Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Self appointed Troll? :Thinking:

Let me get this straight..I'm a troll because SAJ hosted a thread called " :wizard: I, SteveAJones, a base numeric of ten and the All Seeing Eye, shall answer all ye Zeppelin questions" ? Sounds like a Guru to me.

Maybe you didn't notice, but I was defending SAJ anonymity. Where's that ignore button you're so fond of? Ignore me, please. ;)

Edited by betteremily

I have no beef with anyone here. But IMHO, this is pathetic. He is a self proclaimed archivist. I have not always agreed with Steve (mostly political views), but anyone who has a passion like he does, why do some of you want to take that from anyone?

What is truly bothering me here is that after following this music for decades, I thought music was supposed to bring people together. Not rip each other apart!

Walter, I agree with you^^. IMHO,Steve, has shared a lot, contributed to this Forum and I do hope he changes his mind, but stubborn he can be! I really am grateful for the ones who post here on a regular basis and contribute.

Sam & Steve, my apologies for derailing this thread but I felt compelled to speak up.

I grant that he will be missed up to a point, but many people have since gone since I began looking at this in the mid spring of 2006. I can see the 'stalkerish' thing too. I will say that the best thing Steve did was begin the OTD thread. I am grateful for that being here as it should be. I am sorry for the blow up with Sam, but there is a little of the "wizard of oz" about it. Sam stripped him of his mystery. I will say that he has staid at his word and staid away from the forum. He must have been angry. I have wonder what will happen to this thread since Steve is no longer here to 'host' it.

We all have that passion Deborah. There's a line that should drawn between archivism and sheer stalkerism.

Anyone can go online and find most of the info they seek about this band. We don't need a self proclaimed "archivist" to fan his own glory,especially on this site...probably the reason why many purists "left" this site. "Left" it long enough to watch him 'crash an burn'. I really can't believe it's taken this long...Enjoy the band and it's music,not it's itinerary,for cryin' out loud!!!

Hi Rorer714,

I totally understand just enjoying the band and the music. But each of us do this in our own way. I did not join the Forum until June 2009, so whatever went on before that I have no idea. But seems to me for a guy who is disliked by some, sure is stirring up this thread.

I certainly am sad to see Steve's reason to decide to leave. It just does not make any sense to me, but he has a right to his decision like everyone else...and I do hope Sam deletes these last few pages eventually as this is a great thread...until recently!!

This is the weirdness people are talking about. Who in the world cares that Led Zeppelin's manager visited an antique store in 1976? But not only does Steve have "notes" about it, but there aren't enough details for his liking and he's avidly searching more out. That's the stalker-y thing at work.

Sadly, Steve is NOT the heart of this place. All the members who made up the true heart of this place were driven away or left long ago.

As far as why he's leaving, seems like Stevie's mad that his "image" and his "mystery" that he cultivates has been blown open, and he's been revealed to be an average Joe, albet one with OCD.

i would agree with you there. a lot of the old members do not post anymore, but clearly some still read now and again ( :wave: pilot and rorer 714) it would be great to see some of them return, but peoples lives change, and sometimes your interests wane. i am glad that knebby still pops in now and again, as she and sam are the only ones that i listen to in regards to factual info on the band.

We all have that passion Deborah. There's a line that should drawn between archivism and sheer stalkerism.

Anyone can go online and find most of the info they seek about this band. We don't need a self proclaimed "archivist" to fan his own glory,especially on this site...probably the reason why many purists "left" this site. "Left" it long enough to watch him 'crash an burn'. I really can't believe it's taken this long...Enjoy the band and it's music,not it's itinerary,for cryin' out loud!!!

i agree with you here.

and to dear deborah : please don't be upset by all this. we are not trying to put steve down, i just call things as i see them, and i could see what sam was saying, and like knebby and strider and others, i cannot believe steve has an issue with this. yes, steve has put in a lot of effort to this forum, we all agree with that. maybe now he will look at himself and realize just how far he takes things sometimes. it could be a good thing.

Rorer, with all due respect, what does it matter if people are interested in details ? This arguement has been going on for the better part of 4.5 years now and for the life of me, I can't see anything other than ego's being the reason it's still an issue. I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, just because there was an old guard here for many years , it does not mean that that group of people are or where the only Zep fans in the world . In fact, all it really say's is that those people had the necessary means to access the site...nothing more. Just so we're clear, I have no personal beef with any of the old guard but I have to admit, when I joined this site in 2007, SAJ seemed to be the only person who was willing to listen to new members while many of the old guard where hell bent on discrediting people who had a REAL story to tell. By that I mean, people who actually saw the band live and lived the experience. Let me make this perfectly clear, IMHO,if the old guard really cared about the success of the Official Site, I would have thought that they would have been more interested in sharing their experiences and info with us newcomers as opposed to beating the living crap out of someone who was willing to stand up and share what he could.... That attitude invited conflict and IMHO, too many of the old guard acted as if someone had pissed in their fucking cornflakes. Absolutely childish :thumbdown:

Edited by ally

Rorer, with all due respect, what does it matter if people are interested in details ? This arguement has been going on for the better part of 4.5 years now and for the life of me, I can't see anything other than ego's being the reason it's still an issue. I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, just because there was an old guard here for many years , it does not mean that that group of people are or where the only Zep fans in the world . In fact, all it really say's is that those people had the necessary means to access the site...nothing more. Just so we're clear, I have no personal beef with any of the old guard but I have to admit, when I joined this site in 2007, SAJ seemed to be the only person who was willing to listen to new members while many of the old guard where hell bent on discrediting people who had a REAL story to tell. By that I mean, people who actually saw the band live and lived the experience. Let me make this perfectly clear, IMHO,if the old guard really cared about the success of the Official Site, I would have thought that they would have been more interested in sharing their experiences and info with us newcomers as opposed to beating the living crap out of someone who was willing to stand up and share what he could.... That attitude invited conflict and IMHO, too many of the old guard acted as if someone had pissed in their fucking cornflakes.

ally, i think you are missing rorers point ( ? ).

he was talking more about how far saj often delves into things..... as i said, i do often find myself shaking my head and asking : " who the hell would care about such a thing ?" in regards to something that steve asks for " confermation " on for his " archives " :wacko:

• Administrators

Best to start a new thread for "Zeppelin Mysteries", or we'll consider re-opening this one at a later time.

=============

Unlocking the thread. Stick to the topic, please.

Edited by admin
Unlocking thread

Hi Steve,

Between the June 1973 San Francisco Kezar Stadium Gig, and the first Day on the Green Oakland gig in July 1977, did Zep play any gigs in the US that had an opening act? I'm thinking no, and if that is correct, it's interesting that both Bay Area shows bookend all these live US gigs between with possibly no opening acts (probably Bill Graham liking to make Bay Area concerts all day "events", and convincing Zep to appear as part of an all day concert event).

In fact, thinking about it, had Robert not had his accident in Greece, the late Summer US 1975 stadium tour would have started in Oakland, with both shows being Day on the Green events (seem to recall that Joe Walsh was one of the supporting acts), but I can't recall if any of the other scheduled stadium shows for that tour were scheduled to have an opening act/festival atmosphere (Tempe, Arizona, Kansas City, Denver, Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, etc...).

Between the dates you listed, there were 3 scheduled Led Zeppelin shows with others on the bill, however, Zep did eventually cancel their performance.

1. Mar 8, 1975 W. Palm Beach, FL - BTO and The Pretty Things were also on the bill. Show canceled due to local political issues.

2. Aug 23, 1975 Oakland, CA - Joe Walsh and The Pretty Things were also on the bill. Show canceled due to Plant's car accident.

3. Aug 24, 1975 Oakland, CA - Joe Walsh and The Pretty Things were also on the bill. Show canceled due to Plant's car accident.

There's no need to answer ALL the questions we have, that is a bit far fetched even for a Led Head like myself.

It's also quite impossible but they shall surely try. Personally this thread is a little much for me. I would have never thought to ask for nor could I hope to remember half the info in this thread but it makes for some interesting reading.

There's no need to answer ALL the questions we have, that is a bit far fetched even for a Led Head like myself.

I agree with you but this forum does afford interested parties an opportunity to at least ask so that we can explore the topic further if not arrive at an answer.

Who in the world cares that Led Zeppelin's manager visited an antique store in 1976?

I'm attempting to set the stage for a new thread wherein we can discuss pre-Raphaelite furniture, Art Nouveau and classic cars at length. Peter Grant had a terrific collection of classic cars. Joe Massot filmed him with it for The Song Remains The Same but the footage was scrapped for the gangster's shoot-out sequence instead.

Between the dates you listed, there were 3 scheduled Led Zeppelin shows with others on the bill, however, Zep did eventually cancel their performance.

1. Mar 8, 1975 W. Palm Beach, FL - BTO and The Pretty Things were also on the bill. Show canceled due to local political issues.

Yes.

Cancelled in late February by venue owner David Rupp when promoter (CCC) couldn't provide sufficient financing to meet contractural obligations (a parking lot).

Edited by SteveAJones

Does it matter? There's been more concentrated Zep info here in this thread than anywhere else. If you don't like it, go to another thread.

I just logged in for a look-see and was shocked to see what has been going on in this thread!

I am so happy that Steve is back (miss the old avatar!).

He is an invaluable source of info and I appreciate that he so generously shares it with us. It would be a tremendous loss to lose him as a member.

Jalfin is also a valuable member, as is every other member on here who make regular posts. We can learn a lot from each other if we just give one another the respect that we all deserve and allow one to voice their views and ideas and share their info with us. It all boils down to respect. We may not all share the same opinions and world views, but each person has the right to express their opinions. We can respectfully disagree. There is no need to trash the messenger just because we don't like their message. Keep that in mind when a discussion gets heated up.

That's how I see it.

Thanks to all who regularly contribute to these forums. I enjoy reading all of your posts.

I'm attempting to set the stage for a new thread wherein we can discuss pre-Raphaelite furniture, Art Nouveau and classic cars at length. Peter Grant had a terrific collection of classic cars. Joe Massot filmed him with it for The Song Remains The Same but the footage was scrapped for the gangster's shoot-out sequence instead.

Should be interesting. That is also a part of Jimmy that isn't discussed very much. :D