather it seems it was deliberately left off of the album.

There have been 3 outtakes from Outrider that have surfaced: "Train Kept A-Rollin'" (with Chris Farlowe on vocals), "Muddy Waters Blues" (early version of "Prison Blues"), and "Judas Touch" (with John Miles on vocals).

"Judas Touch" is missing the guitar solo, and besides that it just doesn't sound like something Jimmy would have ever wanted for Outrider. I suspect that it was a John Miles solo demo that he offered to Jimmy.

There have been 3 outtakes from Outrider that have surfaced: "Train Kept A-Rollin'" (with Chris Farlowe on vocals), "Muddy Waters Blues" (early version of "Prison Blues"), and "Judas Touch" (with John Miles on vocals).

"Judas Touch" is missing the guitar solo, and besides that it just doesn't sound like something Jimmy would have ever wanted for Outrider. I suspect that it was a John Miles solo demo that he offered to Jimmy.

I have those tracks as well. You've raised some interesting points concerning Judas Touch. I'll attempt to get some confirmation.

Steve, The lost Sunset Sound Mix as regards Led Zeppelin 4 could you shed any light on the subject. My friend Licec had not heard of this He just saw the Classic Rock cover....

Jimmy felt the mixing that was done in Spring 1971 at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles sounded horrible and chose to have it redone in England. This delayed the album's release to November 1971. I haven't read the Classic Rock feature yet so I don't know what if any specifics are presented, but I will say I think "unsuitable" describes the Sunset Sound mixes more accurately than "lost".

Steve..I'm not sure how much of a mystery this is.. more of a curiosity I think. Do you know if any members of the band are members of this forum? Any idea who numbers 1-4 may be? Or member 666? I have always wondered...just curious.

Steve..I'm not sure how much of a mystery this is.. more of a curiosity I think. Do you know if any members of the band are members of this forum? Any idea who numbers 1-4 may be? Or member 666? I have always wondered...just curious.

These are great questions for sam_webmaster. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong!) the first four accounts were created for the webmaster and site administrators. All others were merely assigned an account number on a first come, first served basis. This means there really is no significance to having 666 or any other account number for that matter.

So far as I know none of the band members are registered members, however if you take into consideration the anonymity factor well we could never know for certain. I do know that some of their close friends and family review the board, as well as former bandmates from their solo projects.

Edited by SteveAJones

Led Zeppelin Mansion Sold To Mystery Buyer

July 14th, 2007

The Georgian mansion in Dartmouth, England which once housed rock supergroup Led Zeppelin has been sold for more than $12 million.

The new owner's details remain a mystery because estate agents involved in the sale have been forced to sign a gag order, forbidding them from naming names.

One celebrity who was interested in the property was actress Kate Winslet, but sources insist she isn't the buyer.

The nine bedroom mansion, known as the Old Rectory at Dittisham, was put on the market earlier this summer by Duran Duran's former manager Michael Berrow.

The impressive estate was once owned by Led Zeppelin star John Paul Jones, who often used the mansion as a rehearsal space for his rock group.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/07/14/led_zeppelin_mansion_sold_to_mystery_buy

Edited by SteveAJones

Property

Old Rectory a proud survivor of rock and ruin

Anna Tyzack

23 Jun 2007

Ravaged by fire, engulfed by Led Zeppelin - yet this home on the Dart is made for fun, says Anna Tyzack

Frances Berrow fell in love with a Georgian rectory while living in a tepee. Her husband, Michael, who was manager of the pop group Duran Duran at the time, had secured fishing rights on the River Dart, but had nowhere to stay. Unperturbed, the couple and their three young children set up camp in the South Hams for the summer.

It was while flicking through Devon Life that Frances spotted The Old Rectory. "I didn't know what to do," she says. "I knew if I showed it to Michael we'd leave London." But eventually she did. And within a few months they had left the capital and moved to the house in Dittisham, overlooking the Dart estuary.

Little did they know The Old Rectory already had rock star connections. Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones lived there in the early 1980s - the band used to rehearse together in an old Sunday School at the property. "It's just an empty room with a lot of plugs," says Frances. But a glance at the large, Victorian chapel window and double- height ceiling is enough to realise this is a room with huge development potential.

Meanwhile, the Berrows have restored the house immaculately. A striking twisted staircase with Georgian banisters sweeps upstairs from the vast entrance hall, and a "ridiculously expensive" skylight three storeys above casts stripes of sunlight on to the flagstone floor.

"Lovely big skirting boards" and "huge French windows" were a priority for Frances, who is passionate about interiors. "I'd always wanted to live in a Georgian house," she says. "I just love the proportions."

But she is first to admit The Old Rectory is not, strictly speaking, Georgian. The original building was destroyed by fire in the 1970s, leaving nothing but the 50 ft sq shell and porch. "It is never going to be Georgian because of the fire," says Frances, "but we've done our best to restore the proportions."

She spent days trawling reclamation yards. The tall double doors leading from the hall to the kitchen are from the National Portrait Gallery and there is an original, Victorian double basin in an upstairs bathroom. Taking full advantage of The Old Rectory's unlisted status, the Berrows took down interior walls to expose the house's huge sash windows and stunning estuary views.

But despite its dimensions, there is nothing austere about the Old Rectory. "We don't do formal," says Frances. The kitchen is the dining room and the study has the best view in the house. Faded Farrow & Ball wall colours and stone and wood floors give The Old Rectory a cool, French feel. Two sets of massive French windows lead from the kitchen to a balustraded terrace with the swimming pool and a large tulip tree directly below.

"People ask why I put the pool so close to the house, but why not?" asks Frances. "I don't want to miss out on any of the fun."

Fun is definitely the name of the game at The Old Rectory. It is a house for lots of people, with eight large bedrooms, all with bathrooms. Beside the front door is an assortment of body boards, fishing nets and buckets and spades. Frances is about to take the children to a surfing lesson and later they are having a barbecue on the beach.

At the bottom of the colourful, six-acre garden, down a rhododendron walkway scented with wild garlic, is an old stone boathouse. "We have permission to convert it into a love nest," says Frances.

At high tide, the water washes into the bottom of the building and the roof space will make an idyllic waterside studio. When the tide is out, it is possible to walk along the beach to the celebrated Ferryboat Inn at Dittisham.

South Hams, it seems, is well set up for the rock-star way of life. "It attracts people who want to get out of the fast lane but still have plenty to do," says Michael. Blur's Damon Albarn, Kate Bush, Jennie Bond, Rik Mayall and Jennifer Saunders have houses there.

"Fish fingers might be out of stock in the Dittisham village store, but they'll always have foie gras," says Frances. Totnes, eight miles way, was declared the capital of new-age chic by Time magazine. "It is a very groovy town," says Michael. "Dartmouth is a little more grown up."

The area is a heavenly place to bring up children, according to Frances, simply because they don't have to grow up. All four of the couple's children attended the local school, walking there each morning.

At night, the lights from Agatha Christie's house on the other side of the estuary throw beams across the water, and on a winter's evening the moon illuminates the estuary. "You can't believe the stars," says Frances.

• The Old Rectory is on the market for £6 million with Marchand Petit (01803 839190)

http://www.telegraph...k-and-ruin.html

Edited by SteveAJones

DITTISHAM

SX8654-SX8754 The Old Rectory

17/263

II

House, formerly rectory. Circa 1830, with late C20 alterations. Local stone rubble originally stuccoed. Asbestos slate hipped roof with deep eaves. Rebuilt rendered axial and side stacks.

Plan: Square plan of double depth or more. At the centre of the north front the entrance lobby with a small room, probably the study, to its right with an open portico in front of the two. There is another room to the right on the entrance front and the entrance hall leads to the stair well behind this room. The room to the left of the entrance and the room

behind are on the east garden front overlooking the River dart. The rooms at the back overlook the south garden. there is a service yard to the right of the house.

Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. 3 bay north front, symmetrical except for the window immediately to the right of the central doorway. The first floor has 3 large early C19 12-pane sashes with rebuilt red brick segmental arches. The ground floor 12-pane sashes are large and are set in rendered elliptically-headed recesses; the sashes on the ground floor are C20

replacements. The central doorway also has a similar arch above, the wide wooden lattice porch has thin columns with spiral trelliswork land entablature with a latticework frieze and modillion cornice. The doorway has C20 glazed double doors and a 12-pane sash to the right within the porch. Cut through the deep eaves there are three late C20 segmental-

headed lead-clad dormers with 12-pane sashes. Similar left hand (east) and rear (south) garden elevations with garden doors at the centre instead of the portico. The right hand (west) elevation facing the service yard has 4 bays of sashes with glazing bars.

Interior: not inspected but may still retain features of interest to be expected in a house of this size and quality, such as a good staircase, chimneypieces and other joinery.

1847734_189cd058.jpg

River Farm and Old Rectory, Dittisham

The Dart Valley Trail follows Dittisham Footpath 3 as it drops steeply towards the village, with River Farm, where building work continues, and The Old Rectory, Dittisham immediately below. The thatched cottage on the right is at Greenway Quay across the river. The view looks across the Dart at its widest point towards Galmpton, with the mud bank, Flat Owers, and Galmpton Creek. Beyond the housing is Tor Bay with Torquay in shadow.

-----------------------------

269233_d8a92856.jpg

The Old Rectory, Dittisham

This fine house on the side of the Dart valley south of the village overlooks two reaches of the tidal river; the one in the background forms a wide area of water, with Galmpton Creek in the distance. To the right are the wooded slopes of Hare Wood, north of Greenway House. Photo taken from Dittisham Footpath 3, part of the Dart Valley Trail.

Edited by SteveAJones

"Fun is definitely the name of the game at The Old Rectory. It is a house for lots of people, with eight large bedrooms, all with bathrooms. Beside the front door is an assortment of body boards, fishing nets and buckets and spades. Frances is about to take the children to a surfing lesson and later they are having a barbecue on the beach."

? "Dude, it'd be, like, totally bogus if you were bogartin' righteous tubes over there, bro-dad"...

spicoli.jpg