Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Not to hijack the thread, but the answer to this and many other questions can be found in my recent Led Zeppelin FAQ: All That's Left to Know About the Greatest Hard Rock Band of All Time. I hope Steve A. Jones won't mind me muscling in on his territory, especially as I've acknowledged drawing on his fine LZ scholarship in the book. Now, back to the mysteries.post-12775-0-72967100-1321968081.gif

Unsolved Zeppelin Mystery: "Jimmy Page and James Brown"

On January 16th 2004 Jimmy Page was backstage at the House of Blues in Los Angeles speaking to legendary singer James Brown. He told James Brown he had

attended his gig at the Odeon in Hammersmith (London) in 1970. Given Led Zeppelin's

extensive touring that year the gig Jimmy attended was probably during the summer,

but the unsolved mystery is: WHAT WAS THE DATE OF THE 1970 JAMES BROWN GIG

that Jimmy claimed to have attended?

...some further info. from Rockbackpages.Com:

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/artist.html?ArtistID=brown_james

....By 1977 it is James Brown's 4th Visit to U.K.

...all of his visits appears to be reviewed/documented by Press in U.K........

...The First visit being March 1966, '71, '73, '77, '78.......so forth...

http://www.raysgigs.com/search.php?by=artists&q=James+brown

The '77 show date is January 14, 1977...

The Original Info. I posted at JPTHD..

...some further info. from Rockbackpages.Com:

http://www.rocksback...tID=brown_james

....By 1977 it is James Brown's 4th Visit to U.K.

...all of his visits appears to be reviewed/documented by Press in U.K........

...The First visit being March 1966, '71, '73, '77, '78.......so forth...

http://www.raysgigs....s&q=James+brown

The '77 show date is January 14, 1977...

The Original Info. I posted at JPTHD..

http://forums.ledzep.../page__st__1260

Having assessed all of your findings, the James Brown concert Jimmy Page attended has got to be Friday, January 14, 1977. It's perhaps worth mentioning my notes show the night before (Jan 13th) Jimmy and Robert went to The Roxy in Covent Garden to see The Damned who were supporting Eater; after introductions were made Robert held a long conversation with Rat Scabies. Years later Rat jammed with Jimmy at Nomis Studio in London, on January 30, 1984. Anyway, two of the three other James Brown Hammersmith Odeon gigs in the 70s can be ruled out on account of Led Zeppelin's touring schedule at the time ('71 & '73). The '78 gig is highly unlikely to have been the one he went to as it was on Fri, November 16 and Led Zeppelin were busy conducting Monday thru Friday recording sessions at Polar Studios in Stockholm, typically flying back to London on Friday's for the weekend.

Many thanks!

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

There have been 3 outtakes from Outrider that have surfaced: "Train Kept A-Rollin'" (with Chris Farlowe on vocals), "Muddy Waters Blues" (early version of "Prison Blues"), and "Judas Touch" (with John Miles on vocals).

"Judas Touch" is missing the guitar solo, and besides that it just doesn't sound like something Jimmy would have ever wanted for Outrider. I suspect that it was a John Miles solo demo that he offered to Jimmy.

Is there any way you can post a link to those songs? I've never had the chance to hear them.

I should like to thank Webmaster Sam for answering the above query by private message. I am amazed no one else knew the answer.

Sorry, I overlooked the question. All I can add is back in '72 (probably November) while having sausage and beans for lunch in a pub on Fleet Street Jimmy & Robert conversed with Nazareth bassist Pete Agnew and vocalist Dan McCafferty (who had met Robert in Kirkcaldy, Scotland way back in '67).

Sorry, I overlooked the question. All I can add is back in '72 (probably November) while having sausage and beans for lunch in a pub on Fleet Street Jimmy & Robert conversed with Nazareth bassist Pete Agnew and vocalist Dan McCafferty (who had met Robert in Kirkcaldy, Scotland way back in '67).

Thank you. It was in fact me who had put the above information on the LZ Trivia section on18/11/11. Perhaps you had already read the article on your own account years ago. Anyway, Sam says he is not aware of any official gigs.

EDIT: I checked the band out on Wikipedia, and it turns out it was Deep Purple they had supported - I knew it had been a supergroup, just got the wrong one!!

Source:- Wikepedia After getting some attention with their second album Exercises, released in 1972, Nazareth supported Deep Purple on tour, and issued the Roger Glover-produced Razamanaz, in early 1973.[5] This collection spawned two UK Top Ten hits, "Broken Down Angel" and "Bad Bad Boy".

Edited by kenog

I read in one of my ZOSO fanzines that Peter Grant and Led Zeppelin contacted the acclaimed film-maker Stanley Kubrick and asked him to direct what would eventually become the "Song Remains the Same". Apparently Kubrick responded back and said that with his schedule that he was unavailable at that time (1973). Do you know if this is actually true? I have read that Jimmy Page was a fan of Stanley Kubrick and his movie, "2001: a Space Odyssey". Also, Jimmy has said that the "Object" from "Presence" was partially a play on Kubrick's Obelisk scene in the movie "2001".

Most of US also know that Bonzo and Mick Hinton used to wear the same outfits that the "Droogs" wore in Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange". Another positive reference to Stanley Kubrick and his directorial prowess.

Edited by LZ-ZOSO

I don't mind posing juvenile questions to you, SteveAJones, because you've exhibited great patience with me in the past.

In a nutshell, was there a female friends of the band (groupie) entourage on the 1977 North America tour similar to previous U.S. tours? Or had the machine evolved to another level?

Not interested in details, just the vibe...

Also, were there similar (groupie) scenes in Europe and the U.K. that compared to the States?

I read in one of my ZOSO fanzines that Peter Grant and Led Zeppelin contacted the acclaimed film-maker Stanley Kubrick and asked him to direct what would eventually become the "Song Remains the Same". Apparently Kubrick responded back and said that with his schedule that he was unavailable at that time (1973). Do you know if this is actually true?

On the morning of 20 July 1973, during the band's concert tour of the United States, Peter Grant made a contact with Joe Massot, who had previously directed Wonderwall. Massot was already known to Grant as he and his wife had moved into a house in Berkshire in 1970, where they made friends with their neighbours, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and his lady Charlotte Martin. Grant had previously turned down offers by Massot to make a film of the band, but with the huge success of the band's current tour, Grant changed his mind and offered him the job of director. As Grant recalled:

It all started in the Sheraton Hotel, Boston. We'd talked about a film for years and Jimmy had known Joe Massot was interested - so we called them and over they came. It was all very quickly arranged.

I've never seen or heard anything to suggest there is any truth to Kubrick having been contacted; it seems far-fetched that Kubrick would have been considered the right director to film their musical performances, let alone interested. I have heard Kubrick may have filmed a scene for one of his films at JPJ's home in TSRTS years prior to Jones' ownership of the property but again this still remains just a rumor.

Edited by SteveAJones

I don't mind posing juvenile questions to you, SteveAJones, because you've exhibited great patience with me in the past.

In a nutshell, was there a female friends of the band (groupie) entourage on the 1977 North America tour similar to previous U.S. tours? Or had the machine evolved to another level? Not interested in details, just the vibe...

Also, were there similar (groupie) scenes in Europe and the U.K. that compared to the States?

Certainly Audrey Hamilton cavorted with them on the first leg, and undoubtedly there were other women, but generally speaking that sort of thing had become less dominant. Bear in mind Robert, JPJ & Bonzo also brought their familes over to the US for a portion of the summer leg of the '77 tour.

SAJ, The former Editor of Junior Statesman (Zeppelin Bombay Photos '72) Dubby Bhagat, aka AD Sherpa now with The Himalayan Times/Khatmandu reports the following about Meeting Page (briefly) in London in '73........

couple of my emails correspondence excerpts with the Former JS Editor from Mar'2011....

.... "Alas no sign of the lost JS exist except in the memories of a 50+ generation. When they performed in Bombay I was representing the JS from London and alas missed the concert. I did however meet up with The Page in London later at Ronnie Scotts. ..... And yes I am sole beneficiary of Desmond Doig's estate which didn’t contain any JS back issues. "

"Ronnie Scotts was a club to which anyone dropped in thus my meeting with Page. It was not a friendship jus a drink. This was in about 73. I also bumped into Eric Clapton and number of other musicians at Scotts"

What is the occasion (if any) for Page to be at Ronnie Scott's in '73? According to Timeline Zep is in U.K. month of Jan'73....?

The Late Desmond Doig was a British author, journalist, architect thus mastermind of Junior Statesman, a publication which shares the same Offiical Date as RollingStone...

tks.

Hi, Steve and everyone at this forum .)

i have a few mystery questions ( i apologize if they've been somewhere already)

fairly well-known photo of Jimmy with his father

James Page & James Page

x_63357848.jpg

but any photo of his mother or Jimmy with parents ?

and this one from The Richard Cole Collection

x_d1397c65.jpg

Jimmy with his girlfriend Lynn Collins and Chris Dreja (with the camera) enjoying nature in Mill Valley, California, 1968

any info about her?

Tnx

LM

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa

Hi, Steve and everyone at this forum .)

i have a few mystery questions ( i apologize if they've been somewhere already)

fairly well-known photo of Jimmy with his father

James Page & James Page

x_63357848.jpg

but any photo of his mother or Jimmy with parents ?

and this one from The Richard Cole Collection

x_d1397c65.jpg

Jimmy with his girlfriend Lynn Collins and Chris Dreja (with the camera) enjoying nature in Mill Valley, California, 1968

any info about her?

Tnx

LM

Hi Ledy, although I don't know of any older photos of Jimmy with his mother, I have seen some recent (past year or so?) family photos of Jimmy and his mother but for privacy reasons I can't post them. I think his mother is beautiful - she looks very much like Jimmy (even down to the "smiling eyes") and appears to be very distinguished. Something about her appearance made me think that she raised Jimmy very well as far as manners and class. There is another old photo somewhere online of Scarlet and Jimmy's father (her grandfather) at Christmas, when she was a little girl.

If the Lynn Collins you mention here is the same one who Steven Tyler talks about in his autobiography he describes her as a gorgeous blonde and talks about how she left him for Jimmy. The young woman in your photo is lovely but her hair looks dark so I'm not sure if she's the same Lynn Collins. I can pull out Tyler's book and scan the passage if you're interested in reading it. I don't remember a photo, though.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

SAJ, The former Editor of Junior Statesman (Zeppelin Bombay Photos '72) Dubby Bhagat, aka AD Sherpa now with The Himalayan Times/Khatmandu reports the following about Meeting Page (briefly) in London in '73........

couple of my emails correspondence excerpts with the Former JS Editor from Mar'2011....

.... "Alas no sign of the lost JS exist except in the memories of a 50+ generation. When they performed in Bombay I was representing the JS from London and alas missed the concert. I did however meet up with The Page in London later at Ronnie Scotts. ..... And yes I am sole beneficiary of Desmond Doig's estate which didn’t contain any JS back issues. "

"Ronnie Scotts was a club to which anyone dropped in thus my meeting with Page. It was not a friendship jus a drink. This was in about 73. I also bumped into Eric Clapton and number of other musicians at Scotts"

What is the occasion (if any) for Page to be at Ronnie Scott's in '73? According to Timeline Zep is in U.K. month of Jan'73....?

The Late Desmond Doig was a British author, journalist, architect thus mastermind of Junior Statesman, a publication which shares the same Offiical Date as RollingStone...

tks.

While Led Zeppelin was touring the UK in January 1973, my notes show on January 13, 1973 Jimmy attended Eric Clapton's performances at the Rainbow Theatre. This event was organized by Lord Harlech as part of Fanfare For Youth to mark Britain's entry into the Common Market on Jan 1st 1973. Perhaps Dubby Bhagat's (aka AD Sherpa) encounter with Page and Clapton at Ronnie Scott's occured on this day? Otherwise, plenty of opportunity for Jimmy to find rest & relaxation in London from August '73 to the end of the year (and beyond).

I will attempt to look into this further, as it also falls into the category of "Where's Eric?"

If the Lynn Collins you mention here is the same one who Steven Tyler talks about in his autobiography he describes her as a gorgeous blonde and talks about how she left him for Jimmy. The young woman in your photo is lovely but her hair looks dark so I'm not sure if she's the same Lynn Collins. I can pull out Tyler's book and scan the passage if you're interested in reading it. I don't remember a photo, though.

From my notes:

Boston, MA January 1969: An hour after one of their three shows at the Boston Tea Party that week, Jimmy exits dressing room with Lynn Collins, who had until that time been living with vocalist Steven Tyler on 21st Street in New York.

Obviously, this means the Lynn Collins in the photograph taken in 1968 is not the Lynn Collins who was living with Steven Tyler. All I can add is if I recall correctly the Lynn Collins in the photograph may be the bird Robert recalls opening the door to Jimmy's boathouse in Pangbourne when he knocked upon it in August 1968.