Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Peter Grant's Affinity for Antiquing

Circa January 1976 Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant was the first customer of a newly-opened antique shop in Battersea owned by Jenny Marriott, estranged wife of Steve Marriott. I'm seeking further details concerning the shop, specifically it's name, address and any photographs.

Edited by SteveAJones

Led Zeppelin, the only major Rock group that didn't, like most others, have inner fight after inner fight and egoes so big they didn't fit on one stage together.

Their fans make up for that by constantly hating eachother or being the cause of forum threads filled with 400 pages of insults.

• Administrators

I'm not sure what he claims to be but he surely intends to come across as someone that is (or was once) close to the band, except in those cases where he crosses the line into stalker territory. Which is more times than he's probably aware of, which again brings up the narcissistic angle. Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate his contributions to the forum, which I have thanked him for on more than one occasion. There's just a certain aspect of the guy which gives me the creeps.

For the record, SAJ has never worked for the band or ever had any affiliation with any of the members. I don't see where he has ever claimed that, at least here on the forum. He is a fan.

Jahfin, please use the "ignore" feature if you don't want to read a member's posts. If you continue fighting with others here, you'll end up being banned next time. There are many requests for that to happen already.

Back to the thread.....

:coffee:

[Eh, God, I can see it now. If Plant, Page or Jones ever showed up on this forum and openly identified themselves...well THAT, would be a nauseating event. Forum membership would include a drool bucket and a towel to wipe the shit off your nose. Everyone would be so...phony.]

Never mind that. What would really freak me out would be if John Bonham showed up on this forum and openly identified himself. I'd have to PM Aleister Crowley to share my thoughts.

post-12775-0-89949100-1342705905.jpg

post-12775-0-15247000-1342705934.gif

post-12775-0-92284200-1342705954.gif

Peter Grant's Affinity for Antiquing

Circa January 1976 Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant was the first customer of a newly-opened antique shop in Battersea owned by Jenny Marriott, estranged wife of Steve Marriott. I'm seeking further details concerning the shop, specifically it's name, address and any photographs.

SAJ,

I have looked at my computerised databases for the following UK newspapers for 1975 to present - The DailyMirror, The Daily Express and The Sunday Express - searching for 'Jenny Marriott' and nothing has come up for her. I searched for articles about Steve for the 75/76 era to see if they mention an antiques shop in connection with his name, and there is nothing. The articles at that time about Steve seem to be about his new partner, their baby and Ronnie Lanes' visit to them at their new home. I have attached the scans here just in case you don't have them and are interested.

I shall access my other databases to see if they shed any light on the first Mrs Marriott.

BTW Like Knebby, I am trying to PM you - would you clear some of your inbox (assuming I am not on 'ignore'!)

post-14347-0-34927600-1342707012_thumb.j

post-14347-0-11313000-1342707031_thumb.j

post-14347-0-05486700-1342707049_thumb.j

SAJ,

I have looked at my computerised databases for the following UK newspapers for 1975 to present - The DailyMirror, The Daily Express and The Sunday Express - searching for 'Jenny Marriott' and nothing has come up for her. I searched for articles about Steve for the 75/76 era to see if they mention an antiques shop in connection with his name, and there is nothing. The articles at that time about Steve seem to be about his new partner, their baby and Ronnie Lanes' visit to them at their new home. I have attached the scans here just in case you don't have them and are interested.

I shall access my other databases to see if they shed any light on the first Mrs Marriott.

BTW Like Knebby, I am trying to PM you - would you clear some of your inbox (assuming I am not on 'ignore'!)

My notes show the Feb 7th 1976 issue of 'Sounds' published a brief news item on Peter's patronage of Jenny Marriott's antique shop in Battersea but I have been unable to find any further details whatsoever. I should think were it not for Peter Grant being the first customer the "grand opening" may have gotten no press coverage at all.

Thanks for the related topic scans. I do need to clear some inbox space; rest assured you are not on ignore.

My notes show the Feb 7th 1976 issue of 'Sounds' published a brief news item on Peter's patronage of Jenny Marriott's antique shop in Battersea but I have been unable to find any further details whatsoever. I should think were it not for Peter Grant being the first customer the "grand opening" may have gotten no press coverage at all.

Thanks for the related topic scans. I do need to clear some inbox space; rest assured you are not on ignore.

I am still searching in my databases for something on Jenny Marriott - it will take time as I have access to hundreds of databases! The method of searching which I am finding most productive, is to search for 'steve marriott' and 'jenny', rather than 'jenny marriott' alone. I have had a look in an arts/antiques database, but nothing came up.

I have also looked in yet another newspaper database which covers every national and local newspaper for the UK, and the Daily Mail article below (edited for brevity and relevance) was all that I could find where Jenny is specifically mentioned. (She wasn't even mentioned in his obituary in The Times, nor in any of the accounts of his tragic death.) However, this computerized newspaper database only goes back to 1991.

Chris Farlowe, who collaborated with Steve Marriott in the run up to the ARMS gigs, runs an antiques stall called Out Of Time, so perhaps if you were able to make contact with him, he could possibly help.

Daily Mail, Friday, October 21, 2011

Marriott's first wife, Jenny , once reminisced in an interview for Small Faces fanzine, The Darlings Of Wapping Wharf Launderette, that, while living at Eyot Green, Marriott 'was having a lot of hassle with the neighbours, and ended up writing Lazy Sunday about his time there'.

She explains that Marriott installed several huge speakers from a music studio in the house, saying: 'I didn't blame the neighbours; it must have been hard living next door to him. They complained continuously about the noise, and rightly so.' Those same speakers may be the ones Marriott is seen lounging next to in the promotional film made for the song, which was partially filmed in the garden at Eyot Green. In the same film, he and the other band members do a brief dance, togged up in fancy clothes, with the neighbour's house in the background. Morrall's four-bedroom, fourstorey property was also once owned by presenter Des Lynam, but it's easy to see that, at the time, it was the perfect pop pad.

'It was built in 1962, so when Marriott moved in a few years later, it was still new and trendy,' she says.

'In those days, Chiswick was bohemian. Several record labels were located here, so a lot of musicians based themselves there too. It's more low-key these days.' The properties in Eyot Green, with floor-to-ceiling windows, straight lines and communal green areas, are very different from the surrounding streets of Victorian cottages with tiny courtyards.

For the record, SAJ has never worked for the band or ever had any affiliation with any of the members. I don't see where he has ever claimed that, at least here on the forum. He is a fan.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. 'tis much appreciated.

Chris Farlowe, who collaborated with Steve Marriott in the run up to the ARMS gigs, runs an antiques stall called Out Of Time, so perhaps if you were able to make contact with him, he could possibly help.

Chris Farlowe became an antique merchant in the late '60s. A few years prior he and Jimmy had worked together on sessions and became friends. I've been meaning to ask Chris if he remembers Jimmy purchasing anything from him back then, in particular the Civil War paraphanalia worn while he was with The Yardbirds.

I'm not sure what he claims to be but he surely intends to come across as someone that is (or was once) close to the band, except in those cases where he crosses the line into stalker territory. Which is more times than he's probably aware of, which again brings up the narcissistic angle. Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate his contributions to the forum, which I have thanked him for on more than one occasion. There's just a certain aspect of the guy which gives me the creeps.

Actually, having met the man on a couple of ocassions, I can honestly say that he is neither narcissistic nor a creep. You sir should get back to doing what you do best....commenting on every new album in existance.

+ 1,000,000

I hope SAJ changes his mind, because if he doesn't, it will be very disappointing to have lost someone of his stature, yet still be left with the vacuous blow-hard who caused the problem in the first place.

I agree, and it leaves us with 2 really since Electropile is right on his tail. Interestingly enough, both are in NC. I would have thought there was more to life there.

Irreconcilable differences with the webmaster have led me to decide I could not continue in this forum.

....SAJ, surely you are just upset and when you are ready, please do come back...the fans are always looking forward to your magnificient attention to detail, ...afterall, you are fan of Led Zeppelin...this is a main and only qualification of anyone who gains access and becomes member of this Forum, even James Patrick Page is a fan of Led Zeppelin, our decisions have no impact on Led Zeppelin or that era...our differences..these are just too trivial, to make a moment beautiful for someone is a challenge in life, and I think you are wise and intellegent to let this negativity impact you this way...here is hoping that you the LZ fans will enjoy what is contirbuted from our fellow LZ Fan SAJ.... :notworthy: :notworthy: and leave what is not contributed behind...there are many other things important in life...

Edited by PlanetPage

Actually, having met the man on a couple of ocassions, I can honestly say that he is neither narcissistic nor a creep. You sir should get back to doing what you do best....commenting on every new album in existance.

..Ally I am truly saddened by this...I hope this will lead to postive contribution, sometimes things happen, but I think we are wise at this age to let these trivial things in our life take over...really, we should just come by and have fun with each other talking about LZ and the days gone by...this makes life worthwhile..

Edited by PlanetPage

..Ally I am truly saddened by this...I hope this will lead to postive contribution, sometimes things happen, but I think we are wise at this age to let these trivial things in our life take over...really, we should just come by and have fun with each other talking about LZ and the days gone by...this makes life worthwhile..

Agreed.

Edited by ally

Steve, I truly hope you change your mind. You are an extremely valuable member here.

Sam is beyond amazing.He is beyond fair and puts up with a lot before ever banning a member and runs this forum in a professional manner.So I hope this will work it's way out. Saddens me to see this.

Jahfin, I have enjoyed his contributions in regards to introducing new music as he is very good at this, but why on earth he would come after Steve in the manner that he did is wrong IMHO.

As far as Electrophile, I have no issue with her and while we may not agree on everything I respect her for standing by what she believes..and she gets a lot of grief for doing that.

I know this is none of my business in the big scheme of things, just makes me sad that things like this happen....very sad.

Edit: PlanetPage and ally, I agree with you both!!

Edited by Deborah J

• Administrators

Steve, I truly hope you change your mind. You are an extremely valuable member here.

Sam is beyond amazing.He is beyond fair and puts up with a lot before ever banning a member and runs this forum in a professional manner.So I hope this will work it's way out. Saddens me to see this.

Jahfin, I have enjoyed his contributions in regards to introducing new music as he is very good at this, but why on earth he would come after Steve in the manner that he did is wrong IMHO.

As far as Electrophile, I have no issue with her and while we may not agree on everything I respect her for standing by what she believes..and she gets a lot of grief for doing that.

I know this is none of my business in the big scheme of things, just makes me sad that things like this happen....very sad.

Thank you Deborah, always the voice of reason.

It has little to do with Jahfin, Electrophile. (In fact, I posted that Jahfin will be banned if it happens again). If I'm missing something here and Jahfin should be banned now, then please PM me and I'll gladly look into it.

Here's the ongoing problem: Some occasionally will question whether SAJ is a member of the band and without getting a definitive answer, I'm then being asked directly, so I'm simply answering it. He is not a member of the band. Some also ask (and ask me directly) if he works for the band... He does not. This is what he's upset about. I've always treated him with respect on the board and don't really see what the problem is here.

Thanks for the clarity Sam

..Indeed thanks to our wonderful Webmaster for staying in touch with fan community....it appears to be a small issue, and I am sure that SAJ will join the fan forum again...looking forward to hearing from you SAJ...

Sam, thank you! I truly feel this way about you and enjoy this Forum and most members. I have made some wonderful friends on this forum, Steve being one. Your response again shows the class and what you are as a person with honesty and integrity and warmth.

The crazy part of this is there have been people who ask him if he is affiliated with the band and as far I know he has never stated he was. Then because they do not get the response they want to hear, they ask you! I think it's wrong for members to put you in that situation.

Steve, again, your are valued as you can see by a lot of us, so I hope you continue post here and share your valuable contributions. As a friend, please work this out.

Edit: Steve, I want to to hear you blast me and tell me to get back on topic :friends:

Edited by Deborah J

Steve, maybe it will convince you to stay around if I told you that my good personal friends JIMMY PAGE and ROBERT PLANT told me WHEN I TALKED WITH THEM TODAY that they always look forward to your very informative posts?

I refer, of course, to Jimmy Page, mountain bike enthusiast and long-distance trucker from Blind River Ontario (no relation to the famous rock star), and Robert Plant, retired high school janitor and recreational fisherman from New Westminster BC (no relation to the famous rock star). Hi Jim and Rob!

Seriously, do what you must, but remember your contributions are valued here, and I've also acknowledged you for posterity in one of my books. With peace and trust, you'll win the day.

Jahfin, please use the "ignore" feature if you don't want to read a member's posts. If you continue fighting with others here, you'll end up being banned next time. There are many requests for that to happen already.

Back to the thread.....

:coffee:

....Thank you for this clarification, understood that is difficult for you to communicate with fans in this regard, very difficult position to be,

and SAJ, reviewing the comments herein, I do not think that your spirtiual devotion to Led Zeppelin, their cause/purpose, is questioned or negated at adminsration level, I think that our Webmaster is simply clarifiying in the literal sense that is necessary function of his duty....

and as for the fans questioning, anyone who makes contribution with such magnificent details, SAJ, it is pointless to ponder as to who they truly are...somethings should be just understood....

My guess is SAJ had a post aimed at Jahfin that Sam wouldn't allow. Can't believe the simple clarification that he's not affiliated with LZ would cause such a reaction

But whatever, I'm just surprised SAJ would overeact like this after having been through so many other tussels on this board that were far more acrimonious. So he called you creepy, big deal.

Ignore him and move on. If you really aren't returning, well...thanks again for the Bonzo magazine!