Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve,

Great series of articles, and what is eye opening for me has now become a bit of a mystery question: how often or what frequency did the band practice at anyone one of the band member's homes?

These articles mention the band rehearsing at Jonesy's house (although the article says early 80's, it would either be early 1980 or the article is erroneous)...would they ever rehearse at Pagey's, Percey or Bonzo's house at all during the Zep years?

Steve,

Great series of articles, and what is eye opening for me has now become a bit of a mystery question: how often or what frequency did the band practice at anyone one of the band member's homes?

These articles mention the band rehearsing at Jonesy's house (although the article says early 80's, it would either be early 1980 or the article is erroneous)...would they ever rehearse at Pagey's, Percey or Bonzo's house at all during the Zep years?

I'm pursuing confirmation of when JPJ moved into the Old Rectory as I have reason to believe it was post-1980 and as such never hosted a Led Zeppelin rehearsal (as at least one news report alleged).

I have anecdotal evidence that strongly suggests the band may have "rehearsed" at Jimmy's boathouse in Pangbourne the weekend leading into what is normally cited as the first official rehearsal on Gerrard Street on Monday, August 12th 1968 - and almost certainly did so afterward. Other

than that nothing comes to mind as far as full-fledged band rehearsals at their residences.

I have been in contact once again (we met many years ago) with the current and long-standing owner of Hammerwood in East Grinstead and he is receptive to allowing me to share some exclusives with this forum. More to follow in due course as our arrangements are still being made. For those who don't know, Jimmy and Peter Grant purchased Hammerwood circa 1973 with a vision towards turning it into a private residential studio complex that could simultaneously accomodate the band member's families. It became cost-prohibitive and was ultimately abandoned, but not before filming was conducted there for some segments of Peter's fantasy sequence in The Song Remains The Same.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would bring your thread back from the Dead. You may have over 3,900 "hits" but your thread actually slipped into the Page 2 of this Master Forum. (Mine, by the way, has not slipped into the Page 2 in well over a year or two). To me, that says a hell of a lot. And, No, it does not take a Genuis to start such a topic of "Led Zeppelin or Related on YouTube" as I have, however, what I did start, has surely made many, many Led Zeppelin fans Happy because my initial plan all along was to bring Music and Videos (and interviews and so forth) to the forefront when It comes to ANYTHING LED ZEPPELIN OR RELATED. I AM EXTREMELY PROUD THAT MY INITIAL IDEA HAS BECOME SO POPULAR AND SEEMS TO HAVE TAKEN A LIFE OF ITS OWN.

I am currently re-reading the AeroSmith book, "Walk this Way", and in one paragraph, it says that Peter Grant once managed Joe Jammer. As far as I have read (known) I never knew of Peter Grant "actually managing" Joe Jammer. I realize that Joe Jammer was somewhat on the peripherally when Led Zeppelin came into existence. Is this an accurate statement that Peter Grant managed Joe Jammer at some point, early in the rise of Led Zeppelin?

Edited by lzzoso

I thought I would bring your thread back from the Dead. You may have over 3,900 "hits" but your thread actually slipped into the Page 2 of this Master Forum. (Mine, by the way, has not slipped into the Page 2 in well over a year or two). To me, that says a hell of a lot. And, No, it does not take a Genuis to start such a topic of "Led Zeppelin or Related on YouTube" as I have, however, what I did start, has surely made many, many Led Zeppelin fans Happy because my initial plan all along was to bring Music and Videos (and interviews and so forth) to the forefront when It comes to ANYTHING LED ZEPPELIN OR RELATED. I AM EXTREMELY PROUD THAT MY INITIAL IDEA HAS BECOME SO POPULAR AND SEEMS TO HAVE TAKEN A LIFE OF ITS OWN.

I am currently re-reading the AeroSmith book, "Walk this Way", and in one paragraph, it says that Peter Grant once managed Joe Jammer. As far as I have read (known) I never knew of Peter Grant "actually managing" Joe Jammer. I realize that Joe Jammer was somewhat on the peripherally when Led Zeppelin came into existence. Is this an accurate statement that Peter Grant managed Joe Jammer at some point, early in the rise of Led Zeppelin?

First of all this isn't my thread. Secondly, it doesn't have over 3,900 hits it has over 3,900 posts and nearly 147,000 hits. Thirdly, the last active post (prior to yours today) was made less than a month ago - not bad considering this thread is nearly four years old and the group originally disbanded over 30 years ago. Last but not least, there are no prizes to be won here.

Moving on to something relevant, Joe Jammer had originally met Led Zeppelin in Chicago, Illinois at Kinetic Playground on February 7, 1969 and forged a friendship with Jimmy Page. They met again at the Newport Jazz Festival five months later and Joe was asked to go with Zeppelin on tour as a guitar tech. He stayed on with the band until the Texas International Pop Festival on August 31, 1969.

Joe Jammer toured with Maggie Bell in the United States in the 1974-75 as supporting act for Bad Company and is still playing the guitar today.

"...Joe Jammer was a young American guitarist who had jammed with Led Zep on US gigs... was brought over to England by Peter Grant and told to get a band together. Mickey Most was brought in as record producer. I was auditioned and got the drum gig, we started recording both an album and getting a live set together, and were still in this process when the Bath gig came up... we shouldn't have really been on that stage yet. After Bath in spite of the powerful management the band never got a great deal further and I left to join prog rock band Jonesy. Jo Jammer spluttered on with a changed line up for a while before he returned to America. He is still gigging around Chicago to this day I think." - Richard Thomas

"The Gibson stayed with me until it was stolen in the States. I never took it on the road much but things were going so well I decided to start using it. It had a big tremolo are and Joe Jammer custom wired it. I started to use it more then. It disappeared off the truck at an airport as we were on our way to Canada. We advertised for its return but no luck even though it was very recognizable with all the custom work on it." -- Jimmy Page

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve, I enjoy your dead thread and am always curious about all things Zep. Did the band or management to your knowledge ever have any trouble with the government regarding taxes? Alot of cash was paid out for various "expenses" during the touring years. Did this ever get the band in trouble?

I think you would have to ask their accountants that. Fans who keep a record (including me) have no hope of knowing that kind of official detail.

very true, just wondering if their were ever any public news stories that touched upon the issue. If they were an american band in this day and age and got paid cash for their concerts the IRS would take a keen interest i'm sure. I have no idea what the British tax authorities are like.

In wanting to keep your dead thread alive, some juvenile questions at best, but ask away I will.

1. The second leg of 1977 began in Birmingham, Wed. May 18. When the band arrived in the U.S. for this leg of the tour, did they fly together via charter from the U.K., or fly commercial separately, then reunite at a certain U.S. location for the charter?

2. When did the band arrive in the U.S. for the second leg, how many days prior to Wednesday, if any?

3. Was a soundcheck performed by the band in Birmingham,(and elsewhere for that matter) or did they just hit the stage and begin the concert?

4. The band played Baton Rouge the next night. Would the same stage setup have traveled well over 400 miles to be ready for Thursday night, or did the band have at least two stage setups, so the Birmingham stage could have headed to Houston for the concert on May 21?

5.After the concert in Birmingham, did the band head straight to the airport and fly to their home base? Didn't the band hole up in certain "hub" cities in 1977. Leave, play, return the same day?

Steve, I have a few more, but don't want to bore you to tears too bad.

very true, just wondering if their were ever any public news stories that touched upon the issue. If they were an american band in this day and age and got paid cash for their concerts the IRS would take a keen interest i'm sure. I have no idea what the British tax authorities are like.

I can tell you to my knowledge they were never reportedly under investigation for tax evasion. It's well known they entered periods of tax exile, however that was legal and many others did so.

In wanting to keep your dead thread alive, some juvenile questions at best, but ask away I will.

1. The second leg of 1977 began in Birmingham, Wed. May 18. When the band arrived in the U.S. for this leg of the tour, did they fly together via charter from the U.K., or fly commercial separately, then reunite at a certain U.S. location for the charter?

2. When did the band arrive in the U.S. for the second leg, how many days prior to Wednesday, if any?

3. Was a soundcheck performed by the band in Birmingham,(and elsewhere for that matter) or did they just hit the stage and begin the concert?

4. The band played Baton Rouge the next night. Would the same stage setup have traveled well over 400 miles to be ready for Thursday night, or did the band have at least two stage setups, so the Birmingham stage could have headed to Houston for the concert on May 21?

5.After the concert in Birmingham, did the band head straight to the airport and fly to their home base? Didn't the band hole up in certain "hub" cities in 1977. Leave, play, return the same day?

Steve, I have a few more, but don't want to bore you to tears too bad.

I seldom find any of the contributions to this thread boring. Someones bound to post or ask something one hadn't thought about before or comes to find they don't know and must look into further.

#1 - The band was flown into the United States aboard a charter flight from Heathrow which departed London the afternoon of Tue, May 17th 1977. My notes show the flight took them all the way to Birmingham, AL. I don't have confirmation of the aircraft type so it's possible there was a layover enroute for refueling.

#2 - See above.

#3 - I don't show the band having done any soundchecks during '77 tour. Mind you, even for their critically important August 4th 1979 performance they soundchecked less than an hour.

#4 - Despite the distance my notes show the same staging and equipment was used the following night in Baton Rouge. I also show the band took limos from the airport for an 80 mile drive to venue and the show was delayed 90 minutes when they got stuck in the pre-show traffic.

#5 - My notes show they were using New Orleans as their transportation and accomodations hub (the Maison Dupuy Hotel) for all the gigs prior to Landover, MD (May 25th 1977).

With regard to the Birmingham, AL concert I show on March 3rd 1977 it was rescheduled from May 20th to May 18th. Atlanta (5/21 to 4/23) & Greensboro (5/23 to 5/31) also rescheduled.

I seldom find any of the contributions to this thread boring. Someones bound to post or ask something one hadn't thought about before or comes to find they don't know and must look into further.

#1 - The band was flown into the United States aboard a charter flight from Heathrow which departed London the afternoon of Tue, May 17th 1977. My notes show the flight took them all the way to Birmingham, AL. I don't have confirmation of the aircraft type so it's possible there was a layover enroute for refueling.

#2 - See above.

#3 - I don't show the band having done any soundchecks during '77 tour. Mind you, even for their critically important August 4th 1979 performance they soundchecked less than an hour.

#4 - Despite the distance my notes show the same staging and equipment was used the following night in Baton Rouge. I also show the band took limos from the airport for an 80 mile drive to venue and the show was delayed 90 minutes when they got stuck in the pre-show traffic.

#5 - My notes show they were using New Orleans as their transportation and accomodations hub (the Maison Dupuy Hotel) for all the gigs prior to Landover, MD (May 25th 1977).

With regard to the Birmingham, AL concert I show on March 3rd 1977 it was rescheduled from May 20th to May 18th. Atlanta (5/21 to 4/23) & Greensboro (5/23 to 5/31) also rescheduled.

Thanks for the great info Steve. Your reply makes me wonder a bit.

Led Zeppelin played only Rock and Roll for their encore in Birmingham. I've wondered if it was from fatigue they didn't play an additional song per usual, (I don't think that was the issue) or because their plane had to depart Birmingham by a certain time. The airport in Birmingham is 2-3 miles from downtown and I believe incoming and departing flights terminate at a certain time of night.

You stated that Zep headed to Baton Rouge in limos from an airport. (I presume N.O. International)

If Zep didn't depart for Baton Rouge from the Maison Dupuy, but from an airport, that leads me to believe they may have spent a few more quality hours in Birmingham before heading to Lousianna because they couldn't fly out Wednesday night.

Sheer speculation on my part, but what the heck.

Thanks for the great info Steve. Your reply makes me wonder a bit.

Led Zeppelin played only Rock and Roll for their encore in Birmingham. I've wondered if it was from fatigue they didn't play an additional song per usual, (I don't think that was the issue) or because their plane had to depart Birmingham by a certain time. The airport in Birmingham is 2-3 miles from downtown and I believe incoming and departing flights terminate at a certain time of night. You stated that Zep headed to Baton Rouge in limos from an airport. (I presume N.O. International) If Zep didn't depart for Baton Rouge from the Maison Dupuy, but from an airport, that leads me to believe they may have spent a few more quality hours in Birmingham before heading to Lousianna because they couldn't fly out Wednesday night. Sheer speculation on my part, but what the heck.

Now that you mention it, seems quite likely they did stay the night in Birmingham. If they had flown to New Orleans immediately afterward they would have taken the limos to the Baton Rogue show from the Maison Dupuy Hotel instead of from the airport in New Orleans. May have cut the encore short knowing the crew had a 400 mile trek to Baton Rogue to make. On at least one other occasion during the '77 tour they stayed a single night somewhere insead of returning to a hub - for the end of the first leg date at the Pontiac Silverdome I have an anecdote and a photograph of Robert Plant that proves they stayed at the Hilton in Troy, MI then returned to England in the morning.

Edited by SteveAJones

For the Landover gigs in 1977, did the band fly in and then back to New York every night

Where did the plane land at for the Landover 77 shows

For the 75 show at Landover, where did the band stay

What plane was used for the Landover 77 gigs

For the Landover gigs in 1977, did the band fly in and then back to New York every night

Where did the plane land at for the Landover 77 shows

For the 75 show at Landover, where did the band stay

What plane was used for the Landover 77 gigs

For all of the Landover '75 & '77 dates they were staying at The Plaza Hotel in New York. For each date they were flown from Newark International Aiport (NJ) to Baltimore International Airport (MD) and back. They used The Starship in '75 & Ceasar's Chariot in '77.

My mystery is: What was the set played in Iceland, June 22, 1970? It's said that Plant wrote the lyrics for the Immigrant Song in Iceland. Was it made an instrumental for that date? Was Heartbreaker the opener? It's said that Immigrant Song was first played at Bath, June 28th, 1970.

My mystery is: What was the set played in Iceland, June 22, 1970? It's said that Plant wrote the lyrics for the Immigrant Song in Iceland. Was it made an instrumental for that date? Was Heartbreaker the opener? It's said that Immigrant Song was first played at Bath, June 28th, 1970.

As with any performance for which there is no complete recording in circulation - this being one of them - it's impossible to say for certain what was performed, though confirmed setlists from the era offer possibilities. Video footage confirms they performed Dazed And Confused. Robert Plant has confirmed (many times) this trip to Iceland inspired the writing of Immigrant Song, but it's believed the song did not make it's live debut until Bath.

"We weren't being pompous. We did come from the land of the ice and snow. We were guests of the Icelandic Government on a cultural mission. We were invited to play a concert in Reykjavik and the day before we arrived all the civil servants went on strike and the gig was going to be canceled. The university prepared a concert hall for us and it was phenomenal. The response from the kids was remarkable and we had a great time. 'Immigrant Song' was about that trip and it was the opening track on the album that was intended to be incredibly different." -- Robert Plant

Edited by SteveAJones

Can you provide any details of Jimmy Page's relationship with Patti D'Arbanville, the American actress? I think that she was (and still) is a very beautiful woman.

Any relationship between them presumably would have been fleeting. Born in 1951, Patti was raised in New York. She was living in London in the late 60s and got involved in a relationship with Cat Stevens. Jimmy was allegedly at the same party those two met each other at. However, Jimmy met Charlotte Martin on his birthday in Jan 1970, the same year Mick Jagger started dating Patti, the then 19-year-old New York actress and model. Fast forward, in 1982 she gave birth to a son, Jesse, fathered by actor Don Johnson. Patti also shares three children - Emmelyn, Alexandra and Liam - with firefighter Terry Quinn.

Any relationship between them presumably would have been fleeting. Born in 1951, Patti was raised in New York. She was living in London in the late 60s and got involved in a relationship with Cat Stevens. Jimmy was allegedly at the same party those two met each other at. However, Jimmy met Charlotte Martin on his birthday in Jan 1970, the same year Mick Jagger started dating Patti, the then 19-year-old New York actress and model. Fast forward, in 1982 she gave birth to a son, Jesse, fathered by actor Don Johnson. Patti also shares three children - Emmelyn, Alexandra and Liam - with firefighter Terry Quinn.

That is cool. I found a clip on YouTube with Pamela Des Barres and Patti D'Arbanville at some kind of book reading for Pamela's then book, "Let's Spend the Night Together". Patti gets up to read from her chapter from the book and says this about Jimmy Page.

"To this day, the only person I have ever been tongue-tied around completely was Jimmy Page. He was the like the most gorgeous man I had ever seen in my life. He must have thought that I didn't like him but the words just wouldn't come. Jimmy Page was just like a painting, therefore, I was unable to say a word".

This occurred (according to Patti) at some party in England that also included Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Cat Stevens. She did not specify the year, however, I think that it was sometime in 1968 or 1969.

I also remebered reading somewhere that Patti hung out with Jimmy sometime in the mid 1970's when Led Zeppelin were in Los Angeles.

This occurred (according to Patti) at some party in England that also included Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Cat Stevens. She did not specify the year, however, I think that it was sometime in 1968 or 1969.

That party probably was held in 1968 or possibly 1969. It's the same party in London where she met Stevens, and Jimmy was alledgedly there. We know Stevens and D'Arbanville did not meet until after he was released from the hospital (tuberculosis) (year of recuperation possibly began in June 1968). Anyway, sometime after the end of his relationship with D'Arbanville in 1970, Stevens noted the effect it had on writing his music, saying: "Everything I wrote while I was away was in a transitional period and reflects that. Like Patti. A year ago we split; I had been with her for two years. What I write about Patti and my family... when I sing the songs now, I learn strange things. I learn the meanings of my songs late..." [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_Islam#cite_note-RS500-35]

John Paul Jones - Was He There or Not?

I'm seeking to confirm or refute a couple long-standing rumors:

1. JPJ allegedly attended Robert Plant's outdoor concert in Toronto at the Canadien National Exhibition (Grandstand) on July 17, 1985. Supposedly he intended to join Robert for a jam as Jimmy had done in East Rutherford, NJ. I've never seen anything whatsoever to support this claim.

2. JPJ allegedly attended The Firm's Civic Arena concert in Pittsburgh on March 27, 1986.

I've never seen anything whatsoever to support this claim, although I imagine he may have been spending some time in the US promoting the release of Scream for Help that week.

Any assistance would be appreciated.