Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

^ Do we know why 'Plant didn't want to do it'?

Without having direct quotes to reference at the moment, I'll say in my opinion Robert Plant realized a chronological live Led Zeppelin album project with Jimmy Page producing would have dragged on for several months to a year or more. Seems to me Robert wanted to get it done as quickly as possible so he could remain focused on recording his second solo album.

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Seeing the great, many new photos that Sam recently posted from the '75 tour aboard the Starship, got me thinking about how Zep got around in the States during their tours prior to getting the Starship on the '73 tour.

Did they fly commercial, or ever lease a private jet, without all the customziation of the Starship, then later Ceasars Chariot for '77? I know that's a vague question covering the beginning of time (1969 - looks like they did drive some, per Richard Cole's account in STH...i.e. driving in Pacific Northwest through a snow storm), but I guess I would narrow down the question to the one US Tour in 1971 and the one US Tour in 1972, when they were bigger, had more visibility by then than the 4 tours of '69, and certainly more death threats which may have given them more apprehension to fly commercial the whole time during each tour?

I would guess that on the '71 and '72 US Tours, they may have leased a private jet or two, for many legs of each tour...or did they fly commercial? Any particular airlines were they partial to if they did fly commercial during those tours?

Steve,

Seeing the great, many new photos that Sam recently posted from the '75 tour aboard the Starship, got me thinking about how Zep got around in the States during their tours prior to getting the Starship on the '73 tour.

Did they fly commercial, or ever lease a private jet, without all the customziation of the Starship, then later Ceasars Chariot for '77? I know that's a vague question covering the beginning of time (1969 - looks like they did drive some, per Richard Cole's account in STH...i.e. driving in Pacific Northwest through a snow storm), but I guess I would narrow down the question to the one US Tour in 1971 and the one US Tour in 1972, when they were bigger, had more visibility by then than the 4 tours of '69, and certainly more death threats which may have given them more apprehension to fly commercial the whole time during each tour?

I would guess that on the '71 and '72 US Tours, they may have leased a private jet or two, for many legs of each tour...or did they fly commercial? Any particular airlines were they partial to if they did fly commercial during those tours?

Private jets were chartered as early as 1971 and along with commercial airliners remained in use thru June 1973. From then on they leased The Starship and Ceasar's Chariot. Ground transportation started with a station wagon in '68 and eventually evolved

to chauffer-driven limos.

• 1 month later...

This song ("Ten Years Gone"), is maybe dedicated to Maureen sister's, her name is Shirley, somebody told about, so I think that the Maureen Sister's can be the inspiration behind it.

Robert & Shirley dated late 1980's or early 1990 ... do you remember Jesse Lee Plant?

As regards Maureen's sister Shirley Wilson and Robert Plant's son Jesse Lee, I offer this tongue-in-cheek performance from the 1979 Concert for Kampuchea: :)

Edited by The Rover

As regards Maureen's sister Shirley Wilson and Robert Plant's son Jesse Lee, I offer this tongue-in-cheek performance from the 1979 Concert for Kampuchea:

Robert's already explained the lyrics for Ten Years Gone were inspired by a girlfriend who insisted he choose between her or music. It's likely that girlfriend preceeded the Wilson sisters, but regardless none of them have any connection to Jesse Lee.

Robert's already explained the lyrics for Ten Years Gone were inspired by a girlfriend who insisted he choose between her or music. It's likely that girlfriend preceeded the Wilson sisters, but regardless none of them have any connection to Jesse Lee.

None of them? Well one of them is his mother so I would hope she does.

"After we lost John Bonham, we were told - and I know this sounds quite disgusting - that we were contractually obligated to produce another album. My idea was to do a chronological live album. It made sense - you could tell by looking at the bootleg market. But Plant didn't want to do it. And so the donkey work on the Coda album began. I'm not going to go in the studios raking through the shelves of tape, then have someone go 'I don't want that out'." -- Jimmy Page quote from Rolling Stone Magazine, Nov 25, 1993

Steve, always been a bit fuzzy on the details of two of the songs off Coda:

• Walter's Walk - we know the structure of the song was created during Houses recording session, with no lyrics at all I assume since Robert recorded them post Zep when getting Coda together. How much of the song was complete when Jimmy found this in the vaults to add to Coda? Did Jonesy and Bonzo have their parts laid down already, or did Jimmy bring in Jonesy and Jason to finish his Dad's work for the Coda sessions? And how about Jimmy himself? Did he need to re-record/record overdubs during Coda sessions versus what he originally recorded during the Houses session? Never quite grasped how much of Walter's Walk was completed in 1972 during the Houses sessions.
  • Bonzo's Montreaux - what's the story behind Bonzo being in Switzerland in September 1976 and recording this? I believe I read Jimmy recorded electronic treatments (assuming Coda sessions? Or, was Jimmy with Bonzo in Switzerland?). What lead Bonzo (and Jimmy if he did go) to Montreaux that September of '76? Since no festival, I am assuming for tax reasons, but did he plan on recording a drum solo on that trip? Not much revealed about why he went, and why he recorded this when he did.

Thanks!

"After we lost John Bonham, we were told - and I know this sounds quite disgusting - that we were contractually obligated to produce another album. My idea was to do a chronological live album. It made sense - you could tell by looking at the bootleg market. But Plant didn't want to do it. And so the donkey work on the Coda album began. I'm not going to go in the studios raking through the shelves of tape, then have someone go 'I don't want that out'." -- Jimmy Page quote from Rolling Stone Magazine, Nov 25, 1993

Steve, always been a bit fuzzy on the details of two of the songs off Coda:

• Walter's Walk - we know the structure of the song was created during Houses recording session, with no lyrics at all I assume since Robert recorded them post Zep when getting Coda together. How much of the song was complete when Jimmy found this in the vaults to add to Coda? Did Jonesy and Bonzo have their parts laid down already, or did Jimmy bring in Jonesy and Jason to finish his Dad's work for the Coda sessions? And how about Jimmy himself? Did he need to re-record/record overdubs during Coda sessions versus what he originally recorded during the Houses session? Never quite grasped how much of Walter's Walk was completed in 1972 during the Houses sessions.
  • Bonzo's Montreaux - what's the story behind Bonzo being in Switzerland in September 1976 and recording this? I believe I read Jimmy recorded electronic treatments (assuming Coda sessions? Or, was Jimmy with Bonzo in Switzerland?). What lead Bonzo (and Jimmy if he did go) to Montreaux that September of '76? Since no festival, I am assuming for tax reasons, but did he plan on recording a drum solo on that trip? Not much revealed about why he went, and why he recorded this when he did.

Thanks!

As I understand it Walter's Walk was a completed instrumental track for which Robert added lyrics and vocals. Final mixing of It as well as Poor Tom was then overseen by Jimmy for inclusion on the album. So far as I can recall no overdubbing was necessary; certainly Jason was not involved at all.

Jimmy and Bonzo had gone to Switzerland together as tax exiles and during their stay Bonzo's Montreux was recorded on September 12th 1976. Jimmy produced it and also contributed on an A.R.P. synthesiser and guitar.

This is more of a Steve A. Jones mystery than a Zeppelin one but I can't think of a more appropriate thread to address it in. I've always been curious to know if you ever worked for Zeppelin (or any of it's individual members) in any sort of official capacity or are you just a very avid fan of the group?

This is more of a Steve A. Jones mystery than a Zeppelin one but I can't think of a more appropriate thread to address it in. I've always been curious to know if you ever worked for Zeppelin (or any of it's individual members) in any sort of official capacity or are you just a very avid fan of the group?

SteveAJones is a sigil comprised of a base numeric of ten and the All Seeing Eye. If you label me you negate me.

In other words I'd thought a year on ignore was long enough for you but you're still annoying.

IGNORE - click.

To the contrary, I've just always been curious as to your connection (if any) to Led Zeppelin or any of the individual members as you attempt to pass yourself off as someone of that nature. Your refusal to answer pretty much speaks for itself. I'll just chalk you up to an overzealous fanboy.

What difference does it make who SAJ is? It seems like he's a walking Zeppelin-pedia and gives the information that so many of you are looking for. Would it make a difference if he was close to the band or maybe even a band member himself?

Eh, God, I can see it now. If Plant, Page or Jones ever showed up on this forum and openly identified themselves...well THAT, would be a nauseating event. Forum membership would include a drool bucket and a towel to wipe the shit off your nose. Everyone would be so...phony.

SAJ- Long Live your anonymity. :thumbsup:

What difference does it make who SAJ is?

None, really I guess. I've just always been curious if he's actually who he pretends to be or not. I've heard him referred to by others as a narcissist which seems to be as accurate a description as any. Any hardcore fan (or in this case, borderline stalker) could provide the same information that SAJ does. I seriously doubt if he's ever worked for Led Zeppelin in any capacity. If he did, it would be no big secret. Dave Lewis doesn't exactly hide behind a cloak of anonymity does he?

None, really I guess. I've just always been curious if he's actually who he pretends to be or not. I've heard him referred to by others as a narcissist which seems to be as accurate a description as any. Any hardcore fan (or in this case, borderline stalker) could provide the same information that SAJ does. I seriously doubt if he's ever worked for Led Zeppelin in any capacity.

How is one actually something if one is pretending to be it? Who does he claim to be? Who are "others", others on the forum? And a former band member could provide the same information. And I wouldn't go about using the word "narcissist" because I think there are several people here who fall under that category. Honestly, I'm not here for a PhD in Zeppelin, so the information SAJ provides is not something I particularily look for..so I genuinely don't know what you're talking about?

And a former band member could provide the same information.

A fan that keeps a scrapbook of information (as well as old tour programs) could provide the same information. I doubt any of the band members have the acute attention to detail that SAJ displays, oftentimes to the point of being stalker-esque. Who, in their right mind, keeps track of departure and arrival times as well as hotels and motels where the band has stayed over the years? While the information he provides is often invaluable, it's when he steps over the line into other areas that concerns me. I'm sure he would love for people to believe he used to (or does) work for Zeppelin. That's where the narcissism creeps in, with "creep" being the keyword.

A fan that keeps a scrapbook of information (as well as old tour programs) could provide the same information.

Does he claim to be a fan? I do believe he's always maintained his last statement, at least since I started to pay attention.

I doubt any of the band members have the acute attention to detail that SAJ displays, oftentimes to the point of being stalker-esque. Who, in their right mind, keeps track of departure and arrival times as well as hotels and motels where the band has stayed over the years?

Well, judging from Page's OTD and what photographs I've seen uploaded by members on this forum from Page's book, he sure seemed to hold onto a lot of things I certainly would have chucked to the wind?

Edited by betteremily

Does he claim to be a fan?

I'm not sure what he claims to be but he surely intends to come across as someone that is (or was once) close to the band, except in those cases where he crosses the line into stalker territory. Which is more times than he's probably aware of, which again brings up the narcissistic angle. Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate his contributions to the forum, which I have thanked him for on more than one occasion. There's just a certain aspect of the guy which gives me the creeps.

I'm not sure what he claims to be but he surely intends to come across as someone that is (or was once) close to the band, except in those cases where he crosses the line into stalker territory. Which is more times than he's probably aware of, which again brings up the narcissistic angle. Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate his contributions to the forum, which I have thanked him for on more than one occasion. There's just a certain aspect of the guy which gives me the creeps.

The stalker territory you refer to is knowledge of flight times etc, right?