I think D.Lewis gives a comprehensive answer

25 March 1969

Staines Studio

Staines, England

Filming for the movie "Supershow"

dir: John Crome,

prod: Tom Parkinson

Track filmed: "Dazed And Confused"

Over a 2-day shoot at a disused lino factory in Staines, instigated by the Colour Tel film company (their recent credits included 'The Rolling Stones Rock' N' Roll Circus' and 'Jimi Hendrix At The Albert Hall'), artists from the world of blues, jazz and rock got together to be filmed separately and jamming. Zeppelin's involvement stemmed from Jimmy's friendship with the director. The whole project was planned with great secrecy and filming went ahead at a reputed cost of £100 per minute.

The Tuesday filming featured Led Zeppelin, Buddy Guy, Jack Bruce, Buddy Miles, Dick Heckstall-Smith and Chris Mercer. The jam session brought together Stephen Stills, Dallas Taylor, Buddy Miles and Jack Bruce.

Wednesday featured Eric Clapton, Colosseum, Buddy Guy and Roland Kirk. Allegedly, Jimi Hendrix was due to appear but missed the plane from New York.

Zeppelin's contribution was a vibrant "Dazed And Confused". The resulting film, complete with period piece zoom panning techniques remains one of their clearest colour filmed remants of this era.

The original intention was for Zeppelin to perform two numbers, but Plant had problems with his voice so "You Shook Me" was dropped.

The film itself, known as "Supershow", received a limited run in London, premiering at the Lyceum in Nov 1969. It would emerge as an official video release by Virgin Vision in 1986. Page returned to it for inclusion in the 2003 DVD.

Peter Grant recalled: "A mate of Jimmy's buttonholed us into the "Supershow". I wasn't that keen. I didn't even go down to the filming."

------------------------------------------

Bootleg CD References: 'Riverside Blues' (Swinging Pig, 'The Complete BBC Classics' (Immigrant)

Visual References: Official Led Zeppelin 2003 DVD (Warner Vision), 'Unofficial Early Visions' DVD

(Celebration)

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa

Steve,

I`ve always wondered about whether the boys played more than just Dazed and Confused at the Staines 69 show and if so whether any of these other songs might have been filmed. Any ideas?

Ledy Mazeppa has provided a good post. I'm not aware of them having recorded other songs. I've heard the film location in Staines was a disused linoleum factory but the address remains unconfirmed.

• 2 weeks later...

During the February 1975 tour break Jimmy & Robert did go on holiday to Dominica (Caribbean Islands) while JPJ & Bonzo returned to England. Jimmy had a friend who owned a rum shop in Dominica. So far as I know relaxation was the order of the day as opposed to any songwriting.

Edited to add: I will ask Richard if he went along and if so what he may recall.

Jimmy has just provided some specific details concerning this trip in his On This Day feature for February 18th (1975) 2012.

:notworthy:

Question; Why did Plant change the lyrics on the song "Mess O' Blues" on the BBC 1971 radio session to "Minnesota blues"? You can clearly hear him sing "Minnesota" instead of "mess of" throughout the song... Was this to avoid paying royalties? I can almost imagine Page telling Robert to alter the lyrics as they knew they were going to perform this during the encore , to avoid paying Royalties. Or,was it just a Plant joke? (I think on other Boots I've heard, like Going to California, Plant sings the real lyrics).

Steve A Jones,

Are you aware if John Paul Jones played any acoustic instruments (mandolin, guitar, etc.) in his pre-Zeppelin session work in 1964-1968?

Not that I'm aware of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I didn't dabble in sessions. I was doing two and three a day, six and seven days a week. I was a serious first core, bass player and arranger. It wasn't like I did a few sessions. I did every session I could in those days". -- John Paul Jones

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...on the other hand...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You name it, I've done it. I played weddings, I've played Bar Mitzvahs, I've done Irish weddings, Jewish weddings, Greek weddings, Italian weddings. I can play it all". -- John Paul Jones

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by SteveAJones

Question; Why did Plant change the lyrics on the song "Mess O' Blues" on the BBC 1971 radio session to "Minnesota blues"? You can clearly hear him sing "Minnesota" instead of "mess of" throughout the song... Was this to avoid paying royalties? I can almost imagine Page telling Robert to alter the lyrics as they knew they were going to perform this during the encore , to avoid paying Royalties. Or,was it just a Plant joke? (I think on other Boots I've heard, like Going to California, Plant sings the real lyrics).

I don't hear him singing Minnesota and it's included on the official 'Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions' release as 'A Mess of Blues'.

The song was written for Elvis by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman - he released it in 1960 and it was called "A Mess of Blues".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ZweIISlP4&feature=fvst

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve,

I remember hearing a story about Peter Grant mentioning a box to tapes being lost during a tour, but have never seen the article. Do you know where he said this (if he did say it)?

No specific comments come to mind. I've been told the tape of the Santana/Page jam at the Festhalle in Frankfurt on July 1, 1980 which entered circulation many years ago was originally stolen from the luggage of the Santana crew. There are rumors from time to time of video footage and soundboards from the '77 tour that may have been left behind at the venues but this seems highly unlikely.

No specific comments come to mind. I've been told the tape of the Santana/Page jam at the Festhalle in Frankfurt on July 1, 1980 which entered circulation many years ago was originally stolen from the luggage of the Santana crew. There are rumors from time to time of video footage and soundboards from the '77 tour that may have been left behind at the venues but this seems highly unlikely.

I assume this is because Mr. Grant was very protective of the tapes.

Question: Can you throw any light on the jam that occured at Jeff Beck's wedding a few years ago, featuring Paul McCartney on vocals, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck on guitars, Jim McCarty, and some members of the BigTown Playboys? Supposedly a very private affair, but photographed by Robert Knight, and a video exists (according to Jennifer Batten) . Thanks

^

so, 35 minutes for two bands...

supposedly, one of the candidates could be "Whole Lotta Love" from the Royal Albert Hall (?)

Jimmy Page: "Peter [Peter Clifton] came into the equation because he'd been allowed to look at some footage of Zeppelin from the Royal Albert Hall [originally shot by Peter Whitehead and Stanley Dorfman].

Peter Clifton actually made an edit of "Whole Lotta Love", but, at that time, he wanted to include it in this compilation of music from the '60s ["The Sound Of The City"]...... we later thought he'd be a good guy to use on "The Song Remains The Same"....

Edited by Ledy Mazeppa

Steve, regarding 'shooting scene' from TSRTS...

I'm pretty sure that it was shot at Page's Tower House

Design / Interior / wall colours / furniture all very looks like

d2ce2776.jpg

3096706d.jpg

44ff9b59.jpg

064d3b9d.jpg

99ddce71.jpg

4bf42b9a.jpg

23c67dbf.jpg

x_b1944a01.jpg

I think you may have something there! The interior at Tower House definitely seems to match that of the shoot-out scene more so than the interior of the Hammerwood estate. I'll see if I can match the windows more precisely. Of course, we know for certain the exterior shootout scenes and clip of Peter smoking a cigar in the doorway were filmed at Hammerwood.

Question: Can you throw any light on the jam that occured at Jeff Beck's wedding a few years ago, featuring Paul McCartney on vocals, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck on guitars, Jim McCarty, and some members of the BigTown Playboys? Supposedly a very private affair, but photographed by Robert Knight, and a video exists (according to Jennifer Batten) . Thanks

i guess not. So the mystery remains. It would have been nice to know the set list.

Swiss TV listings from Feb. 1972. No idea what the Zep content was....

tv_listings-swiss72.jpg

.....French Television has the following video in their archives although from 1970 show...there are also few other archival videos with mentions/Reports on Led Zeppelin...

(it appears to be similar report on Led Zeppelin in 1972)...

Report including Led Zeppelin starts about 13 min. mark....

http://www.ina.fr/ar...re-1970.fr.html

Patrice BLANC FRANCARD anime cette émission où nous sont présentées les dernières tendances musicales du moment ainsi que, la deuxième partie du concert des PINK FLOYD à Saint Tropez. - Chanson d'un groupe de hippies : STONEGROUND. - Interview en français de Giorgio GOMELSKI qui parle de l'histoire du jazz et du rythm and blues, évoque John MAYALL puis dénonce la confusion existante entre les termes rock et pop. - Revue de presse présentée par Patrice BLANC FRANCARD : il revient sur les revues "Melody maker" et "Billboard" et des reportages sur FAMILY et Led ZEPPELIN. - Deuxième partie du concert de PINK FLOYD à Saint Tropez (Tournage équipe Pop 2).

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

additional Led Zeppelin mentioned/reports on French Television from archive....

http://www.ina.fr/re...pelin&vue=Video

...apolozies if this information is known already...

Edited by PlanetPage

• 4 weeks later...

Swiss TV listings from Feb. 1972. No idea what the Zep content was....

tv_listings-swiss72.jpg

http://www.inamediapro.com/

....I received the following information from this Source Today about the cotents:

Thank you for your enquiry, received on March, 29th, 2012 and the interest you have shown in our audiovisual source.

We are pleased to confirm that these images are from the program “Tous en scène” (“All staged”) as of 05/09/1969 and Ina owns the rights.

However we have no transcript to give.

If you require any further information, please contact the dedicated 'International footage sales' team:

Hoping to hear from you soon,

With my best regards.

Pascale Poher

Marketing Assistant

Pascale Poher

Direction Marketing et Ventes

Marketing Assistant

Tél. : +33 1 44 23 12 66

E-mail : ppoher@ina.fr marketing@ina.fr

Ina

Centre Pierre-Sabbagh - 83-85, rue de Patay - 75013 Paris - France

Tél. : +33 1 44 23 12 12 - Fax : +33 1 44 23 11 12