Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Is there any truth to the rumor that Jimi Hendrix wanted John Bonham to join him in a band?

After the original Jimi Hendrix Experience played what many thought was their last show in mid-1969, there followed a confusing period in which Hendrix was obviously unsure of where to take his music and who to bring along for the ride, or perhaps even whether he wanted a permanent band lineup of any sort. Mitch Mitchell played behind Hendrix at his famous Woodstock performance, but then Hendrix started playing and recording with the Band of Gypsies, with Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums. That lineup did not go smoothly and the original Experience was re-formed in early 1970, but fell apart almost immediately.

By the spring of 1970, Hendrix was playing with Cox on bass and Mitchell on drums. Mitchell has written that Hendrix, after finishing a strenuous tour in September 1970, wanted to keep working with Mitchell, a different bass player than Cox (possibly Jack Casady or Jack Bruce), and other musicians, possibly including the Brecker Brothers and Motown players. Hendrix died before any plans were made.

• 2 weeks later...

My mystery is: What was the set played in Iceland, June 22, 1970? It's said that Plant wrote the lyrics for the Immigrant Song in Iceland. Was it made an instrumental for that date? Was Heartbreaker the opener? It's said that Immigrant Song was first played at Bath, June 28th, 1970.

I'm pretty sure Plant was probably still writing it during their trip to Iceland, I believe the first time they played it was at the Bath festival...

I'm well aware that Zeppelin traveled on The Starship for part of 1973, and for the 1975 and 1977 tours.

But, it's still a mystery to me how the band traveled around for the other tours.

Commercial airline, private jet, private prop, bus, van, etc.

I wish we could archive year by year, even day by day, what hotel, and what transportation the band used, for all of their tours.

I just love to know those "behind the scenes" kind of information and tidbits.....

And how did the roadies get around ?? Where did they stay ??

I'm well aware that Zeppelin traveled on The Starship for part of 1973, and for the 1975 and 1977 tours.

But, it's still a mystery to me how the band traveled around for the other tours.

Commercial airline, private jet, private prop, bus, van, etc.

I wish we could archive year by year, even day by day, what hotel, and what transportation the band used, for all of their tours.

I just love to know those "behind the scenes" kind of information and tidbits.....

And how did the roadies get around ?? Where did they stay ??

I do archive their transportation and accomodation details offsite, but perhaps a separate thread on this topic would be of interest to the forum. Some of the highlights would include a panelled station wagon with Richard Cole behind the wheel during their first North American tour and the night they stayed at Swingo's Keg & Quarter in Cleveland following the concert in Richfield, OH (1/24/75) and were billed $13,000 for damages.

Edited by SteveAJones

I do archive their transportation and accomodation details offsite, but perhaps a separate thread on this topic would be of interest to the forum. Some of the highlights would include a panelled station wagon with Richard Cole behind the wheel during their first North American tour and the night they stayed at Swingo's Keg & Quarter in Cleveland following the concert in Richfield, OH (1/24/75) and were billed $13,000 for damages.

Yes, I remember s/t about a trip in the NW US from that paperback book published by Circus Magazine (?).

More than the trashed hotel rooms, I was looking for the mundane also. The everyday goings on on tour, especially before the heightened security of the '75 and '77 tours.

Steve,

Three part question regarding the Presence album:

1. When Physical Graffiti was recorded over two sessions in late 1973 and early 1974, did they come up with any songs during that time that would be later developed and appear on Presence? It would seem not, since they used leftover material from earlier albums to make PG a double album.

2. Fast forward to 1975, following Earl's Court, Jimmy and Robert reportedly went to Morocco (early June), and reportedly wrote Achilles Last Stand. Did they come up with any other song ideas while in Morocco that would appear on Presence?

3. Finally, post Robert's accident, and convalescing in Malibu, is it safe to say they wrote the rest of Presence in Malibu (and the studio they rehearsed at in Hollywood), or did they come up with any songs on the spot while recording Presence in Munich? I know they recorded the entire album in Munich in 18 days, so they may have had the entire album written going into the studio in Munich.

I believe you covered in an earlier mystery that no leftover material from Presence would appear on In Through the Out Door.

Thanks!

Steve,

Three part question regarding the Presence album:

1. When Physical Graffiti was recorded over two sessions in late 1973 and early 1974, did they come up with any songs during that time that would be later developed and appear on Presence? It would seem not, since they used leftover material from earlier albums to make PG a double album.

2. Fast forward to 1975, following Earl's Court, Jimmy and Robert reportedly went to Morocco (early June), and reportedly wrote Achilles Last Stand. Did they come up with any other song ideas while in Morocco that would appear on Presence?

3. Finally, post Robert's accident, and convalescing in Malibu, is it safe to say they wrote the rest of Presence in Malibu (and the studio they rehearsed at in Hollywood), or did they come up with any songs on the spot while recording Presence in Munich? I know they recorded the entire album in Munich in 18 days, so they may have had the entire album written going into the studio in Munich.

I believe you covered in an earlier mystery that no leftover material from Presence would appear on In Through the Out Door.

Thanks!

#1 - Nothing from the PG sessions was used for Presence. Jimmy definitely did join Robert in Morroco approx three weeks after the final date at Earls Court. Together they attended several nights of the Moroccan Festival of Folklore (June '75), and during their stay in Morocco Robert did write lyrics for what became Achilles Last Stand, near the Atlas Mountains and not far from where he said he had written the lyrics to Kashmir.

#2 - Just ALS - so far as I know - as the bulk of the songwriting was done in Jersey and Malibu.

#3 - Writing new material for the album was done; no songs were composed in Munich, it was strictly recording and mixing.

Edited by SteveAJones

Jimmy Page Performs at New York Stock Exchange

May 11, 2005

Jimmy Page joined Warner Music Group executives on the bell podium to celebrate the company's initial public offering on the NYSE under the ticker symbol "WMG". It provided an opportunity to showcase the new Gibson Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul guitar.

Gibson Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul to Be Displayed at the NYSE

Press release

Source: Gibson Guitar

Warner Music Group Chairman and CEO Edgar Bronfman, Jr. and New York Stock Exchange CEO John Thain visited with legendary musician Jimmy Page recently and were presented an official Gibson Custom Jimmy Page signature model guitar which will be displayed at the New York Stock Exchange.

For more information on the Gibson Custom Jimmy Page Signature model guitar go to www.gibson.com.

NYSE.gif

Guitarist Jimmy Page (center) presents an autographed Gibson Custom Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul

to Warner Music Group Chairman and CEO Edgar Bronfman (left) and New York Stock Exchange CEO John Thain.

20050530Fortune.jpg

Fortune Magazine May 30, 2005

I know there was a video posted of this, but was disabled... If I missed it on another thread apologies:

Jimmy Page - New York Stock Exchange - May 11, 2005 (thanks hercoflex)

Power, mystery and the hammer of the gods.

Okay. I am sure that you are aware we could have a conversation that lasts for months regarding those subjects but one of the most important things regarding power and mystery is how we choose to interpret things. I purchased the hammer of the gods today at a shop called Great Things in Store. The hammer itself might surprise you as it may be nothing like what you might have expected. It is rather quite sweet and I have plans for it. Is your email address still the same? I can send you a photo.

Also thank you for being more open communicating with me again. I appreciate it.

Edited by happiness

Okay. I am sure that you are aware we could have a conversation that lasts for months regarding those subjects but one of the most important things regarding power and mystery is how we choose to interpret things. I purchased the hammer of the gods today at a shop called Great Things in Store. The hammer itself might surprise you as it may be nothing like what you might have expected. It is rather quite sweet and I have plans for it. Is your email address still the same? I can send you a photo.

Also thank you for being more open communicating with me again. I appreciate it.

When I said hammer of the gods I didn't mean the book, though the book is also of interest. My contact details are the same. I am open to communication with others but there are times when I am not receptive, and some would say that holds true more often than not.

When I said hammer of the gods I didn't mean the book, though the book is also of interest. My contact details are the same. I am open to communication with others but there are times when I am not receptive, and some would say that holds true more often than not.

Steve. It is not a book. It is an actual hammer of sorts. Not something that most would associate with the occult. It is sweet. That is why I said that interpretation is so important. I will send you a photo. I hope it makes you smile.

Was Zeppelin ever contacted to play the Ed Sullivan show, the Smother Brothers show, or any of the US television variety TV shows?

That's a good question. No specific offers to the band come immediately to mind, though undoubtedly some were made.Yet they never performed their music on The Ed Sullivan Show, the Smother's Brothers show, nor any other American television program, and there were just a few television performances in Europe.

It's fairly well-known manager Peter Grant was against television performances because of their inherently poor audio quality and he also believed they'd detract from the mystique of the band's live performances.

• 4 weeks later...

John Paul Jones: The 1967 Herman's Hermits Tour of Germany

John Paul Jones has confirmed he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the "Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he did for those songs. He recalls playing in Hamburg, but isn't sure about any other dates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am seeking any additional information from this tour. Venues, dates, setlists. Herman's Hermits had joined The Who for their first American tour in Summer 1967 so this tour of Germany was either in the Spring or Winter of 1967.

This from Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits:

John Paul Jones was the arranger and bass player on a load of stuff and even joined the band for one short German tour (The Hermits were afraid of him!) I can list all his arranged and played on songs when I am at home and can look at my memory.

Regarding the US TV performances,I seem to recall a planned event for 1975 where the band were to perform at a train station in Europe with the intent on broadcasting via satellite back to theaters in the States.

I believe Mr Grant vetoed it based on the limitations of the technology at the time.

Pity they didn't still do the concert though.

It would have been great to have seen Zep on Ed Sullivan or some similar show...even for an acoustic set.

Regarding the US TV performances,I seem to recall a planned event for 1975 where the band were to perform at a train station in Europe with the intent on broadcasting via satellite back to theaters in the States.

I believe Mr Grant vetoed it based on the limitations of the technology at the time.

Pity they didn't still do the concert though.

It would have been great to have seen Zep on Ed Sullivan or some similar show...even for an acoustic set.

If I recall correctly it was a concert to be held at Waterloo Station in London that Summer. Peter Grant did veto it and as I recall he discusses the details in his book.

• 4 weeks later...

#1 - Nothing from the PG sessions was used for Presence. Jimmy definitely did join Robert in Morroco approx three weeks after the final date at Earls Court. Together they attended several nights of the Moroccan Festival of Folklore (June '75), and during their stay in Morocco Robert did write lyrics for what became Achilles Last Stand, near the Atlas Mountains and not far from where he said he had written the lyrics to Kashmir.

#2 - Just ALS - so far as I know - as the bulk of the songwriting was done in Jersey and Malibu.

#3 - Writing new material for the album was done; no songs were composed in Munich, it was strictly recording and mixing.

Steve,

I'm attaching this previous exchange, in case there is some relationship to my question below, since we know Achilles Last Stand was written before the events that would dictate the band recording Presence.

I read that between the 1st and 2nd legs of the '75 tour, Robert and Jimmy went to the Caribbean, while Jonesy and Bonzo went home. Given that there were about 12 days off between the end of the first leg in St. Louis, and the start of the 2nd leg in Houston, I wonder if Jimmy and Robert brought guitars and jammed a little, working on a song ideas, in between getting some sun? I'm sure Richard Cole joined them (maybe even a roadie or two), and wonder if Jimmy and Robert loosely recorded ideas on tape (which possibly could have contributed to what would later develop into songs for Presence). As we know, Jimmy and Robert are the only two credited writers on every song on Presence (except for Royal Orleans). Just wondering if the Caribbean was a starting point for some song ideas.

Steve,

I'm attaching this previous exchange, in case there is some relationship to my question below, since we know Achilles Last Stand was written before the events that would dictate the band recording Presence.

I read that between the 1st and 2nd legs of the '75 tour, Robert and Jimmy went to the Caribbean, while Jonesy and Bonzo went home. Given that there were about 12 days off between the end of the first leg in St. Louis, and the start of the 2nd leg in Houston, I wonder if Jimmy and Robert brought guitars and jammed a little, working on a song ideas, in between getting some sun? I'm sure Richard Cole joined them (maybe even a roadie or two), and wonder if Jimmy and Robert loosely recorded ideas on tape (which possibly could have contributed to what would later develop into songs for Presence). As we know, Jimmy and Robert are the only two credited writers on every song on Presence (except for Royal Orleans). Just wondering if the Caribbean was a starting point for some song ideas.

During the February 1975 tour break Jimmy & Robert did go on holiday to Dominica (Caribbean Islands) while JPJ & Bonzo returned to England. Jimmy had a friend who owned a rum shop in Dominica. So far as I know relaxation was the order of the day as opposed to any songwriting.

Edited to add: I will ask Richard if he went along and if so what he may recall.

Edited by SteveAJones